MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2012, 06:08 PM   #21
sql-lover

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
Yamaha fz6r
2010 Ninja 250 (sold)
2008 Ninja 250 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklineninja View Post
Id go for the triple. Try and get the S model. Well worth the money.
You think?

It looks awesome, but I think that for 10 miles daily commute and weekends, the better suspension will be just a luxury for me, plus a waste of dollars.
sql-lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Air cooled two valve Ducati? Cursed Bike. General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 05-24-2015 10:25 PM
Ducati Valve adj DIY m27 How To's and Q & A's 1 05-08-2007 09:36 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-30-2012, 06:37 PM   #22
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2003 Honda CRF450R motard
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

If you want bullet proof reliability, get the Triumph. Near Japanese reliability with some soul.

Triumph makes an outstanding bike and their triples are the shiznit. Like a perfect mix of two cylinder torque and four cylinder power with a slight Cummins diesel sound. I've owned two and loved them both.

That said, I wouldn't trade my 2 valve air cooled Duc for anything. Not to be Harleyesque, but it's hard to explain why I put up with a Ducati. Mine is older and I have had quite a few Duc motored bikes. Yes, maintenance on the older ones is more expensive. They will occasionally you off. They are stubborn and hard to start at times if it is cold. None of it matters. Ride it, and you will get it.

The newer Ducs are MUCH better than the older ones from a maintenance perspective. I look at my Duc like I look at my high strung 450 tard. It's gonna cost you eventually, but it is worth every penny. If you are OK thinking with your heart, buy the Duc...more of a think with your brain guy...Triumph. I obviously have the Mongo moniker in part for the prior and not the latter.

My simplistic view of the Desmo drivetrain?...it mechanically opens and closes the valves. Therefore, you cannot float a valve. Regardless of certain opinions, they still DO have a redline...esse.

Good luck, you have a great problem to resolve with no downside.

CMRA#665 (neighbor of the beast)
The Problem - Endurance

Last edited by Tojo92; 03-30-2012 at 06:42 PM.
Tojo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:46 PM   #23
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYRDMAN View Post
Upgrading? I honestly think the FZ6r is better then both of those bikes....
OK, we got you on the motard drug. You need to ride my Duc. You in need of some edumacation my friend. Yes, they are "better" from some perspectives, but not all.

I mean an FZ6R is better than a DRZ400... Knowhatimsayin?
The Problem - Endurance
Old 03-30-2012, 06:58 PM   #24
BYRDMAN
WX MAN

Feedback Rating: (8)

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Adventure 1190
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tojo92 View Post
OK, we got you on the motard drug. You need to ride my Duc. You in need of some edumacation my friend. Yes, they are "better" from some perspectives, but not all.

I mean an FZ6R is better than a DRZ400... Knowhatimsayin?
I totally understand but from the original post I thought he meant "upgrade" as in faster-reliable. Reading more posts from the OP seems he wants more of eye candy and rarer sexier. I did the same thing bought my Aprilia Dorsoduro 1200 when I should/wanted a Kawi Z1000. in this aspect I'd get the Triumph

AMERICAN MADE WITH MEXICAN PARTS
BYRDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:01 PM   #25
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYRDMAN View Post
I totally understand but from the original post I thought he meant "upgrade" as in faster-reliable. Reading more posts from the OP seems he wants more of eye candy and rarer sexier. I did the same thing bought my Aprilia Dorsoduro 1200 when I should/wanted a Kawi Z1000. in this aspect I'd get the Triumph
Dorsoduro 1200...excuse me for a moment...

Ok...all better now.

You chose correctly.

You still need to try the Duc though.
The Problem - Endurance
Old 03-30-2012, 08:07 PM   #26
sql-lover

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
Yamaha fz6r
2010 Ninja 250 (sold)
2008 Ninja 250 (sold)

Tojo92 ...

wow, great post, thanks!
sql-lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:32 PM   #27
Grinchy

Feedback Rating: (15)

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinchy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tojo92 View Post
there's an echo in here
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:36 PM   #28
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinchy View Post
there's an echo in here
Yeah...I tend to not read much. Sorry.

If you had posted a picture/movie/cartoon....it wouldn't have happened since I would have picked it up in my scan.

It's YOUr fault.
The Problem - Endurance
Old 04-01-2012, 08:36 PM   #29
jamster

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
01 ducati 996

sorry dont mean to hijack the thread but for those who own ducs, where do you get your service done at? (valve adjustments)
jamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:39 PM   #30
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

We do them.
There's also NW Honda/Ducati and Houston Superbike.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:38 PM   #31
Lucar

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon Samurai View Post
Yeah these guys dont understand the allure of a true motorbike, Ducati.
Lucar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:52 AM   #32
Zapata
a.k.a Dos Equis

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
'13 Victory Cross Country
'13 Victory Judge

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbap()ssy View Post
the ducs valve train is ran off of a belt system instead of a chain (thats the short version) every 7500 miles the valve clearance needs to be checked and belts changed . it's not a maintenance task you should lag on because if the belts slip it will eat valves . Most people knock ducs because of that maintenance
How much it will cost that maintenance? I love the look of Ducat is but to expensive to take care of them, I put like 8000 miles a year.
Zapata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:13 PM   #33
Neon Samurai
3090 MotoGP Champion

Bike(s):
2010 Ducati Streetfighter (sold)
2012 Triumph Speed Triple R
2008 Triumph Sprint ST (Sold)
2014 BMW s1000R
2012 Aprilia Tuono (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dos Equis View Post
How much it will cost that maintenance? I love the look of Ducat is but to expensive to take care of them, I put like 8000 miles a year.
For a 2 valve (Monsters) depends, maybe 700-800 a service....not much more then anyone else really.
Neon Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:30 PM   #34
Bigshankhank

Bike(s):
1972 Aermacchi Sprint SX350
1972 Honda CL175 K5
1978 Kawasaki KE100
1978 Kawasaki KE250
1970 Suzuki TC90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamster View Post
sorry dont mean to hijack the thread but for those who own ducs, where do you get your service done at? (valve adjustments)
Do it yourself. Its really not difficult. Belts, valve adjustments, everything else is no different than any other bike (chain, oil, coolant if water cooled, etc).
D.I.Y.
Bigshankhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:35 PM   #35
Bigshankhank

Bike(s):
1972 Aermacchi Sprint SX350
1972 Honda CL175 K5
1978 Kawasaki KE100
1978 Kawasaki KE250
1970 Suzuki TC90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dos Equis View Post
Modern Ducs (>'08) require valve check/adjustment at 7500 miles, or slightly less than once a year for you. After the first two or three checks (18k - 25k), the valves will "bed in" and won't need to be adjusted after that. I put over 30k on my '04 ST3 and never had to change a valve shim after 12,000 miles. So that cost = $0. Normal maintenance like oil changes which ANY JAPANESE BIKE WOULD ALSO NEED is maybe $40 in oil and a filter. Coolant, brake fluid, suspension, again all of that stuff is common to ANY OTHER BIKE in the same price point and will cost the same.
Buy some simple tools and do your own maintenance.
Bigshankhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:17 PM   #36
Zapata
a.k.a Dos Equis

Bike(s):
'13 Victory Judge

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshankhank View Post
Modern Ducs (>'08) require valve check/adjustment at 7500 miles, or slightly less than once a year for you. After the first two or three checks (18k - 25k), the valves will "bed in" and won't need to be adjusted after that. I put over 30k on my '04 ST3 and never had to change a valve shim after 12,000 miles. So that cost = $0. Normal maintenance like oil changes which ANY JAPANESE BIKE WOULD ALSO NEED is maybe $40 in oil and a filter. Coolant, brake fluid, suspension, again all of that stuff is common to ANY OTHER BIKE in the same price point and will cost the same.
Buy some simple tools and do your own maintenance.
I was not aware of that. Good info. I do all my maintenance and basic repairs. So far I have been able to:

- Change spark plugs and air filter.
- Change oil and oil filter.
- Change brake pads (front and rear) and rear rotor (no idea how to lift the front wheel, any advice?)
- Upload FI maps to the ECU.
- Electrical mods. (wiring for GPS, radar detector, HID light & LED lights).
- Chain maintenance. (clean, lube & adjust)
- Replace FI pump, fuel filter and upgrade fuel connectors in the tank.

Being thinking about the valves check and adjustment but I guess I will let Patrick do that.

Wish I can learn more about Motorcycle repairs.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:23 PM   #37
SideVinder650

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
Suzuki SV650 2nd gen

$800 for a valve adjustment? ... I've been quoted $250 and that includes TPS adj. and TB Synch. (on an Sv650)
SideVinder650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:28 PM   #38
Zapata
a.k.a Dos Equis

Bike(s):
'13 Victory Judge

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90degree View Post
$800 for a valve adjustment? ... I've been quoted $250 and that includes TPS adj. and TB Synch. (on an Sv650)
Is that price because they need to change the belt when they do the valve adjustment. I guess the belt is imported from Italy and that raise the cost.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:42 PM   #39
Squidly

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2015 KTM SuperDuke 1290

I thought the new duc's had a 15,000 mile service now instead of 7,500.
Squidly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:41 PM   #40
CCH
Innocent Bystander

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
2000 Ducati 996
1991 Suzuki RGV250m two-smoke bicycle on crack
1999 R6 sold to a dip$h!t
1995 Ducati 900SP gone, more or less
1999 Ducati 996 died a glorious death in North GA, Feb 2006

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshankhank View Post
Do it yourself. Its really not difficult. Belts, valve adjustments, everything else is no different than any other bike (chain, oil, coolant if water cooled, etc).
D.I.Y.
It's not rocket surgery, but it's significantly different on a desmo than on a shim under bucket motor. I've been doing work on our own Ducs (5 of them) and most of my old Georgia friends' Ducs over the years when I lived in Atlanta. I have EMS shim kits that suffice for most of my adjustment needs, and buy from a dealer when I don't have one that I need.

Lots of idiosyncracies regarding the Duc adjustment that differ from most makes, and they're not very tolerant of getting it wrong.

I did our 2 valve again a few months ago and will be doing the 996 again in the next few weeks. Keep in mind that some of the increase in Ducati valve adjustment intervals for the older bikes (went from a recommended 3000 miles to 6000 miles and have climbed since), is probably as much due to the marketing department as it is engineering. The big downside to Duc ownership has always been the maintenance. You know that the sales/marketing department has been banging heads with the engineers for years to push those intervals out as far as possible without automatically grenading every motor. Yes the parts and engineering have improved, but I spent too many years on the technical corporate side of the automotive industry to believe that the increased interval isn't being driven more by sales and marketing than by engineering.

If you have an older desmoquattro, I.E. 748-996, you will want to maintain a safe interval just to keep an eye on the rockers for flaking and to verify belt tension in addition to the valve clearances.

Like anything else, there are go/no-go numbers for the clearances. Lesser and lazier dealers and techs will charge you an assload to check the clearances and won't touch a thing if the results are still within spec - even if they're on the ragged edge of being out or are all over the board in regard to clearance.

When I check mine, I adjust them all to my desired spec even if the clearance is not out of bounds. I like them to be as perfect and even as possible. It's like the difference between just slapping a motor together or blueprinting an engine and managing every clearance and measurement to your satisfaction. If you find a good Duc mechanic, stick with them. There were only 2 guys back in Atlanta that I would have trusted to work on mine (Lorin Tinkle and Mark Sutton) if need be and a whole bunch of marginal ones.

Don't skimp on the belt intervals either, as there is a recommended time/mileage replacement interval. The Bucci belts are half the cost of the OE and work fine. Bad things happen when they break. I recall my friend Ron snapping a belt and scattering his 916 in the esses at Road Atlanta about a week after having a maintenance discussion a few years back. Gets expensive quickly when you don't take care of a Duc.

We've owned 5 and "babysat" a few others through our garages over the years. Lots of people have talked to me about wanting one and I always ask them the same things: Are you independently wealthy, Are you experienced and technically proficient and capable of working on your own bikes and are you meticulous about maintenance and upkeep? If you can answer yes to at least two of those, buy the Duc.

The new Ducs are certainly better than the old in regard to maintenance and reliability, but they're still not a Japanese inline 4. Having said that, I love my Ducs. You HAVE to love them to keep them around.

Advertisement