MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2012, 03:28 PM   #21
FJRmgm

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Yamaha FJR 1300
Honda CBR 954RR
Yamaha WR250R

since they were non running when you took them in it will be very difficult it was something they did or did not do that caused the failure.

They will contend it was broken when it arrived since it was non running.
FJRmgm is online now   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Storage building liability insurance question Spiderman Off Topic 0 11-09-2012 06:12 PM
locked up engine _ shop liability xrcrx Fresnel Phan Attorney At Law 10 07-02-2011 04:10 PM
Question about MC shop eddiechacon General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 03-13-2011 09:11 PM
Question about a shop... NitroHonda General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 02-09-2011 09:45 AM
Shop Manual question Robopath General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 03-30-2006 02:33 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-29-2012, 06:10 PM   #22
Lokati
Not-a-squid

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
06 ZX6r (the last of the 636)
----------------------
Previously owned (most recently at least):
09 ZX10r, 08 250r, 08 Busa, 07 GSXR 600, 06 CBR 600rr, a couple 50s, 02 R6, '00 Mille, '00 R1

Member Garage

I'm just a little torn right now.

I brought in two non-running jet skis, both with no compression on 3rd cylinder. I requested that the damages be diagnosed. I was told the engine was torn apart and all it needed was a new top end which I agreed to. Immediately upon test run of the new top end (and several other small parts, eg.. battery) it throws a rod stinks of improper diagnosis to me.

I'm not looking to "get some cash" for the failure to properly repair it, but I don't think its fair that I pay for parts and repairs on a jetski when the parts and repairs that were performed directly or indirectly caused a massive failure, or if the parts and repairs done were less than was neccesary to safely repair the jetski.

Am I being unreasonable in that?

Though I'm ok with paying for the work done on the non-damaged jet ski of course.

I haven't spoken yet with the repair shop yet about this whole deal because they haven't water tested the other jet ski yet and I don't want to start creating drama until I receive a bill and then go from there.
Lokati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:13 PM   #23
chingpo05

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
05 r6

test the other jet and try to save your loses. try to cut a deal with them if you give em the title for the broken one. im sure they could turn around and sell it for a profit.
chingpo05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:15 PM   #24
dabus63
Senőr Member

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 GSXR 1000
04 R1 (sold)
04 R6 (stolen)
99 GSXR 750 (sold)
1990 YSR 50 (in storage)

Member Garage

well, if the shop tore it apart, diagnosed the problem and then put it all back together, then I agree with your feeling of not wanting to pay for the 2nd job?

If I took my vehicle to a repair shop and they took it apart and told me what was wrong and then I authorize the repair and they put it all back together then break something? Then I am inclined to think that the shop was incompetent and/or negligent with their work and that any damage caused there after they worked on my vehicle is their fault?
Just my 2 cents...
dabus63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:29 PM   #25
NICKR1
I eat my r1

Trackdays: 10+

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabus63 View Post
well, if the shop tore it apart, diagnosed the problem and then put it all back together, then I agree with your feeling of not wanting to pay for the 2nd job?

If I took my vehicle to a repair shop and they took it apart and told me what was wrong and then I authorize the repair and they put it all back together then break something? Then I am inclined to think that the shop was incompetent and/or negligent with their work and that any damage caused there after they worked on my vehicle is their fault?
Just my 2 cents...
+1

i agree with this, if the diagnosis was done incorrectly or they overlooked somethings.
NICKR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:37 PM   #26
Grinchy

Feedback Rating: (15)

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabus63 View Post

Just my 2 cents...
+2
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:09 PM   #27
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2003 Honda CRF450R motard
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

Show up yelling and screaming...tell them they owe you two NEW ones.

I imagine if it is a reputable shop, they will have a fair answer. I agree about staying cool and just asking what they think is appropiate...then see what they offer. I would think they would repair the ski, and still charge you the original fee you were quoted. That seems fair to me.

Good luck.
CMRA#665 (neighbor of the beast)
The Problem - Endurance
Tojo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:15 PM   #28
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

Pay the full repair bill on the functional ski and negotiate shop cost for parts on the broken ski and free labor on that ski. Take your functional ski and enjoy it while looking for a used engine on pwctoday.com. buy a used engine and a top end gasket kit and then pay someone like magicman to swap the new top end to the old ski. Cut your losses and consider it a lesson learned. I think we all tried to warn you...some lessons are the hardest learned. I think the shop is to blame if they did a full inspection but that's a battle you're not likely to win. Maybe I missed it, but what shop was able to get you in and out that fast with a busy spring pwc maintenance schedule?
Old 03-30-2012, 09:17 AM   #29
Lokati
Not-a-squid

Bike(s):
06 ZX6r (the last of the 636)
----------------------
Previously owned (most recently at least):
09 ZX10r, 08 250r, 08 Busa, 07 GSXR 600, 06 CBR 600rr, a couple 50s, 02 R6, '00 Mille, '00 R1

Member Garage

Shop offered to charge me 875$ in total for all the repairs (I know they paid over 1200$ in parts alone).

I never implied that I was upset with what happened, or asked for a better deal, I imagine the original bill would have been over 2000$ easy. He apologized for what happened, and advised that I sell both jet skis and get out of them quick as the "direct injection" jet skis commonly have a -ton of problems as a result of poor design.

I couldn't be happier with the result.
Lokati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:34 AM   #30
dabus63
Senőr Member

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 GSXR 1000
04 R1 (sold)
04 R6 (stolen)
99 GSXR 750 (sold)
1990 YSR 50 (in storage)

Member Garage

awesome, good deal, and that was fair.
dabus63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:50 PM   #31
anatram
I love nekkid midgets

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
07 HD XL1200C

01 XR fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokati View Post
Shop offered to charge me 875$ in total for all the repairs (I know they paid over 1200$ in parts alone).

I never implied that I was upset with what happened, or asked for a better deal, I imagine the original bill would have been over 2000$ easy. He apologized for what happened, and advised that I sell both jet skis and get out of them quick as the "direct injection" jet skis commonly have a -ton of problems as a result of poor design.

I couldn't be happier with the result.
Direct injection are a pain in the and known for the bottom end.

I would disconnect all the direect injection and go straight to pre-mix, it eliminates the potential for an expensive up.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:52 PM   #32
Mayday0017

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2003 R6 Trackbike

Send a message via AIM to Mayday0017
Top end rebuild doesn't typically require touching the bottom end... On the down side clearance is typically VERY close between crank and block on lower end. Depending on why there is no compression on #3 there are good odds some trash had fell down from that cylinder got caught between crank and case and punched a nice hole in the case. At least that's what happend to me on a ski I bought once.... Another thing I've seen happen is places use starter fluid to help get the motor started and adjust the carbs. HORRIABLE idea on a 2 stroke and should NEVER happen! 2 strokes use the crank case to mix the air and fuel and when you introduce a high flash solvent like starter fluid into the case it doesn't take much to ignite it resulting in a small explosion inside the case... So many possibilities, makes me curious what really happend... pics?

Trackday Registration:www.fastlinemcs.com

Motorcycles Unlimited / EBC Brake Pads www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
Mayday0017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:14 PM   #33
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2003 Honda CRF450R motard
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

Sounds like a good shop, care to give them a plug?

No...I don't have a clue and I am not linked.

Staton
CMRA#665 (neighbor of the beast)
The Problem - Endurance
Tojo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:21 PM   #34
Renzo
I do not consent

Feedback Rating: (13)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
r6