MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2012, 06:39 PM   #41
lbjasonc
Doin it big!

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
06 gsxr1Theezy

good write up Cdill
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
love ur pit!!!!! possible re-post plummer Off Topic 60 01-10-2011 09:09 AM
50 stunting. post ur pics G1xx3rGuy08 Stunters Lounge 5 03-04-2010 11:35 AM
hey mr. unassailable! could u post some pics of ur track bike? lbjasonc Off Topic 52 08-25-2009 06:50 PM
Results from my last race ever... Mr. Unassailable Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 6 07-08-2007 07:46 PM
delete ur own "new topic" post cytukyl Forum Updates & Feedback 2 10-29-2005 03:45 AM
Advertisement
Old 03-28-2012, 08:35 PM   #42
dinosaur
Retired in place

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'05 Zx6-R (636)Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
Dang! I forgot about that whole R6 ordeal. LOL Geez... I was so clueless. Still am about a lot of stuff.

To answer your questions it's a combination of all those things but I think I just wanted to go fast and I knew that I didn't know how to so I was very teachable. One thing that I have always done is TRY everything that the fast guys suggested I try and I never made excuses. Sometimes when I work with guys every critique I give them, they give me a reason or excuse for it. How can you really progress like that?

I always tried to keep up with the guy that just passed me, I listened to guys like Ty, Alonzo, Jimmy, Allan, Irish and others who were all faster than me. I crashed a lot, wasn't overly scared (can't say I wasn't scared at all cuz I get scared all the time!), I lost weight, took advanced classes, made a bunch of mistakes and I really cared about my lap times.

Nowadays I just try to keep my weight down and try to hang with the front runners for as long as I can and ain't scared to crash trying.

I also endurance race.

I need about 2 seconds at every single track.

On deck is doing something with this stock motor.

Edit: And I don't have this stuff figured out yet. Not even close. I'm still amazed at the guys in front of me. I have a long way to go to get where I want to be, but it isn't as far away as it once was.
good planning, when i grow up i want to be as fast as cdill(i wish)
CMRA #414
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:09 PM   #43
GrayJ
Do a barrel roll!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2004 SV650
1998 Shadow 1100
2005 CRF450R tard
2007 CRF50
Yamaha PW 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by white98z View Post
Way to go those arent bad results. You can get 2:00 easy work on a couple corners.
Thanks, and thanks for all of your help on getting me out there. The plastics are badass, and at least made me look faster with all those stickers and rashes lol. You really saved me with the broken shifter too, I was kind of screwed there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
good planning, when i grow up i want to be as fast as cdill(i wish)
That was exactly what I was going to say! haha. Now where's that nut swinging smiley?

And big thanks to Mekrew for the help in the pits. That made a big difference on keeping it all stress free on getting out to the grid and not missing anouncements
GrayJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:05 PM   #44
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

A few of us from Fastline (R6 #74) put in a poor effort to take a clapped out 2003 R6 and give it a run in SSCE endurance. We had an oil weep we had to diaper, a rear tire that gave out fast and early, a water boiling issue, and no one liked the bike or suspension. Late in the day we just called it quits and went back to the pits tired and exhausted after a mere 93 laps.

The good news is that I (Novice #486) got to go CMRA racing after a 7 year break from my first and only endurance race. 3 30 minutes stints. Man o man I forgot how fast race pace is. Relatively speaking, I improved a lot, and turned my first 2:00 minute lap at TWS (Texas World Speedway), dragging both knees, sliding all around, and generally getting in the way of guys who know the race line there. 7 years ago a 2:10 was a pipe dream for me. Now, I can visualize 1:50's by end of the year. Bad news is, I got passed all three stints like I was sitting still. Towards the end I started feeling it, but the tire was so far gone it was slip and slide out of every corner. Flat track fun. Makes me think that on a good bike I could have hit 55's or so. Freaking fun fun fun.

My son Sid (186 Novice) turned a 1:57 on the same bike. Unfortunately, on Sunday in practice on his sprint bike he ran off and splashed into the only water hazard at the track. This is kind of a habit for him, lol. Not crashing, but finding off track water hazards wherever they exist. He pin holed the radiator on his gixxer and had to pull out of SSB and SSB Novice sprints. He'll get em at ECR next month, and we'll be back in action on the R6 with fresh meat, fresh valve adjustment, a suspension set up, and renewed hope for keeping up with someone, lol.

I can't wait for ECR. Gonna endurance the Ninja 250, and the R6. Woot Woot.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:15 PM   #45
EazyG

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
07 R6 - track
06 YZ450F - dirt
16 KLX110 - motard
12 Ducati Monster 1100
CMRA #125; TMGP #125

Good to see you out there Peter! Sorry to hear about Sid. See you at ECR!!
EazyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:54 PM   #46
Grinchy

Feedback Rating: (15)

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Dang! I forgot about that whole R6 ordeal. LOL Geez... I was so clueless. Still am about a lot of stuff.

To answer your questions it's a combination of all those things but I think I just wanted to go fast and I knew that I didn't know how to so I was very teachable. One thing that I have always done is TRY everything that the fast guys suggested I try and I never made excuses. Sometimes when I work with guys every critique I give them, they give me a reason or excuse for it. How can you really progress like that?

I always tried to keep up with the guy that just passed me, I listened to guys like Ty, Alonzo, Jimmy, Allan, Irish and others who were all faster than me. I crashed a lot, wasn't overly scared (can't say I wasn't scared at all cuz I get scared all the time!), I lost weight, took advanced classes, made a bunch of mistakes and I really cared about my lap times.

Nowadays I just try to keep my weight down and try to hang with the front runners for as long as I can and ain't scared to crash trying.

I also endurance race.

I need about 2 seconds at every single track.

On deck is doing something with this stock motor.

Edit: And I don't have this stuff figured out yet. Not even close. I'm still amazed at the guys in front of me. I have a long way to go to get where I want to be, but it isn't as far away as it once was.
A very modest appraisal and an intresting insight

What sort of rwhp does the stock motor make and what are you hoping for??
How much of the 2 seconds you say you need do you think it may give you??
Which brand slipper clutch are you using if you dont mind me asking?
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:14 PM   #47
cdill35

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinchy View Post
A very modest appraisal and an intresting insight

What sort of rwhp does the stock motor make and what are you hoping for??
How much of the 2 seconds you say you need do you think it may give you??
Which brand slipper clutch are you using if you dont mind me asking?
I think this bike puts out about 155 at best, on pump gas... It's never been on a dyno. I think Ty's 08 GSXR 1000 that eventually Jeremy Louder raced was making 178.. legally.

I'd bet a nicely tuned motor would give someone 1 second at TWS (Texas World Speedway). I have no facts to base this on it's just a straight assumption on my part.

OEM slipper.

Last edited by cdill35; 03-29-2012 at 02:18 PM.
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:14 PM   #48
Get Some!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Quote:
I think this bike puts out about 155 at best, on pump gas. I think Ty's 08 GSXR 1000 that eventually Jeremy Louder raced was making 178.. legally.

I'd bet a nicely tuned motor would give someone 1 second at TWS (Texas World Speedway). I have no facts to base this on it's just a straight assumption on my part.

OEM slipper.
I bet mr12 will give you a second... just sayin
103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:20 PM   #49
cdill35

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 103 View Post
I bet mr12 will give you a second... just sayin
You're the 2nd person that has said that but Jim Cambora said that I wouldn't get anything without more compression. I dont know... I sure dont want to spend $120 on 5 gallons for nothing.
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:26 PM   #50
rob78
. . . . . . . . .

Feedback Rating: (10)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Late Model Never-Was

Quote:
You're the 2nd person that has said that but Jim Cambora said that I wouldn't get anything without more compression. I dont know... I sure dont want to spend $120 on 5 gallons for nothing.
maybe you shouldnt have takin the rv, that was half the cost of ur mr12
TMGP #78
Team I Just Wanna Ride #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastynesto85 View Post
go ahead and cry so I can use the tears as lubrication to stick it in you
rob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:26 PM   #51
Get Some!

Quote:
This 240 lber that would get blown away on the front straight was passing and drafting on the front straight Sunday. Unless I was smoking through the chicane I don't see how that is possible. Especially after I thought my bike was down on power from Mondays practice.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:28 PM   #52
mkgsxr
Banned

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
07 GSXR 600 "TRACK "
03 XR70 PIT

User is banned

mkgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:35 PM   #53
Get Some!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkgsxr View Post
240???? Lol thought you were 260 just kiddin

You looked good out there Aj.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:43 PM   #54
mkgsxr
Banned

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
07 GSXR 600 "TRACK "
03 XR70 PIT

User is banned

mkgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:14 PM   #55
Grinchy

Feedback Rating: (15)

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
I think this bike puts out about 155 at best, on pump gas... It's never been on a dyno. I think Ty's 08 GSXR 1000 that eventually Jeremy Louder raced was making 178.. legally.

OEM slipper.
IMO a good aftermarket slipper would gain you some time depending on how big an issue you may be having with the rearend under hard braking.

stock motor good effort

how much does one have to spend to get 175+ at the rear wheel on your model??

back in the superstock (stock engine) days my buds would practice and qualify on pump gas (cheaper) but control elf race fuel was mandatory on race day and guess what, little to no difference in the lap times......
now with a tuned motor different story
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement