MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2012, 12:46 PM   #41
Get Some!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkgsxr View Post
Stay in 1 get more comfortable drop some time then move up or in most cases a instructor will tell you and you won't have to ask.
This guy gets it
103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Intermediate lap times for TWS (Texas World Speedway) agentorange Taking it to the Track 28 07-05-2011 09:38 AM
MSR-Cresson Lap Times - Track Day Times cdill35 Taking it to the Track 28 11-11-2008 04:30 PM
RPM's=better lap times 1fastchevy General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 11-04-2008 01:14 PM
MSR Houston / Lap Time Progress maxgs Taking it to the Track 37 01-01-2008 08:46 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-27-2012, 01:24 PM   #42
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Feedback Rating: (17)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibitzer View Post
From my experiences in intermediate it's a wide gambit of speeds and for the most part that spectrum allows even the slowest rider in the group to be exposed to someone slightly faster.
This. It all depends on WHO is running in what group THAT day.
I should not have been in L1 on 3.19. I had NO ONE to chase around to get faster, and never had a chance to follow my instructor, he followed me for 1 lap before checkered. Vice versa, I know of at least one who did not want to be in L3 that day so they moved to L2 because it was essentially a CMRA practice day, and they were I quote "Getting burned" at under 2 minutes.

Some one in L1 could be running 2:39 because there was 40+ riders on the grid and couldn't get around the big packs that form up. When they get free for a lap or two they are running 2:15-2:25.
It is very hard to gauge that.

Like I said before having an instructor bump you up is great, but I've had instructors before that don't care if you bump up or not, they are out there for a "free" trackday. They'll say "Oh yeah you look fine, work on your BP" or something random.

Be consistently holding a good line, be smooth and predictable, and you will feel it when you need to move up. I knew it when I was able to pass up everyone in L1 without complaining about "being clogged up" and making 100% safe passes. My instructor followed me the LAST session of the day and happened to confirm that.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:36 PM   #43
dwas

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2006 Ducati S2R
2009 Aprilia RSV R
2006 Honda ST 1300
1994 Yamaha Virago 750 (sold)
1972 Honda 350F (sold)

WOW! great conversation. I am signing up for L1 again this Saturday at TWS (Texas World Speedway). I will keep working on the form. I love TWS (Texas World Speedway) because there is so much room to stay out of trouble, you can really focus on what you need to focus on.
Thanks guys
dwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:55 PM   #44
Mace
Wisdom

Bike(s):
Honda ST1300 Iron # 44260
honda silverwing. drag scooter
Honda DNO1 700, wife's bike
07 SV650 Track
12 R6 (Son's track bike

Man, I rode L1 twice then moved up to L2 (self promoted) hold the line, don't mind being passed, ride 2m20sec. at T.W.S and it will be the best track day ever.
Mace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:33 PM   #45
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

I remember the frustration of being "held back" at my first track day. I bumped up at lunch from novice to intermediate. World changed that day.

Now that I have about 20 trackdays experience I am still kinda scared to run in advanced. At TWS (Texas World Speedway) this weekend in endurance I was running 2:05's on average and not really keeping up with anyone.

Bump up when you just can't take it anymore, and your instructor says you need to. 2:39's at TWS (Texas World Speedway) seems too slow for intermediate...you'll be a roadblock at anything over 2:30, I'd guess.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:54 PM   #46
Lucar

Member Garage

ok... I want to ask as a matter of information and safety.. since I have never done a td, what level should I start in?
I'm not in a hurry to set world records, but I want to get to know the track during the 1st half of the day, and then set to comfortably and safely try to set my knee down through as many turns as possible
Lucar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:03 PM   #47
ivancuriel
Sancho Pedotes

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2009 Yamaha R6 Raven.
2012 Yamaha R1 Moto GP Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
This. It all depends on WHO is running in what group THAT day.
I should not have been in L1 on 3.19. I had NO ONE to chase around to get faster, and never had a chance to follow my instructor, he followed me for 1 lap before checkered. Vice versa, I know of at least one who did not want to be in L3 that day so they moved to L2 because it was essentially a CMRA practice day, and they were I quote "Getting burned" at under 2 minutes.

Some one in L1 could be running 2:39 because there was 40+ riders on the grid and couldn't get around the big packs that form up. When they get free for a lap or two they are running 2:15-2:25.
It is very hard to gauge that.

Like I said before having an instructor bump you up is great, but I've had instructors before that don't care if you bump up or not, they are out there for a "free" trackday. They'll say "Oh yeah you look fine, work on your BP" or something random.

Be consistently holding a good line, be smooth and predictable, and you will feel it when you need to move up. I knew it when I was able to pass up everyone in L1 without complaining about "being clogged up" and making 100% safe passes. My instructor followed me the LAST session of the day and happened to confirm that.
We must of been on different sides of the track that day. I was also in lvl one. I had a timer and I was doing low 2:20s with slower people holding me up. I passed everybody and not a single person passed me all day. I think I will do lvl 1, one more time to get my lines just right.
ivancuriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:09 PM   #48
mkgsxr
Banned

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
07 GSXR 600 "TRACK "
03 XR70 PIT

User is banned

mkgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:22 PM   #49
hes

Bike(s):
MV Agusta F4; CC; Tamburini; Brutale and F3
2015 BMW GSA 1200
2008 KTM 530 EXC; 2014 Yamaha 450YZF
2008 Ducati Desmosedici
1980 Vespa (my track bike)

I had my fastest lap this past weekend (intermediate) at 2:07 and i thought i was going fast (maybe it was faster when i was chasing the guy on the black honda 1000r but did not have a timer) now i see tons of people doing below 2 min. Dont think i will ever get that.

I think i could do a second or two better if i had a faster bike for the straight as mine tops up at 144 ish mph and only get her that fast as i am getting close to turn one.

But most my laps were slower as i was trying to pass packs of people, so i ca see why you guys say that you can benefit from riding in a higher level. In my case in level 3 no one would hold me back and i could ride all my laps at same pace and maybe even learn from the faster guys passing me.
hes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:38 PM   #50
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucar View Post
ok... I want to ask as a matter of information and safety.. since I have never done a td, what level should I start in?
I'm not in a hurry to set world records, but I want to get to know the track during the 1st half of the day, and then set to comfortably and safely try to set my knee down through as many turns as possible
Not that it doesn't happen, but I wouldn't count in putting a knee down the first day out. In fact, it's shouldn't even be your goal, it should just be something that happens because you have high corner speed and therefore high lean angle.

I'm somewhat of a freak when it comes to this, but I've done well over 30 trackdays, and have only touched a knee once. I regularly pass guys with their knee down. It's slightly frustrating, but I'm faster so it is what it is.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote