MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2012, 09:19 PM   #21
cuong-nutz
Resident 250 guru

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
Ninjer 250

Yes it definitely sucks on the straights but it makes you focus more on speeding the corners and finding the fastest line
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
best rear tire size for ninja 250 track SPEED FREAK DECALS Taking it to the Track 5 03-28-2015 04:07 PM
setting up a ninja 250 for the track SPEED FREAK DECALS Taking it to the Track 15 03-04-2015 12:21 AM
Thinking about getting into track, downsize back to Ninja 250? SideVinder650 Taking it to the Track 18 01-31-2014 03:31 PM
My track/race 250 'build' switch Performance and Modifications 10 03-28-2010 10:28 PM
A 250's track day performance...? Helios Taking it to the Track 25 03-24-2010 11:05 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-23-2012, 09:24 PM   #22
The -_-Asian
Axios!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2011 CBR 250R
04 CBR 600RR

Send a message via AIM to The -_-Asian Send a message via Skype™ to The -_-Asian
Great points, but Obed was focused between which bike, not 250 or not. If you have any questions about the cbr, hit me up. I'm sure my last post had a lot of info between the two....
Old 03-24-2012, 12:22 AM   #23
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2003 Honda CRF450R motard
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

If looking to race later, I get it. If for track days...check out an EX/Ninja 500. More than a 250 in the power department. Surprisingly easy to ride fast. Google it and see what you think. Lots of race history so lots of mods sorted out. I have loved wringing out 250's...but the 500 is a better option in my opinion. Riding a slow bike fast is fun, I just think the 500 is worth a look.

You can pick them up dirt cheap.

Staton
CMRA#665 (neighbor of the beast)
The Problem - Endurance
Tojo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:45 PM   #24
unswift

Bike(s):
2009 ZX-6R race
2008 EX250 race

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skid View Post
There in lies the problem. If everyone had one and the track was small, they might be fun. Taking a minute to go down the front straight at TWS (Texas World Speedway), not fun. I mean it is slow even on a Hawk or SV, but at least still bearable.
I'm going to quibble with this. At the season finale Mini Endurance race at TWS (Texas World Speedway) last year, the front straight on a 250 provided me with the most fun I'd had all year on a motorcycle. I was in a three rider battle for what seemed like forever though it probably only lasted ten laps or so. None of us had a huge motor advantage, so it was always a big draft battle in the front straight, with the two riders behind the leader swinging out from the draft to make the pass going into turn one. We were pretty evenly matched on the rest of the course, so the order would only change on the next lap when the leader of the lap up to then was passed on the draft at the end of the long straight. It was pure GP125 style fun!
unswift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:46 PM   #25
switch
two fifty

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years

drafting on the 250's was fun =)
CMRA #250
"Me? I stand for uncertainty, insecurity, bad taste, fun, and things that go boom in the night."
switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:06 PM   #26
CUZ
Wheelie Man

Bike(s):
09 ninja 250

i have never seen this thread b4 well you can convert the 250 in to FI and SO MANY PARTS for it its insane

Take That Dive
CUZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:09 AM   #27
Skid

Bike(s):
CBR600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by unswift View Post
I'm going to quibble with this. At the season finale Mini Endurance race at TWS (Texas World Speedway) last year, the front straight on a 250 provided me with the most fun I'd had all year on a motorcycle. I was in a three rider battle for what seemed like forever though it probably only lasted ten laps or so. None of us had a huge motor advantage, so it was always a big draft battle in the front straight, with the two riders behind the leader swinging out from the draft to make the pass going into turn one. We were pretty evenly matched on the rest of the course, so the order would only change on the next lap when the leader of the lap up to then was passed on the draft at the end of the long straight. It was pure GP125 style fun!
You just reinforced my point of “If everyone had one….” though. That is a very specific event you are talking about. How often does that actually ever happen? Once, maybe twice a year in the same class at TWS (Texas World Speedway) while racing. If that was all he was planning on doing with the bike I would say great choice, but being at a track day even in intermediate with 600’s and 1000’s will wipe that fun will turn into aggravation pretty quick.

I like being at a slight (keyword being slight) performance disadvantage while at a track day because it pushes me to make up time in other area’s that aren’t based engine hp. It helps me to push myself and improve as a rider. That is why I personally love the Hawk so much. It doesn’t have the engine performance of a 600 or even a SV650 for that matter, but the handling is great. For me a 250 is just too much of a disadvantage with riding with other larger bikes.

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
Skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:15 PM   #28
unswift

Bike(s):
2009 ZX-6R race
2008 EX250 race

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skid View Post
You just reinforced my point of “If everyone had one….” though. That is a very specific event you are talking about. How often does that actually ever happen? Once, maybe twice a year in the same class at TWS (Texas World Speedway) while racing. If that was all he was planning on doing with the bike I would say great choice, but being at a track day even in intermediate with 600’s and 1000’s will wipe that fun will turn into aggravation pretty quick.

I like being at a slight (keyword being slight) performance disadvantage while at a track day because it pushes me to make up time in other area’s that aren’t based engine hp. It helps me to push myself and improve as a rider. That is why I personally love the Hawk so much. It doesn’t have the engine performance of a 600 or even a SV650 for that matter, but the handling is great. For me a 250 is just too much of a disadvantage with riding with other larger bikes.
I continue to quibble. You also said "if the track is short" and there is nothing short about the front straight at TWS (Texas World Speedway). It's length allows the drafting to come into play, and that is something very few track day riders will ever get to experience except at a super long track.

Point taken though, if everyone else is on a 600, the fun level goes way down. That said, in the Friday "street" group for CMRA practice, we had a real nice group of at least seven 250s and even on the long course it was a blast. And yes, even on 250s we were hanging with, and sometimes even passing more powerful bikes in the turns. That said, it was not as much fun as the all too brief lunch session where we opened up the cut-off and diced it up true mini style.
unswift is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement