MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2012, 09:04 PM   #1
invision

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
SV650S/F k4
98 CBR600F3 Trackbike project

TTR-125 Barn Find Issues

I got a free barn-find TTR-125 w/electric start a few days ago.

It's missing pretty much all of the bolts and screws for plastics, including the ones for the gas tank.
PO lost the hose that goes from the airbox to the carb.
PO ALSO removed the electric start and the choke is missing altogether.
And I think the best abuse of a bike by the PO that I've ever seen - the petcock was routed into the air vent on the carb, and the fuel line was vented to open air.

So, first thing first was draining and filling up with new gas. Bike wouldn't start.

Checked for spark, and it's there.

Decided to tear the carb down, and I can say after owning around 10 different motorcycles, this one has the worst carb i've ever seen. Cleaned it out, and stuck it back on.
Kick it over, still won't start.

So I did what every self-respecting kewrs laight drinkin' American would do and shot a ton of start fluid into the carb. Still nothing, but now it backfires up into the airbox pretty violently.

I'm thinking the carb is just toast, so I'm trying to browse ebay to find another one. What I'm worried about is the PO's electric start delete. I noticed that the starter is still on the bike, but I can't tell how he took the ignition out - no wires or anything, it's just gone. Would the bike still get spark when it's kicked over if the PO messed that mod up? Also if someone could give me a list of things to start tracking down on this bike I'd appreciate it.

WjkE0l
invision is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1990 FZR 400 1WG Barn Find Rebuild Jenk's Vintage / Cafe Racers 39 08-28-2015 01:03 PM
Just got a TTR 125 BYRDMAN Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 5 07-03-2009 04:09 PM
2003 TTR-125 for 850? Jason_Canuck Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 4 07-30-2008 09:58 AM
My Barn Find, 1969 MotoGuzzi ScooterTrash Cruisers Lounge 32 03-23-2007 11:38 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-23-2012, 07:24 AM   #2
kdog22
Wheelie it son..

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2004 Honda xr50
1991 Honda z50
2004 WR450 Supermoto
1988 Honda ZB50 - For Sale

Member Garage

If it's like a honda 50, then you can take of the ignition key switch fairly easily and bypass it. You can also very easily bypass the kill switch. The bike will still get spark because it's all just been bypassed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Muhammad.........Nostradamus..........Kdog
The cycle continues.
kdog22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:06 AM   #3
Mayday0017

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2003 R6 Trackbike

Send a message via AIM to Mayday0017
Quote:
Originally Posted by invision View Post

It's missing pretty much all of the bolts and screws for plastics, including the ones for the gas tank.
And I think the best abuse of a bike by the PO that I've ever seen - the petcock was routed into the air vent on the carb, and the fuel line was vented to open air.

So, first thing first was draining and filling up with new gas. Bike wouldn't start.

Decided to tear the carb down, and I can say after owning around 10 different motorcycles, this one has the worst carb i've ever seen. Cleaned it out, and stuck it back on.

So I did what every self-respecting kewrs laight drinkin' American would do and shot a ton of start fluid into the carb. Still nothing, but now it backfires up into the airbox pretty violently.

I'm thinking the carb is just toast, so I'm trying to browse ebay to find another one. What I'm worried about is the PO's electric start delete. I noticed that the starter is still on the bike, but I can't tell how he took the ignition out - no wires or anything, it's just gone. Would the bike still get spark when it's kicked over if the PO messed that mod up? Also if someone could give me a list of things to start tracking down on this bike I'd appreciate it.

WjkE0l

Above I see you saying it has saprk, and in the section below I see you asking if it will spark? If you have spark and spray either into the intake and are not getting fire, I would check compression.... Also you mentioned it is backfiring into the carb (which means you would be getting fire) I would still check the compression.... Just thoughts of what my next step would be

Trackday Registration:www.fastlinemcs.com

Motorcycles Unlimited / EBC Brake Pads www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
Mayday0017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:07 AM   #4
Thayleal
GingerBrawp CMRA #369

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2006 SV650s (Sold)
2003 SV650s (sold)
08 Ninja250 BRAWP bike (For Sale)
08 Ninja250 Racebike(Sold)
2007 SV650S(Streetbike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by invision View Post

WjkE0l
NICE K4 in the back! Oh and good luck with this... I am starting to get the Motard/Dirtbike itch pretty bad lately.

Motorcycles are like women... once you ride one... you wanna ride em all.
Thayleal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:10 AM   #5
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
I'm guessing bad compression....I have two bikes in my garage right now that appear to both be getting spark and I've been through the carbs twice. Obviously getting fuel as the bowls are filling up quite nicely. Next step is new top ends after inspecting the heads.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:50 PM   #6
phantomzrex

Bike(s):
2004 Kawasaki ZRX1200R R.I.P.

barn find issues

hey, I agree with these guys to check comp.as we all know you need 3 things to run fuel, spark, and compression. well you said you have spark, you have fuel or atleast a small amount when you sprayed starting fluid into it and looking at the pic. the bike seems to be in good shape if i had to guess i would say the comp. is good enough to run, but becouse it back fires through the carb you might not be getting the spark at the correct time check the pick-ups (your ignition timing)
phantomzrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:54 AM   #7
invision

Bike(s):
SV650S/F k4

Finally got around to doing the valves and checking the timing, and everything seems to be in order. I'm guessing it's compression, but I need a gauge to verify it. If it's low compression would I just need to replace rings?
Old 04-02-2012, 06:18 AM   #8
phantomzrex

Bike(s):

barn find

if you have poor compression, it could be several things, such as rings ,broken piston,burned hole in piston,head gasket, cracked head, or A valve problem so don't jump the gun. Auto Zone, or o-reilly has compression guages that they loan (well almost you put a deposite down equal to the cost of the tool-then its refunded when you bring it back) that motor should run with as little as 85-90 pounds ideally you should have 120-125 p.s.i.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:30 AM   #9
phantomzrex

Bike(s):

Question barn find

hey its me again what exactly did you mean when you said "I finally got around to doing the valves and checking the timing" and how did you check your timing??? Also did you ever get your carb./petcock fuel and vent hoses straightened out?
Old 04-02-2012, 02:41 PM   #10
invision

Bike(s):
SV650S/F k4

Another update

It accidentally got left outside last night without a carburetor so I woke up this morning to find that it's been raining and it looks like a bunch of water found it's way into the engine. Awesome :(
Old 04-03-2012, 10:43 PM   #11
phantomzrex

Bike(s):

barn find

Invision, if you get sick of with it let me know, I've been wanting another dirt bike since I got passed my cancer (in remission). barter, trade, sell, something???????? I'm A paint & body man by trade, been away from it for A while, but its like riding A bike.My dad, Chainsaw Chuck, does residential tree service. Just A thought, let me know if interested.

Advertisement