Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2012, 11:17 AM   #41
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidGsXr View Post
I'm sure everyone who owns their own bike likes the idea, but you'd eventually lose the high demand of everyone wanting to learn because afterwards, they'll already know what & how to service their own bike.
There's a new rider born every day
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-23-2012, 10:16 PM   #42
Bart
Thread killer

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2005 R6
'06 Suzuki Katana 750 (destroyed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90degree View Post
Yeah this is a cool idea, i was thinking , instead of owning a bike, why dont they lease them out like they do with cars? That would pretty much solve my problem as motorcycling is a hobby that i will most definitely carry with me into the future.

I ride a new bike for a couiple years, hardly any maintenance besides brakes+rubber, trade in a few years, keep the cycle going. Aside from the added cost of keeping up im sure it more than balances out from paying a shop to service your one bike that you own for 10 years
Account for the huge # of bikes that get either wrecked or stolen...
Old 03-24-2012, 10:58 AM   #43
lucydad

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2012 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2007 Kawasaki EX 500
1971 Honda 175 Scrambler
1967 Honda Mini Trail 50
1966 Honda Super 90

, I would love to see a high quality independent bike repair/maintenance/customizing shop somewhere closer to Sugar Land. Yes, we got the dealers on the SW freeway, but I would prefer dealing with someone who actually gives a .
lucydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:53 AM   #44
CaffeineRacer

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'03 SV650

I just saw this on SVrider and it's originally from BARF. This is exactly what the OP is talking about. I would be all over this if there was a place like it in Houston.

Hi all,

We just want to let you know about our new shop in South San Francisco. It's a different kind of motorcycle shop - here you can work on your own bike or scooter yourself. Help is always available if needed.

We have a large shop with five lift stations (including tools), and we offer weekly classes on motorcycle maintenance.

Of course we have a tire changer. Order your tires online and have them shipped to our shop. After taking our one-time $17 tire changer class (offered weekly, so you can learn how to use it), you can come in anytime we're open and mount/balance your tires ($25 for 2 hours).

Lift station reservations are $25 for 2 hours, and then $10 for each additional hour. If you have a big job, we have a Day Pass for $50. For even more work or if you have multiple bikes you can purchase a Month Pass for $75, which includes unlimited lift reservations for a month and overnight motorcycle storage. The San Bruno BART station is right next door. Leave your bike at the shop for a month and come in to work on it when you can. BART will get you here and back home.

We're called Moto Shop, and you can find out more about us here:
www.BayAreaMotoShop.com.

Stop by and check us out!
CaffeineRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 03:24 AM   #45
sullivan

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2008 Ninja EX650R
2005 Yamaha YZ250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by obed View Post
40 years ago I would have done something like this, now I had rather just pay and have it done and go ride
TIME=MONEY
Old 03-25-2012, 03:26 AM   #46
chingpo05

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
05 r6

make sure ppl sign a bullet proof waiver to protect your shop and its assets just in case someone gets hurt and tries to sue. insurance will be out of the roof also. i would just use this as regular mechanic shop and would put this idea in use on weekends only when you can give your full undivided attention. if you are looking into this for profit i dont think its a good idea the cost of running a shop is not necessarily cheap and ~35/hr would probably pay for electrical cost for only a couple days of shop operation.
chingpo05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:28 AM   #47
CaffeineRacer

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'03 SV650

So peopl keep on citing liability an have air tight insurance as a reason for why this would never work, but think about all the businesses where there is major risk involved. Best example I can think of for this forum is the Trackday organizations. What could be a more dangerous service more dangerous than motorcycle racing? These places have done just fine so I don't really see this as a valid reason for why this wouldn't work.
CaffeineRacer is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement