MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2012, 01:41 PM   #21
texasyankee

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Harley Low Rider
Kawi ZX6R (Track)

I remember there being such a place about thirty years ago. It didn't last long. People who wanted to save money thought it was too expensive and the other people went to a shop.
texasyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-21-2012, 01:55 PM   #22
adrenalinjunky

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2005 kawi 636(Main squeeze)
04 crf50(The mistress)
03 636(sold)

definitely a good idea, reminds me too of an auto hobby shop on base but ya a LOT of little links that would haves to b worked out to watch ur own back, and would probably cost a pretty penny to start it... But u gotta have money to make money these days...
adrenalinjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:19 PM   #23
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Shops barley get by
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:21 PM   #24
CaffeineRacer

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'03 SV650

I believe places like this are pretty common in major cities like NYC. At least I know there are garages where you can rent the space and equipment on an hourly/daily rate, but not sure about the mechanic. I think the biggest thing for me would be the ability to rent the space/tools without the guidance. Was that $35/hr for it all?

The other problem I see with this is, lets say you want to go in to change a tire or something simple like that. At a shop they charge you 40-50 bucks to mount a tire and it takes the mechanic 30 mins. In this shop it would take probably at least an hour for them to guide you through it and in that time you've only paid out $35 to the shop. Now yes the mechanic could be helping multiple people at the same time, but that is going to be hard since certain jobs are going to take more attention than others.

I love the idea of having a garage with tools that on the weekends I could rent time from to work on my bike instead of hacking it in my apartment parking garage. You could have single rentals, or monthly/yearly memberships. Also a base set of tools they have access too then separate packages of tools for special jobs or bike particular that you could rent for extra. Again though I'm not sure if making a major part of the business the mechanic guidance would workout although having a couple of shop managers that have mechanic experience would definitely be a must, just not a whole team of mechanics.
CaffeineRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:27 PM   #25
brandontx

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

The consensus is liability would be an issue. So what about having a mechanic teach you how to do it while he repairs your bike. Keep the price at a standard $80 an hour and since it will take longer to do the repairs because of questions the customer has and the time it takes to explain things the shop will make more money per repair and the customer can learn as much or as little as they want because they obviously have to pay for the time. Can offer it as an additional service at any shop.
brandontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:31 PM   #26
loosenoose
veteran novice

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

i think the best way to accomplish this would be to have a shop among friends that yall all pay for together. friends of friends could come in and do some work, and anyone yall could trust. maybe like a MH 'clubhouse'. people that we were not sure of could wear like... i dont know a badge or a vest, and they could be prospective members.

lol, im kidding.

but yeah, find 5 friends who want the same thing you want and get it. there is a large shop near my parent's house that finds an owner maybe every 2 years. it doesnt take much. just find a good size tin building with power and a couple couple of huge fans. i'm sure if you find a nice out of the way place out of the city, or off the beaten path, you and a few others could afford to make monthly payments on it. maybe a single, childless friend could have a trailer next to it and be sort of a care taker/ security guy.
that would be the
loosenoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:32 PM   #27
ormand
Deelish!

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2009 Ninja 650r
Total Mileage: 42,000

Old 03-21-2012, 02:46 PM   #28
Daft Punk
HarderBetterFasterStonger

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
'14 Ninja 650

Yeah $35/hr is a little steep for us poor bikers. I think a membership fee of $55 for 6 months should cover the tools. Then charge $17/hr with the membership fee. None members can pay $35/hr. Also sell pizza and refreshments in house so it can be like a hangout for gear heads to get together and shoot the . Have tv's on the speed channel and top gear. Just make it a cool place for gear heads to come and hang out and work on their bikes. Coffee, got to have coffee.
Daft Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:14 PM   #29
loosenoose
veteran novice

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

sounds like a mh clubhouse. this leads to mh being labeled a motorcycle "gang".
sounds like a good place and a good time though

maybe someone's ol lady can float around among members, too

har har
loosenoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:34 PM   #30
The -_-Asian
Axios!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2011 CBR 250R
04 CBR 600RR

Send a message via AIM to The -_-Asian Send a message via Skype™ to The -_-Asian
One word... Liability
Old 03-21-2012, 03:38 PM   #31
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
sounds like Javi's old shop...a place where people chill.

He didn't last too long.

Ask guys like Patrick and Mr. Ellis their thoughts on this....they'd probably laugh. If you wanna make money, having people "chill" isn't gonna cut it. Serving pizza don't cut it, serving soft drink don't cut it.

What does work is getting the problem solved and getting the customer out the door as a happy camper to serve next in line.

This concept would be hard to accomplish IMO/

Last edited by dbuck; 03-21-2012 at 03:41 PM.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:42 PM   #32
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
I'll add this as well....you can get a mobile mechanic to your driveway these days for right about the same $$$. He may not have a Visa or be a legal citizen, nor have any concern regarding your safety, but he'll do the work, get paid and be on his way.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:47 PM   #33
Daft Punk

Bike(s):
'14 Ninja 650

I'm sure you got this idea from the video of that one shop in Canada right?

But yeah I agree with the group of friends idea. If you guys can pitch in at the shop together than it would work out much better.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:49 PM   #34
Neon Samurai
3090 MotoGP Champion

Bike(s):
2010 Ducati Streetfighter (sold)
2012 Triumph Speed Triple R
2008 Triumph Sprint ST (Sold)
2014 BMW s1000R
2012 Aprilia Tuono (sold)

This has been tried in houston before. Wont work.
Neon Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:45 PM   #35
Daft Punk

Bike(s):
'14 Ninja 650

Yeah honestly for the most part I also don't see this being a successful business here in houston either. We are all just spread out too far apart for one thing. The only way I can see this being successful is if some rich guy that has a passion but not necessary a need to profit from such an establishment. He could make it what we all want it to be and not worry about the profit margin, then I'm sure eventually he could start seeing some income down the line if he does it right. I wish I was rich.

I don't think liability would be an issue, just get a good lawyer to write out the waivers. Can't argue with whats in black and white, and you signed it. If you get sue, counter sue for the cost and time of going to trial.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:53 PM   #36
DavidGsXr

Bike(s):
2004 Gsx-r600

I'm sure everyone who owns their own bike likes the idea, but you'd eventually lose the high demand of everyone wanting to learn because afterwards, they'll already know what & how to service their own bike. JUST SAYING

I like the idea & would take you up on the offer !
DavidGsXr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:54 PM   #37
Bart
Thread killer

Bike(s):
2005 R6
'06 Suzuki Katana 750 (destroyed)

I so wish I lived in a world where solid ethics and good intentions made for the most sucessful businesses. The profit on that exact idea would be nil, and doors would shut quick. Some of the offshoot ideas are really good though.

Here's the deal: it takes huge $$$$ to open a shop like that. I've no idea what a large hydraulic lift costs, but I'd bet that 50 grand only buys a small, used cheap one. Quality tools cost too, and in order to be able to work on "everything" you'll need all the basics plus tons of specialty tools. I'd guess you're running into the upper end of a 6-digit figure before you've had the grand opening. Then tack on building cost (rent/mortgage/loan), utilities, labor (mechanics want to get paid too!) and a small fortune for insurance... plus a stockpile of common parts, and numerous kinds of oils and other things of the nature...

...and that's why repair shops froth at the mouth to sell the $500 jobs, not $80 repairs -- you gotta rake it in just to break even, much less eek out a tiny profit.

I like the one about a "maintenence club", with a membership. If enough people would pay for a 1-year membership, even only $100, the shop would have a big cushion up front and could afford to provide a sizeable discount to the members.

Another idea would be "maintenance classes" - you sign up for a specific class and learn how to do something. Catch is you may or may not get to actually repair your own bike in the process, depending on the complexity of the project.

For VERY simple things I could see someone hosting a "group project" every now and then. Oil changes come to mind. Just pre-arrange a date and location, have everyone chip in to buy oil in bulk, have everyone bring their own tools - experienced people get a discount on oil, plus good company, newbs get coaching.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:26 AM   #38
HMFIC

Bike(s):
08 Super Duke R
08 YZ450F
Santa Cruz Blur 4x
09 YZ250F

This business plan is successful here:

http://motomethod.com/

http://www.youtube.com/embed/9SxhliZQs4I
Old 03-22-2012, 10:19 AM   #39
SideVinder650

Bike(s):
Suzuki SV650 2nd gen

Yeah this is a cool idea, i was thinking , instead of owning a bike, why dont they lease them out like they do with cars? That would pretty much solve my problem as motorcycling is a hobby that i will most definitely carry with me into the future.

I ride a new bike for a couiple years, hardly any maintenance besides brakes+rubber, trade in a few years, keep the cycle going. Aside from the added cost of keeping up im sure it more than balances out from paying a shop to service your one bike that you own for 10 years
SideVinder650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:15 AM   #40
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)