MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2012, 01:10 PM   #41
DAT GUY

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
81 XS650
95 Sportster 1200-sold
07 650R-sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigchuckie View Post
I WANT a bike and since I work ALL the time, I will have to commute on it to get to ride it. I work 300+ days a year. I want to ease the pain at the pump while getting a nice toy for "almost" free. But, all I hear is.... You'll get killed!! Now I realize that a cyclist has to ride like every person in a cage is out to kill you and the cyclist has to do EVERYTHING possible to keep it from happening!!! I won't be going into downtown at rush hour but between League City and Deer Park at 5:30A & 6:30P.... And 5:30P & 6:30A... I'm 40 years old & want to live a loooong time.... Is it really that bad of an idea??? Thanks in advance for any comments...
Owning a motorcycle is not always cheap. replacing tires every 6,000 miles or less on a sport bike and every 10,000 or so on a cruiser can take a toll, routine care, gear, repairs (especially on a harley! trust me i know) etc etc... It's worth it if for anything being on two wheels

It's totally worth it and is a blast, not always expensive but know the cost can be there. I initially purchased a motorcycle for joy and it changed everything in my life. It's my main mode of transportation now and will drive the car to pick up the kiddo and if it's rainy or too cold (doesnt happen often in houston). It's def nice to not pay 50 in the car or 150 in the suburban to fill up and instead only pay 10-11 bucks.

You have to be aware of your surroundings, something they will tell you about if and when you take the motorcycle safety foundation course which is required to obtain an M on your drivers license .

Crashing does suck, it hurts and understand it is a part of riding. It will happen at some point and hopefully you walk away with minor scuffs . You might think ten years later after you got your bike hey i havent wrecked, keep that mind set that it's going to happen and it will help keep you on your toes!

Houston drivers do suck, it's a part of living in a big ol city. wear proper gear and cross your fingers

welcome to motohouston

Last edited by a forum moderator; 03-19-2012 at 01:12 PM.
DAT GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Commuting in boot? tunaluna General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 03-10-2013 10:25 AM
Taste of the Town at The Woodlands Town Center Thursday 1/27 4-9pm Flip Events, Meets and Rides 2 01-27-2011 01:44 PM
Commuting fecnik General Discussion (Moto Related) 42 09-28-2009 07:45 PM
WOW BAD BAD BAD WRECK ON 290 txgsxrbob Off Topic 20 02-25-2008 02:30 PM
Commuting to/from work TxBritt08R1 General Discussion (Moto Related) 26 03-23-2007 01:19 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-19-2012, 01:21 PM   #42
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchdoctor575 View Post
now take that money that you saved and buy 3 tires. (2 rears and 1 front) that savings is gone,lol...

having a bike for me isn't a mis conceived notion of saving money. it's about having fun and enjoying myself.
That's the spirit I'm talking about.

Honest, if you just work the math, owning a bike for any purpose is practically frivolous spending. Factor in the ear-to-ear grin each time you straddle that ride, and it's worth every Franklin you ever throw at it.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:30 PM   #43
Bigchuckie

Thanks for all the great comments guys! I realize a bike isn't going to "save me $$" but the reality of the finances is this... All my vehicles are paid for and bike & gear will be paid in cash. My truck gets 14MPG and I can't get rid of it because I have other big toys. I work ALOT of OT.... Prolly 300 days a year. Approx.50mi round trip. That equals about $100+ a week on 4 wheels. Would be nice to cut that waaaay down when the weather is descent and, as previously stated, enjoy the ride home instead of dreading it!!!! )
Bigchuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:50 AM   #44
DAT GUY

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
81 XS650
95 Sportster 1200-sold
07 650R-sold

Keep us posted on what you end up getting. check out the sponsor section, Awesome cycles was where i took the riding course in 2006. If it wasnt for them I wouldnt be around thats for sure!
DAT GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:24 AM   #45
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Quote:
Thanks for all the great comments guys! I realize a bike isn't going to "save me $$" but the reality of the finances is this... All my vehicles are paid for and bike & gear will be paid in cash. My truck gets 14MPG and I can't get rid of it because I have other big toys. I work ALOT of OT.... Prolly 300 days a year. Approx.50mi round trip. That equals about $100+ a week on 4 wheels. Would be nice to cut that waaaay down when the weather is descent and, as previously stated, enjoy the ride home instead of dreading it!!!! )
You are definitely working hard and doing it right. Very few people can be fully debt free on their vehicles. 300days/yr is a lot. Most work 52wk - 2~3wk vacation - 1wk sick&off time - 2wk hol-days = 46wks x 5 days = 230 days/yr. Take out the extreme hot and cold days, plus rain days, plus misc. days that you cage in, the average bike commuter will only put in 150-175 days of bike commute. May be 200days for the most dedicated 2wheel warriors or warriettes.

Assuming you ride 250 out of those 300, and buy a bike that gets 45mpg, your fuel savings will be around $2500/yr. I would not let mpg influence your bike choice, as the differences of a few $100's are not worth the difference in your enjoying the commute. Get that bike that you'll look forward to ride EVERY DAY.

If that happens to be a Ninja 250 that get 65mpg on the hwy, then all the better.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:27 AM   #46
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

Quote:
people will still insist you are not saving money
urbanXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:47 AM   #47
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanXJ View Post
people will still insist you are not saving money
And I'll be the first. $5k over 2yrs of dedicated bike commuting will then have to have pay for cost of bike (say $5k), gear (say $500 min), insurance (say $500/yr). I won't count maintenance and consumables, cus a lot of it will be offset by the lesser wear and tear on the 4wheelers.

So at the end of two years, that bike will have 25,000 more miles on it and worth no more than 1/2 the original value. If the gear is still all good (jackets and helmets last a few yrs), he is still out $2500 on depreciation, and $1k on insurance. Best case scenario, $1500 net savings over two yrs.

Heaven forbid he goes and buys a brand new bike for $13k OTD. Depreciation along could eat up the $5k saving.

Still think you're saving money?
Old 03-20-2012, 07:19 PM   #48
Bigchuckie

Not particular so interested in the "total cost savings", as the weekly/monthly amounts I'm sending to the oil companies.....Now we could break it down and say the oil companies are making $$ off all those bike tires but that's not really my concern. "REAL" intent.... Stop pumping $100+ per week just on commuting. And granted, I work 300+ days a year now, but don't plan to do that for more than 1-2 more years. I'm looking at used S.S.'s so bike will be most likely $3-4k maybe a little less, maybe a little more..... And yes, I've already had ample warnings about a S.S. for my 1st bike. Thanks for the input and keep it coming both pos. and neg.
Bigchuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:47 PM   #49
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)