MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2012, 07:01 AM   #1
Bigchuckie

Feedback Rating: (0)

Liter bike for commuting

I'm new here and want to introduce myself befor I ask a STUPID question.... I'm chuck and I am am planning on purchasing a bike for commuting between League City and Deer Park.... Yes I know the gulf freeway is a deathwish from the start. I rode dirt bikes as a kid but have little street experience. Soooo I know the difference in a clutch and brake but not much about the street except for 25 years in a cage. Having said that, I'm not going to buy a bike and start commuting the next day. As previously stated, the main purpose is commuting. I work about 300 days a year so it is a gas saver at 50mi. Per day. That's not to say that I won't put my wife on back and cruise to Galveston or the hill country. If I were buying a "pleasure" bike, I would get a Road King but have decided on a sport bike for a few reasons. (right or worng). The reasons are good braking, acceleration, light weight, and very maneuverable. I started out looking at a YZF600r (not R6) with 6000 mi. For $3500. As I looked around, I found several bike is this range... R6, CBR600RR, F4i, and several different ninja's. Then the "BAD" thing happened.... I ran across a 954RR, 1000RR, &R1 in same range. EVERYTHING I have read, says a 1000 is a death wish and that the RR & R6 is pushing my luck. Now.... What makes me "think I'm different"..... I'm 40 years old, have NO intention of going 150mph....EVER, don't even care about flying though corners. Now... "some" of the "bad stuff" about the 1000's is appealing to me, like great acceleration on the low end... In ANY gear. I'm sure the braking is phenomenal as well. However, what I don't want is a bike so responsive that if I flinch to miss a piece of rubber in the road I go across three lanes of traffic instead of one. Or if I hit the gas to vet out of someone's way the end comes out from under me. I di want something that I can cruise 75-80mph on 25mi. Each way every day. Lastly, right or wrong, I'm NOT interested in EX500's, bandits etc.
I apologize for the long thread and on a subject that has been beat to death.... But I do think my situation may be a little "different". Thank you in advance for any help you may provide!
Bigchuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stepping up to the bike boys bike(1/4 liter) albertinhouston General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 03-06-2013 08:13 PM
Which Liter Bike ???? Gomomichael General Discussion (Moto Related) 40 02-17-2012 05:06 PM
Commuting Logistics: Car vs Bike morvegil General Discussion (Moto Related) 108 03-09-2011 01:44 PM
I'll be commuting on a bike this week nutmegchoi General Discussion (Moto Related) 30 05-02-2007 10:02 AM
Friend wanting a liter bike for first street bike *long convo inside* AWD General Discussion (Moto Related) 108 08-08-2006 12:08 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-16-2012, 07:04 AM   #2
bluewave18
Safety Third

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

The bike will do what you ask it to do. Ask it to kill you and it will. Play right and you will be fine. There is little room for error on any sport bike
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:05 AM   #3
Vegas Kid

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
07 R6-sold
12 TTR 50

If it's for commuting then I'd stay away from SS bikes. Not comfortable at all.

Go with an SV for great mileage, cost, comfort, and reliability.
Vegas Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:07 AM   #4
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
The brakes on a litre aren't going to be significantly better than on a 600. In fact, a lot of times they're completely identical.

A 1000 WILL come out from under you if you whack the throttle too hard.

Even a 600 will do 150mph.

If the primary purpose is commuting there is very little advantage a 1000 has over a 600. Yes its nice to be able to whack the throttle in whatever gear you're currently in and scoot out of trouble, but you can regear a 600 to give you roughly the same effective with less risk of looping the bike.

When you say you don't want an EX500 or a Bandit...does that mean you don't want a naked bike at all? Cuz I'm going to be honest with you, legit full-faired supersport bikes are uncomfortable. I, personally, wouldn't choose to be folded in half for 50 miles 5 days a week sitting on a wooden plank. For a commuter I'd probably get something like an aprilia tuono.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:10 AM   #5
Thayleal
GingerBrawp CMRA #369

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2006 SV650s (Sold)
2003 SV650s (sold)
08 Ninja250 BRAWP bike (For Sale)
08 Ninja250 Racebike(Sold)
2007 SV650S(Streetbike)

You could look into a Full Fairing SV650... Looks good and has more than enough power for what you are asking and has a torque and power curve shape closer to a cruiser. The power rolls on smooth and even even if you make a mistake it is very forgiving and is very maneuverable. It makes a great commuting bike. I realize you aren't interested in Ninja 250s, 500s or bandits... but maybe you should look into a Ninja 650. Very similar to the SV and priced reasonably. Also something to consider is the Ninja and the SV have a much more upright riding position so it will be much more comfortable than most of the SS for commuting.

Motorcycles are like women... once you ride one... you wanna ride em all.
Thayleal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:10 AM   #6
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Both the CBR600RR and 1000RR have electronic steering dampers which makes the steering stiffer the faster you go so they're very ride-able. I've commuted on both and one is just as good as the other. The 600 has plenty of power.
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:19 AM   #7
ThomAss
I like to ride

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 CBR1000rr
06 CBR1000rr
05 CRF450r
09 Ruckus

IMO a 1000 is a better commuter. Torque is good.

It's all in the right hand and what's between your ears though. Mainly the latter.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:19 AM   #8
Ulric
Dirty Old

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

apologies if i come across as overly rude...been up all night working.

Sounds like a mid-life crisis/ thing... 'sport' bike, not ideal for commuting. 600 can 'cruise' @ 75-80mph as easily as any litre bike, and get better mpg.

Quote:
However, what I don't want is a bike so responsive that if I flinch to miss a piece of rubber in the road I go across three lanes of traffic instead of one. Or if I hit the gas to vet out of someone's way the end comes out from under me.
Realisticly is going to be a possible issue with either a 600 or 1k bike having limited exp.

Look @ the SV (non sport verson), the Fz6 or comparable models. More upright seating, designed with better low/mid-range than the SS's, better mpg (and insurance rates to boot).
Old 03-16-2012, 07:27 AM   #9
veraiconica

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
2009 Ninja 500r (sold)
2012 Ninja 1000 abs

Member Garage

What about the sport touring bikes? Ninja 1000, Suzuki GSX1250FA, BMW K1300S, Yamaha FZ1, Honda VFR1200F

I got to ride a Ninja 1000 at the demo day and I loved it.
veraiconica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:28 AM   #10
obed
TMGP Pimp

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

sport bike and commuting not a good combo IMO....but you maybe different than I am when it comes to comfort... and I do not commute on a bike anymore...don't like city riding...when I want to be comfortable and maybe take the wife, I take out the road king... when I want to play it is the sport bike... unless it is dirt then I take one of the dirt bikes... so to me each bike has its purpose and i just do not see the purpose of a sport bike as being commuting... good luck and have fun no matter what you choose...
Old 03-16-2012, 07:32 AM   #11
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

LC to Deer Park isn't far. Its gonna be a sprint rather than a commute.
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:41 AM   #12
FJRmgm

Bike(s):
Yamaha FJR 1300
Honda CBR 954RR
Yamaha WR250R

if gas mileage is your main goal, an SV-650 will get you 55-65 mpg all day long and it big enough to stay up with any traffic but not so big and powerful and twitchy it will get you into trouble like a 600 or 1000 cc true sport bike. And that V-twin engine is cool.

I had a SV-650S for two years and it was great fun to ride.

BTW - I'm a little older than you and have been riding uh, longer than you have been alive, if that helps any.
FJRmgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:43 AM   #13
Bigchuckie

Sounds like a mid-life crisis/ thing........ MAYBE...
More like, tired of spending $400/mo. on gas.... That's likely to turn into $500!!!
Many of the bikes mentioned sound like a good idea... Haven't seen many of them for sale on CL.... But I haven't "looked" for them either....sooooo I will.... Thanks for all the help and keep it up!
Bigchuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:44 AM   #14
1308cc
954 isn't a liter

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
04 Honda VFR800
2006 Honda CBR 1000RR(Wrecked)
2002 Honda CBR 954RR (sold)
2006 Suzuki GS500F (sold)
2010 Yamaha FZ6R (sold)

Member Garage

I commute 50 miles a day on my 954. I love the lower RPM on the highway, I am comfy, no issues. I used to commute my GS500, barely enough power, sloppy brakes, and handling. It was decent commuter. My wife's FZ6R is an awesome commuter. Perfect amount of power, good brakes, good handling. Awesome mpg. My only gripe is the short gearing. 7000-8000RPM in normal flow of traffic. I ride my 954 3 days a week and the FZ 2 days a week. I took my 954 today. I love riding that thing. You can commute a literbike. No sweat.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:45 AM   #15
Thayleal
GingerBrawp CMRA #369

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2006 SV650s (Sold)
2003 SV650s (sold)
08 Ninja250 BRAWP bike (For Sale)
08 Ninja250 Racebike(Sold)
2007 SV650S(Streetbike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigchuckie View Post
More like, tired of spending $400/mo. on gas.... That's likely to turn into $500!!!
Many of the bikes mentioned sound like a good idea... Haven't seen many of them for sale on CL.... But I haven't "looked" for them either....sooooo I will.... Thanks for all the help and keep it up!
I have an SV for sale... good condition... may wanna get a different map on the Power Commander. If you aren't interested no hard feelings just a suggestion. Good luck with your new bike!

Motorcycles are like women... once you ride one... you wanna ride em all.
Thayleal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:49 AM   #16
mkgsxr
Banned

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
07 GSXR 600 "TRACK "
03 XR70 PIT

User is banned

mkgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:50 AM   #17
StewRat
Hive Investigator

2003 CRF230
2011 Aprilia Dorsoduro 1200
2012 Kawasaki KLR650

I prefer the torque of the litre bikes for commuting, I like not having to downshift into 5th to pass quickly. I figure a 1000 can always go the same speed a 600 and at the end of the day the bike only goes as fast as you tell it to.

I should also mention I commute on a KLR650 instead of my Aprilia 1200 because it's way more practical than any sport bike. I get close to 50mpg and have a pelican case on the rack that I can fit 3 grocery bags in. It's not pretty, its practical.
StewRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:50 AM   #18
veraiconica

Bike(s):
2009 Ninja 500r (sold)
2012 Ninja 1000 abs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigchuckie View Post
I have been keeping an eye on CL as well but it's slim pickings right now because the weather has been perfect haha
veraiconica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:51 AM   #19
Yanni

Bike(s):
Yamaha V-Star 1100
Yamaha YZ450F
Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R

Stating the obvious, you do not NEED a liter bike for what you are trying to do (commuting), the 600s will give you more than enough acceleration and good braking that you want.

Now, the "maneuverable" part.... Doing a u-turn for example will prove not to be as easy on a sportbike at first until you get used to how to lean the bike, instead of trying to turn it.

Just test ride as many bikes as you are allowed to, both sport and others, and see for yourself what seems the most appealing to you, according to your needs and preference.

As for the wife, do not get too surprised if she starts complaining the sportbike is not comfortable for her, cause for most passengers it is not. Some like it, some don't. Just because you can add an aftermarket rear seat does not mean that these bikes were made for 2-up joyrides, unlike other bikes on the market.

Good luck with your purchase
Yanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:52 AM   #20
IndyRC
Mutant

Bike(s):
None

Liter bikes are good for torque and scooting through traffic easier, but sport bikes are not going to be comfy for commuting or for taking your wife to the Hill Country, especially for her. The gas mileage also isn't that great. Like has been said, it sounds like maybe a sport touring bike would be a better option, such as the Bandit you already ruled out or a FZ1/Ninja 1000.
And do you really think you won't be tempted to wrap that throttle a few times and see what she'll do? And will you have the experience to get out of an "oh " situation should it suddenly arise? Be safe out there.

Advertisement