MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Closed Thread
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2012, 07:53 PM   #41
obed
TMGP Pimp

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREEN600 View Post
The part about ridesmart promoters giving you a hard timeis kinda strange?
yes, that has nothing to do with Ride Smart at all, sent you a PM on this one... let's let it die a natural death
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RideSmart Track Day - 7.18.2009 @MSRC - 3.1Mi Track Ridesmart Ridesmart Motorcycle School 16 07-14-2009 07:19 PM
track difficulty levels? for any track guys to answer OMEGA Taking it to the Track 50 02-11-2008 03:12 PM
Tony Terrell Benefit Track Day, June 8th via Lone Star Track Days jeffLSTD Taking it to the Track 2 05-10-2007 11:47 PM
RideSmart Track Day Sep. 5th. Any new track newbies wanna go? roro Events, Meets and Rides 10 08-22-2005 09:42 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-15-2012, 08:05 PM   #42
green600
HG Chairperson

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by obed View Post
yes, that has nothing to do with Ride Smart at all, sent you a PM on this one... let's let it die a natural death
That cleared it up for me obed. I would definately not let this hold me back from riding with ridesmart. Sounds like a bunch of b/s! And the in question is far from a ride smart official. Hopefully next year i will be out at the track with you guys.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:22 PM   #43
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

The person following you has the responsibility of maintaing a safe distance and making safe passes. Period. If you're a danger to yourself or others then one of the instructors will notify the track marshal and you will be black flagged and dealt with.

There are other little respectful things regarding track etiquette like staying off the race line when you get back on the track after running in the grass, letting faster riders pit out ahead of you, taking yourself out instead of someone else, hot pitting if your in a bunch of traffic, etc... ut you will learn this stuff as you do more track days.

Any other bullshit you read on this forum or any other forum is just someone's opinion and you know what they say about opinions...

Hang in there and keep on keepin at it. The track is very humbling and really exposes how little we know about riding a motorcycle. It's normal for your confidence to be shaken.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:26 PM   #44
babymilo36
Occupy Central

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
Specialized Allez Elite

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
The person following you has the responsibility of maintaing a safe distance and making safe passes. Period. If you're a danger to yourself or others then one of the instructors will notify the track marshal and you will be black flagged and dealt with.

There are other little respectful things regarding track etiquette like staying off the race line when you get back on the track after running in the grass, letting faster riders pit out ahead of you, taking yourself out instead of someone else, hot pitting if your in a bunch of traffic, etc... ut you will learn this stuff as you do more track days.

Any other bullshit you read on this forum or any other forum is just someone's opinion and you know what they say about opinions...

Hang in there and keep on keepin at it. The track is very humbling and really exposes how little we know about riding a motorcycle. It's normal for your confidence to be shaken.
This this this this this! Like everyone said, mistakes are bound to happen. If you feel like you messed up greatly or you're continuing to do bad, talk to an instructor and have him focus on you for a session or two, that's why they're there. I know majority of the instructors and they are all GREAT people

Good luck man, I'll see you at the track

CMRA #620
Wreck it Pandas #68
Old 03-15-2012, 08:42 PM   #45
psychomedicHFD
CMRA Expert #65

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
Yamaha R1 Race bike

Dont let making a mistake get you down. We all have and still do...from L1 riders to MotoGP riders. The track is where you learn your skills and fine tune them. We all started right where you are now.
CMRA #65
Old 03-15-2012, 08:43 PM   #46
Candace
KweenB

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2009 Kawi ZX6R x2 (1 track/1 street)
09 Kawi ZX6R (RIP)
09 Kawi 250R SE (sold)
2008 Kawi ZZR 600 (sold)
2008 Kawi Ninja 500R (sold)

To answer OP's question--as many others here have stated--The ONLY person you are responsible for is YOURSELF--EXCEPT in the case that you are attempting a pass on the person in front of you. The person behind you is responsible for themselves. It is THEIR responsibility to leave enough space and enough availability in the % of their skills to compensate for what may happen. No one should EVER ride 100% at a TD. Especially in Level 1.

If there is a rider going slower than the pace in which you want to ride, you have the option of hot pitting and letting the slower riders get further up the track, or wait it out and pass when it's safe (and allowed). Even the pros will hang back and pace the person in front of them for a while, before they make a move. Looking to see what that person does, where their lines are, where they brake, etc.

Now, if you were riding unsafely, that would be a whole different issue. But if at no time did any instructor or CW or the TM call you out on your riding behavior, then don't worry about it.

It really sucks when someone crashes. Trust me, I am well-aware of how that feels. But it's part of the risk we take when we ride. Especially when we push it to OUR limits, and don't leave room to compensate for things. All this being said, we're ALL out there to learn. And to my knowledge every person out there makes mistakes, screws up corner entries and lines on occasion, even the expert racers. Do not expect that a novice track day rider should be held to perfection. Shake it off. Get back out there. Do your thing.

EDIT: Hahaha we were all replying at the same time. LOL!
Old 03-15-2012, 08:56 PM   #47
Thayleal
GingerBrawp CMRA #369

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2006 SV650s (Sold)
2003 SV650s (sold)
08 Ninja250 BRAWP bike (For Sale)
08 Ninja250 Racebike(Sold)
2007 SV650S(Streetbike)

Thanks everyone for the insight. This was not aimed at Ridesmart or anyone in particular. It was not intended as an attack on any individual or the school itself. Both schools did a good job on instruction and learning is going to take time. I was simply asking the question because I am highly critical of my shortcomings in general and wanted to know if I had taken the appropriate action to choose correctly if/when this happens again. I understand internet ribbing... I play devil's advocate regularly. I simply wanted a clarification on expectations to avoid a repeat of unacceptable behavior in the future. This was about doing what is expected at the track, that particular corner I had made several times at the speed I had chosen for that approach and came in off the line.

I have my answer. Please close this thread ops. Thank you everyone for your responses, even Obed who has motivated me to find my testicles

Motorcycles are like women... once you ride one... you wanna ride em all.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:59 PM   #48
mkgsxr
Banned

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
07 GSXR 600 "TRACK "
03 XR70 PIT

User is banned

Old 03-15-2012, 09:03 PM   #49
Mala Lingua
Optimistic Cynic

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
'06 600RR (Mogee)
Phifty (Fuglee)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thayleal View Post
even Obed who has motivated me to find my testicles
Hmm...sounds like a good challenge for the ScavHunt: "Find Thayleal's testicles. 100pts."
Old 03-15-2012, 09:06 PM   #50
mkgsxr
Banned

Bike(s):
07 GSXR 600 "TRACK "
03 XR70 PIT

User is banned

Old 03-15-2012, 09:11 PM   #51
BaoPee
12 yr old Asian boy

Feedback Rating: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mala Lingua View Post
Hmm...sounds like a good challenge for the ScavHunt: "Find Thayleal's testicles. 100pts."
i know where they are!! they are in his girl friend's purse...

info@halffastgroup.com
Old 03-15-2012, 09:14 PM   #52
Rael
Communist Plant

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
'12 Griso 8v
'13 Wr250r

Quote:
That is not the case with me. I asked several times for tips from instructors both days... You corner worked while WheelieDave followed me for two sessions...

I expected being at the track to help boost my confidence but honestly at the end of those two days.. I felt like I learned alot but my confidence was/is shot. I have ridden once since the track and the fact that I feel as if I did not improve makes me hesitate. By the end of my second day I was blowing more and more corners. I set a goal for myself to do 6 track days by the end of the year before my first track day... that changed to doing 2 a month for the rest of the year when possible, now I am questioning riding at all.

It is irresponsible for me to continue riding track or street if I am not improving because I am putting myself and others in danger.
That is some socratic for a trackday
Old 03-15-2012, 09:31 PM   #53
dinosaur
Retired in place

Bike(s):
'05 Zx6-R (636)Sold

come find me next time and we will work on whatever you need. SV or not
CMRA #414
Old 03-15-2012, 09:38 PM   #54
Thayleal
GingerBrawp CMRA #369

Bike(s):
2006 SV650s (Sold)
2003 SV650s (sold)
2007 SV650S(Streetbike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
come find me next time and we will work on whatever you need. SV or not
Thanks Dinosaur!

Old 03-15-2012, 09:38 PM   #55
adrenalinjunky

Bike(s):
2005 kawi 636(Main squeeze)
04 crf50(The mistress)
03 636(sold)

Quote:
Its not the haters getting to me. I am typically overly critical of myself when I make mistakes in anything I do. It is a personality flaw I openly admit.

Thanks for the advice guys.
i read the first page and quit reading because i am with most of the other people here... NOT UR FAULT!! idk how many people passed me but it was plenty that day and it didnt slow me a bit.... keep riding bro.. if u stop it will b the worst decision ever
Old 03-15-2012, 09:43 PM   #56
NewRider
Riding, Eating & Partying

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
Retrospec Fixie (Hipster ride)

Quote:
So I have a very real and serious question regarding track edicate.

Recently I attended my first track day and rode in Level 1. I rode less than perfectly as I was learning the track and mistakes were made. I admittedly "caused" another rider to run into the grass due to brake checking in the corner as I missed the line coming through the launch. I admit complete fault in tipping in late and missing my window. Several members here have condemned my choice to stay on the track when I botched the line by scrubbing my speed and attempting to correct my line.

Since certain major promoters of RideSmart have condemned my actions here which I admit were a noobie mistake but since I am there to learn to be a better rider and I see no problem making a mistake if you learn from it.

What is the official word on what action you take when a mistake is made. Do you accept a crash in a hope to spare the riders that may or may not be behind you or do you take the appropriate measures to prevent a crash and preserve your safety.

I am aware everyone is going to flame me and troll this thread so I am prepared to say those people from the get go, but to those who will take this seriously and give me a straight answer I would appreciate it.

I am not prepared to accept a crash if there is something that I can do to stop it and if that is what is expected when a mistake is made then I have no business on the track.

Thank you for your insight.
Don't sound like it wasn't aimed at anyone

And I would like to add a to you even having to feel like you gotta start a thread like this. This kind of is what might turn a noob off to try the track if they are gonna be expected to be Rossi the first track day. It's not about going fast, what don't people understand about that? It's about learning to control the bike, be smooth and react to mistakes in a safe environment. Oh, and having fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios View Post
Remember when you ask opinion on a public board, you're gonna get a little bit of everything.
No sense in taking it personally.

And it's ”etiquette”....

(Don't take that personally either lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYRDMAN View Post
First who has condemned it? Probably noobs themselves. You only have to worry about yourself and what is in front of you in Level 1. If you park it in the turns and hold people up who gives a ...your learning and in Level 1 where there are no passing in turns. If someone was up your and unable to control thier bike because they were to close to you ...NOT YOUR PROBLEM.

I see a real influx of new track riders on this forum that all are talking about going fast,dragging knee and bumping up levels after like 3 track days when they have not grasp the concept of riding on a track, being smooth or passing in turns

I dont see anything you did wrong that day....keep at it and dont worry about the haters
This right here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd
thrusting them that they are going to hold their line and that I will make a safe past with out having them come into my line..

Long story short... THE RIDER IN FRONT HAS THE RIGHT AWAY ALWAYS!!!!

I'm glad track is in the minds and discussions of most of our active members, but this kinda is what makes it sound like its something that could be bad...no, not at all.

People just need to get their mind right when they go out there and realize they don't know everything after a few track days..., some people I speak to told me they spend almost an entire season if not the whole, still in level 1. That wmakes me feel better even after my 4 trackday to still be in novice..it's no big deal. Those people are now pretty fast and know what they are doing out there.

Don't sweat it man, happens... Don't let that turn you off the track or riding. Hopefully that won't discourage new track riders from giving it a try or else all the work to put track out there is pretty much just getting screwed up.

What was I saying again?

HALFFAST GROUP
Old 03-15-2012, 09:43 PM   #57
adrenalinjunky

Bike(s):
2005 kawi 636(Main squeeze)
04 crf50(The mistress)
03 636(sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mala Lingua View Post
ya!! team trackslut will find them testicles!! nohomo! lol
Old 03-15-2012, 10:00 PM   #58
pumpkinHED

my .02

agree with all the positive comments about learning and level 1. only thing i might add is dont be scared to run it off track. ive gone in the grass lots and i think its a good experience. you go in too hot, run it wide. then you hop back on the track. just go easy on the breaks, grass is something like 90% water ive heard.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:03 PM   #59
Thayleal
GingerBrawp CMRA #369

Bike(s):
2006 SV650s (Sold)
2003 SV650s (sold)
2007 SV650S(Streetbike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg001 View Post
agree with all the positive comments about learning and level 1. only thing i might add is dont be scared to run it off track. ive gone in the grass lots and i think its a good experience. you go in too hot, run it wide. then you hop back on the track. just go easy on the breaks, grass is something like 90% water ive heard.
I am too comfortable running in the grass apparently... I went 4 times in the course of my two track days and did not crash.

Ivan I think this thread has demonstrated how many people will support you at that track and work to help you. So I don't see it as showing the track as a negative thing but a positive movement with alot of people providing positive support.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:08 PM   #60
Thayleal
GingerBrawp CMRA #369

Bike(s):
2006 SV650s (Sold)
2003 SV650s (sold)
2007 SV650S(Streetbike)

/thread.

Closed Thread