Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Closed Thread
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2012, 06:10 PM   #1
Thayleal
GingerBrawp CMRA #369

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2006 SV650s (Sold)
2003 SV650s (sold)
08 Ninja250 BRAWP bike (For Sale)
08 Ninja250 Racebike(Sold)
2007 SV650S(Streetbike)

Track Edicate

So I have a very real and serious question regarding track edicate.

Recently I attended my first track day and rode in Level 1. I rode less than perfectly as I was learning the track and mistakes were made. I admittedly "caused" another rider to run into the grass due to brake checking in the corner as I missed the line coming through the launch. I admit complete fault in tipping in late and missing my window. Several members here have condemned my choice to stay on the track when I botched the line by scrubbing my speed and attempting to correct my line.

Since certain major promoters of RideSmart have condemned my actions here which I admit were a noobie mistake but since I am there to learn to be a better rider and I see no problem making a mistake if you learn from it.

What is the official word on what action you take when a mistake is made. Do you accept a crash in a hope to spare the riders that may or may not be behind you or do you take the appropriate measures to prevent a crash and preserve your safety.

I am aware everyone is going to flame me and troll this thread so I am prepared to say those people from the get go, but to those who will take this seriously and give me a straight answer I would appreciate it.

I am not prepared to accept a crash if there is something that I can do to stop it and if that is what is expected when a mistake is made then I have no business on the track.

Thank you for your insight.

Motorcycles are like women... once you ride one... you wanna ride em all.
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RideSmart Track Day - 7.18.2009 @MSRC - 3.1Mi Track Ridesmart Ridesmart Motorcycle School 16 07-14-2009 07:19 PM
track difficulty levels? for any track guys to answer OMEGA Taking it to the Track 50 02-11-2008 03:12 PM
Tony Terrell Benefit Track Day, June 8th via Lone Star Track Days jeffLSTD Taking it to the Track 2 05-10-2007 11:47 PM
RideSmart Track Day Sep. 5th. Any new track newbies wanna go? roro Events, Meets and Rides 10 08-22-2005 09:42 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-15-2012, 06:12 PM   #2
jakeg

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Im hoping to hit the track soon, will keep and eye on this thread.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:13 PM   #3
Kachoojoe

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
Buell XB9S (Missing a part or two, but rideable)

If I ever do a trackday, I'd like to know this too...
"...there is a group of people who ride bikes who truly are a 'breed apart.'...They don't care what other people think. They don't care if anyone knows how much they paid for their bike or how fast it will go. The bike means something to them that nothing else does. They ride for themselves and not for anyone else..." -The Wave
Old 03-15-2012, 06:15 PM   #4
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Feedback Rating: (17)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

I was always told rider behind you is responsible for maintaining distance, but it is level 1 and there's alot of inexperience. Accidents are bound to happen.

It's ALWAYS going to be a gray area regarding accidents on the track.

If you want actual analysis did you scrub speed and adjust a tighter line or did you STOP and SWERVE back into the track? To me there is a difference there.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:15 PM   #5
Helios
Back again again...

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
06 Silver Gixxer

Member Garage

Remember when you ask opinion on a public board, you're gonna get a little bit of everything.
No sense in taking it personally.

And it's ”etiquette”....

(Don't take that personally either lol)
Old 03-15-2012, 06:18 PM   #6
Thayleal
GingerBrawp CMRA #369

Bike(s):
2006 SV650s (Sold)
2003 SV650s (sold)
2007 SV650S(Streetbike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios View Post
Remember when you ask opinion on a public board, you're gonna get a little bit of everything.
No sense in taking it personally.

And it's ”etiquette”....
Yeah thanks for the spelling lesson. I knew my spelling was wrong but didn't take the time to look it up.

In my mind I simply hit the brakes and moved further into the inside closer to the curb. I pretty much did straight line braking as I was headed directly into the curtain coming over the launch. However I can't account for that exactly and only the individual behind me could provide what he viewed from his vantage point.

It wasn't so much taking it personal as a legitimate curiosity as I do not act out of what is expected and do not have business at the track if I am not prepared to follow the appropriate protocols.

Last edited by Thayleal; 03-15-2012 at 06:21 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:21 PM   #7
BYRDMAN
WX MAN

Feedback Rating: (8)

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Adventure 1190
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker

Member Garage

First who has condemned it? Probably noobs themselves. You only have to worry about yourself and what is in front of you in Level 1. If you park it in the turns and hold people up who gives a ...your learning and in Level 1 where there are no passing in turns. If someone was up your and unable to control thier bike because they were to close to you ...NOT YOUR PROBLEM.

I see a real influx of new track riders on this forum that all are talking about going fast,dragging knee and bumping up levels after like 3 track days when they have not grasp the concept of riding on a track, being smooth or passing in turns

I dont see anything you did wrong that day....keep at it and dont worry about the haters

AMERICAN MADE WITH MEXICAN PARTS
Old 03-15-2012, 06:21 PM   #8
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

happens. Level one student shouldn't be held to a very high standard... they are level 1 after all.

Fudge promoters... Just learn from your mistakes and try not to repeat them. I've seen some stupid stupid things on the track... not in level 1 either. Have fun and fudge the haters.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:24 PM   #9
cuong-nutz
Resident 250 guru

Bike(s):
Ninjer 250

spelled as etiquette.

The track is a learning ground. The people are in Novice/Level 1 for a reason and that is to learn the track and as well as to perfect their riding skills. The instructors tell you the rules on who has the right of way and when you can pass. A lot of people love pin it on the straights and grab and handful of brake coming to turns on the skreets and on the track (seen from riding and corner working).

You ride your own ride when you're on the track. The people behind you have to use their good judgement to know when to pass or how much following distance they should give. If they choose to follow too close and go off the track because of that choice than it's shame on them. It's pretty much like driving a car on the street. If you're following too close, the car in front slams on the brakes for whatever reason, the person who's following too close is at fault for most cases.

If it's too congested and a train is forming at the turns, you can:
1. wait to pass on the straights.
2. wait to pit in and let the congestion clear up.
3. slow down and let everyone pass if it's safe to do so (like the track is wide enough and most likely on the straights). Just get out of the exit line.

Last edited by cuong-nutz; 03-15-2012 at 06:27 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:25 PM   #10
gots2no
Steve

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'94 Kawasaki ZX6
'78 Yamaha XS750E (sold)
'82 Yamaha Seca 750 (sold)
'82 Yamaha XT200 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeg View Post
Im hoping to hit the track soon, will keep and eye on this thread.
I as well. Thanks for the post.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:27 PM   #11
Jason_Canuck

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
A black one
and a red one

Don't worry about it.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:33 PM   #12
cuong-nutz
Resident 250 guru

Bike(s):
Ninjer 250

Another thing, if you find yourself really slowing people up, don't try and be the first bunch out to get on the track. Hang back towards the back.

DON'T FORGET TO ASK THE INSTRUCTORS FOR ADVICE! I see a lot of folks scared to ask the instructors for help because of the "peer pressure" in riding on the track. They're there to help.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:39 PM   #13
trooper
Time to ride.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
07 Heritage Softail Classic

I didnt read the whole thing so excuse me if its been said but it is the person behind you who has the responsibility to avoid you. I as a rider be it noob or experienced am responsible for giving you enough room and managing my ride such that if you make a mistake it doesnt cause me to go down. This becomes more relevant in level 1 where half of the grid is new and learning. That is why everyone signs a waiver that they accept responsibility for being on the track.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:47 PM   #14
Thayleal
GingerBrawp CMRA #369

Bike(s):
2006 SV650s (Sold)
2003 SV650s (sold)
2007 SV650S(Streetbike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
Another thing, if you find yourself really slowing people up, don't try and be the first bunch out to get on the track. Hang back towards the back.

DON'T FORGET TO ASK THE INSTRUCTORS FOR ADVICE! I see a lot of folks scared to ask the instructors for help because of the "peer pressure" in riding on the track. They're there to help.
That is not the case with me. I asked several times for tips from instructors both days... You corner worked while WheelieDave followed me for two sessions...

I expected being at the track to help boost my confidence but honestly at the end of those two days.. I felt like I learned alot but my confidence was/is shot. I have ridden once since the track and the fact that I feel as if I did not improve makes me hesitate. By the end of my second day I was blowing more and more corners. I set a goal for myself to do 6 track days by the end of the year before my first track day... that changed to doing 2 a month for the rest of the year when possible, now I am questioning riding at all.

It is irresponsible for me to continue riding track or street if I am not improving because I am putting myself and others in danger.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:52 PM   #15
BRYAN
Big and Cranky...

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
A Trackbike
Another Trackbike
A Motard

this is what track is for...learning.

better you did this here than on some Farm road where major damage could be done.

yes you made a mistake.. so what, we all have. keep on tracking that SV or yours and and enjoy your time SAFELY.

you will get better at riding..
Old 03-15-2012, 06:52 PM   #16
BYRDMAN
WX MAN

Feedback Rating: (8)

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Adventure 1190
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thayleal View Post
That is not the case with me. I asked several times for tips from instructors both days... You corner worked while WheelieDave followed me for two sessions...

I expected being at the track to help boost my confidence but honestly at the end of those two days.. I felt like I learned alot but my confidence was/is shot. I have ridden once since the track and the fact that I feel as if I did not improve makes me hesitate. By the end of my second day I was blowing more and more corners. I set a goal for myself to do 6 track days by the end of the year before my first track day... that changed to doing 2 a month for the rest of the year when possible, now I am questioning riding at all.

It is irresponsible for me to continue riding track or street if I am not improving because I am putting myself and others in danger.
Dude have you read any of the posts?

Dont let the haters get to you...take it slow and actually learning something takes time....Ride your own ride and have fun. If you blowing corners then slow it down and keep at it. You will be faster in the long run with a lot less crashes than someone trying to break lap records on thier first season out there

AMERICAN MADE WITH MEXICAN PARTS
Old 03-15-2012, 06:55 PM   #17
zerobounds
Captain Concussion

Bike(s):

There's lots of factors out there...

Were you going the wrong way on the track? Why was he so close that he couldn't slow down at the same rate that you were - and off the line? I can only imagine that he had to decide to pass you at some point and I can't really imagine too many scenarios that make this your problem. Being off line is your fault but passing you is his responsibility - which he was doing, unless you were going backwards. There are no rear view mirrors on the track, you are responsible for what is in front of you whether they are wrecking or not.

Either way, track etiquette is basically common sense but you can't hesitate to consider it and that's one of the reasons that level 1 is all over the place. There's a lot to take in for newcomers and not too much consistency in level 1 compared to level 2 and 3, new riders are thinking about all the stuff that they just learned in class and still trying to process and apply it all, not much is coming naturally. It's certainly a factor.

Generally speaking the rule is if you're doing something then stick to it - no erratic, unpredictable actions. Decide what you're going to do and do it. Do not change your mind. Not only is this etiquette but it applies to safe riding and the mental commitment to your actions and choices that faster riding requires you to have.

Going off the track does not mean wrecking and you shouldn't deliberately wreck if you don't have to.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:57 PM   #18
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

Its everyones responsibility to look after THEMSELVES on the track.

Guy goes in hot and crashes into me? Im not asking him for a dime to repair my bike... why? Because forbid, I might make a mistake and do the same. No one is perfect.

The people behind you are responsible for making a clean pass and riding their own ride. I wasnt there and dont know all the details, but it sounds like they person behind you was following too close for a level 1 session.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:57 PM   #19
Thayleal
GingerBrawp CMRA #369

Bike(s):
2006 SV650s (Sold)
2003 SV650s (sold)
2007 SV650S(Streetbike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYRDMAN View Post
Dude have you read any of the posts?

Dont let the haters get to you...take it slow and actually learning something takes time....Ride your own ride and have fun. If you blowing corners then slow it down and keep at it. You will be faster in the long run with a lot less crashes than someone trying to break lap records on thier first season out there
Its not the haters getting to me. I am typically overly critical of myself when I make mistakes in anything I do. It is a personality flaw I openly admit.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:58 PM   #20
StewRat
Hive Investigator

2003 CRF230
2011 Aprilia Dorsoduro 1200
2012 Kawasaki KLR650

Seriously dude, its level 1, if they're behind you on the inside of a turn it's your line. Once you hit the turn in point who evers front wheel is ahead has the line. If they are not experienced enough to control their bike around you that's their problem for trying stuff you in a turn in level 1.
Closed Thread