MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2012, 01:20 PM   #41
hes

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
MV Agusta F4; CC; Tamburini; Brutale and F3
2015 BMW GSA 1200
2008 KTM 530 EXC; 2014 Yamaha 450YZF
2008 Ducati Desmosedici
1980 Vespa (my track bike)

600 ish cc and triple? Why not the new F3 then?

hes is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Triumph Daytona 675 Review Dread6 General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 09-11-2011 06:22 PM
New Triumph 675 Daytona SE morvegil General Discussion (Moto Related) 31 10-25-2010 08:04 PM
triumph daytona 675 klassik General Discussion (Moto Related) 18 10-15-2009 12:37 AM
Triumph daytona 675 Tangy General Discussion (Moto Related) 31 10-30-2007 03:32 PM
Triumph Daytona 675 DaveJHotch General Discussion (Moto Related) 26 03-18-2006 08:25 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-15-2012, 01:23 PM   #42
675Raisinator

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2012 Triumph 675
2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Track scooter)

should probably get a turbo busa
675Raisinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:28 PM   #43
The -_-Asian
Axios!

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2011 CBR 250R
04 CBR 600RR

Send a message via AIM to The -_-Asian Send a message via Skype™ to The -_-Asian
But he doesn't fit the criteria.. He's a skinny white guy.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:59 PM   #44
wesleh

Feedback Rating: (11)

Bike(s):
08 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRider View Post
IMO, kawi 636 is nice, when it works...dunno if I just got a deal, but my 06 636 is completely turning me off to kawi.

I would agree with this...sv, or 650r if you want to go up.

I would have to agree with him on this one...

First parade lap you went down on the 250, first trackday you went down and possibly totalled it...

I say you get back on a 250 and get more seat time before moving up to a 600+...
this
Old 03-15-2012, 02:05 PM   #45
Thayleal
GingerBrawp CMRA #369

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2006 SV650s (Sold)
2003 SV650s (sold)
08 Ninja250 BRAWP bike (For Sale)
08 Ninja250 Racebike(Sold)
2007 SV650S(Streetbike)

The flaming has begun.... better get ya flamesuit out bra... its gonna be a hot one...

Motorcycles are like women... once you ride one... you wanna ride em all.
Thayleal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:12 PM   #46
Rael
Communist Plant

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
'12 Griso 8v
'13 Wr250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thayleal View Post
The flaming has begun.... better get ya flamesuit out bra... its gonna be a hot one...
He already knows better. It was three months ago that everyone was patting him on the back for being a responsible new rider.
Rael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:22 PM   #47
obed
TMGP Pimp

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

I am not going to flame him for having been down twice... especially considering the circumstances of both meetings with the pavement...
I will simply say that I think he needs more seat time on the 250 before moving up in size...I think he will be a fine rider, and I think he will get where ever he wants to be...I just think that right now the 250 is where he needs to be.... with lots more seat time and track time...he has the right attitude... been down twice and looking for more...
Old 03-15-2012, 02:28 PM   #48
Thayleal
GingerBrawp CMRA #369

Bike(s):
2006 SV650s (Sold)
2003 SV650s (sold)
2007 SV650S(Streetbike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rael View Post
He already knows better. It was three months ago that everyone was patting him on the back for being a responsible new rider.
Eh. He's young and spontaneous.. and probably was like.. ya know I was already planning on trading up eventually why spend money on the same bike. Why don't I just save the money from the extra step and get something else.

Semi viable point of view if you exclude certain facts. Ultimately the decision is up to him and whether he deserves the flaming or not... it would have happened. That is the fuel that drives the 2 wheels of internet dynamics.

That being said if he moves up at all it should be to a Ninja 650, Ninja 500, SV650, or something close to the same power output as those.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:34 PM   #49
obed
TMGP Pimp

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

I will not flame him because as has been said both of his meetings with the pavement have been on the track, and not from irresponsible street riding... maybe he pushed it a little over his head... but he was at the right place trying...
'I had 2 low sides at the track practicing saturday before last...so happens...so if y'all want to flame someone for going down at the track. try my 61 year old on for size...
Old 03-15-2012, 02:44 PM   #50
Neon Samurai
3090 MotoGP Champion

Bike(s):
2010 Ducati Streetfighter (sold)
2012 Triumph Speed Triple R
2008 Triumph Sprint ST (Sold)
2014 BMW s1000R
2012 Aprilia Tuono (sold)

Neon Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:48 PM   #51
Smart Shark
The Prodigal 250 Rider

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650
2006 Honda CBR600RR (RIP)
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (RIP)

Geez, you guys are right. What kind of lays down their first bike twice

I'm still the most responsible new rider I know. The only two times I've ever been down where at the track, where you all claim is, "the best place to go down". And as soon as I'm back on two wheels, I'll be back on the track, albeit a little bit slower, honing skills and learning from mistakes. When a trackday instructor goes down, does that mean they need to sell their 600/1000SS and get a 250, since they obviously aren't ready for that kind of power?

Thayleal is correct, my bike was totaled and I though to myself, after 3500+ miles of riding, I could do worse things than upgrade to a bigger bike.

If you think I'm upgrading way too soon, I understand that. And can see why you'd think so. But I refuse to be made out as an irresponsible rider. ANYONE I've ever ridden with can vouch for my cautious riding behavior.

That being said, I love all y'all, and my flame suit is on and fastened, so come on. Flame me some more, and I'll see you at the next noob ride/M&G once I'm back on two wheels.

Last edited by Smart Shark; 03-15-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Smart Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:04 PM   #52
The -_-Asian
Axios!

Bike(s):
2011 CBR 250R
04 CBR 600RR

Send a message via AIM to The -_-Asian Send a message via Skype™ to The -_-Asian
You went down because you weren't riding correctly... You can't really say the same for an instructor. They went down and they know why they went down and can approach the same situation with corrections. 3500 miles isn't alot, unless all those were track miles. They're a lot of people who ride a million miles but still can't corner fast/correctly. Not to toot my own horn, but I feel i'm faster than the majority of riders in level one but still have the want and need to improve myself on my 250. Don't mean to sound repetetive, but learn the right cornering skills on a slower bike before jumping up. If you can't compete with another bike and rider in your class, then what what makes you think you'll do better with a bigger one? If you go with a bigger cc bike I think you're hurting yourself in the long run.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:05 PM   #53
Thayleal
GingerBrawp CMRA #369

Bike(s):
2006 SV650s (Sold)
2003 SV650s (sold)
2007 SV650S(Streetbike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The -_-Asian View Post
You went down because you weren't riding correctly... You can't really say the same for an instructor. They went down and they know why they went down and can approach the same situation with corrections. 3500 miles isn't alot, unless all those were track miles. They're a lot of people who ride a million miles but still can't corner fast/correctly. Not to toot my own horn, but I feel i'm faster than the majority of riders in level one but still have the want and need to improve myself on my 250. Don't mean to sound repetetive, but learn the right cornering skills on a slower bike before jumping up. If you can't compete with another bike and rider in your class, then what what makes you think you'll do better with a bigger one? If you go with a bigger cc bike I think you're hurting yourself in the long run.
Not hard to be better than me... just sayin...

Old 03-15-2012, 03:06 PM   #54
Rael
Communist Plant

Bike(s):
'12 Griso 8v
'13 Wr250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart Shark View Post
Geez, you guys are right. What kind of lays down their first bike twice

I'm still the most responsible new rider I know. The only two times I've ever been down where at the track, where you all claim is, "the best place to go down". And as soon as I'm back on two wheels, I'll be back on the track, albeit a little bit slower, honing skills and learning from mistakes. When a trackday instructor goes down, does that mean they need to sell their 600/1000SS and get a 250, since they obviously aren't ready for that kind of power?

Thayleal is correct, my bike was totaled and I though to myself, after 3500+ miles of riding, I could do worse things than upgrade to a bigger bike.

If you think I'm upgrading way too soon, I understand that. And can see why you'd think so. But I refuse to be made out as an irresponsible rider. ANYONE I've ever ridden with can vouch for my cautious riding behavior.

That being said, I love all y'all, and my flame suit is on and fastened, so come on. Flame me some more, and I'll see you at the next noob ride/M&G once I'm back on two wheels.
My flaming is less: OMG you won't be able to handle it/will highside within minutes of ownership; rather it is more: you want to spend a shitload of money for a bike that will be a trackday . That insurance quote was massive, used bike massive. Nothing wrong with riding hard on the track and taking a few lumps, but it just doesn't make sense to toss out more money than you have to for the same pleasure.

If you want an SS and a track and are looking in the 3-4k range with 4k allotted for insurance, buy two used bikes and get liability on both. Take the cheaper one to the track and keep the nicer one for the forest. Or get one used bike and keep a lot of cash in your pocket.
Rael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:09 PM   #55
Thayleal
GingerBrawp CMRA #369

Bike(s):
2006 SV650s (Sold)
2003 SV650s (sold)
2007 SV650S(Streetbike)

Essentially what I did... Bought a nicer SV to ride on the street.... then it turned out my beat up/cheapo track bound one is the only one I ever ride... so maybe there is wisdom in getting a used bike.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:09 PM   #56
The -_-Asian
Axios!

Bike(s):
2011 CBR 250R
04 CBR 600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thayleal View Post
Not hard to be better than me... just sayin...
True, but you caused wrecks... you could go backwards. If smart shark forgets all this advice, you should get his 250 and learn more.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:11 PM   #57
obed
TMGP Pimp

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

on track days I am not trying to be faster than anybody... and the only one I am trying to be better than is me....I pick something to work on and work on that....it may be a particular corner... on a bad day it may be relocating the basic line...trackdays for me are all about me, not about being faster....faster will come with getting what I want done, done...
Old 03-15-2012, 03:13 PM   #58
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Statistically you are crashing 4x per year and every 1700 miles at the rate you are going. I wouldn't go bigger just yet.
bluewave18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:23 PM   #59
NewRider
Riding, Eating & Partying

Bike(s):
Retrospec Fixie (Hipster ride)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rael View Post
My flaming is less: OMG you won't be able to handle it/will highside within minutes of ownership; rather it is more: you want to spend a shitload of money for a bike that will be a trackday . That insurance quote was massive, used bike massive. Nothing wrong with riding hard on the track and taking a few lumps, but it just doesn't make sense to toss out more money than you have to for the same pleasure.

If you want an SS and a track and are looking in the 3-4k range with 4k allotted for insurance, buy two used bikes and get liability on both. Take the cheaper one to the track and keep the nicer one for the forest. Or get one used bike and keep a lot of cash in your pocket.
Pretty much...

Though I still say to stay with the 250 if possible to buy it back.

HALFFAST GROUP
NewRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:24 PM   #60
Smart Shark
The Prodigal 250 Rider

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650
2006 Honda CBR600RR (RIP)
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The -_-Asian View Post
Am I not capable of approaching the same situation with corrections? I understand what y'all are saying. But I don't think it will hurt to upgrade. I don't plan on riding any faster right now... But someday, I will. And here, I have an opportunity to to upgrade with a very small financial loss, if any. Why pass up that opportunity?
Smart Shark is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement