MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2012, 11:58 AM   #61
cedestech

Feedback Rating: (12)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanXJ View Post
ride a comfortable bike and get comfortable gearknow the symptoms of heat exaustion and "stroke"

wear ear plugs, you can get enough to last you several years for about $22 to your door. just look for Howard Leight Max or Max Lite (box of 200 pairs) one pair will last weeks if you dont rub it in dirt...get the green Max Lite ones if you have small ear canal or are a pretty girl with nice pink toes.
THAT!

Commuting on a sport bike would be soooo suck. I know there are guys that do it but if you have a choice there are better ones.
cedestech is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Young guy looking for CREDIT advice. Give your tips. YoungGun Off Topic 71 07-02-2012 08:20 AM
Cagers* commuters to Downtown... Hooligan Off Topic 19 01-06-2009 01:34 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-16-2012, 02:16 PM   #62
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Agree with most posts so far, but don't think this is mentioned yet...

If in doubt... cage it in.

Have fun with your bike commute. If it becomes too much like a chore, then fergettaboutit. You should look forward to riding your bike, regardless of the purpose of the ride - be it commute or quick hop to the corner gas station. I found over this past Winter that I'm a 40/40 rider. Anything over 40% chance of rain or under 40degF, I think twice about rolling on 2wheels. This coming summer, I'll figure out what my limits are on the other end.

I wasted a TD at TWS (Texas World Speedway) a few weeks back, cus of rain. Others got some good wet track exercise out of it; more power to them. I just didn't feel like pushing my luck.

Do what you can to make your riding career a long and prosperous one. If it means riding less in the short term than you'd like otherwise, then so be it.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:24 AM   #63
lucydad

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2012 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2007 Kawasaki EX 500
1971 Honda 175 Scrambler
1967 Honda Mini Trail 50
1966 Honda Super 90

Prayers are covering you....
lucydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:00 AM   #64
Guitar Man
Keep moving!!!!>>>>>>>>>>

Bike(s):
2013 Suzuki V Strom DL650 22,000 miles
09 Yamaha FZ6 59,651 miles (RIP)
07 Yamaha FZ6 39,668 miles (RIP)
73 Triumph Tiger 750
Cannondale Quick CX4 (Pedal Powaa!!)

Lots of good info. One thing that I keep in mind is if for some reason I can't make my exit off the freeway I'm totally prepared to go to the next exit and get off. A little inconveinient, but better than being a grease spot on the road. Some people think they absolutely have to make that exit and that could be a higher risk of an incident. It's all about minimizing risk.

I look at every single car and even other cyclist like they don't see me and will get over on me anyway. The biggest recurring thing I've experienced is cars getting over on me. They will do last second lane changes and won't even look over their shoulder for a lane check. I simply move over a little and hit the gas to get by them.

And don't race the fart can Honda's or anyone. It's simply not worth it. A lot of accidents happen in these situations. I had a guy on a Kawasaki 1200 pass me up and I watched his left foot shift down a couple of gears and then he looked at me and asked me if I wanted to go. I had to laugh at that one. My little 600 wouldn't have kept up with him anyway. It was a loose loose situation as far as I saw it.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:04 AM   #65
Guitar Man
Keep moving!!!!>>>>>>>>>>

Bike(s):
2013 Suzuki V Strom DL650 22,000 miles
09 Yamaha FZ6 59,651 miles (RIP)
07 Yamaha FZ6 39,668 miles (RIP)
73 Triumph Tiger 750
Cannondale Quick CX4 (Pedal Powaa!!)

I don't know if it's been mentioned (I don't have time to read every post.) but I look at my mirrors when I come to a stop light and usually line my bike up with the side of the car in front of me so I can go between if someone looks like they are going to rear end me. I've heard of a lot of rear endings happening and most of them were dumb texting on their phones when it happened.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:11 PM   #66
blends
NYYYYYYEAAOWWWWWW

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 2 years

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to blends
a lot of good tips here, ill add one.

one thing that i would constantly do when riding on the street, whether it was freeways or 35mph streets, was make eye contact with people.

people always wanna see what the driver next to them looks like (so they can insult them properly when you do something stupid) so i usually wore a clear visor, and made eye contact. there's no better way to make sure they know you're there, than looking INTO THEIR SOUL.s
Old 03-17-2012, 09:24 PM   #67
blends
NYYYYYYEAAOWWWWWW

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 2 years

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to blends
also, some people think these are cheesy, but I put one of these on my bike for the visibility to cars behind me.

it spins nomally, and flashes when brakes are applied.

the one i had was a little slower, but you get the general idea.

Advertisement