MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2012, 11:05 PM   #21
Harveyj

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2003 ZX12-R
2006 LTR 450
2001 KX 250
2006 GSXR 600
2003 ZZR 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipboy326 View Post
I sold my zx6r to an MH member JROD0689. He has also sold the bike to someone else not too long ago.

I get mail from progressive about a motorcycle accident involving my old bike. Apparently both guys haven't switched the title from my name to theirs.

I did all appropriate paperwork, and I still have the email from the DPS confirming I gave them notice of the sale

I also have a copy of both the bill of sale and a copy of the title I signed over the day I sold the bike. Have I protected myself against any liability even though the new owners have not switched the title to their name?

What else would I need to do, I don't want any liability since I haven't seen or owned the bike since early October.

your good bud, but the top part of the tilte is suppose to be removed and mailed off to the address printed on it with a bill of sale, notifiying the DPS in Austin. but you said you had an email should be the same thing or close to it. no sweat.
Harveyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another motorcycle title question notsofast General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 01-27-2015 10:12 AM
motorcycle title question Supa Dave General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 01-23-2015 01:14 PM
Motorcycle Title problems OpnCskt Fresnel Phan Attorney At Law 11 12-04-2012 06:52 AM
motorcycle accident WarrenW General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 09-27-2012 11:36 AM
motorcycle title loan Infinite Off Topic 13 07-25-2012 10:32 AM
Advertisement
Old 03-14-2012, 11:50 PM   #22
Helios
Back again again...

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
06 Silver Gixxer

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
sucks....you kinda always hope MH people are somewhat legit....this proves that most of them probably aren't.
There is no screening process, anyone can join.
Obviously it happens with cars too.
It's more a reflection of society than that of MH.
Helios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:31 AM   #23
ormand
Deelish!

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2009 Ninja 650r
Total Mileage: 42,000

*ALWAYS* goto the tax office and submit the title in person with seller and buyer the day you sell a vehicle. Once the tax office gets the title in hand and its signed, its DONE and you can rest easy. I sold my old accord 12 years ago to someone for $2k cash, and considering the price point, I suspected he may not insure the vehicle so that's what I did.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:47 AM   #24
Ulric
Dirty Old

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Wonder how the state handles that now with the title transfer penalty thing...
Old 03-15-2012, 07:15 AM   #25
LCLF Brain
Mamaaaa! Yeah, mama!

Bike(s):
2014 stage 4 Street Glide
2011 Heritage Softail (sold)

Wackjum is correct about the forged cashier's checks and money orders. I would never do a deal with those, because they're so frequently forged.

When we bought my wife's bike from an individual, we took the seller, the bike, and went to our bank. We direct transferred the money to his leinholder's bank from our bank, and he watched the banker do the transaction. We then wrote him a personal check for the rest, with the banker verifying funds were present, which he could then cash at our bank there, or take to his bank and deposit, at his discretion. He then handed us the keys, a signed title transfer and a bill of sale. When the clear title came in, he was to give us a call and we would come get it.

That's the way you do it without risk to either party.
LCLF Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:33 AM   #26
LCLF Brain
Mamaaaa! Yeah, mama!

Bike(s):
2014 stage 4 Street Glide
2011 Heritage Softail (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormand View Post
*ALWAYS* goto the tax office and submit the title in person with seller and buyer the day you sell a vehicle. Once the tax office gets the title in hand and its signed, its DONE and you can rest easy. I sold my old accord 12 years ago to someone for $2k cash, and considering the price point, I suspected he may not insure the vehicle so that's what I did.
It's the buyer's responsibility to transfer the title, not the seller's. If the seller has a bill of sale, and has given the buyer all of the documentation signed, he's covered. I personally don't worry about it. If I sell a vehicle, it's theirs! I'm not on the hook for it any more.

A funny story... About 10 years ago, I traded in a Honda Civic, and about 6 months later I get notices from the City of Houston saying I'm delinquent on my parking tickets on that car. I call them and tell them I no longer own that car, and I never got any parking tickets when I did own it. They are very threatening with me, acted like they didn't believe me, all that stuff. They tell me I need to bring them a bill of sale. I say no, they can call the dealership where I traded it in and verify it if they wanted to, but I wasn't going to waste my time to fix someone else's mess. I tell them I already expended all the effort I was going to just giving them a call.

"What happens if I don't give you a bill of sale?"

"We're going to put a boot on your car the next time we see it."

(This chick has a comprehension issue...)

"HAHAHAHA!!! You can TRY!!! You'll never catch me, ever!!!"

*click*
LCLF Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:39 PM   #27
Sumo

Bike(s):
2007 DRZ400SM
2006 DRZ400E

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
i've started taking the plates off when i sell a bike, that way they'll at least to get a temp plate or run "dirty"

they get a BOS when they leave.
No joke. Same happened to me. The guy I sold it to sold it, and that kid wrecked it and the insurance company of the car he hit came looking for me. Neither had titled it. Had to go through the song and dance.

I'll never sell a bike with the plate on it again. I'm selling the bike, not the plate. Plate stays with me.
Sumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:18 AM   #28
CDN_bacon
Eh?

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
VFR800
CRF 250X

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
sounds like you've done everything.

i've started taking the plates off when i sell a bike, that way they'll at least to get a temp plate or run "dirty"

they get a BOS when they leave.
Anyone ever give you sh*t about selling them a bike w/o plates?

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True Story" - Barney Stinson
CDN_bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:56 AM   #29
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

sold 2 that way.

not alot to be said, its protecting me.

they have a BOS if a cop stops them

and they have to get it registered quickly if they want to ride legit. and thats no longer my prob.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:05 AM   #30
FJRmgm

Bike(s):
Yamaha FJR 1300
Honda CBR 954RR
Yamaha WR250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN_bacon View Post
Anyone ever give you sh*t about selling them a bike w/o plates?
you sold a person the vehicle - not the registration for it.

The plates belong to the individual who bought them.
FJRmgm is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement