MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2012, 11:21 AM   #1
THE DEAN OF LEAN
CMRA/WERA #171 AMA#771

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
GSXR 600 Race Bike

Member Garage

No Front Wheel Free Spin

I have been neglecting this for a while and want to fix it before TWS (Texas World Speedway). Anyone have any ideas? Basically I can place the same tire from Bike A to Bike B and get all the free spin I need. Put it back on Bike A and no free spin. It appears that the calipers are not releasing all the way which creates drag. I mean alot of drag. Basically with the front on a stand I spin the tire it goes about two inches.

So any ideas are appreciated. I have taken the pads out of one side and cleaned the caliper and pistons with a simple green water solution and a tooth brush and will finish the other one today, but I am not sure if this will do the trick.
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
wheel spin!? H2447INTX General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 06-07-2010 12:48 PM
NO FRONT WHEEL b$p Stunters Lounge 45 03-30-2010 01:08 AM
Rear Wheel Spin cdill35 Taking it to the Track 48 10-02-2009 11:44 PM
Offset front wheel-need help SuperStunt Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 2 08-24-2009 05:51 PM
front wheel falls off... Mr. Unassailable General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 01-30-2007 01:46 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-12-2012, 11:48 AM   #2
xxMICKEYxx

Feedback Rating: (0)

Are u sure the wheel spacers are installed correctly and the wheel is aligned?
xxMICKEYxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:57 AM   #3
plummer
dude

Bike(s):
k8 600
k13 600

Quote: Originally Postedby cdill35 Here is my crazy routine with my GSXR. Works like a charm. If I dont do all this ,they will drag.

1. spray the calipers with brake cleaner and clean the pistons 2. carefully use a flat headand push thepiston and pads in 3. loosen axle nut 3. loosen pinch bolts 4. bounce on the front end 5. reinstall the calipers 6. tighten left sidepinch bolts 7. tighten axle nut 8. tighten right side pinch bolts 9. SLOWLY pump the brake leverand I mean SLOWLY until you have good pressure 10. put it on the front stand 11. spin the front wheel and hit the front brakes several times to kind of jar line everything up.

Thisshould fix it. I also have my pad springs / clips/ antirattle whatever you call ems out.... GL!

This for a gsxr. Cdills method along with shoe shining the caliper seals with a shoe lace bathed in simple green. A shoe lace was the only way I could really get the seals polished spotless. Then I used dry teflon spray to lube them.

Hope it helps.
plummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:58 AM   #4
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

Have you bled from the master yet?
Old 03-12-2012, 12:23 PM   #5
THE DEAN OF LEAN
CMRA/WERA #171 AMA#771

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
GSXR 600 Race Bike

Member Garage

I have bled the master, and cleaned one caliper with the pads out, i will try the other side and see if that fixes it. Just didn't think it would be the cause
Old 03-12-2012, 12:28 PM   #6
Joshua42007

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
06' GSX-R 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by plummer View Post
Quote: Originally Postedby cdill35 Here is my crazy routine with my GSXR. Works like a charm. If I dont do all this ,they will drag.

1. spray the calipers with brake cleaner and clean the pistons 2. carefully use a flat headand push thepiston and pads in 3. loosen axle nut 3. loosen pinch bolts 4. bounce on the front end 5. reinstall the calipers 6. tighten left sidepinch bolts 7. tighten axle nut 8. tighten right side pinch bolts 9. SLOWLY pump the brake leverand I mean SLOWLY until you have good pressure 10. put it on the front stand 11. spin the front wheel and hit the front brakes several times to kind of jar line everything up.

Thisshould fix it. I also have my pad springs / clips/ antirattle whatever you call ems out.... GL!

This for a gsxr. Cdills method along with shoe shining the caliper seals with a shoe lace bathed in simple green. A shoe lace was the only way I could really get the seals polished spotless. Then I used dry teflon spray to lube them.

Hope it helps.

This worked for me, only it was the rear caliper on my K6 1k.

When placed on the rear stand, the rear wheel wouldn't even spin one revolution. After replacing my pads and finishing the technique mentioned above, the wheels moved freely without any other problems.
Joshua42007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:58 PM   #7
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

I had that on the CBR, lowsided twice in T4 at Barber because of it. Jason replaced the MC and problem solved.
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:12 PM   #8
MiniG0D
Teknulogicuhly Challunged

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2008 600RR Graffiti Edition

Plummer hit the nail on the head. If its right after an accident then my guess would be forks twisted in the triples or a messed up brake lever. (you can remove the lever completely to test that). To fix the twisted forks loosen the axle and the lower triple fork pinch bolts. And if they were twisted you'll likely feel the forks untwist. But while they are lose grab the front brake or put the front wheel against a wall (front tread not the wheel) and bounce up and down on the forks. That will help untwist. And then tighten them back.

Caliper pistons sticking is a common issue but that's usually a slow building up problem not something that happens right after a wreck.

One last thing could be a bent rotor. Easy to check. Fit something very stationary to rest on the rotor (like sit a pencil on a jack stand so the tip is touching it) And then spin the wheel slowly and see if the rotor pushes the pencil away or if a gap forms between the tip and the pencil) or use a dial indicator to measure runout.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:14 PM   #9
Skid

Bike(s):
CBR600RR

Do you have too much fluid in your master cylinder?

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
Skid is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement