MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2012, 08:51 PM   #21
BYRDMAN
WX MAN

Feedback Rating: (8)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Adventure 1190
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
I suggested the 003rs for now at his pace and I stand behind it. I've seen Zo take a stock Gsxr with 16's on it and run mid 40's. (I'm pretty sure that was the set up)

I myself have run 1:50's with 002's and 003r's.

I've also run ntecs, gps's and currently super corsas... Haven't lost the front or slid the rear on any of them(except for the ntecs when they were WAY past done being used up.

Honestly most people at his pace won't out ride most any tire. I know I never did and I've had the opportunity to try them all.
this.....

AMERICAN MADE WITH MEXICAN PARTS
BYRDMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Recommend me a doc anatram Health and Fitness 6 03-19-2013 12:58 PM
Recommend a bike upononer6 Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 35 07-16-2012 07:38 PM
Recommend me a bar busch06 Off Topic 34 12-16-2011 07:08 PM
Would you Recommend Shrooms? Htownz Off Topic 64 04-17-2010 09:26 AM
recommend me some gloves switch Gear Talk 12 08-05-2008 01:34 AM
Advertisement
Old 03-08-2012, 09:39 PM   #22
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

I have nothing but good things to say about the 003rs. I used it on the streets a lot and on the track in the beginning. I think it's a great tire at $200ish a set.

But if you're going to spend around $400 on a race tire why not buy the best that you can for around $400? That's like buying a Frank Thomas suit for the same price that you could have bought an A* suit and justifying it by saying, "oh well.. I'm a noob so I'll be going so slow that I dont need the extra protection so I'm going to stick with the Frank Thomas" Even though it cost nearly the same price?

I'm not saying spend $550 on a set of UK NTEC Slicks. What I am saying that if you're going to buy a dot race tire then buy something other than the 003 pro.

But don't listen to me. Sip the bridgestone kool aid. The rest of MH does.

Last edited by cdill35; 03-08-2012 at 09:42 PM.
cdill35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:39 PM   #23
Renzo
I do not consent

Feedback Rating: (13)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
r6

Member Garage

Michelin Pilot Pures FTW
Old 03-08-2012, 09:44 PM   #24
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
I have nothing but good things to say about the 003rs. I used it on the streets a lot and on the track in the beginning. I think it's a great tire at $200ish a set.

But if you're going to spend around $400 on a race tire why not buy the best that you can for around $400? That's like buying a Frank Thomas suit for the same price that you could have bought an A* suit and justifying it by saying, "oh well.. I'm a noob so I'll be going so slow that I dont need the extra protection so I'm going to stick with the Frank Thomas" Even though it cost nearly the same price?

I'm not saying spend $550 on a set of UK NTEC Slicks. What I am saying that if you're going to buy a dot race tire then buy something other than the 003 pro.

But don't listen to me. Sip the bridgestone kool aid. The rest of MH does.

for the record, I told him 003rs's
Old 03-08-2012, 09:50 PM   #25
mkgsxr
Banned

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
07 GSXR 600 "TRACK "
03 XR70 PIT

User is banned

mkgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:53 PM   #26
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!

Feedback Rating: (8)

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzo View Post
Michelin Pilot Pures FTW
lol..this guy!

I was thinking about getting a set of R10's but for the little extra I just went and got the AMA GPA's 211.
I used to have the Uk Gp's 211 but I'm too slow to know what to do with them So I got the GPA's and love it!!

Got my best time on my 1st track day this year.. the faster you'll get the more money you'll spend or tires and soon you'll want to have the best.

Get what you can afford but like said before.. for a few extra bucks you can get something better? then get it!
floyd600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:37 PM   #27
unswift

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2009 ZX-6R race
2008 EX250 race

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiayeman View Post
I have 003r's on my SV. I do run warmers.

In my opinion, it is all the tyre needed for a trackday ON AN SV. I run consistent 55's and managed to drop into the 53's a few laps at MSRH and felt rock steady.

At GSS, I did have a bit of trouble with it spinning up on the long right hand sweeper.

I'm no fast guy, but I can tell you that I don't need too much more tyre ON MY SV.

Perhaps the lads on I4's can give you more valuable feedback.

5 days and the tyres still have meat on them
Dude, just for fun, one day slap some Bridgestone slicks on that SV, run MSRH, and then come talk to me about how an SV doesn't need much more tire. But maybe you're right. Nobody needs a Ferrari either.

I've run the 003r, and they were fine. R10s are next up for me (I'm playing around with Dunlop GPAs right now). I've got a buddy who loved the 003r until the R10s came out. After he rode those, no looking back. My guess would be, don't try the R10s until you're ready to never look back at a lesser tire.
unswift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:07 PM   #28
plummer
dude

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
k8 600
k13 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkgsxr View Post
Thanks for the input everyone!!!!

Thanks Chris for setting me up with the 003rs's
You'll love them.
plummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:14 PM   #29
mkgsxr
Banned

Bike(s):
07 GSXR 600 "TRACK "
03 XR70 PIT

User is banned

Old 03-08-2012, 11:31 PM   #30
Renzo
I do not consent

Feedback Rating: (13)

Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
r6

Member Garage

Stoner runs Shinko when nobody is lookin!
Old 03-08-2012, 11:32 PM   #31
mkgsxr
Banned

Bike(s):
07 GSXR 600 "TRACK "
03 XR70 PIT

User is banned

Old 03-09-2012, 12:18 AM   #32
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Member Garage

OK, well it seems you've heard from about everyone. I'll drop a little info here for you.

The BT003RS is a great trackday/street tire. It essentially does a lot of things right and very few things wrong. Still a streetable product that performs very well on the track.

The BT003 Pro is last years race DOT. I only stock the soft front as it was the most popular, and the hard rear, as again for most trackday guys a beginner racers, that is the best compound. The target rider for these tires is the beginner racer on a budget. 120/180 combo for $280 + tax, and that is a hard deal to beat.

The R10 is the new race DOT from Bridgestone. Ty Howard just beat everyone (including Cdill35), on these in A Superstock at MSRH. I know that is nothing new, but he took on all comers and most on the UK NTEC, all lost out. Tony Nguyen finished on the Novice Podium twice out of 3 races, all on 1 set, on a GSXR 1000. These tires are legit. The grip levels are better than anything Bridgestone has ever put out in a DOT. Lots of WERA guys are leaving Dunlop and many other brands citing that the tire grips strong like the NTEC's but for a fraction of the cost. 120/180 combo will run you $380 + tax.

Essentially what I'm saying is, don't believe the Dunlop hype. It is just that, hype. I mean if the Dunlops is truly a superior tire, then why didn't anyone beat Ty? Why did Dustin Dominguez leave Dunlop after 1 race weekend? He is running Pirelli for the remainder of the 2012 CMRA season. The US made Dunlops are trash, no serious racer runs them in open competition. The AMA runs them, but then everyone is on the same tire so it just comes down to who can manage it better. The UK tire is a very good tire, but once you get to the level that it matters, you are really just splitting hairs. You put the same rider on the same bike setup for each of the tires, I doubt there would be much difference in the lap times. The R10's are that good.
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:48 AM   #33
mkgsxr
Banned

Bike(s):
07 GSXR 600 "TRACK "
03 XR70 PIT

User is banned

Old 03-09-2012, 07:59 AM   #34
cdill35

Bike(s):
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRC John View Post

The R10 is the new race DOT from Bridgestone. Ty Howard just beat everyone (including Cdill35), on these in A Superstock at MSRH. I know that is nothing new, but he took on all comers and most on the UK NTEC, all lost out. Tony Nguyen finished on the Novice Podium twice out of 3 races, all on 1 set, on a GSXR 1000. These tires are legit. The grip levels are better than anything Bridgestone has ever put out in a DOT. Lots of WERA guys are leaving Dunlop and many other brands citing that the tire grips strong like the NTEC's but for a fraction of the cost. 120/180 combo will run you $380 + tax.
I figured I'd wake up to something of this nature.

Ty Howard beats EVERYONE on ANY TIRE. Take Ty out of the equation and where is the next sprint expert on bridgestone dots to be found? I'm seriously interested in that answer. Not being a smart .

It's perplexing because if the tire is so good, cheap AND pays the highest contingency you'd think that most of the top experts would be on them trying to collect a little money.

Mid 43's on an R10 doesn't really sell the tire. That can be done on a $200 set of 003rs. Ask Alonzo.

Love you John.

Last edited by cdill35; 03-09-2012 at 08:02 AM.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:15 AM   #35
Cornerjunkie
Route Master Protege'

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
05 Yamaha R6 (Fully Blown Out)
Track bike Gsxr750 (working on it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd600 View Post
lol..this guy!

I was thinking about getting a set of R10's but for the little extra I just went and got the AMA GPA's 211.
I used to have the Uk Gp's 211 but I'm too slow to know what to do with them So I got the GPA's and love it!!

Got my best time on my 1st track day this year.. the faster you'll get the more money you'll spend or tires and soon you'll want to have the best.

Get what you can afford but like said before.. for a few extra bucks you can get something better? then get it!
I agree, last year i used nothing but Q2's, but this year going with Q2 GPA'a, you gotta get these babies warmed up before you can go hard though.
Cornerjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:18 AM   #36
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2003 Honda CRF450R motard
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

Review of the R10 by Tom Anderson a while back he posted on TSBA.

Hope he doesn't me posting here.

Bridgestone R10 race tires...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you attended the track day Sunday, likely there is no reason to read this review further... my opinion was heard across the paddock I believe.

For about 4 years while racing and doing track days, we tested various brands of tire when our favorite Michelin Pilot Race was replaced by the Pilot Power or whatever that thing was- we hated it. We tested Dunlop, Michelin, Pirelli, and even Metzler along with the Bridgestone. The Dunlop and Bridgestone were our favorite for longevity, consitent traction and feel; but the Bridgestone won out due to price. There was almost no difference in the two brand's DOT race tire that we found.

I have been a fan of the Bridgestone 003PRO tires since they came out. Before that I was a fan of the 002PRO, and the 090 we raced on the SV for a couple seasons before switching to the slicks. The 002PRO had a GREAT rear tire, but the front left something in the feel to be desired. Until Sunday, I still thought the 002PRO rear was the best tire they had made for the DOT race tires. The 003 came along and they fixed the front tire problem; it gave great feel and feedback but they eff'd up the rear (IMHO). The rear tire was good, and it was still something I liked better than other brands but it didn't wear very well no matter what I did with the air pressure.

So, when John at South Central Race Center called and said he needed some data at TWS (Texas World Speedway) with the new R10 tire, the successor to the 003, I knew that the double weekend at TWS (Texas World Speedway) was the right time and place to get it.

Initial reports from pro racers who did blind tire tests were exceptional, but I'd heard some of those stories before about other tires (and also saw that the Marketing and Sales personnel responsible for releasing the information were subsequently fired *cough cough* Pirelli Pro Slick *cough cough*). I was skeptical, but not as skeptical because it was a successor to a tire I already liked.

What I like about the tire (which is strikingly similar to the Dunlop too, just a lot cheaper) was the:
Stiffer carcass
Mid-corner traction/ feel
Tread wear
Consistency in the traction/ feel throughout the wear of the tire
What I didn't like:
Tread life versus the 002PRO for the rear tire (still good, but not as good)
Spin with aggressive corner exit at higher speed tracks (like TWS (Texas World Speedway) and Cresson)
Tire wear really affected by lower air pressures- this is true for all tires, but in order to get better grip (especially with corner exit) lowering the pressure caused almost excessive tire wear IMHO

So, with a cold track on Sunday morning, I went right out for the first A group session, scrubbed the tires for a lap, and then opened it up a bit. What I found was that the tires performed so differently I had to DRASTICALLY adjust my lines and reference points. The level of grip and control was so much greater, it caused my braking points to be waaay too early, my turn in points to be waaaaay too early, and my point of full-throttle to be waaaaaaaaaaaay too late! I spent the whole session just learning my way around the track again and finding out what a tire that doesn't spin up (at all), and gives such incredible grip (slowing me down in the corners using my traditional reference points), gets me around the track like. All told, I was still consistently in the 1:55- 1:54 lap times without giving any effort and feeling like I was way off because of my change in the way my bike was handling with these tires.

I don't know how to describe the difference. I don't think I've processed how different these tires are to articulate it, so let me just throw some random facts out there:
I rode every B group session with a student (8, 20-minute sessions), I let my good friend ride my bike in every C group session (9, 20-minute sessions), and I rode 5 of the 8 A group sessions (again 20-minute sessions at a pace ranging from 1:50- 1:54), and the rear tire just hit the wear bar.
I was litterally able to be greedy with the throttle, sometimes too aggressive, with no un-toward effects (practiced under controlled conditions, not as a mistake); teaching me that I was able to get on the gas a lot earlier and harder than I could in the past.
The edge grip SURPASSED the Bridgestone and Pirelli slicks I had ridden for the past several years.
The price is only 10% higher (I think) than the 003PRO tire.
By the second session, I was able to drop my lap times considerably and was running with liter bikes with no issues and still had time to make up.
I did not touch anything on my suspension, nor did I adjust the tire pressures all day long.
The tires were on warmers all day, cooled off while my friend was riding in the C group (noticably), and went right on track again when I rode in the A group right after (no untoward effects with grip, I was able to go "fast" on the out lap)

So, should "you" go buy a set of these tires? Abso-facking-lootly. You should also try other brands of tires so you build your own database of preference and knowledge. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for anyone else. Not to mention I've only tested these tires at one track for one day, albeit the track with the worst tire wear of any of the rest and the fastest track in the State.

These tires are THE BEST tires I have ever ridden, including the slicks I've raced on, but definitely better than any race DOT I have raced on.
CMRA#665 (neighbor of the beast)
The Problem - Endurance
Tojo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:29 AM   #37
cdill35

Bike(s):
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

I hate forums.

But I just can't seem to stay away.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:31 AM   #38
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

Quote:
I hate forums.

But I just can't seem to stay away.
Cause of my posting Tom's review?

It's just another data point for someone to look at.
The Problem - Endurance
Old 03-09-2012, 08:45 AM   #39
cdill35

Bike(s):
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tojo92 View Post
Cause of my posting Tom's review?

It's just another data point for someone to look at.
no...not at all.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:47 AM   #40
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

Quote:
no...not at all.
OK. I think we should start an oil thread...

I like running Amzoil/Castrol/Repsol dino-full synthetic self blended at 0/80Wt so I've got lots of range.
The Problem - Endurance

Advertisement