Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2006, 03:15 AM   #1
R6kid
aggies class of 2010

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
2006 GSXR 1000 Red/Black

Send a message via AIM to R6kid
TIG welding

I saw a post a while back about somebody needing an aluminum tab welded back on....a guy i know that went to wyotech has a tig welder and will do it cheaper than any shop (he does all the work for my family's cars, everything from superchargers to aftermarket lights)

guystrtrcr18@hotmail.com
his names jeremy...just throwing that out there incase anybody still needed or needs aluminum welding done
R6kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any one Good with Tig Welding ?? Jenk's Performance and Modifications 5 09-29-2015 08:40 AM
TIG Welding Instruction needed. longboarder65 Off Topic 13 07-03-2013 02:20 PM
TIG Welding Ti- North Side Stang Man General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 01-15-2011 07:25 PM
Tig welding Mr F. General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 11-20-2009 12:25 PM
Can anyone around here tig weld? ZXALAN General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 11-17-2007 02:25 PM
Advertisement
Old 12-11-2006, 03:16 AM   #2
Longnguyen

Feedback Rating: (0)

do you think this guy you know can heat up a brake lever and hammer or bend it back to flat?
Longnguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 03:20 AM   #3
R6kid
aggies class of 2010

Bike(s):
2006 GSXR 1000 Red/Black

i asked him on aim...he said he's sure he could make it happen but from his knowledge most of those brake levers are cheap, might be worth your while to just get a new one
Old 12-11-2006, 03:46 AM   #4
Longnguyen

oh yes i have bought a new one for like 65 bucks but the one that i messed up is a trick part that i cant even find for the past 2 months. I think it was special made or limited made.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:17 AM   #5
paniro187

edit

When you add emotion to any equation, you can't trust the results-Unknown

Last edited by paniro187; 12-11-2006 at 09:48 AM.
paniro187 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 10:35 AM   #6
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Always good to have the name of a good aluminum welder!

My cousin just graduated from Wyotech last year. Small world.

Long,
How bad is it bent. I've had some success slightly straightening levers / pedals etc through the years.

However, cast materials typically don't "bend" well.

They may bend pretty far without cracking initially in one direction, but once they're bent they don't do well going back in the other direction.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 12:05 PM   #7
Longnguyen

i would say its bent 30-45 degrees and several metal shops wouldnt do it because of the reason they think it will crack but i suggest they heat it until its glowing and try because even if it does break it was better to try than just throw it away. If anything i will bring it with me when i head up there to get measured for the back protector and other things.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:12 PM   #8
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

On a molecular level cast aluminum doesn't respond the same way as say steel does to heat, but I'll look at it just the same when you bring it up.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 01:03 PM   #9
R6kid
aggies class of 2010

Bike(s):
2006 GSXR 1000 Red/Black

ya thats exactly what he was sayin...i just didn't understand lol sounds like it would lose strength even if you got it to bend back
Old 12-11-2006, 04:43 PM   #10
GLD
track junkie

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
F2 w/ F3 engine 2001 RC51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
However, cast materials typically don't "bend" well.

They may bend pretty far without cracking initially in one direction, but once they're bent they don't do well going back in the other direction.
Patrick again is absolutely correct. From my basic materials classes it has to do with the crystalline structure and how exactly it was cast and allowed to cool. A good materials guy could explain it to you.

Here's the point-just get a new lever (usually only 30 bucks or so) and save the old one-in case you absolutely destroy the new one and just need something to put on that can function.
GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 07:10 PM   #11
Longnguyen

Quote:
Originally Posted by R6kid
ya thats exactly what he was sayin...i just didn't understand lol sounds like it would lose strength even if you got it to bend back
It may loose strenght but its not like i will put much weight on it and it hardly even gets used only there because tech requires functioning rear brake
Old 12-11-2006, 07:21 PM   #12
Rick H.I.C.
Got Surf? Snow? Track?

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
03' 600RR, 05' CR125, 88'NSR 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
On a molecular level cast aluminum doesn't respond the same way as say steel does to heat, but I'll look at it just the same when you bring it up.
Internally it heats up and comes apart, seperates easy causing it to crack. Never glows red hot either, that's what makes it hard to know when it's maliable.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:04 PM   #13
Longnguyen

oh hmmmmmm well guess we do it the tim taylor way.....just use mega 999999 F hahahaha
Old 12-11-2006, 10:54 PM   #14
zero_cool

Member Garage

if its alum. and you try to heat it all its going to do is anneal it and make it soft. your best bet is to try and bend it back slowly so the metal doesn't heat from the stress and snap. if it does snap, just weld it back but heat is the last thing you want when working aluminum.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:01 PM   #15
Longnguyen

i dont know if its alum. i think its forged steel
Old 12-11-2006, 11:30 PM   #16
zero_cool

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longnguyen
i dont know if its alum. i think its forged steel
if its forged steel and less than 45 degrees out, heat that puppy up and bend her back. i wouldn't get it glowing hot but use a good amount of heat. you heat it too much and the metal will do some wierd stuff depending on how it is cooled. if its not too thick you might even be able to bent it back without heat, just a good amount of leverage. i've bent back alum. brake pedals that were well past 45 deg. so i know yours can be fixed. just takes a good feel for what the metal is doing and a little patience. hey, was that you with that itty bitty ol' track bike at the Motorcycles Unlimited bbq a while back?
Old 12-11-2006, 11:45 PM   #17
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Will a magnet stick to it? If so heat it and beat it.
If it's aluminum there is a trick you could try. If you take a torch and turn off the oxy (you get a smokey yellow flame) pass that back and forth and it will leave soot (carbon) on the surface.
Turn the oxy back on and carefully heat. When you see the carbon disappear you are very close to the melting point of aluminum. Heat away all the carbon you put in the area you want to bend.
The hard part is that aluminum doesn't change appearance until it melts. One second it is fine the next it is liquid.
Let air cool and the aluminum will be as soft as the alloy will allow. You may be able to safely bend it straight.
The trick is to reheat treat that area. Can't help you with that sorry.Heat treating is a science.
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 11:47 PM   #18
Longnguyen

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero_cool
if its forged steel and less than 45 degrees out, heat that puppy up and bend her back. i wouldn't get it glowing hot but use a good amount of heat. you heat it too much and the metal will do some wierd stuff depending on how it is cooled. if its not too thick you might even be able to bent it back without heat, just a good amount of leverage. i've bent back alum. brake pedals that were well past 45 deg. so i know yours can be fixed. just takes a good feel for what the metal is doing and a little patience. hey, was that you with that itty bitty ol' track bike at the Motorcycles Unlimited bbq a while back?
yes that was me
Old 12-12-2006, 12:09 AM   #19
zero_cool

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee
Will a magnet stick to it? If so heat it and beat it.
If it's aluminum there is a trick you could try. If you take a torch and turn off the oxy (you get a smokey yellow flame) pass that back and forth and it will leave soot (carbon) on the surface.
Turn the oxy back on and carefully heat. When you see the carbon disappear you are very close to the melting point of aluminum. Heat away all the carbon you put in the area you want to bend.
The hard part is that aluminum doesn't change appearance until it melts. One second it is fine the next it is liquid.
Let air cool and the aluminum will be as soft as the alloy will allow. You may be able to safely bend it straight.
The trick is to reheat treat that area. Can't help you with that sorry.Heat treating is a science.
you aren't lying when you say its tricky heat treating. i used to work for company that produces oil pipeline and we did a lot of heat treating. if your off 20 degrees it can affect the integrity of the metal pretty greatly. quenching and tempering is a cake walk, its that naturalizing and annealing thats a bioch.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:51 AM   #20
ysr612

Bike(s):
Transalp, DRZ, Hurricane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longnguyen
yes that was me
well this thread really got Jacked. If it were me and a brake lever I would take it off the bike heat it up and throw it in a dumpster go down and ask Patrick or Andy or what ever shop you like for a new one. If it were a clutch for street riding then I would try all these tricks some sound like they would work.

ps make sure you right side of the bike works
ysr612 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement