MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2006, 12:22 PM   #121
pigpen
Radiator Wrecker

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2000 ZX-12R

Patrick - thanks for your time with the maintenance class.

Great deal on the Jacket and gripps too

There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about!!!
pigpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Basic Bike Maintenance Workshop Oct. 11th! Patrick How To's and Q & A's 28 10-22-2008 04:18 PM
Basic Bike Maintenance Workshop August 9th Patrick How To's and Q & A's 30 08-09-2008 07:07 PM
Basic Bike Maintenance Workshop July 14th Patrick How To's and Q & A's 39 07-14-2007 10:34 PM
Basic Bike Maintenance Workshop May 12th Patrick How To's and Q & A's 45 05-14-2007 07:11 AM
Basic Bike Maintenance Workshop March 10th Patrick How To's and Q & A's 24 03-11-2007 12:38 AM
Advertisement
Old 12-17-2006, 12:31 PM   #122
pigpen
Radiator Wrecker

Bike(s):
2000 ZX-12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcomfynumero2
Yeap Big thanks to Patrick for the clinic. Learned a few tricks and confirmed some old ones(yes, I know repost). And many many thanks for violating my bike she a little young to be naked in public already:icon_bigg :notworthy

Hey Swift next week try to come out seriously that was a teaser
Give me a shout if yall get out next Sunday (I'll have guests over on Fri/Sat though).

BTW - I was catching about 3/4 the directions you were giving me during the ride yesterday. I-pod was cranked too high

There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about!!!
pigpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 01:08 PM   #123
Swift E

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Triumph 675

Next weekend is ROUGH with Christmas and all.
Maybe the first weekend after or the day after Christmas?
Old 12-19-2006, 11:38 AM   #124
BuddyWho?

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2004 GS 500F

Digital Gauges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
In my experience, most digital gauges do not give repeatable accuracy.
I base this on the number of gauges we've checked on our calibrator as well as disassembling a few of them and seeing how they're made.

Most of them use a coiled wire spring, just like a dial gauge, to measure the pressure. Typically the wire material is cheap and doesn't always give the same tension, plus they are more sensitive to being dropped, tossed in the toolbox etc..
I appreciate the input Patrick. Reminds me of my Navy days when we sent our whole zoo collection of tools over to the sub-tender to get them calibrated. I already took the half casing off my slime digital to see just what the heck was inside, oh yeah, and to see where the battery was too, now I am thinking about doing it again to see if they have a coiled wire spring. They must make them pretty darn small now-a-days but I will look again now I know what to look for.

I noticed in a previous thread, which you discussed the importance of tire pressures, you mentioned the pencil gauges from Walmart and Auto-zone are junk. I had my NAPA pencil gauge, for about 5 years, until the Slime Gauge illustrated to me that the pencil gauge was out of calibration. Any suggestions on notable brands to not pass on? I had a helluva time looking for a decent product testing company/website on the net. Guess they don't adverstise much or I used the wrong wording to search by. Thanks again.
BuddyWho? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 11:41 AM   #125
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyWho?
I appreciate the input Patrick. Reminds me of my Navy days when we sent our whole zoo collection of tools over to the sub-tender to get them calibrated. I already took the half casing off my slime digital to see just what the heck was inside, oh yeah, and to see where the battery was too, now I am thinking about doing it again to see if they have a coiled wire spring. They must make them pretty darn small now-a-days but I will look again now I know what to look for.

I noticed in a previous thread, which you discussed the importance of tire pressures, you mentioned the pencil gauges from Walmart and Auto-zone are junk. I had my NAPA pencil gauge, for about 5 years, until the Slime Gauge illustrated to me that the pencil gauge was out of calibration. Any suggestions on notable brands to not pass on? I had a helluva time looking for a decent product testing company/website on the net. Guess they don't adverstise much or I used the wrong wording to search by. Thanks again.
g3870

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement