MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > Safety Corner Main
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2006, 01:00 AM   #41
Buck Nasty
-playboy-

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):

anyone know if $150 is a good price for a flat black shoei tzr helmet? or if its snell approved? i tried looking it up but keep finding rf1000's
Buck Nasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bell Helmets CarbonJames Safety Corner Main 3 09-21-2013 11:42 AM
Bell Helmets CarbonJames Gear Talk 3 09-20-2013 10:58 AM
Bell Helmets CBR_TRAN General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 03-19-2012 10:27 AM
New Bell Helmets morvegil General Discussion (Moto Related) 24 02-23-2011 05:29 PM
Advertisement
Old 12-14-2006, 01:02 AM   #42
nihaikitty
Squidette

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
'04 EX500
'08 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Nasty
anyone know if $150 is a good price for a flat black shoei tzr helmet? or if its snell approved? i tried looking it up but keep finding rf100's
heck yeah its snell approved, its a shoei! they usually sell for like $280 and up! is it new? what size?
nihaikitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 01:07 AM   #43
rob78
. . . . . . . . .

Feedback Rating: (10)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Late Model Never-Was

Quote:
Originally Posted by nihaikitty
heck yeah its snell approved, its a shoei! they usually sell for like $280 and up! is it new? what size?
Agreed all shoei's are snell approved.. I was gonna buy that excat model but went with a suomy instead, if you search you can find one for about 280 but most everywhere is 360+..
TMGP #78
Team I Just Wanna Ride #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastynesto85 View Post
go ahead and cry so I can use the tears as lubrication to stick it in you
rob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 02:26 AM   #44
nihaikitty
Squidette

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
'04 EX500
'08 SV650

Ebay, yo!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SHOEI...spagenameZWD1V
nihaikitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 07:49 AM   #45
BuddyWho?

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2004 GS 500F

TZR Shoei helm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Nasty
anyone know if $150 is a good price for a flat black shoei tzr helmet? or if its snell approved? i tried looking it up but keep finding rf1000's
Just put it this way; I purchased mine from Cycle gear, was a clearance item, not too many left, priced at $289.99 , thank you Awesome cycles for the 10% MSF discount lol. Gets warmish to hot. Only a top of the head vent and a anti-fog vent, umm which works best in motion. Yes Snell approved. Yes comfortable, unless you follow manufacturers recomendations for adjusting the chin strap and got a longish type head like mine.

Good price and $150. Sounds good, wished I had paid that but purchased mine new. When I hear others buying helms at $600+ I think WOW as the only word in mind . Good luck to you. Here is a vendor link which many times I have seen just duplicate info from manufactures sites.

http://www.helmetshop.com/ItemMatrix...=&MatrixType=1

Last edited by BuddyWho?; 12-17-2006 at 07:55 AM.
BuddyWho? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 09:21 AM   #46
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Since this thread has been reopened I'd like to throw in that, Motorcycle Consumer News did a huge study earlier this year. Their findings were that snell helmets tended to be harder and therefore transmitted more energy to the wearers head.
Some of the cheapest helmets that are not snell approved actually did a better job protecting the head and not transferring too much energy. There is a whole involved controversy surrounding testing of helmets but bottom line is the energy transfer.
So those of you who spent $600 on a helmet shouldn't be too quick to put down those who can't afford one... They may be better protected than you.
bumblebee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 09:41 AM   #47
gix1k

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
GSXR600 Yamaha Roadstar Ducati 848 2009 GSXR1000 Sold

helmet

Actualy I believe either Sportrider or Motorcylce mag did a in depth testing on all the different certifications and they found that cost made no difference on how well head was protected. The more expensive the helmet more bells and whistles thats all. In fact I believe snell certified helmets have stiffer EPS liner which requieres more force from your head to compress it-not ideal in my opinion. I think DOT and BS standard which Suomy has both is more forgiving. That means it requires less force to compress the liner which translates to less trauma to the head. That if I remember right was the general finding of the test but they all protect the head better than nothing. I would perfer to wear a DOT BS standard helmet as first choice though.
Do a search on either mag and you may find the article very interesting.

^^^^^^^^^^^
Just saw Bumble reply exactly what I just said but he beat me to it.
gix1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 10:47 AM   #48
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Snell is harder because it has to withstand a double penetration test. they might withstand a getoff and do a good job but throw in a slide into a pole or street sign and things would get questionable. non snell helmets will just crack apart. higher end helmets are designed to spread the force around the shell and stay intact incase you keep going and hit something else.
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 12:44 PM   #49
gix1k

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
GSXR600 Yamaha Roadstar Ducati 848 2009 GSXR1000 Sold

helmet

^^^^^^
not necessarily

Here you go www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/index.html
gix1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 10:34 PM   #50
pester
Black olives matter

Feedback Rating: (12)

Bike(s):
2007 yamaha fz6
1998 yamaha wr 400 motard

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchdoctor575
Snell is harder because it has to withstand a double penetration test. they might withstand a getoff and do a good job but throw in a slide into a pole or street sign and things would get questionable. non snell helmets will just crack apart. higher end helmets are designed to spread the force around the shell and stay intact incase you keep going and hit something else.
well mine was snell and when i went down protected my head good

didnt feel a thing and yes my head hit the floor too
pester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 12:41 AM   #51
Princess
MH's ex fake mod

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
06 ZX-6R
09 Santa Cruz SL
Serotta Legend Ti

Send a message via AIM to Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by gix1k
Actualy I believe either Sportrider or Motorcylce mag did a in depth testing on all the different certifications and they found that cost made no difference on how well head was protected. The more expensive the helmet more bells and whistles thats all. In fact I believe snell certified helmets have stiffer EPS liner which requieres more force from your head to compress it-not ideal in my opinion. I think DOT and BS standard which Suomy has both is more forgiving. That means it requires less force to compress the liner which translates to less trauma to the head. That if I remember right was the general finding of the test but they all protect the head better than nothing. I would perfer to wear a DOT BS standard helmet as first choice though.
Do a search on either mag and you may find the article very interesting.

^^^^^^^^^^^
Just saw Bumble reply exactly what I just said but he beat me to it.

That can all depend on the fall. At a low speed, and if each section of the helmet is only impacted once, then a non-Snell helmet might be a little better. In anything with higher speeds, the DOT only might be too soft. Also if the same spot is hit multiple times, the Snell would probably be a better bet. Personally i don't care which brand of helmet another rider is wearing. . . I'm sticking to my X-11.
Princess is offline   Reply With Quote