MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2006, 11:20 AM   #21
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99eight
I can't remember the name, but there actually is a company that delivers your choice of bike with any of a long laundry list of upgrades up to a high-end privateer racebike. I think they had a top end GSXR1K fully loaded at $30K. I think they also arrange their own financing, etc...

The manufactures themselves are still a little limited as they are requiremed to deliver bikes that still meet emissions, etc
Motorcycles-Unlimited?

:icon_bigg

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any OEM warranty from tire manufacturers? SideVinder650 General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 10-28-2014 12:58 PM
so whay kinda weird enforcement rule is this RACER X Forum Updates & Feedback 25 12-18-2008 08:38 AM
Why are american car manufacturers still doing this? Redux The Circus 37 10-27-2008 11:00 PM
Mother of All Bombshells: Manufacturers Considering Rival Series jodyhudson Taking it to the Track 19 06-30-2008 09:54 AM
one more vid. TWISTED METAL Off Topic 7 06-25-2006 04:38 PM
Advertisement
Old 12-08-2006, 11:37 AM   #22
99eight

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
998 and 999

Not what I was thinking of... BUT I'm sure Patrick can set you up VERY nicely. These guys had an article one of the mags recently...
99eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 11:54 AM   #23
gixxerbill

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Hey Glen, you and bor are going to be missed tomorrow. But we will try to have fun w/o ya.
gixxerbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 12:09 PM   #24
99eight

Bike(s):
998 and 999

Thanks Bill. Far too long since my last track day. You guys be careful. Sounds like it will be a good one!
99eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 12:36 PM   #25
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArturoC
As far as suspension goes, I believe Honda owns Showa so if I were them, I'd be hesitant to slap on the latest tech from Ohlins. Dunno about the other japanese guys.
Did you see Zemke's Daytona bike?
Ohlins front and rear.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 12:42 PM   #26
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99eight
Thanks Bill. Far too long since my last track day. You guys be careful. Sounds like it will be a good one!
Don't worry I will(careful that is) . I don't want Doug to get burned out ya know on helping with the bike. What a nice guy. I think I will be buying alot meals this weekend.
gixxerbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 12:43 PM   #27
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to ArturoC Send a message via AIM to ArturoC Send a message via Yahoo to ArturoC Send a message via Skype™ to ArturoC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
Did you see Zemke's Daytona bike?
Ohlins front and rear.

Yeah. The AMA guys have 'split' from the Honda factory and developing their own bikes within American Honda. Whereas in the past, the bikes were developed in Japan by HRC and purchased or leased for the season. So as of last year, or was it the year before, the AMA boys are running Ohlins and doing their own engine development etc..
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Sponsors: D&D - GoPro - Amsoil
ArturoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 01:29 PM   #28
Flying Scot

Bike(s):
Triumph Daytona 650

Send a message via AIM to Flying Scot Send a message via MSN to Flying Scot
This goes more into marketing and ROI more than "think of the best bike the Japs can produce." It is obvious the Japs can design/manufacture some of the best in-line 4's available and it's fair to say they "own" this market BUT that's just the very reason why they won't diverse into other markets. It is in my opinion any company could commit to building a "super" super bike with high end specs BUT the time/investment/trials and errors it would take to do this would hurt the resources needed to maintain the leader status in it's current market. In addition - if the same effort of resources were commited to the current market, the Return of Investment would be greater than should it diverse.

Now I understand Honda/acura and Toyota/Lexus all probably hold their own and have made money BUT again if they had to choose one focus Honda and Toyota would drop Acura/Lexus in a heartbeat because they'll always be second best to others in this market and they'll never make the same PROFITS as Honda/Toyota.

I hope I havn't confused the answer: bottom line it's not worth the hassle albeit you would end up with a great product the bottom line is what counts

www.jmoncur06.bebo.com
www.myspace.com/getitupyee
Flying Scot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 02:26 PM   #29
level5
moving chicane

Marketing people have already thought about this, old news/ideas. As the saying goes "IF it is not broken, why fix it?".
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 04:18 PM   #30
Derek Steptoe
aka MULATTO

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
:-(

Send a message via AIM to Derek Steptoe
Everyone has good points on this. I think I would like to also see the current trend in bike components continue on production bikes for the current price points, but with MORE options of QUALITY aftermarket brands to allow riders to individualize their bikes setup without always having to default to 1 or 2 brands like Ohlins. And like someone said, Ohlins stuffis great, but most riders can't even push the limits of the current stock components.

/rambling off

Last edited by Derek Steptoe; 12-08-2006 at 04:29 PM.
Derek Steptoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 04:25 PM   #31
Rick H.I.C.
Got Surf? Snow? Track?

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
03' 600RR, 05' CR125, 88'NSR 250

Cookie cutter bikes, low production cost, high production, fewer mistakes = higher profits. Trying to keep cost down blahh!
Old 12-08-2006, 04:34 PM   #32
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulatto
Everyone has good points on this. I think I would like to also see the current trend in bike components continue on production bikes for the current price points, but with MORE options of QUALITY aftermarket brands to allow riders to individualize their bikes setup without always having to default to 1 or 2 brands like Ohlins. And like someone said, Ohlins stuffis great, but most riders can't even push the limits of the current stock components.

/rambling off
well hopefully the people looking for these options can push it..

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 04:40 PM   #33
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

i would imagine they are trying to keep costs down so they can sell their bikes in mass quantity.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:29 PM   #34
atomicmoondog
Self Made Genius

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Sure they are trying to control costs in the highly competitive Superbike and Supersport platform.
That's not the point.
Here is the point:(I will use Honda as an example)
Honda is ignoring a segment of the market that is very profitable.
Ducati runs factories and employs people and takes checks to the bank with a fraction of the resources that Honda has.
At the end of the day, Honda has the technology edge on all of the Italians, from a design and manufacturing standpoint (in my opinion). This would benefit the consumer at all levels eventually.
Maybe Honda should build these elite bikes in their Italian factory (that they currently manufacture the 599 in) and hire some cheif designer named Claudio Studlioni or Guido Hotsnotelli. Call the bike Fastashellis. Whatever. You get my point.
They could do some amazing things with this business model and at the end of the day it would benefit everyone because it would increase competition at the high-end which always, eventually, trickles down to the little guy.

-Rick
Old 12-08-2006, 05:39 PM   #35
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

the Scion company allows the customers to customize their cars. i wouldnt buy a scion type motorcycle
Old 12-08-2006, 06:09 PM   #36
Longnguyen

hey well the company owns alot of the aftermarket stuff so why not put crappy oem stuff and then let them buy the bike and add on other stuff to make more money? gennnnnnnnnnnuis, yamaha owns ohlins btw

Last edited by Longnguyen; 12-08-2006 at 06:16 PM.
Longnguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 06:58 PM   #37
04RSVR
Professional Jack @ss

Bike(s):
BMW K1200 R Sport
Honda 305 Superhawk project bike
working on a motoped

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo3rd
the Scion company allows the customers to customize their cars. i wouldnt buy a scion type motorcycle
You do know that is a Toyota company right?

"It is better to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow." -- Mann
04RSVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 07:01 PM   #38
04RSVR
Professional Jack @ss

Bike(s):
BMW K1200 R Sport
Honda 305 Superhawk project bike
working on a motoped

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcomfynumero2
Excellent point many people have a small . Poor Bastards! LOL.
HEY!!! NOW EVERYONE IS GONNA KNOW!! Thanks a lot Buddy!!

Now I gotta sell the Aprilia and the Infiniti.

"It is better to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow." -- Mann
04RSVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 08:35 PM   #39
SecretAgent
The one and only

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
08 Harley FXDB Street Bob

Send a message via AIM to SecretAgent
Honda tried building a few bikes in the past to compete with the Italians. No one was willing to pay that kinda cash for a bike. Maybe times have changed, but no one's willing to take the risk again...

The 1992 Honda NR 750
hondanr1

course, it didn't help that it was a piece of junk.
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous. "
-Hunter S. Thompson
SecretAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 08:52 PM   #40
Flying Scot

Bike(s):
Triumph Daytona 650

Send a message via AIM to Flying Scot Send a message via MSN to Flying Scot
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicmoondog
Sure they are trying to control costs in the highly competitive Superbike and Supersport platform.
That's not the point.
Here is the point:(I will use Honda as an example)
Honda is ignoring a segment of the market that is very profitable.
Ducati runs factories and employs people and takes checks to the bank with a fraction of the resources that Honda has.
At the end of the day, Honda has the technology edge on all of the Italians, from a design and manufacturing standpoint (in my opinion). This would benefit the consumer at all levels eventually.
Maybe Honda should build these elite bikes in their Italian factory (that they currently manufacture the 599 in) and hire some cheif designer named Claudio Studlioni or Guido Hotsnotelli. Call the bike Fastashellis. Whatever. You get my point.
They could do some amazing things with this business model and at the end of the day it would benefit everyone because it would increase competition at the high-end which always, eventually, trickles down to the little guy.

-Rick
I know what your saying but I think you are missing the forrest because of the trees! And there is something I do not agree with you on - I do not feel the companies are ignoring a VERY profitable market. It isn't that easy to diversify into anything you are not familiar with let alon to do it AND make profit. Top dogs at Ducati will be the first to tell you they havn't mastered anything, they just manage what they have and work hard at keeping it that way. What you are essentially asking is why doesn't Honda build a V-twin engine for a lightweight slim lined super bike with all the bells and whistles from manufacturers they have no relationship with and then try sell it in line with Italian pricing and expect riders to pay for it KNOWING it is STILL a Honda.

Think about it from start to finish. I am sure Honda given all it's resources could create a phenominal machine but at what price? Would the CBR series hurt? Probably yes. Would it Honda race it? Probably not given there recent success therefore you wouldn't see it on the track therefore nobody would really be interested.

The best example I can give you is my bike. ALthough I love my Daytona 650 it is an in line 4 that tried to take on the 600 class and failed miserably. The first thing they did was outsource the design to Japs just as you mentioned Honda could hire the Italians but it still did not work. After 2 miserable years of sale fugures Triumph went back to what it does best 3 cyclinder engines and the 675 triple which has hands down won the 600 class in 2006 and although some will disagree most professionals had clearly classed it the best bike of 06

www.jmoncur06.bebo.com
www.myspace.com/getitupyee
Flying Scot is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement