MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2006, 09:24 AM   #1
atomicmoondog
Self Made Genius

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Why don't the manufacturers do this?

I question why one of the manufacturers doesn't pick up on the marketing strategy that the Italians have developed?

Go after the appeal image.
You can do this by cleaning up your current models and adding high end components. Just imagine a CBR1000RR/GSXR1000/ZX10R/R1 that comes from the factory with Ohlins, Brembo, Akra, custom maps, air intake improvements, trick rearsets, and custom CF bodywork everywhere, for about $22K - $35K. Maybe spin off a line like Honda did with cars (Honda/Acura)
Yamaha tried to do this with the R1 LE, but they only took the concept half way home.
You need to go all the way and truely make the bike exclusive and then drive a marketing program that says "If you buy this bike, you are one of the elite people on this planet and everyone at every Starbucks will think that you are some type of when you roll up on this bike."
The Italians have proved that there is a sizable enough market of people with big wallets and small 's to make some pretty good money here. (Flame avoidance: There are also some quality people with financial resources, as well. I know that! :icon_bigg )

Just my opinion.

-Rick

Last edited by atomicmoondog; 12-08-2006 at 07:20 PM.
atomicmoondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any OEM warranty from tire manufacturers? SideVinder650 General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 10-28-2014 12:58 PM
so whay kinda weird enforcement rule is this RACER X Forum Updates & Feedback 25 12-18-2008 08:38 AM
Why are american car manufacturers still doing this? Redux The Circus 37 10-27-2008 11:00 PM
Mother of All Bombshells: Manufacturers Considering Rival Series jodyhudson Taking it to the Track 19 06-30-2008 09:54 AM
one more vid. TWISTED METAL Off Topic 7 06-25-2006 04:38 PM
Advertisement
Old 12-08-2006, 09:29 AM   #2
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Excellent point many people have a small . Poor Bastards! LOL.

Kidding aside I concur and would like to see more tricked out versions of the current bikes(even the 600's) from the factory.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:33 AM   #3
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

There are also some quality people with financial resources, as well. I know that! :icon_bigg )

Just my opinion.

-Rick[/QUOTE]

Hmmm, I don't know I guess that could be true, inheritance I suppose...

Otherwise I think you have a good idea that the Japenese won't do. They tend to be pretty conservative and not take chances.
Wasn't it Jamie James that was building a real high end R-1? It had superbike spec everything and was very nice. I think it cost around 30 large. I don't know how well that worked out for him.
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 09:34 AM   #4
Gigolo Jason

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
BMW R1200C

It's a cultural thing.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:36 AM   #5
TWISTED METAL
Banned

Bike(s):
CBR 1000 AND GSXR 750 TRACK BIKE

User is banned

TWISTED METAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 09:41 AM   #6
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

most who buy Italian can afford to shell out huge bucks. Those who are buying up the bikes are mostly young people who have not even enough money to afford the bike comfortably. I agree, lotsa people today have money burning holes in their pockets but choose to spend it elsewhere, such as 30" wheels on their 1985 cutlass that isn't worth $1000. lotsof people try to make impressions on those they don't even know. I say just live a humble life and life will in turn treat you good.
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 09:46 AM   #7
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Yamaha has done it a couple of times in the past.
The most recent one was the R1 L.E. with Marchesisni wheels and Ohlins suspension.

Unlike say Ducati, where the cost difference between an S4R with std. suspension and an S4RS with full Ohlins etc. is $2000.00.

The LE was $6500 more than a standard R1!
And that was if the dealership would sell it at MSRP. which most were jacking the price even further.

It was more cost effective to buy an anniversary R1, sell the stock components and replace them with the aforementioned items, and still have money left over.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 09:52 AM   #8
atomicmoondog
Self Made Genius

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
Yamaha has done it a couple of times in the past.
The most recent one was the R1 L.E. with Marchesisni wheels and Ohlins suspension.

Unlike say Ducati, where the cost difference between an S4R with std. suspension and an S4RS with full Ohlins etc. is $2000.00.

The LE was $6500 more than a standard R1!
And that was if the dealership would sell it at MSRP. which most were jacking the price even further.

It was more cost effective to buy an anniversary R1, sell the stock components and replace them with the aforementioned items, and still have money left over.
Patrick,
I mentioned the LE in my post. In my opinion, Yamaha didn't go far enough to make the LE truely unique. I'm talking more radical here. Even making a new brand (i.e. Honda/Acura,Toyota/Lexus, etc.) The Italians are making money in this market, and I'm sure the margins are decent. I'm sure that when Honda decided to create Acura, evryone felt that the German Car buying wealthy folks wouldn't go for it. I believe that Acura and Lexas are doing quite well.
-Rick
Old 12-08-2006, 09:53 AM   #9
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

I think it does make more sense to make a sportbike(pretty dang fast stock) affordable so it will be affordable to more people. I mean afterall these are sportbikes that are meant to be pushed hard not a cruiser that you ride more cruiserily(is that a word if not I made it up). Especially on a track when just a wee bit too much throttle twist creates an expensive painful lowside.
gixxerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 09:54 AM   #10
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):

One other thing; To everyone that is saying "buying Italian is expensive / $20-30k". I ask, have you priced a Ducati or Aprilia lately?

A 1098 starts at MSRP $14,995, the full house model, with Ohlins, Brembo, forged Marchesinis, and Data Aquisition is MSRP $19,995, and both have a 2 YEAR warranty!

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Old 12-08-2006, 10:00 AM   #11
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill
I think it does make more sense to make a sportbike(pretty dang fast stock) affordable so it will be affordable to more people. I mean afterall these are sportbikes that are meant to be pushed hard not a cruiser that you ride more cruiserily(is that a word if not I made it up). Especially on a track when just a wee bit too much throttle twist creates an expensive painful lowside.
More affordable?

You're kidding me right?

The level of performance that the current generation of bikes are capable of, and the technology / engineering behind it that you have access to when you buy one, is simply AMAZING!
Not to mention fit and finish, which are at an all time high.

At this stage of the game, the only way to go cheaper would to be either; cut back on the technology, or cut back on the quality of the components.

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Old 12-08-2006, 10:39 AM   #12
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
More affordable?

You're kidding me right?

The level of performance that the current generation of bikes are capable of, and the technology / engineering behind it that you have access to when you buy one, is simply AMAZING!
Not to mention fit and finish, which are at an all time high.

At this stage of the game, the only way to go cheaper would to be either; cut back on the technology, or cut back on the quality of the components.
I think you misunderstood me. I was saying that the current bikes are awesome and affordable. So it wouldn't make any sense to make higher end bikes with tricked out parts when these are so fast and reliable now. Well maybe make the frames a wee bit stronger.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:42 AM   #13
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

The bikes have a huge share of the market. They don't have to do much to move units. The exotic bikes have to go further to move units to compete with the japs.
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 11:00 AM   #14
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to ArturoC Send a message via AIM to ArturoC Send a message via Yahoo to ArturoC Send a message via Skype™ to ArturoC
As far as suspension goes, I believe Honda owns Showa so if I were them, I'd be hesitant to slap on the latest tech from Ohlins. Dunno about the other japanese guys.
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Sponsors: D&D - GoPro - Amsoil
ArturoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 11:01 AM   #15
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Quote:
One other thing; To everyone that is saying "buying Italian is expensive / $20-30k". I ask, have you priced a Ducati or Aprilia lately?

A 1098 starts at MSRP $14,995, the full house model, with Ohlins, Brembo, forged Marchesinis, and Data Aquisition is MSRP $19,995, and both have a 2 YEAR warranty!
Not a bad deal until you pile it up.

Although, this sure gives an advantage in the superstock racing world. :icon_bigg

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 11:06 AM   #16
TLLuvr

Bike(s):
A few of them

I doubt Ducati rakes in half as much anually as honda or even yamaha, suzuki, or kawi. So I doubt they are worried about missing out on "the appeal image".
TLLuvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 11:07 AM   #17
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody
Not a bad deal until you pile it up.
Exactly.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:14 AM   #18
jrock
straight shooter

Bike(s):
2003 Kawi ZX9r Green Machine-sold
1995 Honda CB 1000 Big One

Send a message via Yahoo to jrock
The current crop of *elite bikes* out have more than enough potential.
The addition of high end components on a Gixxer, ZX10,R1 ect,ect. is redundant.
The aftermarket exists for these additions is there if one so wishes. Build your own elite bike and save the cash.
"I get a total charge out of inspiring others to follow their dreams and not to fear change. Embrace it. Realize that money isn't the end-all, be-all. What is important, what really has value, is Time. As motorcyclists, we all face increased risks on the road, and on the track. Do something with your time; don't have a bag full of regrets when the train comes to a stop. "
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 11:15 AM   #19
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock
The current crop of *elite bikes* out have more than enough potential.
The addition of high end components on a Gixxer, ZX10,R1 ect,ect. is redundant.
The aftermarket exists for these additions is there if one so wishes. Build your own elite bike and save the cash.
Not exactly redundant but, the stock stuff will get you pretty far.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 11:16 AM   #20
99eight

Bike(s):
998 and 999

I can't remember the name, but there actually is a company that delivers your choice of bike with any of a long laundry list of upgrades up to a high-end privateer racebike. I think they had a top end GSXR1K fully loaded at $30K. I think they also arrange their own financing, etc...

The manufactures themselves are still a little limited as they are requiremed to deliver bikes that still meet emissions, etc
99eight is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement