MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's.....
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2012, 09:05 PM   #61
TomballD

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
DR350
XR50
TDub-200
XR100-Tarded
1981 XR80

Wish I had the freetime to make this race. Will definetely make a run at all the points next season.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cedar Creek hare scramble 7/20-7/21 CarbonJames Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 12 07-17-2013 04:59 PM
TXORR Cedar Creek race weekend CarbonJames Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 5 10-15-2012 05:07 PM
TXORR Hare Scramble Season Opener Sept. 1&2 dbuck Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 27 09-05-2012 07:52 AM
TXORR Brazos Valley hare scramble 8-18 CarbonJames Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 6 08-14-2012 03:24 PM
Back in the game....next Hare Scramble Feb 4&5 Huntsville, TX dbuck Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 77 02-10-2012 10:45 AM
Advertisement
Old 02-24-2012, 11:53 AM   #62
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
racing starts tomorrow! Technical question for you dirt gurus....

I had to replace the handlebar mounts for my bark busters last night.....the bars on the bike now are fat bars and the clamps barely fit over the bars, however, the support bracket on the bar can't be put back in place b/c it's in conflict with the positioning of the bar mounts....

So, can I run without this "extra support bar" and not be worried about bent bars? If so, now I need to locate a top clamp bar pad in stock somewhere instead of the round one I currently have (which belongs to hotnanas anyhow).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bar support.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	53557   Click image for larger version

Name:	bar clamp.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	53558  
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:11 PM   #63
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Feedback Rating: (4)

, i thought that looked familiar! I was looking for it to put on the boys bike about a month ago.

I do not run a cross bar on any of my fat bars (3 bikes with them). I do not know anything about your bars, but from the motoparts store, my bars did not come with them.

thanks for the reminder to reinstall my bar pad...I forgot to put that back on. i just trimmed 3" off my bars. Hopefully that reduces the number of trees I tag through the course. I always find pics of me with my bark busters rotated upwards.

I can't wait for a little BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAP with all yous going RINGA DING DING DING!

Last edited by hotnanas; 02-24-2012 at 12:13 PM.
hotnanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:21 PM   #64
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

so what is the leaving time for you guys in the morning??? if you're leaving too late, i'm heading out early.
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:35 PM   #65
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

on the road at 9am.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:26 PM   #66
dhdrider

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
08 KTM 300 XC-W

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
racing starts tomorrow! Technical question for you dirt gurus....

I had to replace the handlebar mounts for my bark busters last night.....the bars on the bike now are fat bars and the clamps barely fit over the bars, however, the support bracket on the bar can't be put back in place b/c it's in conflict with the positioning of the bar mounts....

So, can I run without this "extra support bar" and not be worried about bent bars? If so, now I need to locate a top clamp bar pad in stock somewhere instead of the round one I currently have (which belongs to hotnanas anyhow).
Did that set of bars come with the cross piece? As far as I know Renthal fat bars do not require them. Also, you can get Cycra mounts (by themselves) for tapered big bars at Cycle Gear. The clamp itself is not only bigger, but they are specific to the right or left side and clamp on the tapered part of the bar...

2008 KTM 200 XC

Klim Technical Riding Gear
Maine Root Handcrafted Beverages
Retail Resource Group
Primus Real Estate Services
TORCS #301
TSCEC #1114
dhdrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:13 PM   #67
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdrider View Post
Did that set of bars come with the cross piece? As far as I know Renthal fat bars do not require them. Also, you can get Cycra mounts (by themselves) for tapered big bars at Cycle Gear. The clamp itself is not only bigger, but they are specific to the right or left side and clamp on the tapered part of the bar...
The bike came with the fat bars and the cross piece so I wasn't sure if that was added or what.... Considering the oversized Eastons I had on the last bike, a cross bar wasn't needed so I think I'll be okay without it. I did buy the Cycra oversized bar mount kit ($43 bucks for some little machined aluminum pieces , but better than the plastic POS Acerbis mounts that came with the guards), but as you can see they have pretty big gaps in between each side of the mount.

Brad over at CG confirmed he has some Yamaha square bar pads in stock so I should be good to go. Foregoing the thought of changing my rear tire until after this race (due to thorns) and I already have slime in the tubes. Can't wait!
Old 02-24-2012, 02:17 PM   #68
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotnanas View Post
on the road at 9am.
i'll see you guys there, i'm heading up pretty early so that i can get some riding in, i'm really rusty. plan to do the 45 minute practice then rest for the 1 hr.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:20 PM   #69
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonJames View Post
i'll see you guys there, i'm heading up pretty early so that i can get some riding in, i'm really rusty. plan to do the 45 minute practice then rest for the 1 hr.
we'll be there in time to cheer you on shorty....no worries.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:42 PM   #70
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
we'll be there in time to cheer you on shorty....no worries.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:55 PM   #71
CDN_bacon
Eh?

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
VFR800
CRF 250X

well... how was the race?

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True Story" - Barney Stinson
CDN_bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:24 PM   #72
dhdrider

Bike(s):
08 KTM 300 XC-W

Race was good. MUDDY as heck, but fun. It was my first time running A class and my first time to do a 2 hour harescramble. So, all-in-all it was good. I believe I finished 5th in Open A. I told Otis I wanted to run 30A, but he put me in Open A. Oh well. No biggie.

Mud WORE ME OUT. Holy . Really had to remain calm and not too agressive through those parts.

2008 KTM 200 XC

Retail Resource Group
TORCS #301
TSCEC #1114
Old 02-26-2012, 10:34 PM   #73
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

I had a great time. I'm glad I got to start the race and even more glad I made it to the end after having been towed out of the woods with mechanical issues. I'm beat! Good meeting you, sorry we didnt get to chat more.

We need a bath, a few new zip ties, and to rebend some metal that I bent up:
6a8a7919
Old 02-27-2012, 09:00 AM   #74
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

man i had a great time racing saturday, i can't wait to do it again.

I was at a little disadvantage with the mud, i run a Bridgestone Trail wing dual sport rear tire
jhg0g7

and in the mud that we went through, it was worthless basically, no traction at all so i had to overcome that obstacle many times throughout the race.

Some who knew me were trying to have me moved up from open D to open C b/c of my background, although i know that i can't hang with those guys yet, it was also suggested that i be moved down to open E b/c of my tire.

Dean went out for practice on my bike while i was getting his bike worked out and running, he was gone for a long time, some time was spent helping others who were in a pickle on the course, he had a ton of trouble riding through the mud, as soon as he returned to the pits from the course, he said fukk it, i'm done, i'm not racing.

i grabbed the bike from him, geared up and headed off to the starting line.

2r3yzis

2z9hdmb

and for those who think that trail riding is easy, i wore my heart rate monitor for the race just to see how my body reacts, my heart rate, number of calories burned etc. etc. My average heart rate throughout the race was 160 and my max heart rate was 206. my official clock time from the start of the race was 40 minutes, according to my watch and the time that i was given the start flag for my class, it was 36 minutes from start to finish for me, the fastest time (Open A) was 27 minutes.

1zme7wl

For those of you that would like to try it, come on out, it's a great time.

Thanks to Cliff and Dbuck for there help and support on Saturday.

and thanks to Otis and TXORR for the bad course.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:20 AM   #75
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

I can't wait to do it again. I cannot make the next race but I won't miss the Outlaw race in April. It was great seeing you up there, I hope your shop visit, TX RN wedding, and race the next day went well.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:48 AM   #76
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Awesome weekend for me, even though I managed my first ever DNF. Did 2 practice laps Sat afternoon and felt pretty good....was a little timid with all the mud and putting down my feet on an unstable surface, but it really started coming together on the second lap. Was kind of rushing Sunday morning to take the bike for a quick rinse before having trackside support mount up a new rear ($25 on the bike? $15 off the bike? whatadeal!). Started well, I think I was 5th out of 20 or so to the holeshot....picked my way up to 3rd before I lost the front brake down that back straight before the first creek crossing (that was a fun brake slide!). I think it may have been the Good Lord's way of keeping me safe....I totally forgot about the knee once the green flag dropped.

Good to see Dean and James (I can't believe you guys rode that course on a dual sport, nuts I tell ya!), as well as Jason (sorry we didn't get more time to chat, other than hello...my morning was kinda rushed). Hope to see some more faces at the next one....lots of TORCS riders at this one....I hope the mud wasn't too much for them. I heard lots of complaining...wussies. lol
Old 02-27-2012, 09:51 AM   #77
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotnanas View Post
I can't wait to do it again. I cannot make the next race but I won't miss the Outlaw race in April. It was great seeing you up there, I hope your shop visit, TX RN wedding, and race the next day went well.
didn't make the shop b/c my daughter and her dumbass boyfriend decided to park his car behind mine and leave to go somewhere an hour away, so i ended up getting the stuff and working on it at home, the RN wedding sucked goat , just as i suspected it would so i left after eating and headed out to a better location, didn't go racing b/c my friends car was messing up.. i needed the break tho so the weekend overall was great..

now, next weekend is a trackday with LSTD in Cresson and then the next weekend is TXORR in Shiloh... talk about being busy.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:10 AM   #78
dhdrider

Bike(s):
08 KTM 300 XC-W

Results are up! http://www.moto-tally.com/TXORR/Results.aspx

I managed 13th overall. I did notice that one of the telling stats is that most of the A riders ahead of me had way more consistent lap times. Some even had better lap times on laps 4 & 5 than 2 & 3. Mine steadily got worse. It's what i need to work on I guess.

My 1st lap time was right just about even with everyone else ahead of me. Then each lap I dropped time. Interestingly, the order of everyone's last lap is also the place everyone finished in. That's a telling stat for sure.

Anyways, sorry I didn't get a chance to chat more with everyone.

2008 KTM 200 XC

Retail Resource Group
TORCS #301
TSCEC #1114
Old 02-27-2012, 10:31 AM   #79
CDN_bacon
Eh?

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
VFR800
CRF 250X

Great job guys! Glad to hear no one got hurt and fun was had by all! I was looking at the results, man there's a lot of different classes, do they run them all in 1 weekend?

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True Story" - Barney Stinson
CDN_bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:36 AM   #80
dhdrider

Bike(s):
08 KTM 300 XC-W

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN_bacon View Post
Great job guys! Glad to hear no one got hurt and fun was had by all! I was looking at the results, man there's a lot of different classes, do they run them all in 1 weekend?
Yes. Aside from the kiddos' races which are held in the mornings, all the adult races are run at the same time, everyone's on the course at the same time. Each class starts at 1 minute intervals.

AA (pro) - starts at set time
Open A - 1 minute later
30A - 1 minute after Open A and so on and so on
40A
Open B
30B
40B
etc..

Everyone gets pretty spread out that way and it's not really an issue.

2008 KTM 200 XC

Retail Resource Group
TORCS #301
TSCEC #1114

Advertisement