Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2012, 08:29 PM   #1
Samba636

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Yamama R1 2010 Baby
R1 2007,2010 CBR 1000RR (Both sold)
GSXR 600 (sold)
ZX10R 2005 (sold)
ZX636 2005 (sold)

R1 Advice

Just purchased a new (2010) R1. Chuffed with the looks and that engine note is quality but have a few issues withthe bike. Wondered if any r1 riders out there had similar issues or suitable fixes.

Handling, bit of a pig to steer anyone fitted any expensive lighter after market wheels, how much did this improve the ability to flick it back an forth.

Heat,,omg after 40 miles is too hot and its still colder here not looking foward to summer. Ive read on internet a y pipe removing cat and after market pipes work. Is this really worth the expense. Will it have a dramatic effect?

Brakes,,, soft to borderline dangerous cant beleive a sportbike nowaday can have such brakes, dont remeber my 07 r1 being this bad.

Throttle response,,,, low rpm car park manners shocking worst on any bike ive had, throttle response jerky feels like a two stroker, wtf is this about again 07 had ride by wire and didnt feel as bad as this. Seriouly me off anyone have an idea would a power commander help.

Have the feeling this could be an awesome bike just needs some tweeks. If you have good ideas on the throttle response and heat issue please gimme a shout.
Samba636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need a little advice! no fly zone 01 General Discussion (Moto Related) 23 12-09-2011 02:20 PM
Need Serious advice.... 1FastMF Off Topic 49 03-18-2008 11:19 AM
98 r1 with 02 r1 motor will it fit hat750 Performance and Modifications 8 04-05-2007 07:15 PM
R1 vs. 911 vs. Jet fighter cool vid (From R1 forum) sborris General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 02-24-2006 08:13 AM
Advertisement
Old 02-07-2012, 08:37 PM   #2
Chuckster

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
2006 Yamaha R1

Flash the ECU or buy one from jett tuning. This will de-restrict the bike giving full power. Braided brake lines should help with that. Lighter wheels will always quicken the steering but it might be the stabilizer also. Hot seat on an R1 is expected. You can use heat shielding and aftermarket slip on system.
Chuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:39 PM   #3
Chuckster

Bike(s):
2006 Yamaha R1

And watch where you park. New R1s seem to have an issue with heat damage on the instrument cluster.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:39 PM   #4
sunday_rider

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba636 View Post
Just purchased a new (2010) R1. Chuffed with the looks and that engine note is quality but have a few issues withthe bike. Wondered if any r1 riders out there had similar issues or suitable fixes.

Handling, bit of a pig to steer anyone fitted any expensive lighter after market wheels, how much did this improve the ability to flick it back an forth.

Heat,,omg after 40 miles is too hot and its still colder here not looking foward to summer. Ive read on internet a y pipe removing cat and after market pipes work. Is this really worth the expense. Will it have a dramatic effect?

Brakes,,, soft to borderline dangerous cant beleive a sportbike nowaday can have such brakes, dont remeber my 07 r1 being this bad.

Throttle response,,,, low rpm car park manners shocking worst on any bike ive had, throttle response jerky feels like a two stroker, wtf is this about again 07 had ride by wire and didnt feel as bad as this. Seriouly me off anyone have an idea would a power commander help.

Have the feeling this could be an awesome bike just needs some tweeks. If you have good ideas on the throttle response and heat issue please gimme a shout.
The new generation R1 is a porker

The 07 was the best R1 ever!
Old 02-07-2012, 08:41 PM   #5
Samba636

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
Yamama R1 2010 Baby
R1 2007,2010 CBR 1000RR (Both sold)
GSXR 600 (sold)
ZX10R 2005 (sold)
ZX636 2005 (sold)

Flash the ecu or fit jet tunning ecu is this a better option than a Power commander3 and can i expect this to improve the low rpm manners?

Is they jett tuning ecu progamme fine tuneable via a dyno run ?
Samba636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:41 PM   #6
RayBusa
Live Full & Die Empty

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
06 Busa Street & Track
09 Yammy R1 Track
04 Gsx-r 600 in progress

Handling- is not that but but hey i ride a Busa so anything is better then that

Heat- Hells yeah its only going to get worse exhaust wrap from headers to exhaust help abit i have yosh carbon trc exhaust so that help too

Brakes- first things that need to be replaced i absolutely hate them galfer lines w/ ebc pros are a big night n day difference

Throttle responese- on low end is absolute i hate it but i work around it anything above 4k and it acts awhole lot better but this is my .2 pesos I hope this info helps you out.
RayBusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:55 PM   #7
Chuckster

Bike(s):
2006 Yamaha R1

I believe the Jett ECU is programmable but it's not as simple as a PC5. A flashed ECU just allows for full power like the Euro model. Go to the R1 forum and look into more options. It's not a cheap option. You could always look into the YEC race products that they sell through the Graves Yamaha site. The bike has loads of potential but is hampered by emmission restrictions and . Skies the limit when you starts with the mods.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:56 PM   #8
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Take the bike To motorcycles unlimited and get the susp. Setup for you

Make sure the tire press. Is correct
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:07 PM   #9
Tony1K
CMRA #721

Feedback Rating: (20)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 Aprilia RSV4 Factory Race Bike
2011 YZ450F Dirt
2015 Honda Grom

I bought an 09 r1 last year and sold it 5 months later. If you've had any other liter bike you will never be satisfied with it. I had graves system on it with the y pipe, helped a little with the heat but it was still hot. The bike also overheated a couple times on hot Sunday rides. I had a pc-v and k&n filter and it only dynoed at 149. Hope you enjoy yours more than I did.
Tony1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:39 PM   #10
Chuckster

Bike(s):
2006 Yamaha R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1K View Post
I bought an 09 r1 last year and sold it 5 months later. If you've had any other liter bike you will never be satisfied with it. I had graves system on it with the y pipe, helped a little with the heat but it was still hot. The bike also overheated a couple times on hot Sunday rides. I had a pc-v and k&n filter and it only dynoed at 149. Hope you enjoy yours more than I did.

149hp is kinda low. I'd think something wasn't done right or there were other problems holding it back. , according to Sport Rider magazine, my '06 had at least 154hp stock.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:40 PM   #11
Wawazat?!
Chuck my Norris

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
'09 Aprilia RS125
'05 Honda "Fiddy"
'09 R1 (sold)
'07 gixxer 750 (RIP)

Ok, I have yet to hear my solutions.

Handling: lighter wheels, yes. Not much more there. Welcome to litre bikes...

Heat: Y-pipe is a must! Other than that it's just a matter of heat shielding and header wrap.

Brakes: I went with Brembo calipers and steel braided lines as well as Galfer rotors. You don't necessarily have to go that far... Some good sintered pads and braided lines will get you pretty close though.

Throttle response: Remember your 3 mode settings. Play around with those. Another thing I did was sprockets. This R1 LOVES it when you go down a tooth front AND rear. Something different than the norm, but it works. The ECU was icing on the cake after all that.

Sent from my HTC Evo using Tapatalk
Wawazat?! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:42 PM   #12
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Check the r1 forums, but a cheaper solution may be raising the rear ride height or lowering the front a tiny bit.

Quote:
Helps, but all undertail exhaust R1's are -burners. Didn't your '07 do the same?

Quote:
Braided stainless lines oughta solve that, but try bleeding them first. In fact, just bleed the master.

Quote:
Spend the $550 to get the jett tuning ECU. It'll give you back the 10hp you're down vs a euro bike, and improves throttle response and compression braking significantly.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:44 PM   #13
Chuckster

Bike(s):
2006 Yamaha R1

Didn't even think about changing gearing. Don't forget the speedo healer with that.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:17 PM   #14
Wawazat?!
Chuck my Norris

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
'09 Aprilia RS125
'05 Honda "Fiddy"
'09 R1 (sold)
'07 gixxer 750 (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckster View Post
Didn't even think about changing gearing. Don't forget the speedo healer with that.
I didn't even consider that. I'm track only and tape over the speedo. Point for you, sir.

Sent from my HTC Evo using Tapatalk
Wawazat?! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:37 PM   #15
wakeupluis

Bike(s):
08 Raven R1

Mine is an 08 R1 but the heat was unbearable even on cold nights. my legs and ankles were so hot. I could barely ride it. I put an Akro Y pipe and got ride of the 2 cats. and gutted the mufflers and made some home-made race baffles. And The heat totally went away. It is like a different bike as far as heat. Plus it sounds way better. As far as handling. I have not rode a newer model but definetly check the tire pressure. I can tell if my tire pressure is low just on how it handles. Huge difference. Good Luck and yes go the r1-forum.com
wakeupluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:11 AM   #16
Lucar

Member Garage

Wow.... im astonished. Don't have any of this issues with my bike, further more it dynoed at 158. Turning is a lil' of a work out compared to others, but im on a motorcycle anyway (IMO)
My seat got hot during the summer, but the winter (supposedly winter) felt good, I went on very long rides with a lot of the guys on here, and never felt the heat intolerable .. my .02
People seen the bee in action, I guess we all don't have the same luck. Only mods I've done is the crank chain slack adjuster (it used to knock at cold start ups) it would make me grind my teeth, and a k&n filter.
One last thing... rev it a bit at take off.. or it feels like a twin trying to come out of 0 mph
Lucar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:50 AM   #17
Renzo
I do not consent

Feedback Rating: (13)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
r6

Member Garage

Shorten the swingarm
Old 02-08-2012, 04:17 AM   #18
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

Handling: may be tire, dampener or chassis setup. All simple fixes.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:22 AM   #19
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

, I'm glad I ride a CBR
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:42 AM   #20
mammothmc

Handling:

You could buy a 3k carbon fiber rim..........

Or just check your air pressure in the front tire
mammothmc is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement