MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Information > Events, Meets and Rides
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2013, 05:39 PM   #61
itsmebanky

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Huffy

another noob perspective: about 1 month after riding i joined frank's SMR as my first group ride not knowing what to expect at all. a couple of minutes in i was confused and disorganized, even if the group wasnt (obvious due to my first time). immediately i began to think i made a mistake, not taking serious the words "moderate pace" in the thread. luckily, the sweeper that day was really cool and patient with me and i was able to finish the day with no missteps and not holding the group back too bad (we were consistently last to the rest stops but im not sure if this made an immediate impact on the group).

let me just say that after that day, EVERYTHING slowed down for me. just that one SMR taught me so much and made me feel so much more comfortable riding in general. i was hooked after that. i was also more hyper aware every time i got on that bike. im super appreciative to frank for not kicking me out and to adam for sticking with me. i've since done another SMR and will continue to do so every opportunity i can.

i learned a lot that day: i picked up hand signs (learned from context), formation, pace, and the general idea of group riding. it also helped put group rides into perspective for me and made me feel more comfortable on my bike. unfortunately we had someone go down that day and i saw how we all came together to help do all we can for him. i was able to experience all of it and i am absolutely grateful for it.

with all that said, should i have gone? probably not. i should have been in a noob ride first. an SMR as my frist ride is probably a mistake but i am SO glad i went. it helped slow the game down for me and helped me get more comfortable riding.

anyway, im looking forward to my noob ride on sunday!
itsmebanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Southeast meet to ride to 2/22/2014 noob ride in the cpuntry zx6r-25580 Events, Meets and Rides 17 02-23-2014 02:16 AM
Sunday noob/noob+/noob++ ride to Yankee TMAX Events, Meets and Rides 70 10-06-2013 07:36 PM
**** SMR (Sunday Morning Ride 12/30) NOOB Ride Lucar Events, Meets and Rides 69 01-05-2013 09:33 PM
i FINALLY setup my bike so i can jam while i ride... SBK Pilot General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 10-03-2011 10:29 AM
Saturday, July 3rd - NOOB & Non-Noob Ride to F-ville 99 Chris Events, Meets and Rides 67 07-02-2010 07:21 PM
Advertisement
Old 02-27-2013, 05:54 PM   #62
Chris_5.0
HalfFast

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
1999 zx-9r
2005 gsxr 600
xr50r speed demond

HOW TO: Setup and Lead a Noob Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by 392 View Post
Never said YOU were teaching someone to ride you need more time before you should even consider that.
That is why i stated WE and also stated ( I know i am no were near qualified to show someone.)

And what is with everyone capitalizing a single word in the sentence. It feels very HIPSTER to me lol
Old 02-27-2013, 06:05 PM   #63
ninenine
cmra expert

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2015yzf-r6 A-bike
2012yzf-r6 B-bike

That's my style FOOL!
CMRA#99
WERA#99
Sponsors:HoPD,P1 Racing,SCRC,Pirelli,Arai,BD Racing,Vesrah,Vortex,VP Race Fuels,Optimal Racing,Motul
ninenine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:25 PM   #64
Chris_5.0
HalfFast

Bike(s):
1999 zx-9r
2005 gsxr 600
xr50r speed demond

Quote:
That's my style FOOL!
A HIPSTER would say that

Old 02-27-2013, 07:26 PM   #65
ninenine
cmra expert

Bike(s):
2015yzf-r6 A-bike
2012yzf-r6 B-bike

Ima jab, stab, move n groove, and make Chris5.0 look like a dam FOOL!

Hip enough?
CMRA#99
WERA#99
Sponsors:HoPD,P1 Racing,SCRC,Pirelli,Arai,BD Racing,Vesrah,Vortex,VP Race Fuels,Optimal Racing,Motul
ninenine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:29 PM   #66
Chris_5.0
HalfFast

Bike(s):
1999 zx-9r
2005 gsxr 600
xr50r speed demond

Quote:
Ima jab, stab, move n groove, and make Chris5.0 look like a dam FOOL!

Hip enough?
Yup HIPSTER enough lol
Old 02-28-2013, 02:26 AM   #67
dudewhrsmybike

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R ABS

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to dudewhrsmybike
I guess I misunderstood the point of a noob ride. I would think there would be some sort of teaching besides the basic things that you learn in the MSF course.

Continue to do them and hopefully it makes good practice for the new riders. I encourage all the new riders to just get out to the track if you REALLY want to learn how to ride. It's the safest way.

"If I had to do it all over again, I would have gladly done a trackday sooner than I did. Ride in a controlled environment with structured teaching, tech inspection, and all the advice you would need at your fingertips. Can't go wrong. Rather have 2+ lanes wide to ride in and a safe runoff path. No room for error on the street. Not a safe place to learn, but practical for most."

Quote:
you say this, but yet you had been out of riding for a long time. Came back and didn't start a gradual way on street or take it to the track. You just went out and went for it on the the street. Even though you have been to the track and understand the value. Yet by your own claim you say you don't want to take your zx10 out there. Y???

Makes no sense the way you are talking about track. That should have been your first go to place coming from a wreck and not riding from a long time. So how do you expect others to have the same mentality??
Dude, I didn't ride for 2 years. That is not a long time. It's not like a had to re-teach myself, that is programmed in my brain. I got back on and didn't skip a beat. Ask BYRDMAN how slow I was going on our Hill Country trip just a few weeks after I had my new bike...on stock BT-016's no less.

There are a few reasons why my new ZX-10R has not seen the track yet and I figured you have heard them all by now.

BTW, I did not come from a wreck, and start riding again. I haven't done a trackday since my wreck. I rode 9 months after my track crash. Stopped riding because I had issues with my ZX-10R, but that's a story for another day

It's GREEN, it's FAST, and it says Ninja on it
dudewhrsmybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:28 AM   #68
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Feedback Rating: (17)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

Keep this thread on topic please.
This is not a street vs track vs "instructors" debate. There's 100 threads of that already.

Noob rides are just about being comfortable in groups and on your bike, not technique, body position, etc.
If someone is that comfortable, then I will be the first to recommend a TD.

It is not one ounce more complicated. Move on...
Old 02-28-2013, 01:12 PM   #69
NewRider
Riding, Eating & Partying

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
Retrospec Fixie (Hipster ride)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudewhrsmybike View Post
I guess I misunderstood the point of a noob ride. I would think there would be some sort of teaching besides the basic things that you learn in the MSF course.

Continue to do them and hopefully it makes good practice for the new riders. I encourage all the new riders to just get out to the track if you REALLY want to learn how to ride. It's the safest way.

"If I had to do it all over again, I would have gladly done a trackday sooner than I did. Ride in a controlled environment with structured teaching, tech inspection, and all the advice you would need at your fingertips. Can't go wrong. Rather have 2+ lanes wide to ride in and a safe runoff path. No room for error on the street. Not a safe place to learn, but practical for most."

Dude, I didn't ride for 2 years. That is not a long time. It's not like a had to re-teach myself, that is programmed in my brain. I got back on and didn't skip a beat. Ask BYRDMAN how slow I was going on our Hill Country trip just a few weeks after I had my new bike...on stock BT-016's no less.

There are a few reasons why my new ZX-10R has not seen the track yet and I figured you have heard them all by now.

BTW, I did not come from a wreck, and start riding again. I haven't done a trackday since my wreck. I rode 9 months after my track crash. Stopped riding because I had issues with my ZX-10R, but that's a story for another day
Well, I was just pointing out that you were commenting on something you really didn't know much about and in fact said you disagree with it.

Then pushing something you yourself aren't really trying to do (track), even after having a free trackday and private instruction from Alonzo.

But you have your reservations about taking your shiny new bike to the track, don't you think other people would too?

Alls I'm saying...

HALFFAST GROUP
NewRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:25 PM   #70
Lucar

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_5.0 View Post
That is why i stated WE and also stated ( I know i am no were near qualified to show someone.)

And what is with everyone capitalizing a single word in the sentence. It feels very HIPSTER to me lol
Chris you're one of mines, you're good in my book man

Im planning on doing Noob rides this year like a .
ivan took me on my first group ride and even though he had to perk up to the Leos, it was a blast.
now I want to give back
senator's method is great. I'm copying it

Last edited by Lucar; 02-28-2013 at 01:30 PM.
Lucar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:45 PM   #71
dudewhrsmybike

Bike(s):
2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R ABS

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRider View Post
Well, I was just pointing out that you were commenting on something you really didn't know much about and in fact said you disagree with it.

Then pushing something you yourself aren't really trying to do (track), even after having a free trackday and private instruction from Alonzo.

But you have your reservations about taking your shiny new bike to the track, don't you think other people would too?

Alls I'm saying...
Yes. I misunderstood what is being taught on a noob ride. I was against the teaching of body position and other things that noobs probably aren't even ready to be concentrating on yet.

You're killin me bro. You assume a lot of stuff about me. We will discuss it over beers sometime so it makes sense to you.

Anyways, as far as wadding up your bike on the track....the risk of crashing is much greater for someone like myself in Level 3 trying to find the limits vs someone learning and practicing the basics there first few TD's

Old 02-28-2013, 01:48 PM   #72
Lucar

Member Garage

I know people that have dropped their BMW - ducats and others on the first track day ever
Old 02-28-2013, 02:05 PM   #73
NewRider

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudewhrsmybike View Post
Yes. I misunderstood what is being taught on a noob ride. I was against the teaching of body position and other things that noobs probably aren't even ready to be concentrating on yet.

You're killin me bro. You assume a lot of stuff about me. We will discuss it over beers sometime so it makes sense to you.

Anyways, as far as wadding up your bike on the track....the risk of crashing is much greater for someone like myself in Level 3 trying to find the limits vs someone learning and practicing the basics there first few TD's
I just love with you, Gary.

Don't ban me, bro!

HALFFAST GROUP
Old 02-28-2013, 02:05 PM   #74
sunday_rider

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):

I think setting up a noob ride is great for the community and i would have loved to join and help anyway i can, too bad this ride was posted 2 days after i posted my regular SMR.

Everyone has their own style of setting up a noob ride all with good intentions, usually the smaller the group the better that way you can have a good focus on what needs to be worked on and just make little improvements at a time by repetition without having a large group waiting on you and making you feel that you are holding them up.

The other thing that i would pay special attention to is not so much what to teach the noobs but instead how not to pass our bad habits to them! I think information overload is also unproductive and that is why all learning processes needs to be split in different sessions letting the noobs absorb the information one practice day at a time.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:08 PM   #75
NewRider

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucar View Post
I know people that have dropped their BMW - ducats and others on the first track day ever
And that's just bounce305

HALFFAST GROUP
Old 02-28-2013, 02:09 PM   #76
dudewhrsmybike

Bike(s):
2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R ABS

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRider View Post
I just love with you, Gary.

Don't ban me, bro!
you know it's all good bro

Old 02-28-2013, 02:21 PM   #77
Chris_5.0
HalfFast

Bike(s):
1999 zx-9r
2005 gsxr 600
xr50r speed demond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucar View Post
I know someone that crashed in a parade lap
Old 02-28-2013, 02:21 PM   #78
sunday_rider

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):

In all fairness and setting the track vs street debate aside, this is a noob ride designed to help noobs ride better on the street so they can eventually feel more comfortable about doing a track day down the road!

When it comes to street riding i think Gary has a lot to offer, he might have a different point of view on how to set up a noob ride but when it comes to the actual riding..... i think by skills and knowledge, he will jump right to the top of the list!

I quite agree with Gary that body positioning, etc is not the top priority for noob riders, and i am glad that will not be part of the curriculum because we have all laughed at one point or another when we see a rider cornering at posted speed limit and trying too hard on his body position. I also agree with the objective of this ride, which is to make noob riders feel more comfortable riding in a group setting, specially for those that have never ridden in a large group. Somehow the track factor got in the mix and derailed the whole thread.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:50 PM   #79
J.J. McQuade
DORC MEMBER

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2008 Ducati Multi-Strada 1100S
1993 Ducati 900SS (Designated Sweeper)
Acura NSX-T Type R

Member Garage

Very good write up and pretty much on par with every organized "noob" ride I have ever been on. I think the main goal in setting parameters for noob rides is to reduce risk. In the end though; it all comes down to the rider and their machine. All the instruction and guidance in the world can't help them in that moment of truth. Hopefully, if and when that time comes they have soaked up enough knowledge and experience to get them through it. I'm not going to dwell on the track vs. street debate too much; because in the end there is no right answer. The common thread that binds us all here is being on 2 wheels! Do you get your rocks off on the track or on the street, or both! That is the only question you need to answer.
J.J. McQuade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:35 PM   #80
Lucar

Member Garage

KABOOM BABY

Some one frame this.. spoken before me by all means

Quote:
In all fairness and setting the track vs street debate aside, this is a noob ride designed to help noobs ride better on the street so they can eventually feel more comfortable about doing a track day down the road!

I quite agree that body positioning, etc is not the top priority for noob riders, and i am glad that will not be part of the curriculum because we have all laughed at one point or another when we see a rider cornering at posted speed limit and trying too hard on his body position. I also agree with the objective of this ride, which is to make noob riders feel more comfortable riding in a group setting, specially for those that have never ridden in a large group. Somehow the track factor got in the mix and derailed the whole thread.

Last edited by Lucar; 02-28-2013 at 04:37 PM.

Advertisement