MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Information > Events, Meets and Rides
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2012, 09:52 AM   #41
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

I think there are two distinct types of "noob" rides

The noob ride for those new to groups or the roads

The noob ride for those new to riding and twisties, where there needs to be more teachers, breaks and interaction.

For the dedicated noob to curves type, you need equal numbers of noobs and helpers, no second groups for faster peeps, shorter routes etc.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Southeast meet to ride to 2/22/2014 noob ride in the cpuntry zx6r-25580 Events, Meets and Rides 17 02-23-2014 02:16 AM
Sunday noob/noob+/noob++ ride to Yankee TMAX Events, Meets and Rides 70 10-06-2013 07:36 PM
**** SMR (Sunday Morning Ride 12/30) NOOB Ride Lucar Events, Meets and Rides 69 01-05-2013 09:33 PM
i FINALLY setup my bike so i can jam while i ride... SBK Pilot General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 10-03-2011 10:29 AM
Saturday, July 3rd - NOOB & Non-Noob Ride to F-ville 99 Chris Events, Meets and Rides 67 07-02-2010 07:21 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-10-2012, 12:15 PM   #42
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Feedback Rating: (17)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

I'm not going to update the OP, because I want the date intact of my edits.

To greater clarify "moderate" and adjectives like this please use this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
LOL!

We have "accepted" descriptions of pace for rides.... no reason to re-invent the wheel..

noob/relaxed: SL on the straights, yellow posted in corners depending on group
moderate: SL, maybe 10-15+ on straights and curves
brisk: + on the straights, up to double the yellow sign into curves
spirited: race track on the street basically

These have been in place on this forum since before it began this version back in 05.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:18 PM   #43
OldSchool

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
yamaha
honda
can am
sears allstate
Wal-Mart 10 speed

Noob, intermediate, spirited, rossi
OldSchool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:22 PM   #44
OldSchool

Bike(s):
yamaha
honda
can am
sears allstate
Wal-Mart 10 speed

Noob= posted speed limits to + 5mph over

Intermediate = 10-30mph over psl

Spirited= 30mph to double psl

Rossi= as fast as possible

?

This should be clarified too cause some people are between spirited and noob.
OldSchool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:27 PM   #45
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchool View Post
Noob= posted speed limits to + 5mph over

Intermediate = 10-30mph over psl

Spirited= 30mph to double psl

Rossi= as fast as possible

?

This should be clarified too cause some people are between spirited and noob.
noob/relaxed: SL on the straights, yellow posted in corners depending on group
moderate: SL, maybe 10-15+ on straights and curves
brisk: + on the straights, up to double the yellow sign into curves
spirited: race track on the street basically
Old 08-14-2012, 08:14 AM   #46
Blanco
BORC O.G.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2013 ZX10R & 09 ZX-14
'09 R1 (homeboy shopping network donation)
'07 ZX14 (sold)
'01 FZ1 (sold)
ZRX1100 (sold)

**Bump**
I thought this was a sticky candidate.
Blanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:48 PM   #47
dudewhrsmybike

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R ABS

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to dudewhrsmybike
HOW TO: Setup and Lead a Noob Ride

Seems like a good approach to get people out on some of the backroads.

How much they will actually learn, I'm not sure. What is even being taught? Just follow and experience the ride? The experience will obviously count for something, but how many times will one have to keep doing this to really start improving? Is it safe for people to make the transistion from noob pace to moderate on the street? Is it safe to transistion from moderate to spirited? Is it safe to tell people backroads riding techniques? Will it be information overload? These are just some concerns that I have on the subject.

If I had to do it all over again, I would have gladly done a trackday sooner than I did. Ride in a controlled environment with structured teaching, tech inspection, and all the advice you would need at your fingertips. Can't go wrong. Rather have 2+ lanes wide to ride in and a safe runoff path. No room for error on the street. Not a safe place to learn, but practical for most.

I encourage all new riders to attend a trackday. You can get first time discounts, free leather rental for first timers, and someone here would probably even give you a ride out there. All the resources are there.

It's GREEN, it's FAST, and it says Ninja on it
dudewhrsmybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:19 PM   #48
Racerxxx
CMRA #92

Feedback Rating: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudewhrsmybike View Post

How much they will actually learn, I'm not sure. What is even being taught? Just follow and experience the ride? The experience will obviously count for something, but how many times will one have to keep doing this to really start improving? Is it safe for people to make the transistion from noob pace to moderate on the street? Is it safe to transistion from moderate to spirited? Is it safe to tell people backroads riding techniques? Will it be information overload? These are just some concerns that I have on the subject.

If I had to do it all over again, I would have gladly done a trackday sooner than I did. Ride in a controlled environment with structured teaching, tech inspection, and all the advice you would need at your fingertips. Can't go wrong. Rather have 2+ lanes wide to ride in and a safe runoff path. No room for error on the street. Not a safe place to learn, but practical for most.

I encourage all new riders to attend a trackday. You can get first time discounts, free leather rental for first timers, and someone here would probably even give you a ride out there. All the resources are there.
Awesome post my man!
Racerxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:19 PM   #49
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

Quote:

100% agree. Noob rides are for getting riders more comfortable and showing how to ride in groups. Hand signs, proper spacing, lane choice...etc...

You will learn more in one trackday than you will 6 months of riding for technique.

Noob rides are for getting comfortable riding a bike in groups.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:23 PM   #50
NewRider
Riding, Eating & Partying

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
Retrospec Fixie (Hipster ride)

Gonna have to break this down....
Quote:
it is a good approach, tried and true. This is how I started running the Noob rides and have not had anyone gone down or close calls.

How much they will actually learn, I'm not sure.
Depends on the person...
What is even being taught?
Group riding rules and also consistency in riding. Basic things that people need to be reminded of, like looking through turns and not to target fixate.
Just follow and experience the ride?
Pretty much, yes. If there is enough help as far as experienced riders we try to spread them out through the group so that the moons have more than just a leader experienced to follow.

The experience will obviously count for something, but how many times will one have to keep doing this to really start improving?
I don't know, depends on the rider. There was a kid a while back that caught on really good on his 250. Went on few more rides and was doing great with Bevo. He eventually moved out of state. Last he posted he had gotten himself a 1000rr and was killing backroads and doing trackdays. Then there was another guy on that ride that just flat out left the way he came...I stayed in the back with him the entire time coming back
Is it safe for people to make the transistion from noob pace to moderate on the street?
why not, people do it all the time without any advice or instructions. Just seat time. Not to say this is a way to graduate, but better than no advice at all. No?
Is it safe to transistion from moderate to spirited?
Again, people do it all the time regardless. Ask the route gang or the smr guys that have never done trackdays just seat time. Some went to ditches, some didn't.

Is it safe to tell people backroads riding techniques?
don't get this question...
Will it be information overload?
I try to keep it simple stupid.
These are just some concerns that I have on the subject.

you say this, but yet you had been out of riding for a long time. Came back and didn't start a gradual way on street or take it to the track. You just went out and went for it on the the street. Even though you have been to the track and understand the value. Yet by your own claim you say you don't want to take your zx10 out there. Y???

Makes no sense the way you are talking about track. That should have been your first go to place coming from a wreck and not riding from a long time. So how do you expect others to have the same mentality??

In an ideal world, I agree with this. I try my best to encourage ppl to go to the track, for some it just isn't in the cards. So I do the next thing and try to pass along what I have learned and others have taught me. On the street and on the track..

Does that sorta answer it?

HALFFAST GROUP
NewRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:28 PM   #51
TMAX
Forever MODERATE

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
TMAX (Retired in California)
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6

Noob rides are also for people who just like to cruise. I don't understand why that is so difficult for people.

Most people on this forum i would assess prefer a noob/cruise over a Rossi ride.
TMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:30 PM   #52
Chris_5.0
HalfFast

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
1999 zx-9r
2005 gsxr 600
xr50r speed demond

A noob ride is better than no noob ride. It is better then going on a ride and trying to keep up with their friends.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:48 PM   #53
greaselightnin

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
03 gsxr 600(stolen)
honda xr 100 (sold)
07 cbr 1000

Member Garage

So what are the hand signs? Im assuming this is taught on your first trackday. Im def. A noob in every aspect even tho I been riding off and on the last 2 and a half yrs. But eventually I will def. Make a trackday. When it comes to ss riding im like a sponge and would greatly profit from any teaching. But all the info ive read so far about the rides is VERY informative. Thank yall for caring about noobs and wanting to make everyone a good rider.

Last edited by greaselightnin; 02-27-2013 at 03:50 PM.
greaselightnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:51 PM   #54
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greaselightnin View Post
So what are the hand signs? Im assuming this is taught on your first trackday. Im def. A noob in every aspect even tho I been riding off and on the last 2 and a half yrs. But eventually I will def. Make a trackday. When it comes to ss riding im like a sponge and would greatly profit from any teaching. But all the info ive read so far about the rides is VERY informative. Thank yall for caring about noobs and wanting to make everyone a good rider.
Here's an example of most of the ones I use:
(Edit: These are NOT TD handsigns, these are for group riding)
Universal motorcycle Hand Signal

Last edited by Senator; 02-27-2013 at 03:57 PM.
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:55 PM   #55
EpikMuffin

Bike(s):
R6
Ninja 250

As a noob, the main reason that I've been going to those noob rides is to learn some new, safe, and exciting routes. Most of the fun to me are being out there, enjoying the weather, nice views along the ride, and making new friends.

How much or did I even learn any thing? Heck yeah, and it depends on each person. At least, I learned about the new route, how be be safe in a group ride.

How long would this take to improve? It depends, but practice makes perfect. At the end of each ride, I knew I gain some experience and had some fun. I have years to come, so no need to rush, as long as I ride safe.

Is it safe for people to make the transistion from noob pace to moderate on the street? Is it safe to transistion from moderate to spirited? - Noob pace is defined as PSL + ~5 MPH or so. Now, why would I want to go 50+mph over the PSL on the street. Once people get comfortable with their bike they can ride it faster.... to rossi level, but it's never safe even for an experience rider.

Is it safe to tell people backroads riding techniques? - depends what you try to teach them.

Should I do some trackday so I can start to do spirited ride on the street? saw alot of ppl doing it without a trackday

I want to do some track ride, just not now, maybe in a year or two. For now, I enjoy riding the noob pace and going to the noob ride. Glad yall have those rides every weekend
EpikMuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:08 PM   #56
Rykoson
Brawp Brawp!

Bike(s):
www.shortfilmproductions.org
2009 YZF-R6-Rest in Peace
2011 ZX-6R Kawasaki Ninja-Track/Street

Member Garage

As far as noob rides.. I do know some instructors that go to offer more credible advice... Each rider has their own particular desire to improve. So if we give them a place to go we can at least offer some direction and a starting point. No not everyone is qualified. This reminds me if "twist if the wrist II". Everyone has a preference. Each person should try a TD or street ride and learn for themselves instead of reading the interwebz... At least on a noob ride there is a place for people to get their feet wet.. Better someplace then by themselves.
STREET SCHOLARS PRODUCTIONS-Hookit
Rykoson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:14 PM   #57
ninenine
cmra expert

Bike(s):
2015yzf-r6 A-bike
2012yzf-r6 B-bike

To each his own. However I agree with Gary. Most the people that are attempting to "teach" these people how to ride are not qualified. Doing 3 or 4 td's doesn't make someone qualified to teach.

If someone is new to riding..... Do 1 td. If you can't afford it send me a pm and ill get you there.

If you still aren't able to go and rather ride the street that is fine. Just ride within your limits and don't push yourself. Ride your ride.
CMRA#99
WERA#99
Sponsors:HoPD,P1 Racing,SCRC,Pirelli,Arai,BD Racing,Vesrah,Vortex,VP Race Fuels,Optimal Racing,Motul
ninenine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:28 PM   #58
EpikMuffin

Bike(s):
R6
Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by 392 View Post
To each his own. However I agree with Gary. Most the people that are attempting to "teach" these people how to ride are not qualified. Doing 3 or 4 td's doesn't make someone qualified to teach.

If someone is new to riding..... Do 1 td. If you can't afford it send me a pm and ill get you there.

If you still aren't able to go and rather ride the street that is fine. Just ride within your limits and don't push yourself. Ride your ride.
EpikMuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:29 PM   #59
Chris_5.0
HalfFast

Bike(s):
1999 zx-9r
2005 gsxr 600
xr50r speed demond

Why do people keep thinking we are teaching them to ride. I know i am no were near qualified to show someone.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:39 PM   #60
ninenine
cmra expert

Bike(s):
2015yzf-r6 A-bike
2012yzf-r6 B-bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_5.0 View Post
Why do people keep thinking we are teaching them to ride. I know i am no were near qualified to show someone.
Never said YOU were teaching someone to ride you need more time before you should even consider that.
CMRA#99
WERA#99
Sponsors:HoPD,P1 Racing,SCRC,Pirelli,Arai,BD Racing,Vesrah,Vortex,VP Race Fuels,Optimal Racing,Motul
ninenine is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement