MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2012, 05:55 PM   #1
Snow
Can I kick it?

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Sick 7-5

Legal/Insurance advice:

I have been trying to sell the Daytona 675 and move on to tracking cars. I've had the 675 up for sale here for a bit and then last week we had a nasty storm here in Huntsville, which ended up literally blowing my bike over.

It ended up with some minor damage, but I decided to shell out my $250 deductible, go ahead and claim it, and send it to Motorcycles Unlimited for the repairs. Turns out it was a good idea, after listening to all the stuff Motorcycles Unlimited would be replacing.

The day it was blown over, it had only been laying on its side for a matter of 2-4 minutes since we had just been at the car to get umbrellas and then turned around before we had walked out of the apartment complex. By the time I got back, I saw the bike laying down, and got it back up.

I called the insurance company and they asked if it started, and I told them I was not sure since I just picked it up and got out of the rain (it was still storming). So then the next day I went outside with my girlfriend and made it sure it would start. It fired up instantly no problem. Got a call from State Farm claims and told them that it was indeed starting fine.

Since the mirror was broken, I asked them if they could tow it from Huntsville to Motorcycles Unlimited on 1960, and they said no problem. Within a few hours, the tow truck driver arrived, and we loaded the bike. I offered to drive it up, but he said he could simply just push it up. So, we pushed it up and he started strapping, while telling me stories of his Father who used to flat track race..."getting all sorts of " n such.... telling me about how his father had just dumped his mistress since she wanted more money... and she was just a to him ...and half the population had one of those. Real stand-up guy for sure.

I explain to him that there's no need to ratchet it so far down, but he explains to me that he's been towing bikes for many years and knows what he is doing. The kickstand is down as he ratchets, and it gets low enough to start bending the kickstand. I tell him to stop and we get that fixed, but the straps attached to the rearsets are also bending the rearsets.

By the time the guy was done ratcheting, the front end was about 1 or 2 inches from the wheel fairing. It was crazy low...but he "knew what he was doing" apparently.

I mentioned that I was actually trying to sell the thing and was bummed about having to claim it, and he said he's actually in the market for a bike, and might also know some others too. I think there was mention of maybe his brother.

Some more talk about how his dad was a B.A. flattrack racer and how chicks are just , he gets on his way.

Motorcycles Unlimited gets the bike and does a quick visual and calls me with all the things they are going to replace. A bit later on, they call me to tell me the bike is not starting. At this point, I am shocked. I tell them it started right up no problem, and has never given me startup issues. I also have a perm voltmeter which reads the battery when the bike is on and the brights are off... so I knew the charging system and battery were not to blame.

I go ahead and give Motorcycles Unlimited 30 minutes of "checkout" time, thinking it must be some small thing. They end up calling me back to tell me they didn't find anything, and still needed to check compression. So I tell them to go ahead with that. Patrick calls me back to tell me my compression is low due to bent valves.

So I ask how that occurs, and he tells me due to a lot of high revving/red lining. I tell him that I am not sure what happened with the first 600 miles of the bike, but I don't do any of that myself, and he stops me there to tell me that the damage that occurred was recent.

He tells me that, under the current conditions, there is no way the bike could start, so this is something that would have occurred after I started it myself to make sure it started after the tip over.

So, I ask if he is suggesting it was possibly the tow truck driver, and it seems to be that is what he was alluding to. Obviously, for legal reasons, he cannot just come out and say it was him... but I confirmed with him that the bike would never start... and the only cause of such damage is the harsh abuse of high revving/red lining.

SO... WTF.

OBVIOUSLY, Motorcycles Unlimited did not do this. I am sure they are kinda happy with the insurance claims. The problem is, how can I prove that I am not the person who did such a thing?

The tow truck driver expressed interest in the bike, and he also accidentally called me immediately when he left my complex when he meant to call someone else. So, I have a precise leaving time, and Motorcycles Unlimited said he got there ~closing. They don't have a precise time, but closing is 6:30 there.

I am not positive which number was his, but I believe his leaving time to be 4:39pm. Phone number will have to be confirmed, but I think this is his number. I've already logged all the phone calls in case I do have the wrong one as his.

So, there is the time it took him to get to Motorcycles Unlimited, his expressed interest in the bike, and then the claim. I personally feel like if I was trying to screw statefarm, I wouldn't have told them the bike worked if it didn't... so I could attempt to claim the unworking motor on the fall.

Also, there are plenty of people who can attest to my riding habits here. I've lead a decent # of rides and I'd call myself a pretty conservative rider. Patrick has also seen my bikes, and can probably attest that my largest abuse of bikes is not cleaning the chain enough...

I am also not sure why someone would redline pin their own bike til the point of this kind of damage.

I went into the State Farm office today and their course of action was to open another insurance claim, which I have done. Is there more I should do here?

This tow truck driver knows where I live, knows both vehicles I drive... I don't wanna end up seeing guy again. What are my options if State Farm denies my claim? They are the ones who chose the towing company, and I chose Motorcycles Unlimited.

Any advice appreciated...

-Snow
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Legal Advice hondarider77 Off Topic 39 04-21-2010 02:31 PM
I need some legal advice Da9tegra Off Topic 22 02-01-2010 12:13 PM
Need Some Legal Advice!!!!!! Kbuffington Off Topic 39 03-21-2009 09:54 PM
Need Legal Advice DaveJHotch Off Topic 5 11-11-2008 10:09 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-31-2012, 06:16 PM   #2
Pachuco
So fly, I need feathers

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
1098s
S4RS
SC1000
999s
996 sps

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Pachuco
faulked
Old 01-31-2012, 06:42 PM   #3
Dave S

Good thing they chose the towing company.
Dave S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:01 PM   #4
ormand
Deelish!

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2009 Ninja 650r
Total Mileage: 42,000

So unless I am misreading something, it sounds like the towtruck driver decided to do burnouts with your bike or atleast rev the fk out of it. Did you give him the key to your bike? I guess you kinda had to for Motorcycles Unlimited?

I wouldn't tell the insurance company anything anything if I were you. Just let the I's get dotted as they will.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:21 PM   #5
Snow
Can I kick it?

Bike(s):
Sick 7-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormand View Post
So unless I am misreading something, it sounds like the towtruck driver decided to do burnouts with your bike or atleast rev the fk out of it. Did you give him the key to your bike? I guess you kinda had to for Motorcycles Unlimited?

I wouldn't tell the insurance company anything anything if I were you. Just let the I's get dotted as they will.

Yes, ofc he had the key since Motorcycles Unlimited would need it.

Insurance company already knows, and I think it is best to bring them in ASAP. They are my best bet, since their hands are dirty with the tow truck company.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:24 PM   #6
dabus63
Senőr Member

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 GSXR 1000
04 R1 (sold)
04 R6 (stolen)
99 GSXR 750 (sold)
1990 YSR 50 (in storage)

Member Garage

man, that sux bro!! Sorry to hear that, but at this point I'd stick with what you've already told the insurance company and don't change the story. Let them put 2 & 2 together?
There is no reason to lie?
dabus63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:12 AM   #7
Snow
Can I kick it?

Bike(s):
Sick 7-5

I just honestly am still baffled at this. I cannot believe that a tow truck driver pulled over between Huntsville and Motorcycles Unlimited... and just went to town on my bike.

Patrick is positive about what would be required for this to happen... and I just cannot believe that someone could be such a idiot and do something like this.

Are people really this f**ked up or what?...
Old 02-01-2012, 12:12 AM   #8
Myrdok
Dude No Longer With a POS

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
02 Suz Katana 750 (Sold)
09 CBR600rr

I would tell them what Motorcycles Unlimited told you and then from what you told them before and the info you have help them put 2&2 together.

She's had 5 kids. You could pound a summer sausage in there with a Peterbilt and still have room to parallel park a Jetta. I'm pretty sure knocking on the tradesman's entrance isn't going to get you sent to the penalty box.
Myrdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:19 AM   #9
Snow
Can I kick it?

Bike(s):
Sick 7-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrdok View Post
I would tell them what Motorcycles Unlimited told you and then from what you told them before and the info you have help them put 2&2 together.

Yep. I basically told the 15 minute long story 5x today from person to person with State Farm. Will be probably telling it some more tomorrow when claims calls me back.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:33 AM   #10
sharkbait
i am delicious

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
08 CBR1000RR

i think your most convincing piece of info to state farm would be the opinion of the owner of a reputable motorcycle shop
sharkbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:33 AM   #11
bluewave18
Safety Third

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

I find it hard to believe that any riding they may have done bent valves.
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:36 AM   #12
Yanni

Bike(s):
Yamaha V-Star 1100
Yamaha YZ450F
Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow View Post
I just honestly am still baffled at this. I cannot believe that a tow truck driver pulled over between Huntsville and Motorcycles Unlimited... and just went to town on my bike.

Patrick is positive about what would be required for this to happen... and I just cannot believe that someone could be such a idiot and do something like this.

Are people really this f**ked up or what?...
Funny thing, I once met a guy almost exactly like the one you describe. A while ago, a bike once fell, I was around so I ran to see if I can help a fellow rider. He had to be taken to the hospital so after the ambulance arrived I promised him I would wait there till a tow truck arrives so I can send his bike home. After almost 2 hours a guy in a flatbed arrives, know-it-all type of guy, wouldn't stop talking.... Offered to drive up the bike to his flatbed, but he said there's no need, has done it many times before, used to ride bikes, and of course, he knew-it-all.

Don't know if he revved it later, but good thing he dropped it on the same side that was already messed up while riding up the flatbed...

Good luck dealing with the insurance company, hope you get out of this mess easily.
Yanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:38 AM   #13
Snow
Can I kick it?

Bike(s):
Sick 7-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
I find it hard to believe that any riding they may have done bent valves.
I am guessing he just turned it on in neutral and revved it there.

Like I said... I am surprised that something like this can happen. I know the insurance company might not know for sure if it was me or him... but I sure as know it was not me, and I know it was not Motorcycles Unlimited. There is only one other way this could have happened.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:47 AM   #14
tearrep7
Banned

Experience: 1-3 months

Send a message via AIM to tearrep7
User is banned

tearrep7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:57 AM   #15
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tearrep7 View Post
I smell fraud here...
Check your drawers
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:05 PM   #16
ELSpurgeO
Jeremy

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
06 R6
04 R6
02 R6
06 ZX10 *SOLD* 05 ZX636 *SOLD*
04 CBR1000RR *SOLD* 99 ZX9 *RIP*

Just complete speculation, but 2 hours is a long time did you happen to tell state farm the mileage when you made the claim as compared to what the mileage could possibly be now? Probably a stupid idea but sounds like this guy was an idiot anyway.
ELSpurgeO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:38 PM   #17
Snow
Can I kick it?

Bike(s):
Sick 7-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tearrep7 View Post
I smell fraud here...
Thanks for your support . If I just wanted the cash for the bike (been trying to sell it), I would've left it in a walmart parking lot with the key in it, like insurance fraud scum do. Certainly wouldn't be falsely accusing someone else...

The bike has just acted as a scooter to and from campus lately, never been tracked, and none of my bikes have ever been stunted. People here that know me, know I don't do that junk to my bikes. Even the people who have seen me at the track know how I treat it even while tracking it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELSpurgeO View Post
Just complete speculation, but 2 hours is a long time did you happen to tell state farm the mileage when you made the claim as compared to what the mileage could possibly be now? Probably a stupid idea but sounds like this guy was an idiot anyway.
Don't have precise mileage. The mileage in the pictures has a few back and forth trips on campus, but I also don't understand how you could redline the bike long enough for this kind of damage while being also in gear... I just don't think he rode it at all.

Motorcycles Unlimited also does not have as exact of a time as I have. They just told me "near closing."
Old 02-01-2012, 12:52 PM   #18
LadyDuc

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'96 Ducati 900 SS SP
'99 Ducati 750 SS sold
'89 Honda NT650 GT Hawk sold
'94 Suzuki Katana 750 sold
Not a bike but almost as fun; '05 Dodge Neon SRT-4 ACR

Keep working with the insurance company, I have had no problems with State Farm over the years. Hopefully they will do well by you.

In the mean time, do you mind sharing the name of the Tow Company so the rest of us know who to avoid in the future?
Old 02-01-2012, 12:56 PM   #19
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

How the do you bend valves by reving to the limiter?
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:03 PM   #20
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

If you bounce it off the limiter the CCT can fail causing the cams to get out of time. When cams get out of time it allows valves to hit pistons, but you probably know that already don't you?

I don't know that's definitely what happened but the bike has very low compression so it's a safe bet.
We haven't checked it any further than the compression test. Squanto/Scott will run a leak down and probably pull the valve cover later today.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement