MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2012, 01:27 PM   #1
Senator
Dude....Seriously?
 
Senator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Washington Ave.
Feedback Rating: (17)
Posts: 5,101

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)






Taking another hit from the trackpipe...

Any of you ever take an extended break from the track and then return?
How hard was it to recover your peak skills/speed?
Did you keep away bad habits?
Forget alot of stuff?
I was not on the street either, so it's not like I was maintaining some seat time. Been about 7 months since I sold my r6 to Mightmouse (Sherry).

Share your experience.
__________________
Bill N.
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Google and Apple taking a hit grsa The Circus 14 12-26-2013 12:32 PM
Worst road debris you've hit or almost hit? darranwil General Discussion (Moto Related) 51 03-27-2013 02:32 PM
taking a hit.. would u do it? Petro General Discussion (Moto Related) 22 05-06-2008 07:47 AM
Motorcyclist dies after being hit by hit-and-run driver Jay General Discussion (Moto Related) 87 09-04-2007 11:28 AM
Advertisement
Old 01-31-2012, 01:32 PM   #2
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.
 
Solracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Kemah Area
Feedback Rating: (9)
Posts: 28,864

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883



Member Garage


I was heavy into trackdays leading up to April of 09. Stopped, sold track bike.

Picked up the new one this past August did a trackday at TWS (Texas World Speedway), was 15 seconds off my fastest lap during the first half of the day. by the end of the day, I was only 10 off. Did another trackday there 2 weeks later. By the end of the day I had BEATEN my previous fastest time.

Take a day to reacquaint yourself with the bike and trackday stuff. Enjoy it, don't push too hard to get back to where you were. , you may even be faster than you were.
__________________
Chris
Solracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:00 PM   #3
Senator
Dude....Seriously?
 
Senator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Washington Ave.
Feedback Rating: (17)
Posts: 5,101

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)






Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
I was heavy into trackdays leading up to April of 09. Stopped, sold track bike.

Picked up the new one this past August did a trackday at TWS (Texas World Speedway), was 15 seconds off my fastest lap during the first half of the day. by the end of the day, I was only 10 off. Did another trackday there 2 weeks later. By the end of the day I had BEATEN my previous fastest time.

Take a day to reacquaint yourself with the bike and trackday stuff. Enjoy it, don't push too hard to get back to where you were. , you may even be faster than you were.
That's good to know. At least I won't have to break those bad habits from the street. I guess it will be keeping myself in check more, since I'm not nervous or anything.
__________________
Bill N.
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:05 PM   #4
zerobounds
Captain Concussion
 
zerobounds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Katy
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 5,279

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
70









I haven't gone since November and I'm freakin' out.
__________________
zerobounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:06 PM   #5
mkgsxr
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Atascosita
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 6,081

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
07 GSXR 600 "TRACK "
03 XR70 PIT








User is banned

.
mkgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:15 PM   #6
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.
 
Solracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Kemah Area
Feedback Rating: (9)
Posts: 28,864

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883



Member Garage


Quote:
Originally Posted by zerobounds View Post
I haven't gone since November and I'm freakin' out.
you too?
__________________
Chris
Solracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:19 PM   #7
Senator
Dude....Seriously?
 
Senator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Washington Ave.
Feedback Rating: (17)
Posts: 5,101

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)






Quote:
Originally Posted by zerobounds View Post
I haven't gone since November and I'm freakin' out.
Lane, that passed for me after a few months, now I just want to get back no matter how fast I am.

Shooting for 2:20's @ MSRH......
j/k Hopefully won't be that bad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkgsxr View Post
You get another bike senator?
Technically no, not jinking anything yet.
__________________
Bill N.
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:20 PM   #8
S.D.W.
...Ready
 
S.D.W.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Galleria
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 3,147

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2011 ZX10 Racebike
2010 Crf450r
2009 zx6 race bike
2009 ttr110






My brother is going through this right now. He sold his 07R6 and now regrets it big time!!!

He is about to buy a built 2010BMW 10000 if all goes to plan
__________________
HouseOfPaint
S.D.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:28 PM   #9
Senator
Dude....Seriously?
 
Senator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Washington Ave.
Feedback Rating: (17)
Posts: 5,101

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)






Quote:
Originally Posted by S.D.W. View Post
My brother is going through this right now. He sold his 07R6 and now regrets it big time!!!

He is about to buy a built 2010BMW 10000 if all goes to plan
When did he sell his?
Guessing he hasn't been back on either?
__________________
Bill N.
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:30 PM   #10
mkgsxr
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Atascosita
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 6,081

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
07 GSXR 600 "TRACK "
03 XR70 PIT








User is banned

.
mkgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:38 PM   #11
S.D.W.
...Ready
 
S.D.W.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Galleria
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 3,147

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2011 ZX10 Racebike
2010 Crf450r
2009 zx6 race bike
2009 ttr110






Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
When did he sell his?
Guessing he hasn't been back on either?
He sold it in 2011, before October sometime.... he hasn't been back on but I know he'll pick it up pretty quick. I let him know its a totally different animal than that R6 too.

Before that he had an 07r1, he ended up selling cuz he crashed it and wasn't confident in the bike, then he went to a 2010 Ducati 1198, then sold it cuz it was too expensive! lol

That boy is worse than a woman!
__________________
HouseOfPaint
S.D.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:38 PM   #12
S.D.W.
...Ready
 
S.D.W.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Galleria
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 3,147

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2011 ZX10 Racebike
2010 Crf450r
2009 zx6 race bike
2009 ttr110






Quote:
Originally Posted by mkgsxr View Post
That BMW is one bad
fa show!!!
__________________
HouseOfPaint
S.D.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:55 PM   #13
Senator
Dude....Seriously?
 
Senator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Washington Ave.
Feedback Rating: (17)
Posts: 5,101

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)






Quote:
Originally Posted by S.D.W. View Post
He sold it in 2011, before October sometime.... he hasn't been back on but I know he'll pick it up pretty quick. I let him know its a totally different animal than that R6 too.

Before that he had an 07r1, he ended up selling cuz he crashed it and wasn't confident in the bike, then he went to a 2010 Ducati 1198, then sold it cuz it was too expensive! lol

That boy is worse than a woman!
Nice!
His company need a financial analyst??
<-------
__________________
Bill N.
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:33 PM   #14
S.D.W.
...Ready
 
S.D.W.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Galleria
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 3,147

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2011 ZX10 Racebike
2010 Crf450r
2009 zx6 race bike
2009 ttr110






Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Nice!
His company need a financial analyst??
<-------
Yeah really, he needs the " pay off and be satisfied" plan!
__________________
HouseOfPaint
S.D.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:30 PM   #15
Hi-Side
Senior Member
 
Hi-Side's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Spring, TX
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 348

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
09 YZ 450
07 TTR 230
05 TTR 125
03 TTR 125






Send a message via AIM to Hi-Side
I was off completely for 5 years and it took about 4 track days to be feeling pretty comfortable again, and about 6 before I started pushing and getting the red mist again. I was embarassingly slow and pretty nervous when I first came back. The nervousness is gone, still a little slow left, but not much
Hi-Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:40 PM   #16
Senator
Dude....Seriously?
 
Senator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Washington Ave.
Feedback Rating: (17)
Posts: 5,101

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)






Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-Side View Post
I was off completely for 5 years and it took about 4 track days to be feeling pretty comfortable again, and about 6 before I started pushing and getting the red mist again. I was embarassingly slow and pretty nervous when I first came back. The nervousness is gone, still a little slow left, but not much
Thanks for sharing!

If you compare time-tables that puts me at like .75 of a trackday....

I guess we will see. Now I'd have to decide if I really want to sit through 2 round robins of lvl 1 again or just sign back up for lvl 2 and stay smooth in the back.
__________________
Bill N.
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:04 PM   #17
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.
 
Solracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Kemah Area
Feedback Rating: (9)
Posts: 28,864

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883



Member Garage


Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Thanks for sharing!

If you compare time-tables that puts me at like .75 of a trackday....

I guess we will see. Now I'd have to decide if I really want to sit through 2 round robins of lvl 1 again or just sign back up for lvl 2 and stay smooth in the back.
I did lvl 2 for the firswt 2 trackdays back then did level 3(4) on the 3rd.

However, as a rule of thumb, I always run a lvl 2 in the morning first before I jump to lvl 3
__________________
Chris
Solracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:31 PM   #18
1FC
380 Racing & Paint
 
1FC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 1,901

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
GSXR
GSXR
GSXR
GSXR






Quote:
Originally Posted by zerobounds View Post
I haven't gone since November and I'm freakin' out.
THIS !!
__________________
CMRA Novice Champion with / 380 Racing & Paint / South Central Race Center / Pirelli Rubber
Motorcycles Unlimited / Houston SuperBikes /
Cycle Gear / P-1 Suspension / M-4 Products / Family and Friends
1FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:42 PM   #19
Senator
Dude....Seriously?
 
Senator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Washington Ave.
Feedback Rating: (17)
Posts: 5,101

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)






The only thing I don't like about lvl 2 the first few TDs of the season is that we will have some trackday heros trying to run CMRA hotlaps their first TD back.

Fast and unpredictable makes a hostile environment.
__________________
Bill N.
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:47 PM   #20
Kaitlin
:-D
 
Kaitlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: The Woodlands,Tx
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,421

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
07 r6 track bike baby
08 CBR600rr- Sold
04 r6- Sold







Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
The only thing I don't like about lvl 2 the first few TDs of the season is that we will have some trackday heros trying to run CMRA hotlaps their first TD back.

Fast and unpredictable makes a hostile environment.
That's going to happen with every level though...
Kaitlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:38 PM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy