Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2012, 12:33 AM   #1
Morphish
Fast for a Commuter

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2004 Suzuki Katana B12
2005 Triumph Rocket ]I[
1983 Honda GL1100 (sold)

Engine Running Rough

So this just started recently.

1200cc Suzuki inline-4 engine, carbs.

Engine struggles a bit getting started, but once it's on it stays on ok - figuring it's just the colder weather. But after it's warmed up enough that I can turn off the choke, it seems to run fine at idle, and at the normal idle RPM. Then, if I give it some gas it gets rough and vibrates lightly until it hits about 2500 rpm. At that point it calms down. Taking off from a stop seems a little weak (since I'm usually around 2500 rpm for my gentle 1st gear launches), so I find myself giving it more gas than normal. Acceleration at speed seems like it's a bit (but not a lot) weaker as well, but it's hard to know for sure if I'm imagining that part.

Also, and this is a strange one, at idle the engine itself seems kinda noisy. Not the exhaust, which actually sounds mostly normal. But the sound of the engine isn't as clean as I'm used to. Since I never listened terribly closely to the engine sounds before, I don't know if this is a new sound or that I'm just thinking it is because of the strange behavior. However, no backfire and no smoke off the exhaust. I don't smell any gasoline odors from the tailpipe either. If a cylinder wasn't firing I imagine it would be much much rougher and interfere with idle speed.

Anyway - any ideas? Bad gas (I just filled it with 93 octane from an unfamiliar station) perhaps? Plugs? Hopefully not the carbs.

The only other different thing that happened (other than the full tank of gas), was a 0mph tip-over in my garage (DARN CENTER STANDS!!!). Fairings weren't cracked, levers didn't snap off or anything. All it did externally was lightly scratch the clearcoat, which I can touch up and buff out the rest. I can't imagine a gentle tip could make it run differently, but maybe so.

Would anyone know just from listening to it what the problem likely is?
Morphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2007 r6 running rough please help Itsjay How To's and Q & A's 14 04-16-2013 07:56 PM
05 R6 running rough. help please! hjl47 General Discussion (Moto Related) 17 02-09-2013 04:22 PM
03 R6 running rough. r6txrider How To's and Q & A's 14 07-27-2010 12:43 PM
Engine Running HOT?! gsxr600rider How To's and Q & A's 10 05-05-2009 10:10 AM
Still running rough adub How To's and Q & A's 6 08-12-2008 09:37 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-27-2012, 01:49 AM   #2
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Pull your air filter and make sure it didn't get coated with oil when the bike got knocked over.
To be honest though it sounds like your slow speed circuits on your carbs are a little dirty/clogged.
Run a few tanks of Seafoam through it and see if it improves.
If you'd like bring it by I can listen to it and give you a better opinion, no charge.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 02:25 AM   #3
Chuckster

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
2006 Yamaha R1

^^^and that is why Motorcycles Unlimited are a great bunch of guys!
Chuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 05:06 PM   #4
Morphish
Fast for a Commuter

Bike(s):
2004 Suzuki Katana B12
2005 Triumph Rocket ]I[
1983 Honda GL1100 (sold)

Great advice!

Air filters are K&N Pods, and they seemed clear. I put in about 1/3 a bottle of SeaFoam.

WOW!!!!

After about 20 minutes of riding around the performance came back to the way I remember it.

I was going to check the sounds and stuff after it cooled off but.... battery is dead. Strange. It had been kinda sluggish starting for the last few weeks, but it's totally and completely dead now. The clock is on until I turn the key (not even starting) and apparently the juice needed to fire the headlamps and dash light fades out the clock and then it resets to 1:00AM. As soon as I turn it off, the clock comes back on. Strange, since I was just riding it around (rather spiritedly, I might add). <sigh>

Looks like I'll get the battery checked out after the weekend. Grrrr.

Well, one problem seems solved at least.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:11 PM   #5
cuong-nutz
Resident 250 guru

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
Ninjer 250

Check your battery connections. One time I had one of the cables rattled loose and left me stranded on the side of the road for a bit until I figured it out.
cuong-nutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:17 PM   #6
bluewave18
Safety Third

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

dirty carbs
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:52 PM   #7
Morphish
Fast for a Commuter

Bike(s):
2004 Suzuki Katana B12
2005 Triumph Rocket ]I[
1983 Honda GL1100 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
Check your battery connections. One time I had one of the cables rattled loose and left me stranded on the side of the road for a bit until I figured it out.
Ok, the plot thickens....

I got back from the weekend and decided to use my multimeter to see how bad the battery was. 12.7v. That was strangely normal, so I turned the key and hit the starter and the bike started (!!!!!). I left it choked up to get the engine to about 4k rpm and then checked the voltage at the battery terminals. 13.7v, indicating that it is getting a decent charge level. I then hit the kill switch, then tried starting it again - no hesitation, cranked right up. Man, that SeaFoam stuff totally cured the hesitation and noise issue. Everything seems as it should be.

I then rode around a bit on 610 and stopped for a coffee. While I'm drinking it I suddenly am nervous that the bike won't start. About 30 minutes later I go back to the bike - starts without complaint. I ride it home and park it in the garage. Just on a lark, I try starting it 30 seconds later - np, cranks up just fine. Multimeter still shows 12.6 on the battery while the bike is off and 13.5 when revving. I went ahead and set the clock since the strange stuff it was doing on Friday dropped the power to it and it was reading something like 4:30AM. lol

Not that I'm complaining about a functional bike, but what the heck could have made it go into zero power mode when the key turned to "On" on Friday? Nothing changed since then. I didn't take the terminals off or anything. The bike wasn't moved. <puzzled>

I'm thinking about just being on the safe side and replacing the battery. Being stranded is no fun.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:45 PM   #8
BaoPee
12 yr old Asian boy

Feedback Rating: (8)

same thing happened to two of bikes on regulator ride today....we had to push start both bikes, after that we had several stop and go (pumping gas and lunch) both of bikes had to problem to start back up ........weird

info@halffastgroup.com
BaoPee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:08 AM   #9
Guitar Man
Keep moving!!!!>>>>>>>>>>

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2013 Suzuki V Strom DL650 22,000 miles
09 Yamaha FZ6 59,651 miles (RIP)
07 Yamaha FZ6 39,668 miles (RIP)
73 Triumph Tiger 750
Cannondale Quick CX4 (Pedal Powaa!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
Yep. Happened to me once too. Sometimes problems can be the simplest things.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:45 AM   #10
cychotic
Banned

User is banned

cychotic is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement