MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2012, 09:55 PM   #1
THE DEAN OF LEAN
CMRA/WERA #171 AMA#771

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
GSXR 600 Race Bike

Member Garage

Reflection of a day at the track with Brandt Dillon aka CDill35

I was in dire need of some seat time and after a conversation with Brandt one night, I found out he was a member at MSRH. "WOW, I thought, first race of the season is there!" I have a new bike that needed sorting out, plus first year expert (ready or not) and I do not have much time at msrh. I have done a few trackdays there and it has always ended bad, going back to two out of my first 3 trackdays being at msrh and me crashing, then one time year before last i tried to go out there with a well respected figure who volunteered his time to help me understand suspension and after two sessions I blew up the shock. Only time I went out there and did a complete day was December of 2010. Then I isntructed for Ride Smart this December. So needless to say I was just as lost out there as many level 1 students there first or second time there when it comes to the actual race line.

Anyway, I have much respect for Brandt and all that he has accomplished since he has started racing. This was my first chance to see how good of an instructor he was. I can't say that I was impressed because if you know Brandt, he really doesn't do anything half@$$. All that said, he was superb!

The first on-track session we did a round robin to get used to where our bikes should be, we did this and gradually increased our speed each lap. Three students and we rotated being right behind brandt. Same way each level 1 trackday starts off, but at a much faster rate of speed. the first two classroom sessions we went over the race line on powerpoint, which I guarantee is alot different than what many of the instructors at various trackday orgs are teaching. Brandts line is the FAST LINE! At this speed things feel weird and you have to steer our bike to where it should be instead of driving out, but it builds muscle memory which helps when you are trying to go fast. The second session we went out and had a free session to warm up to getting used to being on the line before the video instrcution began. The third session was each student at his own pace riding around the track with the ever sneaky ninja,CDILL, stalking the students and getting video when he was least expecting it. (Good thing he never caught my embarassing moments on camera who is the ninja now?) Brandt also did lead/follow laps throughout the sessions. After each riding session we reviewed video of each student and had a teacher/student discussion. This was extremely important, because you may not always understand why you are doing something wrong, or why something is wrong. And with this, you are getting it from someone who has led Ty Howard around a track once or twice. That is saying something because Ty is no joke when it comes to motorcycles.

Again, video is so important because you can see where you are on track and see where Brandt is and where the race line is. And it is not real time. You can pause, rewind and discuss. You can see how you think you are driving out to the edge of the track when it reality you are several feet from it. Video gives you the chance to go out and work on that one corner where you know you are off! Then you can come back in and see if you corrected it or not. And video doesnt lie! LOL I believe video is one of the most valuble tools of instruction because instructors are just humans. They forget all the mistakes you made in a session! Especially if they have more than one student. Plus it gives the chance for the student to explain why they are off line. And hey, we all have excuses. If you are like me, you are hands on and need to see it and feel it before you can understand it. You have muscle memory and with video you can recollect from the mental side of things and then discuss! Brandt was very skilled at explaining why you needed to be a certain place and why other spots were bad to be on. He even was able to discuss at great length how hitting sealer doesnt mean you are going to crash. lol Yes one of the students spent most of the day on the sealer patches, but at day's end he was most improved and had the line also. When I had the chance to reflect and look back upon my notes, I feel I gained the knowledge of where the race line is and was able to learn how to rider smarter, harder and safer. I now have a few things to work on before the season starts instead of a laundry list. I am certain that because of this trackday with Brandt that I can patch those few things up and be competitive come race day. The bonus I received, was that I was able to get accustomed to a new bike and put in alot of laps and improve as a rider while being taught by one of CMRA's top experts! All in all I think we are stealing by him doing it for the price he does! But I like stealing because I am broke, so hopefully he doesnt race the prices soon!

I was probably the most advanced rider and I can honestly say this is geared to all levels. All three of the students there were at different levels, yet we each left happy and feelling like our money was well spent. Each of us seemed to improve every session. From I don't know where I am going, to what is the line, to I should be there not here, to Brandt complimenting us on our lines, body position, etc.

I will definitely give brandt my money again, in fact I can't wait til next time to continue improving. As a first time expert, I have a long way to go. The only way to get faster and ride safer is to follow those who know what they are doing and someone you trust to help you break down your barriers. And I got a ton of seat time. Somewhere in the 4 hours of on track time! Aside from the fact that my suspension is wayyyyyyyyy too tight and getting beat up by the superbike tail and being all bruised up to barely being able to walk today! I couldnt count the laps if I tried!

Thank you Bradnt, for your time, instrcution, patience, and knowledge! Hope you have a blessed off season and see you soon!

717 and 171-what a coincedence lol just realized that