MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2012, 11:35 PM   #41
mkgsxr
Banned

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
07 GSXR 600 "TRACK "
03 XR70 PIT

User is banned

mkgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MH Member--Rider Down Jonbones General Discussion (Moto Related) 50 11-10-2012 09:05 PM
Safe Ride Leader (SRL) Nomination Mala Lingua General Discussion (Moto Related) 33 02-07-2012 03:21 PM
MH help a new rider out plz Zombiekid General Discussion (Moto Related) 255 01-31-2011 03:53 PM
are you on MH unknown rider? houseofpaint General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 03-28-2008 04:11 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-16-2012, 11:36 PM   #42
Morphish
Fast for a Commuter

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2004 Suzuki Katana B12
2005 Triumph Rocket ]I[
1983 Honda GL1100 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
Problem with "ride your own ride" is a noob has no idea what that means.
Clenching down on the grips = not comfortable. Not my own ride.

Wishing I could scrub off speed in the turn (but leaning and praying instead of braking) = not comfortable. Not my own ride.

Heart racing in fear instead of excitement = definitely not my own ride.

If I pay attention to how I'm perched on the bike I know if I'm outside my comfort zone. I can then slow down, relax, and start enjoying the ride again. Panic is a real killer on a bike. No way I want to mess with that.
Morphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:36 PM   #43
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzo View Post
In reality, most of the individuals on this forum don't ride the group rides. When I see the list for rides its usually the same names and new riders
Keep in mind that for every ride that is posted, there are probably a half dozen others that aren't.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:39 PM   #44
Renzo
I do not consent

Feedback Rating: (13)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
r6

Member Garage

Quote:
Keep in mind that for every ride that is posted, there are probably a half dozen others that aren't.
Why is that?

I would guess it's because they don't want noobs showing up. or they just like riding with particular individuals.

How many on here refuse to ride with noobs?
Old 01-16-2012, 11:39 PM   #45
BaoPee
12 yr old Asian boy

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 1-3 months

Floyd600 = great leader/ great mentor/ cares about all level of riders, mentor new group riders, leading noob group on SMR

info@halffastgroup.com

Last edited by BaoPee; 01-16-2012 at 11:42 PM.
BaoPee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:39 PM   #46
Squoddybody
This is me.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

Quote:
This.

follow me on IG - squoddybody
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:40 PM   #47
texlurch

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphish View Post
Clenching down on the grips = not comfortable. Not my own ride.

Wishing I could scrub off speed in the turn (but leaning and praying instead of braking) = not comfortable. Not my own ride.

Heart racing in fear instead of excitement = definitely not my own ride.

If I pay attention to how I'm perched on the bike I know if I'm outside my comfort zone. I can then slow down, relax, and start enjoying the ride again. Panic is a real killer on a bike. No way I want to mess with that.
All excellent indicators... if you pay attention to them in time. Most offroad excursions are of the "oh " split second ones. Sometimes if you are paying attention, you can spot indicators of someone over-riding their skill set.. thats why it's good to have experienced riders behind a noob.

The classic group ride incident begins with having the fast-medium-slow groups. Sooner or later, someone from the rear group decides they are ready to catch up to the faster group.. and ends up in the ditch.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:43 PM   #48
Renzo
I do not consent

Feedback Rating: (13)

Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
r6

Member Garage

I"m the reigning champ of worst leader. I wouldn't safe unsafe though, I mean what is "unsafe"
Old 01-16-2012, 11:44 PM   #49
texlurch

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600

Member Garage

Quote:
Why is that?

I would guess it's because they don't want noobs showing up. or they just like riding with particular individuals.

Both...

And because you get tired of setting up rides, and having a mixture of people showing up and riding like tards or getting over their heads and endangering themselves and the group.

My favorite is posting a dedicated noob ride, and having all kinds of "fast" peeps wanting to show, split up groups... guess to feed their egos.

And when you tell them nope, its a noob ride and we're riding slow, they get all pissy... go set up your own rides already..

Sorry.. off my soap box!
Old 01-16-2012, 11:46 PM   #50
Bart
Thread killer

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2005 R6
'06 Suzuki Katana 750 (destroyed)

Nice to see this thread has turned out well; respectful & not a popularity contest.

Best advice for the Noobs:
1) don't hit the streets until you're ready
2) just show up for the rides; seek out one's labelled "noob friendly"

Most rides are good rides. Pre-ride meetings with discussions on pace, breaks, hand signals etc-etc-etc are more common than not. It's up to ALL riders in the group to watch out for everyone else. Noobs will figure out who the "good" leaders are within their first couple rides; I kinda chalk this up to an easy rite of passage.

I'm certainly not leader material -- I just do my part by keeping eye; if someone lags behind then lag too I shall: NO BIKER LEFT BEHIND. It's the least that could be asked of any of us.

I kinda like the idea of an "EaRL"* icon available for select member's signature lines.

*Experienced - - Ride - Leader"
Old 01-16-2012, 11:47 PM   #51
texlurch

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600

Member Garage

Quote:
I"m the reigning champ of worst leader. I wouldn't safe unsafe though, I mean what is "unsafe"
Unsafe is riding too fast for the group and the roads... simple

It all boils down to the leader has to lead..

YOU set the pace, and make sure it's not too fast for the slowest peeps...

Otherwise it isn't a "group" ride... it's just a bunch of individuals flying thru traffic.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:47 PM   #52
Mala Lingua
Optimistic Cynic

Bike(s):
'06 600RR (Mogee)
Phifty (Fuglee)

Quote:
Tis true. And while not everyone on the board is here to even participate in group rides, I suspect that we could draw some more folks out. I'll hazard a guess and say that for every confident rider we have there are 2 (or more?) who aren't confident and are at a loss when it comes to showing up to ride with so many unknown elements.

I know it definitely helps when the rides are consistently organized. Luckily there are several people who are regular with this. I also think there's more participation when we have different flavors of rides. Some folks wanna "go do twistys" while others want leisurely rides through slightly curvy countryside or spirited downtown events. Personally, I'd spork myself to death before going on another Forest Ride. I've been riding long enough that there's almost gotta be something kooky/curious either along the way or as a destination. I'd go batshit bonkers if I was on some group ride that passed an abandoned house that I couldn't stop and explore.
Mala Lingua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:51 PM   #53
Mala Lingua
Optimistic Cynic

Bike(s):
'06 600RR (Mogee)
Phifty (Fuglee)

Quote:
Why is that?

Don't think of it in a negative way. Sometimes folks just want to relax and ride with people they're comfortable with or are friends with. People always sort out, and it's a good thing. Riders who don't have the patience to work with noobs should do their own thing and not invite trouble.
Mala Lingua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:23 AM   #54
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaoPee View Post
Bevo = great leader/ great mentor/ king of planking
Thanks brother
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:41 AM   #55
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mala Lingua View Post
What criteria make an all-around safe rider for noobs?
All a leader can really do is conduct a pre-ride meeting, set the rules for the ride, answer any questions, lead by example, set the pace, and with the help of a good sweeper, monitor the group. Motorcycling is a dangerous activity and some riders have more of a natural ability than others. After the ride has started most of any control the leader had is lost and transferred inside the helmet of each rider.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:34 AM   #56
kibitzer
Donkey punch 2 the soul

Bike(s):
2007 CBR600RR
02 XR100(tarded)
07 CRF50 (mini tard)

I went on a few group rides when I first joined here to get a more personal feel for the community. From that experience I'd have to say Cali and Bevo were both great group leaders.

They personified what a ride leader should do and be, but at the same time went through great pains to emphasize the importance for each rider to take personal responsibility for their actions. No matter how good a ride leader is, he won't be laying in the hospital bed next to you sharing the pain.

Unless it's Bevo, but then he just wants to be the big spoon and steal your meds.

Sad to say, my group ride career was short lived and I have no idea who the other good leaders are around here. After a few witnessed incidents I realized that most of the people here I wouldn't trust with a $2 slingshot, much less a 400lb rocketing projectile of destruction that's unerringly obedient to the whims of a mouth breather prone to delusional fantasies of competency.
kibitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:39 AM   #57
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibitzer View Post

Unless it's Bevo, but then he just wants to be the big spoon and steal your meds.
Even though Kib's my favorite patient, I hope he stays out of the hospital
Old 01-17-2012, 08:57 AM   #58
cdill35

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Texlurch, Maxgs, Caligonetx and a few others I'm surely missing.

I prefer ride leaders that have actually done a few track days, tons of group rides and know how to handle a motorcycle. This way you can trust that what they are teaching noobs is correct.
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:13 AM   #59
Rykoson
Brawp Brawp!

Bike(s):
www.shortfilmproductions.org
2009 YZF-R6-Rest in Peace
2011 ZX-6R Kawasaki Ninja-Track/Street

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
All a leader can really do is conduct a pre-ride meeting, set the rules for the ride, answer any questions, lead by example, set the pace, and with the help of a good sweeper, monitor the group. Motorcycling is a dangerous activity and some riders have more of a natural ability than others. After the ride has started most of any control the leader had is lost and transferred inside the helmet of each rider.
Your right. I think its really emphasizing to everyone that its up to each rider to act responsible. (Seldom happens though). I always notice when I am on rides there is always someone who wants to be behind the leader as to not get stuck behind someone who is slower in the corners. Kinda like the track...You know those people who know how to haul in the straits and park it in the curves.. Those guys are usually the ones who are not ready for the turns and end up trying to keep up and can't control their motorcycles.

Most of the rides I have been on the leaders have been Bevo, NewRider, Jimrad, Longdraw, and Sunday Rider. They have all been well spoken and tell the other riders not to ride over their heads. The main thing I notice is that no matter what they say, you still have people who will not listen. The riders that I have seen go down, are usually in front of the sweeper, and their is no real way to see if someone is getting in over their heads if the group is to spread out. (I think I saw somewhere that each noob needs a dedicated experienced rider behind them) I mean how can you see every little thing on the back roads when you need to focus too. A good leader should also be a sweeper!!

I have been in the front, back, middle, and even sweep for some rides. Usually a good leader can change it up and know when to follow as well as lead. You don't always have to lead the ride, if you have friends, or other riders who know the route and are capable of setting the pace. I don't see anything wrong with splitting up the group by skill level, but each group should have a control rider, or sweeper so that they can "truly be a group". However, like Bevo said once the pre-ride meeting is over, the leader really has no control of the entire group unless his message to the group was received and accepted. Also the riders need to have some self control, as well as throttle control.. A good leader needs to give feedback even if the rider doesn't want it. I have rarely met anyone that doesn't want the feedback.

Senator you have some good criteria of a good leader, I just think that its hard to place all the liability on the leader if the rider is not listening, or riding in their comfort zone, or that of the group.
STREET SCHOLARS PRODUCTIONS-Hookit
Rykoson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:51 AM   #60
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Feedback Rating: (17)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rykoson View Post
Senator you have some good criteria of a good leader, I just think that its hard to place all the liability on the leader if the rider is not listening, or riding in their comfort zone, or that of the group.
Yeah you can't control everything. If something did happen for those reasons, wouldn't you want to be at peace with yourself that you did everything in your power to prevent it? Maybe that's just me?

I also nominate CaligoneTX and Switch as leaders.
Although I've never been on a ride lead by Rykoson, I've ridden with him at the track a few times and on other rides, and he is a good rider and could lead if he wanted.

Advertisement