MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2012, 07:58 PM   #21
FLYIN'DUC

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
07 Ducati, 99 Busa

I love my Tuono, the V4,s are badass
FLYIN'DUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ducati Multistrada 30K Mile Maintenance D-Man How To's and Q & A's 6 07-09-2014 06:29 AM
Advertisement
Old 01-13-2012, 09:12 PM   #22
Pachuco
So fly, I need feathers

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
1098s
S4RS
SC1000
999s
996 sps

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Pachuco
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYIN'DUC View Post
I love my Tuono, the V4,s are badass
What don't you have..lol im trying to catch up
Old 01-13-2012, 09:53 PM   #23
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Most Triumphs are pretty close to big four in maintenance cost. Maintenance wise, Prillers are too bad, and really neither are the latest Ducatis. What get the Italian rides are the inevitable quirks you have to deal with. People who love the marques call it character; people who hate them call it unreliability. Pick your poison.

Really... debating cost of motorcycling is like arguing the value of buying diamond for your dearest. If you have to ask... you probably are in it for the wrong reasons.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:33 PM   #24
coreyTLS

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
1998 Suzuki TL1000s
2000 Suzuki DR-Z400
1996 Kawasaki KX60
1980 honda CB900c bobber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfy View Post
Really... debating cost of motorcycling is like arguing the value of buying diamond for your dearest. If you have to ask... you probably are in it for the wrong reasons.
nicely put
coreyTLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:59 PM   #25
Morphish
Fast for a Commuter

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2004 Suzuki Katana B12
2005 Triumph Rocket ]I[
1983 Honda GL1100 (sold)

Quote:
Most Triumphs are pretty close to big four in maintenance cost. Maintenance wise, Prillers are too bad, and really neither are the latest Ducatis. What get the Italian rides are the inevitable quirks you have to deal with. People who love the marques call it character; people who hate them call it unreliability. Pick your poison.

Depends. Lots of people do the commuter bike to save gas money. Heck, commuting on my ride nearly pays the financing with what I save.

But if you're doing the RSV4 vs 1199 comparison thing - yeah, maintenance cost should be pretty low on the list.
Morphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 01:17 AM   #26
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Even if you already have both car and motorcycle, the difference in gas savings isn't all that great for the average commute, unless it's between a 3/4ton hemi and a 2fiddy. By the time you figure in annual registration, insurance premium, maintenance and consumables (tires,etc.), winter and summer gear, protective equipment, premium gas for bike vs. Regular unleaded for most cars, I would be surprised any body actually saves any money at all.

Only redemption comes in the joy of riding. You cannot put a price on that. Purchasing a motorcycle is a terribly irrational and emotional enterprise. Trying to justify it on economic grounds is a futile exercise. If you're gronna do it, buy the ride that stirs your soul and makes oatmeal out of your reasoning. If - at the very first crack of the throttle as you accelerate away from the dealership - all other thoughts are blown away with the wind and disappear into your rear view mirror, you will know... that you picked the right bike.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:00 AM   #27
Morphish
Fast for a Commuter

Bike(s):
2004 Suzuki Katana B12
2005 Triumph Rocket ]I[
1983 Honda GL1100 (sold)

Well, my car gets 18 mpg. Let's say I have a 20 mile commute from Sugarland to Downtown. That's 1.1 gallons each way, or 2.2 gallons per day. 11.11 gallons a week, and 44.44 gallons a month. At $3.50 a gallon that's $155.56 a month in gas.

A GS500 gets 50-60 mpg, which is not atypical for a commuter-type bike. That 20 mile commute takes only .36 gallons each way - 14.55 for the month. At $3.50 a gallon that's $50.91. A used GS500 in excellent condition runs what, $2500? Add in $400 for gear and $200 for the BRC, maybe another $200 in taxes and stuff - $3300. That can be financed out for around $100 a month if you play your cards right. In which case your bike, gear, and training was all free based on gas savings. Buying stuff like tires and doing oil changes are no different than if you were doing the commute in your car. You'll be running regular pump gas, and not very sticky tires. In fact, some of the maintenance will be cheaper because you'll probably do your own oil changes since they're kinda easy on a bike and often a pain on a car.

After you pay it off you basically give yourself a raise of $100 a month. And even while you're paying it off YOU GET TO RIDE YOUR OWN MOTORCYCLE!!! Having the experience of taking the girlfriend/boyfriend to your favorite sandwich shop on the back of your bike... FOR FREE!!!

Now, nobody looking at an RSV4 or 1199 is thinking those thoughts. Heck, the bike I own isn't "practical" in the way I laid out above. I totally went for passion over practicality. But lots of people choose to commute on two wheels, often for cost savings reasons.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:08 PM   #28
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Your math assumes the commuter has either a bike or a car, but not both. The reality is that even the most diehard bike commuter needs a car for rainy/cold/hot days and the plethora of errands/tasks/trips that bikes cannot handle. So if you have a car already - most of us do - the entire expense of operating that bike has to be paid by the gas savings alone, before any gains can be realized.

Your math does proof that to be possible - just barely - if you go on the cheap cheap. You forgot insurance, which is hundreds per yr and possibly thousands (if you're younger with spotty driving record).

Don't get me wrong, I bike commute every chance I get. My bikes don't get 50-60mpg, unfortunately, but I appreciate the savings anyway. I'm sure we all do.

Regarless, my point is on the choice of motorcycle. I sure hope a guy doesn't buy an old GS500 just to save gas, when the RSV4/1199 is what drew him into the candy store in the first place.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:55 PM   #29
Morphish
Fast for a Commuter

Bike(s):
2004 Suzuki Katana B12
2005 Triumph Rocket ]I[
1983 Honda GL1100 (sold)

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I bike commute every chance I get. My bikes don't get 50-60mpg, unfortunately, but I appreciate the savings anyway. I'm sure we all do.

Regarless, my point is on the choice of motorcycle. I sure hope a guy doesn't buy an old GS500 just to save gas, when the RSV4/1199 is what drew him into the candy store in the first place.
QFT. We're on the same page.

The only reason I posted earlier is because a buddy of mine bought a Chinese maxi-scooter last year since it was "free" due to the gas savings. It really is a net-$0 expense for him since his primary vehicle is a Chevy truck and most of his commute was through city streets - exactly where the Chevy is a gas hog (and a pain to maneuver) and the Lifang is a dream.

The fun of the scooter was just icing on the cake.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:59 PM   #30
grsa

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
V-Strom 650
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie

Based on the numbers of people buying Ducati's, compared to Aprilia's on this site. You all should get a discoun for maintenance.
grsa is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement