Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2012, 12:06 PM   #1
Mav777
Mav
 
Mav777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: League City/Friendswood
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 133

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
07 ZX14
04 1000RR- sold
05 VFR- sold







New to TX couple questions on getting tags...

I just moved down here, had to sell my bike before the move, but I just picked up an new/used one, '07 ZX14, and I am wondering the best route to get tags for the bike. I'm down here for the next 6 months-year, maybe longer so I'm not sure which way to go.

I still have my Tennessee drivers license, do I need to get a TX DL if I register it here?
The guy I purchased the bike from rode it without switching the title to his name, so the previous owner signed and dated, almost a year ago, is this going to cause me a problem?
Would it just be easier to make a trip to TN to title?

Also, no mufflers, it's not too loud, even for an old man like me, but will it cause me problems taking it through inspection?

Thanks in advance and if anyone wants to help me wrench give me a shout, I'm not planning on any major mods but a second set of hands and eyes is always appreciated.
Mav777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Couple of questions. nameca2 Motorcycles Unlimited 1 10-12-2014 08:43 AM
A Couple of Noob Questions z0sum Taking it to the Track 8 05-22-2013 06:26 PM
Couple of questions jfly Off Topic 37 12-17-2009 11:07 AM
Couple of questions for you folks Bluestreak06 Off Topic 45 03-15-2009 08:56 AM
registering a trailer with no title/tags in TX? andrave Off Topic 9 09-19-2007 01:52 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-13-2012, 12:56 PM   #2
Lucar
Senior Member
 
Lucar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 7,825

Experience: 10+ years






Member Garage





1st off welcome. second, CYA (cover your ) change your DL, go to a secluded office, most of them are crowded. don't forget to bring your birth certificate or passport.
then, same day, go to the title court, and change it, it's like $80, inspection can be done anywhere by any one, I recommend you go to Motorcycles Unlimited, talk to patrick.. up on 1960.

for what I understand, and any one wanting to add, is that after the title is signed, the DOT gives you 45 days to put it in your name, if not, I thing you can get ticketed for it, same goes for not changing the address in your license.. so if you've been here for more than 3 weeks, and get pulled over, tell them you just came in 2 days ago!
Lucar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:13 PM   #3
IndyRC
Mutant
 
IndyRC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Colorado
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 3,416

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
None









Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucar View Post
for what I understand, and any one wanting to add, is that after the title is signed, the DOT gives you 45 days to put it in your name, if not, I thing you can get ticketed for it, same goes for not changing the address in your license.. so if you've been here for more than 3 weeks, and get pulled over, tell them you just came in 2 days ago!
I think after that 45 days you pay a fee of something like $20-30 for every month not titled.
__________________
There is no charge for awesomeness!
IndyRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:15 PM   #4
Mav777
Mav
 
Mav777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: League City/Friendswood
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 133

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
07 ZX14
04 1000RR- sold
05 VFR- sold







Thanks for the info. I've seen a couple of guys comment on here that they get a temporary, paper, tag by just going to the tax office and showing insurance documentation, does this sound right? Would let me ride while I get all the paperwork together.
Mav777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:18 PM   #5
CraigRR
CMRA # 147
 
CraigRR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Crosby
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 8,871

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2009 Honda CBR 1000RR ABS
2011 EX250NinjaR
2001 Yamaha TTR-L (sold to Jimrad)
2015 KTM RC 390 CUP






Be sure when you get it inspected they verify the vin, it is a seperate form from the inspection. Also check with the tax office and get the extra forms and have the previous owner sign them. I had to go back once to have it signed. It is the same as the title, but the tax office wants it signed.
CraigRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:21 PM   #6
SilverBullet
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Harmaston, TX
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 1,122

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere
2011 Husqvarna TE630
2003 KTM 200EXC
2002 KTM 300EXC
1974 Suzuki TM400






If you definitely plan to return to TN within 6-12 months no way I'd mess with TX titling, registration and D/L license transfer. Title it in TN, you'll probably save some money on sales tax and then not have to hassle transfering the title and your D/L back later. Many states let you do this all by mail so you might not even need to make a special trip back.

_
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:22 PM   #7
CraigRR
CMRA # 147
 
CraigRR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Crosby
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 8,871

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2009 Honda CBR 1000RR ABS
2011 EX250NinjaR
2001 Yamaha TTR-L (sold to Jimrad)
2015 KTM RC 390 CUP






Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav777 View Post
Thanks for the info. I've seen a couple of guys comment on here that they get a temporary, paper, tag by just going to the tax office and showing insurance documentation, does this sound right? Would let me ride while I get all the paperwork together.
As long as you have insurance you can get it inspected, then go to the tax office.
CraigRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:26 PM   #8
IndyRC
Mutant
 
IndyRC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Colorado
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 3,416

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
None









Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet View Post
If you definitely plan to return to TN within 6-12 months no way I'd mess with TX titling, registration and D/L license transfer. Title it in TN, you'll probably save some money on sales tax and then not have to hassle transfering the title and your D/L back later. Many states let you do this all by mail so you might not even need to make a special trip back.

_
Yeah if you're not going to be here long you should compare your options of registering in TN.

Here's a link that explains the fines involved in not titling a vehicle right away:

http://ftp.txdmv.gov/pub/txdot-info/..._penalties.pdf

Says you have 20 days to title, then a $25 late fee after that and an additional $25 fine for each 30 days after that.
__________________
There is no charge for awesomeness!
IndyRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:26 PM   #9
Mav777
Mav
 
Mav777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: League City/Friendswood
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 133

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
07 ZX14
04 1000RR- sold
05 VFR- sold







Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_gsxr600 View Post
As long as you have insurance you can get it inspected, then go to the tax office.
So you are saying even with my out of state license I can go ahead and get the tags? Actually from the way I red from the tax office site it sounded like this would be fine, but just want to confirm.

And what about the temp tag? Any idea if it's as simple as some have said, just show proof of insurance and pay the fee?

Thanks
Mav777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:29 PM   #10
CraigRR
CMRA # 147
 
CraigRR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Crosby
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 8,871

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2009 Honda CBR 1000RR ABS
2011 EX250NinjaR
2001 Yamaha TTR-L (sold to Jimrad)
2015 KTM RC 390 CUP






Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav777 View Post
So you are saying even with my out of state license I can go ahead and get the tags? Actually from the way I red from the tax office site it sounded like this would be fine, but just want to confirm.

And what about the temp tag? Any idea if it's as simple as some have said, just show proof of insurance and pay the fee?

Thanks
They didn't look at my lisence, just the insurance. Not sure about the temp tag, I have never done that.
CraigRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:39 PM   #11
Mav777
Mav
 
Mav777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: League City/Friendswood
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 133

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
07 ZX14
04 1000RR- sold
05 VFR- sold







Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRC View Post
Yeah if you're not going to be here long you should compare your options of registering in TN.

Here's a link that explains the fines involved in not titling a vehicle right away:

http://ftp.txdmv.gov/pub/txdot-info/..._penalties.pdf

Says you have 20 days to title, then a $25 late fee after that and an additional $25 fine for each 30 days after that.

THANKS!!! That may be worth a trip home....wow, guess even if you buy a clunker you better get the tags and fast.
Mav777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:45 PM   #12
yumbeef
beef eater
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: behind 200rds of 30.06
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,075

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
08 ninja 250r
06 cbr600rr








you need title application form 130u. it requires the previous owners signature. if anything is scratched out on the title, expect the tax office to jump on ur and get a letter signed from previous owner explaing why it was scratched out.
yumbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:13 PM   #13
white_335i
Senior Member
 
white_335i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,026

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2012 RC8R









Welcome.

1) you do not need to have a TX license to register the motorcycle. But the law says that you have to transfer your license to TX if you are going to be here for more than 60 days(or 6 months. can not recollect, but one of these).

2) As for title, the law says that you have to transfer the title in 15 business days after you had the bike inspected. You can always tell the DMV that the PO bought the bike in non running condition and then sold it to you. You fixed it and took it to state inspection now.

3) might cause a problem, but take it to a state inspection and see what they have to say. If they can not pass it, they will tell you to fix it and bring it back.

Also, if the bike does not have current plates/registration and you want to ride it to get inspected, first go to a local dmv(not on your bike) with a copy of insurance and not sure if you need the title and get temp tags. You can get it for 3 days and 30 days.

Then ride the bike to a state inspection facility and get it inspected and then go back to the dmv and get the title and reg. you can get all these done with your TN license.

Good luck


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav777 View Post
I just moved down here, had to sell my bike before the move, but I just picked up an new/used one, '07 ZX14, and I am wondering the best route to get tags for the bike. I'm down here for the next 6 months-year, maybe longer so I'm not sure which way to go.

I still have my Tennessee drivers license, do I need to get a TX DL if I register it here?
The guy I purchased the bike from rode it without switching the title to his name, so the previous owner signed and dated, almost a year ago, is this going to cause me a problem?
Would it just be easier to make a trip to TN to title?

Also, no mufflers, it's not too loud, even for an old man like me, but will it cause me problems taking it through inspection?

Thanks in advance and if anyone wants to help me wrench give me a shout, I'm not planning on any major mods but a second set of hands and eyes is always appreciated.
__________________
2012 RC8R
white_335i is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:06 PM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy