Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Information > Introduction Forum
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2012, 03:22 AM   #1
whomikedao
Physicist

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
'09 Kawasaki Ninja 250r(sold)
'05 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636(sold)
Honda Rebel 250

Hello from the Southwest!

Hey everyone! I'm new but not exactly 'cause I sorta posted other threads before but then decided to finally say hi and introduce myself.

Mike is the name and hopefully I'll be riding with you guys soon. I'm a new rider and is about to get my first bike soon. Hella hyped! But not going to get that in the way of my riding, I don't want to die too early.

I have one VERY NOOB question though!
I don't know how to buy a used bike from another person. I know it requires the bill of sale and registration and titles etc but I've never dealt with it.
Can someone tell me the instruction or procedure of this?
whomikedao is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
S Southwest meet (where and when) Chris_5.0 Events, Meets and Rides 45 02-05-2013 10:56 AM
Southwest Motorcross Mr.P Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 0 04-16-2010 10:36 PM
southwest motocross anyone hondarider77 Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 3 05-17-2008 06:59 AM
THE BEST IN THE SOUTHWEST STUBBS Harveyjl2 General Discussion (Moto Related) 33 01-05-2008 09:11 PM
saturday southwest joecamel Events, Meets and Rides 4 04-26-2006 02:03 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-12-2012, 03:33 AM   #2
silverfudge
superfast jellyfish

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1 year
Welcome aboard!
silverfudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 03:44 AM   #3
whomikedao
Physicist

Bike(s):
Honda Rebel 250

Haha thanks! I didn't expect anyone to reply this late or early in the morning
Old 01-12-2012, 08:52 AM   #4
BaoPee
12 yr old Asian boy

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

welcome mike

get all the documents you have mentioned and valid insurance, take it to court house and pay for the registration tax tax.

but before that take your bike to Motorcycles Unlimited, do the pre-buy inspection (Motorcycles Unlimited= motorcycle unlimited)

once bike is under your name,
http://www.ridesmart.info/index.php?page=track.msrh

info@halffastgroup.com
BaoPee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:11 AM   #5
babymilo36
(งಠ‿ಠ)ง

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2017 Grom

Member Garage

Hello and welcome I'm in Sugar Land

CMRA #620
Wreck it Pandas #68
babymilo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:14 AM   #6
Joshua42007

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
06' GSX-R 1000

Welcome to MH
Joshua42007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:21 AM   #7
matemike
Grip it 'n' Rip it!

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR 750
2007 GSXR 600...tracked out

Member Garage

A'hoy n welcome aboard
Old 01-12-2012, 10:00 AM   #8
whomikedao
Physicist

Bike(s):
Honda Rebel 250

Thanks everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaoPee View Post
welcome mike

get all the documents you have mentioned and valid insurance, take it to court house and pay for the registration tax tax.

but before that take your bike to Motorcycles Unlimited, do the pre-buy inspection (Motorcycles Unlimited= motorcycle unlimited)
I don't need the other person to come with me right? and do I have to get the bill of sale or does he have to?

So, I just get the title, get the bike insured, go to court house, and pay for registration and tax? How much is registration and tax for what?
Old 01-12-2012, 02:25 PM   #9
Morphish
Fast for a Commuter

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2004 Suzuki Katana B12
2005 Triumph Rocket ]I[
1983 Honda GL1100 (sold)

Hey man - I'm SW as well. Welcome!

I just did this so it's fresh in my memory.

To transfer the bike title, get his title signed over to you (on the back). You'll also need the tax form with the VIN number, price, and odometer reading. This should be filled out by your seller and verified before you hand over the cash. Bring your proof of insurance for that vehicle (Progressive gave me a great deal, btw). You will pay tax on the presumptive value of the bike. Basically they go by 80% of the blue-book value to avoid getting scammed by people saying they only paid $50 when it was really $5000.

The title fee is pretty minimal, like $25 or something. Registration is pretty cheap too. The tax is the bigger portion depending on your bike. There's a calculator somewhere on the Harris county website. I can't remember where. You don't need the other person to come with you, but it can be handy in case the title isn't totally clear and clean. They don't ask for a bill of sale. Their site says they will ask for a registration receipt from the previous owner, but they didn't ask for it when I went there, so maybe that's an old guideline they no longer enforce since you'll be paying for a new registration anyway.

Last edited by Morphish; 01-12-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Morphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:27 PM   #10
Morphish
Fast for a Commuter

Bike(s):
2004 Suzuki Katana B12
2005 Triumph Rocket ]I[
1983 Honda GL1100 (sold)

Oh - and don't be shy asking for help around here with your new ride. If you need assistance getting it home or checked out by a mechanic, ask around. No need to do it all by yourself unless you just want to.
Morphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:40 PM   #11
dabus63
Senőr Member

Bike(s):
04 GSXR 1000
04 R1 (sold)
04 R6 (stolen)
99 GSXR 750 (sold)
1990 YSR 50 (in storage)

Member Garage

welcome!
dabus63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:51 PM   #12
mkgsxr
Banned

Bike(s):
07 GSXR 600 "TRACK "
03 XR70 PIT

User is banned

mkgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:01 PM   #13
LadyDuc

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'96 Ducati 900 SS SP
'99 Ducati 750 SS sold
'89 Honda NT650 GT Hawk sold
'94 Suzuki Katana 750 sold
Not a bike but almost as fun; '05 Dodge Neon SRT-4 ACR

Old 01-12-2012, 04:43 PM   #14
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

To register a used vehicle you purchased privately, you need the following:

1. Form 130-U Title Application (download form and instructions here: http://www.txdmv.gov/whatyouneed/for...gistration.htm). Print these and take them with you when you purchase the bike, as the previous owner (seller) needs to fill out and sign.

2. Texas Certiticate of Title. Seller needs to fill out and sign over to you (buyer).

3. Proof of insurance. This you will have to get from you insurance agent. You can buy insurance either from local agent or online with Progressive, Geico, etc.

4. Bill of Sale is good to have, but legally not necessary, as long as the seller fills out and signs Form 130-U. I usually just print out a generic form, which you can do from any word processor (MS Word, etc.), bring two copies to the sale for both seller and buyer to fill out (each keep a copy). If you are the lawyer type, you can add in caveats like "Seller certifies that said vehicle has not been stolen or crashed..." that sort of thing.

I am embarrassed to say I've had a lot of practice at this, having bought 5 motorcycles in the past 8 months. I usually go to the FB County Tax Assessor's Office at 310 Orchard Street, Missouri City, TX 77489-1228. It's probably the least busy one. Don't go on Monday, and not around lunch time any day. I find 2-3pm in the middle of the week to be best.

BTW, I live in Missouri City Sugarland area. Welcome, and hopefully we'll have a chance to ride together.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:56 PM   #15
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Oh, one more thing. Motorcycle registration is always for the whole year and it transfers from seller to buyer, so be sure to ask for the license plate (unless seller has a vanity plates and wants to keep it). Otherwise, you as the buyer picks up the remainder of the existing registration FREE.

You do still pay tax and title app fees, of course.

BTW, don't try to cheat the County by claiming you just bought a 2012 Ducati Pannigale for $300. "but ma'am... the previous owner crashed it bad, and it's all bang-up." uhhh... even if you did just buy a pile of parts, County don't care and will make you pay sales tax based on their estimated minimum market value. That said, there is nothing that says you own 'em a penny over that, if you know what I mean.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:57 PM   #16
smoky

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2000 kawasaki zx9r
Honda cbr f4i
Yamaha r6
Yamaha fz6
Ducati 949

let me be your seles person what kind of bike your looking for ?
smoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:59 PM   #17
smoky

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2000 kawasaki zx9r
Honda cbr f4i
Yamaha r6
Yamaha fz6
Ducati 949

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky View Post
let me be your seles person what kind of bike your looking for ?
welcome
smoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:16 AM   #18
whomikedao
Physicist

Bike(s):
Honda Rebel 250

Thank you everyone! I love this forum!

Haha funny smoky
Old 01-13-2012, 09:50 AM   #19
ArtistMarty

Bike(s):
2009 zx10rse

hola for title work in the SW area ...go here

Address: 22333 Grand Corner Dr.
Katy, TX 77494 Telephone: 281-238-1490

you'll need this form
APPLICATION FOR TEXAS CERTIFICATE OF TITLE

plus

Title your Vehicle

Title your Vehicle

Sellers

Vehicles are required to be titled in the buyer's name within 20 working days (45 calendar days if the selling dealer is also financing your vehicle). Failing to properly transfer a vehicle into the buyer's name could result in the seller being held responsible for tickets, toll violations or they could even have property seized if the vehicle was used to commit a crime. To ensure this doesn't happen to you, accompany the buyer to your county tax office and make sure a vehicle title application is filed.

If you sell or trade-in your vehicle to a licensed motor vehicle dealer, the dealer is not required to title the vehicle in the dealership's name. The vehicle stays in your name until it is sold to an individual, which may take months or even years. To protect yourself, file a vehicle transfer notification.

Provide the buyer with a properly signed title, including the date of sale and odometer reading and a signed vehicle title application, with the sales price clearly shown. Keep detailed written records of any transaction, including contact information for the buyer, the date of sale and information on the vehicle, including the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN).

Buyers

Vehicle Color: We are now collecting vehicle color information. Please refer to the Color Chart when completing a vehicle title application.

If buying from an individual, have the seller accompany you to the county tax office to avoid any unwanted surprises. Before submitting the title application, a tax office representative can tell you if the title being signed over to you is correct and if it has any legal or salvage issues.

If you buy your vehicle from a dealer, the dealer is required to file the title papers on your behalf, so you will not have to visit the tax office. Make sure the dealer provides you with a receipt showing the vehicle has been titled in your name within 20 working days or 45 calendar days if the dealership will be financing your vehicle.

In addition to the title, ask the seller to provide you with the vehicle registration receipt, signed vehicle title application and any other supporting documents, such as a release of lien or power of attorney. Keep a written record that includes the name and address of the seller, date of sale and vehicle information, including the Vehicle Identification Number. Failing to title a vehicle within 20 days may result in the buyer being fined.

You must provide proof of liability insurance when you title and register your vehicle or if the vehicle you purchased has current Texas registration that is transferred to you. If you do not provide proof of insurance, you may apply for a title only

Fees

If buying from an individual, when you apply for a vehicle title the motor vehicle sales tax (6.25 percent) on either the purchase price or standard presumptive value, whichever is the highest value must be paid. The standard title, registration and local fees will also be due. Contact your county tax office for the exact amount that is due and to learn which forms of payment are accepted. Acceptable forms of payment vary by county.

For more information about vehicle title transfers, please read our FAQs, call us at (512) 465-3000 or send us an e-mail.

Last edited by ArtistMarty; 01-13-2012 at 09:54 AM.
ArtistMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 01:38 AM   #20
Smart Shark
The Prodigal 250 Rider

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650
2006 Honda CBR600RR (RIP)
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (RIP)

Welcome to the zoo, Mikey!