MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > Gear Talk
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2012, 12:16 AM   #1
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2003 Honda CRF450R motard
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

Vemar Eclipse?

I just ordered one based on reviews I found online.

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street...helmets?page=2

Yes, I always (usually) support local vendors, but figured I'd give this a shot since I am now in Cedar Park and haven't made a motorccle shop connection yet.

Does anyone have experience with the Vemar Eclipse helmet?

I will follow up with a post after get it. I currently have a Shoei X-11 (second one), so this Vemar will have some big shoes to fill!

Staton
CMRA#665 (neighbor of the beast)
The Problem - Endurance
Tojo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lunar eclipse lightlord Off Topic 1 12-20-2010 10:21 PM
Vemar Jiano Bluetooth helmet MotoLeo Gear Talk 1 10-08-2010 09:23 AM
Lunar eclipse Psych0ninja Off Topic 35 02-20-2008 01:10 PM
Lunar Eclipse DvlRacer Off Topic 37 08-28-2007 07:46 AM
VEMAR? psykohaulic General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 01-31-2007 01:07 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-12-2012, 07:27 AM   #2
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

honestly coming from a top of the line Arai to a top of the line HJC, i was let down. and will be going back to Arai/Shoei next helmet.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 12:44 PM   #3
obed
TMGP Pimp

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

i thought about ordering one....let me know how you like it... though by then they will probably be sold out of the low price deal ...
Old 01-15-2012, 12:55 PM   #4
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

Quote:
Originally Posted by obed View Post
i thought about ordering one....let me know how you like it... though by then they will probably be sold out of the low price deal ...
I should have it tomorrow. I'll break it in with a run down Lime Creek tomorrow afternoon if I can finish work up on time and let you know.
The Problem - Endurance
Old 01-15-2012, 01:04 PM   #5
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
honestly coming from a top of the line Arai to a top of the line HJC, i was let down. and will be going back to Arai/Shoei next helmet.
Did you buy a Vemar, are are you referrencing buying an HJC versus Arai/Shoei? The reviews have been good with one note that it may feel heavy to some. I'm not real worried about the weight. There is also a note about smaller sizing. I am in between an XXL and XL in Shoei, so I went for an XXL Vemar. We will see how it fits.

I don't mind trying a new type helmet if the price is right. I tried an Icon...hated it and will never own one again.

I bought a Scorpion from Wild West on clearance for a trip to Californaio due to being in a rush and needing one fast. The Scorpion is OK, but doesn't fit my head exactly right. Strange as it sounds, it puts pressure on my ears. It will be a spare for others to use now or maybe a track day helmet since it is only 20 minute stints.

I grabbed a Suomy from Wild West on clearance and liked it alot, but not enough to buy another unless really aggressively priced.

I always go back to a Shoei X-11, Now I guess I should try the X-12, but they just are so expensive, it is hard for me to justify.

If this Vemar matches it's few reviews I have seen, and fits me well, I will go back and an order a second one. $230-$260 for a quality helmet seems very well priced to me. From what I can tell, Vemar isn't an ICON type or lower tier helmet. Not quite an Arai (but what is?). Not trying to off the Icon loyalist, just my opinion.

I will post up a review after a week or so of use.

Staton
The Problem - Endurance

Last edited by Tojo92; 01-15-2012 at 01:07 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:20 AM   #6
obed
TMGP Pimp

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

I clicked to ask how it went, but then I re-read your second post...
so look forward to hearing about the fit and feel in a few days...
Old 01-21-2012, 11:23 AM   #7
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

So the helmet arrived on time ( to MotorcycleGear.com (old Newenough.com)), but I have been swamped work wise.

The helmet came with a very nice helmet bag, and first impression in on on par with my Shoei X-11. Closer inspection showed a few very small imperfection in the finish. It looks similiar to those bug splats you get that don't quite go away. REALLY minor and I only looked at it with very picky eyes after reading a similiar comment review on line. It must just be part of the finish that comes with the brand. It is NOT a big deal at all.

Helmet has a manufacture tag that shows it was made in June of 2009. That doesn't seem unreasonable to me and I am sure it will be good for 5 years of use.

I ordered a size XXL as I am in between a XXL and XL in Shoei brand. The XXL has a snug fit, but not uncomfortable at all. The lining is very plush and I would say more comfortable than most other helmets I have owned. I have never owned an Arai though, just sayin...

I played with the shield and it is very straightforward to remove without any tools. I like that.

The liner is very nice and comfortable. I unsnapped some if the connections and it appears to be easy to remove and clean.

Vents are all over then helmet. I am not a huge fan of the air outlet on the back as it has some gaps around it, but again, not a major issue. The front air vent has a toggle that should be easy to operate with gloves on. I am not sure why they chose this mechanism over the normal switch type most helmets have on the vent themselves.

The weight is a non-issue from my trying it on feel, so to me it is just like any other helmet.

I am heading out on a couple hour ride to Marble Falls this afternoon. I'll post up the on bike feel of the helmet.

I am happy so far, I hope it continues. I even found another version of the Eclipse in my size on eBay that is new and only listed at $159. I am not a huge fan of the graphics, but it's not a deal killer. I'll try to order it as well if the ride proves this to be a comfortable helmet. It has all the safety designations you can earn, so I am good to go with it.

Here is the eBay link if anyone is interested,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130549599838...84.m1423.l2649
The Problem - Endurance
Old 01-21-2012, 07:21 PM   #8
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

Ok, just got back from a about a 150 mile ride.

Helmet had a little more wind noise than I would have liked to have experienced, but it wasn't terrible. I think the back "radiator" venting is partially to blame due to the gap. I compared it to my Shoei and sure enough, the Shoei has a much better fit on the rear vent. I wear ear plugs, so no biggie.

Overall comfort was great and vision was fine. It seemed better for when I looked over my shoulder. With the Shoei, the edge of my glasses mess with what I can see. With the Vemar, I can see a gap a little better.

Overall, I am very happy with the helmet. It is not better than m X-11, but it is a close second. Add in the price difference, especially with the deep discount, and it's a no brainer for me. I'm gonna order the one I linked above. of a good price, quality almost as good as Shoei.

I'd give Vemar a solid

Staton
The Problem - Endurance
Old 01-21-2012, 07:33 PM   #9
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

Few other things I just remembered. In like the position of the strap and snap to hold the end of the strap in place.

The visor doesn't have the slight crack open lever like a Shoei, so it opens to a stop that is very wide. It would be better with a Shoei type venting the shield option.

Second one is ordered with the goofy graphics. Figure I can wear it when being all hooligan like on the Duke.
The Problem - Endurance

Advertisement