MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2012, 03:55 AM   #41
Lil Sweet Pea

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2004 Yammi R1 (sold :-( ...)
2002 Yamaha R6 (sold)
Mosquito -2008 Hyosung GT250r (sold)
2000 F4i (wrecked 01)

Member Garage

Definitely a trip I would love to make... either the tail or skyway or any highways out that way. You just aren't living until you ride hills where you have a view and feel like your in heaven.
People are allowed their opinion and I take it all, kinda shows when to really go and how experienced you should be.
It would b an awesome trip to do as a group especially with the cabin idea.. keep it in mind for fall....
Lil Sweet Pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ever heard of Tail of the Dragon? 05yamahar1 General Discussion (Moto Related) 65 06-18-2013 11:32 AM
Ride to the Tail of the Dragon cuong-nutz Events, Meets and Rides 41 11-15-2011 12:00 PM
Riding the tail of the dragon! GABRIEL Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 7 06-28-2007 10:37 PM
Tail of the Dragon sawb02s General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 06-18-2006 09:21 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-13-2012, 08:30 AM   #42
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

I'd like to go one day. Be sure to check killboy's site for your pic
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:41 AM   #43
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr F. View Post
I saw a guy slide his motard into some trees, I wouldn't say "there are several accidents every day that cause traffic." Just seems like you didn't enjoy it and you're making it sound like it's so hard to ride and that no one will like it and that if you don't concentrate you're as good as dead, which is . Don't misunderstand any of what I've said as an insult or attack against you personally. Just throwing in my 2 cents. If it ain't your thing, it ain't your thing.
I don't want this to turn into a contest between us but I want to clarify.
I enjoyed the Dragons tail a lot but I see people that haven't been there speaking about it like it's a motorcycle mecca. I'm just trying to inject a dose of reality.

To be clear...
At times (like when I was there) it can be covered up with people and the popo presence can be thick. Weekdays too (sometimes, that's when I was there). There is little scenery on the tail of the dragon and you wouldn't have time to look at it, if there was. There are plenty of steel guardrails, dropoffs, trees and rock walls so mistakes can be harsh.
On the other hand it IS the twistiest paved road in North America AND has decent pavement. It's very intense and WILL be a fun ride.

By contrast there are other roads in the area that allow for a less intense riding experience with less traffic and fewer representatives of local courts, while providing places to pull off, take a break and enjoy the view.

I highly recommend making a trip to the area a priority. Explore the region without a map sometimes. Our experience was, even when we were lost the roads were excellent. Take time to ride from the "Gap" over to the Blueridge Parkway. It's got really nice pavment, sweeping turns, little traffic and beautiful views.
The Cherohala Skyway is 50 miles of open sweepers and nobody around. Every mile or 2 you can choose to stop at scenic overlooks and it ends in a nice little town of Tellico Plains where you can gas up and have lunch.

To summarize;
The Deals Gap area is awesome, you should go!
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:52 AM   #44
Mr F.
Throbbing Member

Bike(s):
- The bike I own
- All the bikes I used to own which I still list so everyone on the forums will know how cool I am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
I don't want this to turn into a contest between us but I want to clarify.
I enjoyed the Dragons tail a lot but I see people that haven't been there speaking about it like it's a motorcycle mecca. I'm just trying to inject a dose of reality.

To be clear...
At times (like when I was there) it can be covered up with people and the popo presence can be thick. Weekdays too (sometimes, that's when I was there). There is little scenery on the tail of the dragon and you wouldn't have time to look at it, if there was. There are plenty of steel guardrails, dropoffs, trees and rock walls so mistakes can be harsh.
On the other hand it IS the twistiest paved road in North America AND has decent pavement. It's very intense and WILL be a fun ride.

By contrast there are other roads in the area that allow for a less intense riding experience with less traffic and fewer representatives of local courts, while providing places to pull off, take a break and enjoy the view.

I highly recommend making a trip to the area a priority. Explore the region without a map sometimes. Our experience was, even when we were lost the roads were excellent. Take time to ride from the "Gap" over to the Blueridge Parkway. It's got really nice pavment, sweeping turns, little traffic and beautiful views.
The Cherohala Skyway is 50 miles of open sweepers and nobody around. Every mile or 2 you can choose to stop at scenic overlooks and it ends in a nice little town of Tellico Plains where you can gas up and have lunch.

To summarize;
The Deals Gap area is awesome, you should go!
See this I can agree with, the first two posts seemed a little harsh is all.
Mr F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:00 AM   #45
FJRmgm

Bike(s):
Yamaha FJR 1300
Honda CBR 954RR
Yamaha WR250R

go up to NW Arkansas and Southern Missouri and ride - it's a lot closer, scenery is just as good, people are nice and THE ROADS ARE FABULOUS.
FJRmgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:17 PM   #46
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

man, that was a fun trip for me. met up with some buddies along the way and we stayed (probably 8 or 9 total) at some KOA cabins in Tellico Plains. We had to take the Cherahoula (sp?) parkway to get to the Dragon, and while I did find that part more fun, it was all a blast, though the Dragon was something entirely different. Well under 50 the entire time (rarely even out of 1st gear) and scraping pegs all over the place. We rode once on Saturday, and then again on Monday before heading back, and I have to say that Monday was much preferred to the traffic of the weekend.

Of course, my first run through I got stuck behind a Sheriff (SUV in front of me in the attached pic), but gave me some time to at least take it slow and get a little familiar. It was good for me to be forced to go slow my first time thru.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dragon 11.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	52287   Click image for larger version

Name:	dragon 24.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	52288  
Old 01-13-2012, 03:27 PM   #47
UHcougarJohn

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2006 Fz6
KX125

I was there this past April. Got there on a Tuesday and Left on a Friday. The closer it got to the weekend the crazier it got. I suggest going during the week if you don't want to deal with traffic on the Dragon.

Tons of slow speed curves, don't think I ever made it passed 3rd gear on the Dragon

Also, +1 on staying off the yellow line through turns. 18 Wheelers run through a lot of those two lane highways out there and they are all over the yellow line in the curves.

You'll have so much fun you won't want to come back to Houston
UHcougarJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 01:37 PM   #48
Bigshankhank

Bike(s):
1972 Aermacchi Sprint SX350
1972 Honda CL175 K5
1978 Kawasaki KE100
1978 Kawasaki KE250
1970 Suzuki TC90

Quote:
Originally Posted by UHcougarJohn View Post
Also, +1 on staying off the yellow line through turns. 18 Wheelers run through a lot of those two lane highways out there and they are all over the yellow line in the curves.
This. I rode up there back in '06 on a 883 Sportster. Had a blast, made a couple passes up and down. Last pass I decided to slow down and enjoy the scenery, 18-wheeler coming the other way decided he needed my lane more than I did through a blind turn. Managed to miss the head on collision and instead hit his tandem axle, spent three months in a wheelchair. Went back in '07 on a Ducati to dispell the demons and rode Cherahola as well as Hwy 429 up near Johnson City. 429 is everything Deals Gap is but more of a local's hangout (less traffic) and only one cop patrolling on a CHIPs-era KZ1000. Well worth the couple hours ride to get up there.

All that being said, I am glad I have ridden Deal's Gap, but would probably never ride it again. As Bumblebee stated, there is a lot to love and a lot to hate about it. There is a tree hung with broken MC parts at the resort for a reason. I would rather spend the money on a trackday at Barbers.
Bigshankhank is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement