MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2006, 07:35 PM   #1
Rick H.I.C.
Got Surf? Snow? Track?

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
03' 600RR, 05' CR125, 88'NSR 250

For Ethnical Criers

Most Kona DUIs are young, white males

Laborer is most prevalent occupation in arrests

by Betsy Tranquilli
West Hawaii Today
btranquilli@westhawaiitoday.com
Thursday, November 30, 2006 8:40 AM HST

The construction boom in recent years has brought jobs and economic growth to West Hawaii, but it has apparently brought another impact to the area -- increased drunken driving.

The plurality of people arrested for driving under the influence come from the Kona district and are single white males between the ages of 21 and 25 who work as laborers, according to responses to a voluntary survey compiled by the island's Impaired Driving Task Force.

Since November 2005, surveys have been handed out to everyone taking the 14-hour drivers' education class mandated by the judiciary following a DUI arrest, according to task force coordinator Jackie Murai with the Hawaii County Police Traffic Enforcement Unit. Response to the survey was voluntary and anonymous. The survey was conducted islandwide.

Of 379 surveys completed between November 2005 and September 2006, 211 respondents, or 56 percent, came from the Kona district.

Respondents were predominantly male (80 percent), white (38 percent), single (59 percent), with 40 percent working as laborers.

Many reported being arrested between midnight and 2 a.m. (27 percent) after drinking at a bar (39 percent). Most respondents, 74 percent, said they were drinking beer.

The plurality had four to six drinks within two hours. Of those arrested, 65 percent said they knew they were driving while intoxicated and 15 percent had been arrested before for the same offense.

"It's a cultural thing here. When construction workers are pau at 3:30 p.m., they drink a six-pack before they even get started," said Lil Beaufrere, chairwoman of the Hawaii County Safety Council. "That's fine. Go have your fun and unwind, but we have to get through to them that they are havoc on the road and they are not safe. We need to do more hands-on work with companies here."

Murai said, as a result of the survey statistics, police want to do more outreach work with area construction companies and form a partnership to combat what is becoming a pervasive problem.

"We're going to be reaching out to construction companies and farmers to try and increase awareness," Murai said. "We're putting together flyers about the legal consequences to post at job sites and we're offering to do presentation to employees to go over the legal implications of drinking and driving. It is a liability for companies. If they lose their license for a DUI arrest, that impacts their job, their livelihood, their families and the whole community suffers."

While police plan to reach out to island laborers, they don't target them on the roads, and the results of the survey have little to do with where or when they set up DUI enforcement, said Kona Lt. Brad Ballesteros.

Because officers conduct roadblocks using federal grant money, they typically set up after shifts, around 7:30 p.m. or 11:30 p.m., Ballesteros said.

Police pick locations for enforcement based on visibility and safety, such as Kuakini Highway and Henry Street, not on the location of bars.

Regardless of statistical implications, Ballesteros said police don't pull people over based on being a white male of a certain age.

"We don't target anyone specifically. We target the drunks," Ballesteros said. "We take everyone, from all walks of life, if they've been drinking and driving."
Old 11-30-2006, 09:44 PM   #2
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to ArturoC Send a message via AIM to ArturoC Send a message via Yahoo to ArturoC Send a message via Skype™ to ArturoC
It's cuz they want the white man off their island(s).
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Sponsors: D&D - GoPro - Amsoil
ArturoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 10:57 PM   #3
loewer600
G-MAN

Bike(s):
'05 CBR600RR SOLD

Lol....thats funny ...go home white man...wait im white..WTF?
loewer600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 09:41 AM   #4
04RSVR
Professional Jack @ss

Bike(s):
BMW K1200 R Sport
Honda 305 Superhawk project bike
working on a motoped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick H.I.C.
Most Kona DUIs are young, white males

Laborer is most prevalent occupation in arrests

by Betsy Tranquilli
West Hawaii Today
btranquilli@westhawaiitoday.com
Thursday, November 30, 2006 8:40 AM HST

Regardless of statistical implications, Ballesteros said police don't pull people over based on being a white male of a certain age.

"We don't target anyone specifically. We target the drunks," Ballesteros said. "We take everyone, from all walks of life, if they've been drinking and driving."
BULL$HIT

OR

They may pull everyone over but the locals are let off with a "warning".

I lived in Hawaii for over 4 years, it's no secret that Haole are not welcome by many. After seeing what has happened to Oahu, I do not blame them. Oahu is ruined and the rest of the islands are rapidly going down the tubes.

"It is better to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow." -- Mann
04RSVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 02:06 PM   #5
Rick H.I.C.
Got Surf? Snow? Track?

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
03' 600RR, 05' CR125, 88'NSR 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04RSVR
BULL$HIT

OR

They may pull everyone over but the locals are let off with a "warning".

I lived in Hawaii for over 4 years, it's no secret that Haole are not welcome by many. After seeing what has happened to Oahu, I do not blame them. Oahu is ruined and the rest of the islands are rapidly going down the tubes.
That's the point. Blacks, Mexicans, etc. always ' about how their discriminated against. All depends on the situation, so to all the whiny criers get over yourselves.:icon_bigg

Advertisement