MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Vintage / Cafe Racers
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2012, 07:41 PM   #81
loosenoose
veteran novice

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

My dr uses 36mm forks. I appreciate ya, bro.
Interested to hear more about shortening my forks. If I could take 2 or 3 inches off the top and make them stiffer i'd be happy, and my project. Would be that much closer to done. Also, I'm cool with my stock front wheel. My concern was if I swap forks, I was hoping to avoid having to move to another wheel and front brake.
I'm pretty sold on getting some clipons. My clubman bar is awesome, but it doesn't work well with this front end.
loosenoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cafe build Seth8488 Vintage / Cafe Racers 4 11-04-2011 12:51 PM
Cafe racer darklineninja Vintage / Cafe Racers 13 08-31-2011 04:02 PM
Cafe opinion Counterculture General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 06-15-2010 06:40 PM
Custom Paint for my 919!! Old Skool Cafe Racer Style.. FlipSideUp General Discussion (Moto Related) 25 02-22-2009 08:38 PM
Cafe racer anyone? logan5 General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 10-08-2008 12:23 AM
Advertisement
Old 05-08-2012, 12:04 AM   #82
loosenoose
veteran novice

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

i have begun work on the official half assed seat mount!
i think i have mentioned that the frame is about 2 inches total narrower than the seat pan that i bought. it needs some creativity and elbow grease for this to work out.
so far i have a 1x4 with a wooden molding strip left over from some kitchen remodling bridging the gap between the frame rails in the seat area. i am beginning work on securing this to the frame with little angle brackets that will line up to a mount previously used for i think the side plastics. if this looks promising i might epoxy the seat pan onto the wood. drastic times call for ghetto fixes.
i really have no other idea of how to mount this any better. the mount kit i bought i guess is for a cb or xs or other more commonly cafe'd bike. i dont want any mounting hardware visible on the seat itself. idk.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:44 PM   #83
loosenoose
veteran novice

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

I measured my fork springs at exactly 2ft
Old 05-08-2012, 01:37 PM   #84
MotoMonkey
\m/[(>.<)]\m/

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2002 Honda 954
1989 Kawasaki ZX-7
1986 Suzuki GSXR750
2001 Ironhorse Tejas (sold)
1981 Suzuki GS750E (sold)

looking good so far, keep up the good work.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:05 AM   #85
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

I don't think I have anything that's 36mm. The clip-ons I've got are 39mm (had them on an '05 Sportster), and the short front end I've got I believe is 34mm ('82 kz305). I was looking at getting a set of 4" over fork tubes to raise the front end originally, so I was kind of hoping we'd be close enough that an even swap would get us both where we wanted to be, but it's never that straight-forward it seems. I've got a GS500 front end, but I think even that is 37mm.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:11 PM   #86
loosenoose
veteran novice

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

I was thinking with the gs500 forksi could maybe shoehorn them in or if that didn't work, get a shop to widen the fork holes in the triple clamp by 1mm.
Thinking has gotten me in trouble plenty of times before though, so i am a little hesitant.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:47 PM   #87
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

I think I've got the triple trees for those forks as well... I can take some measurements of the stem and see how close they'd be.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:44 PM   #88
loosenoose
veteran novice

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

how much would you want for the forks and triple tree?
also, do you have any pics of the sportster with clipons? im no fan of harley. but something is very right about seeing a nice harley with clipons
Old 05-11-2012, 11:51 PM   #89
loosenoose
veteran novice

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

oh, and i have re installed the engine and oil system.
something for those of you keeping up on this thread. this whole project has been done in bursts of productivity. i usually, almost always have my toddler with me while i work. i enjoy the company, and only rarely do i take a 17mm wrench to the head, or get stabbed with a screwdriver, but she's so cute that i can forget about the pain. lol. i'll have to post a good pic of her all greasy and in action. she loves to find little holes on the bike and put her finger into them. she looks at me and makes a sad little cry. her finger is never stuck, and shes never in any pain, but it is cute.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:29 AM   #90
loosenoose
veteran novice

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

while getting tank mounts made today, my dad punctured both sides of the oil tank that is at the top of my frame. he also attempted to fill in a cut on the shock mount that my friend had started, but i guess decided not to finish. when he began to fill it in, there was a burst of flames as we found out that the oil tank goes down the backbone, almost to the shock mount. we also found out that there was still a little oil left in the tank, bleh. my dad's going to pick up some gas tank epoxy and fill in those spots tomorrow. he's got them all patched up now, but the plan is to cover the welded areas to prevent any corrosion or leaks.
i also finally got around to coating the inside of the gas tank. i didnt know it would take as long as it did, and i hope it is good. there were 3 chemicals and a small can of the coating. in the steps for shaking the tank, i tied it up to my parent's atv and went for a ride for about 20 minutes. the gas tank did well, and the duct tape held better than i had expected. due to the labyrinthine innards of my gas tank, i couldnt get all of the water out, or all of the rust, but the coating seems to have done well.
also, my parents have a plum tree that has a ton of plums on it. i ate so many plums while driving the atv/dragging the tank in the field, that my next is going to be bright red.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:35 AM   #91
loosenoose
veteran novice

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

http://www.clevelandcyclewerks.com/b...nd-cyclewerks/ the cleveland cycleworks bike "tha misfit" keeps popping up in my head. ccw was on bike exif or somewhere recently because they dropped their chinese manufacturer for a plant in good ole cleveland. i guess they still use massaged lifan engines, but the bikes are made locally now. they look great considering all of the bikes in their lineup are right around $3000. they would even look great priced around 5k... but , i have almost $2000 in this build so far. i wish spent money could become tangible money. like in a game. save way back and then get over in the game and then load from an old save.
my dr seems closer than ever to completion. while it's at my parents house, im sure my dad will get bored and start working on it. he's a lot better at wiring than i am. im hoping he can get it wired up. after that, the only thing that has got to be done for the bike to run is an exhaust to be made.
at this point, with the oil tank fuckup, i feel like it is also closer than ever to being sold for scrap.
i had 2 cups of some strong coffee with dinner, so i'm still wired. everyone is asleep and i wish the bike was here. ugh.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:39 PM   #92
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

hey, haven't been on in a couple of days, but in answer to your questions...

I don't really know what I want for the forks, as I don't really know what condition they're in internally. Really I wouldn't mind having some longer forks for a project I've got in mind, so if you want to look at these and think they'll be serviceable, I'd be interested in a trade for your longer forks.

As for the Sporty, there was nothing "nice" about it. Picked it up after it was totaled for $700, fully finished I only had about $1800 in it, including registration. Went 2" over on replacement forks, 2" taller with rear shocks, mid mount pegs, open headers, bare minimum for wiring, etc. Stuck to the principles of "bobber" as much as possible, though I wanted something with some ground clearance. Pic:
IMG 20110120 202610
IMG 20110324 205757
554342 10101940509744790 7952394 76984901 1981297939 n
Old 05-14-2012, 08:07 PM   #93
loosenoose
veteran novice

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

dude. Looks amazing for a $1200 bike.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:10 AM   #94
loosenoose
veteran novice

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

so my dad epoxied the 3 holes he made in the oil tank. i pressure tested it and air still leaked out of the patches. he ground the new mess down and is starting over. i guess with another product. what he wound up using was some mighty putty type stuff. not sure of the exact brand, it did pretty good, but i'd be spilling oil all over my rear tire... not much of a problem, pretty minor, lol.

is this frame trash now? should i just begin parting the entire project out for ebay? i have about $2000 sunk into this project so far.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:43 AM   #95
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Why would the frame be trashed? I guess I don't understand what the issue is. Can the tank not be welded up? Is there a particular reason you couldn't do a remote tank, if the stock one can't be fixed?
Old 05-24-2012, 09:41 AM   #96
loosenoose
veteran novice

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

i guess i was overreacting. my dad says he can still fix it. he just hasnt had time to yet. he's got a gas welder, as well as the other one he used the first time. he says he will have to brase it. i have no idea how to weld. so this is all moon man talk to me.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:00 AM   #97
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

I was just curious, because it seems like worst-case scenario you just run an external oil tank like Harley's do. The DR's tank has such a low oil capacity anyway (think 800mL is what I read?) that it wouldn't need to be anything big, and you could tuck it back in under the battery.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:51 PM   #98
loosenoose
veteran novice

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

I think mine holds around 1200 ml.
youve got me thinking now of what i can do externally. maybe one of the various metal water bottles i have with a hole drilled in the cap and a tube inserted and sealed around the hole edge...
maybe convert a hip flask in a similar way.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:03 PM   #99
aznconquerer

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
1992 Honda VFR750 street fighter
1986 Yamaha FZ600 project bike

Going great with the build keep it up so we can ride hehe
aznconquerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:43 PM   #100
loosenoose
veteran novice

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

Lol. i want to ride anything at this point. a hello kitty'd Chinese vespa would even be ok

Advertisement