MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2011, 04:32 PM   #1
Danurse
Squid pro-quo

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2003 SV1000-N
Haro ICS 4.0 moutain bike :/

The only reason I hate the holidays..

The reason is the holiday shopping traffic. Every cager is even more preoccupied than usual. My case in point...I decide to go for a nice ride yesterday since the weather is just about as good as it gets. I gear up, start on my journey and onto Voss going north maybe going a tick over posted in the far left lane and no traffic in front or behind, so I think cool, no traffic.. Bonus!
Well, that thought was short lived as a SUV pulls out of a Kroger parking lot from the right about 20-25 yards ahead of me , looking in my direction and obviously not seeing me, continues to cross two and half lanes..so I pucker, clutch, front brake until it started to chirp, then a little rear brake..curb on the left, she was coming in from the right.. I'm thinking oh sh**, this is gonna hurt...Luckily, she finally see's my headlight, on high-beam no less, and slams her brakes which gives me enough space to come to a stop just in front of her in the median/turning lane..2 feet from her front bumper! She started apologizing profusely and of course saying..(all together now class).."I didn't see you!!"
I kinda took it easy on her(as she was not talking a phone) and told her to pay better attention so she doesn't make the mistake of killing or severely injuring someone and having bearing that burden for the rest of her life, and to have a merry freaking Christmas!
The moral of this story is to never let your guard down, even when it looks like the coast is clear, don't panic when you have to make evasive/emergency maneuvers...and whenever possible, be a gentleman.
Danurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another reason to hate Dallas and their sport bike riders. eltejano General Discussion (Moto Related) 124 06-06-2010 10:20 PM
bigscreen crackdown. another reason to hate CA craigntx Off Topic 2 11-19-2009 07:36 AM
Another reason to hate Democrats Buck Beasley The Circus 27 10-31-2009 01:04 AM
family makes me want to scream...or another reason i hate holidays v4lu3s Off Topic 17 12-16-2008 07:45 PM
just in time for the holidays.... SVmike Off Topic 1 12-19-2006 06:55 PM
Advertisement
Old 12-19-2011, 04:36 PM   #2
ecclissiass

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2009 Yamaha YZF-R1 (stolen)
2005 Honda CBR600RR (traded)
1993 Honda CBR900RR (wrecked)
2012 Kawasaki ZX-14R
Ducati Diavel (dream bike #2)

Member Garage

Quick question, Is it me or do more SUVs pull out into the middle lane of traffic instead of the immediate lane to the right when coming out of a parking lot onto traffic? I've seen more close calls then I can count when that happens. And, I might add, they usually seem to be more of the feminine nature. I'm just saying because when I ride I am usually always in the middle or left lane. Who knows are cares right? Lol!
Old 12-19-2011, 04:36 PM   #3
hjl47

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
05 r6

word. just my .02, but if you want to decrease braking distance, i believe its supposed to be rear brake first, then front. the way you did it, w/ fronts already chirping, applying the rear brake would not help w/ braking, as your back tire is already unloaded. load the back first by applying rear brake first, then front to take the brunt of the braking forces. im sure some track day experts will chime in.

but anyways, good thing u didnt end up on her hood.
hjl47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 04:47 PM   #4
Renzo
I do not consent

Feedback Rating: (13)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
r6

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjl47 View Post
word. just my .02, but if you want to decrease braking distance, i believe its supposed to be rear brake first, then front. the way you did it, w/ fronts already chirping, applying the rear brake would not help w/ braking, as your back tire is already unloaded. load the back first by applying rear brake first, then front to take the brunt of the braking forces. im sure some track day experts will chime in.

No, but really. Remember you are a ninja, they never see you
Old 12-19-2011, 04:54 PM   #5
tamucc2004

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
06 636, 06 DRZ400SM, 03 YZ 450 Motard, 07 Kawi Mean Streak, 08 Honda 50

No never touch your back first always your front.

And I totally feel your pain. Has happened to me at least once a week the past month on Westheimer. Hit one guy. Lucky on the motard hurt him more than me. But screw them all. Second time I avoided a collision but think the guy in the Range Rover next to me his pants. Both times full size vehicles were next to me so there was no I didnt see you excuse to be used. Just a I a selfish hole thug that doesnt care about your life. In my case both times were thugs. One guy paid the other I thought real hard about breaking on his car when he got caught at the light but thought twice.

CMRA Novice #484
tamucc2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 04:57 PM   #6
yumbeef
beef eater

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
08 ninja 250r
06 cbr600rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecclissiass View Post
Quick question, Is it me or do more SUVs pull out into the middle lane of traffic instead of the immediate lane to the right when coming out of a parking lot onto traffic? I've seen more close calls then I can count when that happens. And, I might add, they usually seem to be more of the feminine nature. I'm just saying because when I ride I am usually always in the middle or left lane. Who knows are cares right? Lol!
seems females like operating large vehicles beyond their skill range for the sake of "safety" or day to day practicality, which only puts everyone else at risk and increases their chance of hitting something.
yumbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:26 PM   #7
Danurse
Squid pro-quo

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2003 SV1000-N
Haro ICS 4.0 moutain bike :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjl47 View Post

I usually apply both front and rear simultaneously under emergent hard breaking but in this instance,
I completely missed the rear brake lever due to the extremely high pucker factor!
Danurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:45 PM   #8
del240z
MH's #1 HOBO

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
None at the moment..... :-(

When braking, use both for 100% effectiveness....

Front has 70% braking power and rear has 30%....

If you keep looking in the pantry and finding out its empty, eventually you go to a restaurant.
del240z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:08 PM   #9
lucydad

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2012 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2007 Kawasaki EX 500
1971 Honda 175 Scrambler
1967 Honda Mini Trail 50
1966 Honda Super 90

Great responses, all around: congratulations!
lucydad is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement