MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2011, 10:45 AM   #41
Snow
Can I kick it?

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Sick 7-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr F. View Post
That guys is dumb, and lane splitting is retarded. That's like when there's someone trying to make a right at a stop light, and there's one car ahead of them, so they try to squeeze in instead of waiting a minute or two... You're not any more important that anyone else, so shut the up and wait.
It's not about importance. It is about space and whether or not you can. When it comes to lane splitting, it helps traffic too.

When you're fully geared on an overheating bike in the middle of summer in Houston traffic, something tells me you'll change your tune.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BW8 lane filtering/splitting pics, bumpy ride on lane dividers urbanXJ General Discussion (Moto Related) 96 06-30-2016 12:29 PM
Share the lane (lane splitting is not a crime) stickers SideVinder650 General Discussion (Moto Related) 32 08-07-2014 08:30 AM
TX Bill for lane splitting goes to committee (yes, another lane splitting thread) exalted512 General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 04-14-2011 05:35 PM
Lane-Sharing lane-splitting, white-lining or filtering NoFear General Discussion (Moto Related) 165 08-14-2008 03:30 PM
lane splitting ImG General Discussion (Moto Related) 30 08-30-2005 11:28 AM
Advertisement
Old 12-15-2011, 10:46 AM   #42
Mr F.
Throbbing Member

Bike(s):
- The bike I own
- All the bikes I used to own which I still list so everyone on the forums will know how cool I am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkgsxr View Post
Ride however you like fml
I'm all for this, but if you do this, and then something happens to it, don't expect sympathy when you come to the forums crying about "stupid cagers."
Mr F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:47 AM   #43
Mr F.
Throbbing Member

Bike(s):
- The bike I own
- All the bikes I used to own which I still list so everyone on the forums will know how cool I am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
thats call filtering and is also legal in CA and done throughtout the world

if first car is going straight, whats the harm of bike moving forward and turning or even going straight as long as you get by and ahead of 1st car quickly.

and back to even if it becomes law, doesn't mean you don't have to do it.
The harm is that people are stupid. It's an added risk, if you're willing to take it great, but accept all the stupidity that comes along with it.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:49 AM   #44
Ulric
Dirty Old

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
That guys is dumb, and lane splitting is retarded. That's like when there's someone trying to make a right at a stop light, and there's one car ahead of them, so they try to squeeze in instead of waiting a minute or two... You're not any more important that anyone else, so shut the up and wait.
Gee that was an intelligent and deep comment that obviously pushed your mental faculties to their limits.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:51 AM   #45
Mr F.
Throbbing Member

Bike(s):
- The bike I own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow View Post
It's not about importance. It is about space and whether or not you can. When it comes to lane splitting, it helps traffic too.

When you're fully geared on an overheating bike in the middle of summer in Houston traffic, something tells me you'll change your tune.
I guess it's about preference, because I'd rather be a little hot in my leathers than a stain in the road.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:52 AM   #46
Mr F.
Throbbing Member

Bike(s):
- The bike I own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
Gee that was an intelligent and deep comment that obviously pushed your mental faculties to their limits.
I aim to try.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:59 AM   #47
yumbeef
beef eater

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
08 ninja 250r
06 cbr600rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow View Post

i'm all for moving as many vehicles forward as fast as possible. i.e. left lane passing only. gtfo if you're not passing, especially if someone is behind you wanting to pass. not your job to regulate speed of others in traffic; you're just a big traffic problem.
yumbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:41 PM   #48
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL
2013 Triumph Trophy SE (sold)
2009 Harley-Davidson Road Glide(sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1300T (sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1100 (sold)

Send a message via Yahoo to honorsdaddy
Quote:
Depending on the circumstances, lane splitting is smart.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:01 PM   #49
Mr F.
Throbbing Member

Bike(s):
- The bike I own

Quote:
Originally Posted by honorsdaddy View Post
Depending on the circumstances, lane splitting is smart.
I agree that in certain situations it can be the more sensible choice. To get a couple of cars ahead of an angry tailgating driver for example, but "filtering" through miles and miles of off drivers is, in my opinion, extremely foolish.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:07 PM   #50
Nightster Ridester
Holmes Hot Rods & Cycles

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
1975 Harley Ironhead

Member Garage

I like how everybody says lane splitting helps move traffic along faster, really? Your one motorcycle lane splitting is going to help 200 other cars in a traffic jam move along faster? That's funny, if that was true I'd pay the first motorcycle I see in traffic to start lane splitting. Oh yes, 1 motorcycle guy is lane splitting, everybody get ready to magically start hauling in your cars. And I also think how funny it is that when a mc goes down its somehow alwaysssssss a cagers fault. That excuse is getting old.....

-Harley Davidson is The Original Gangster
Nightster Ridester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 01:10 PM   #51
yumbeef
beef eater

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
08 ninja 250r
06 cbr600rr

every little bit helps.
yumbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 01:24 PM   #52
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

1 bike in line takes the space of 1-2 to 1 full car, in a stop light situation that's 2 cars at least that can make the light that might not have before....

it can add up over time.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:30 PM   #53
Rael
Communist Plant

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
'12 Griso 8v
'13 Wr250r

I'd wager that if lane splitting were law you'd see a lot more people riding in cities. More riders would equal a greater positive effect on traffic.

It is obvious that if you're riding stupidly, as the guy in the clip was, you'll probably pay for it.
Rael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 01:38 PM   #54
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL
2013 Triumph Trophy SE (sold)
2009 Harley-Davidson Road Glide(sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1300T (sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1100 (sold)

Send a message via Yahoo to honorsdaddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightster Ridester View Post
I like how everybody says lane splitting helps move traffic along faster, really? Your one motorcycle lane splitting is going to help 200 other cars in a traffic jam move along faster? That's funny, if that was true I'd pay the first motorcycle I see in traffic to start lane splitting. Oh yes, 1 motorcycle guy is lane splitting, everybody get ready to magically start hauling in your cars. And I also think how funny it is that when a mc goes down its somehow alwaysssssss a cagers fault. That excuse is getting old.....
It does help traffic move faster - quite a bit in fact. Ulric detailed it for you. Keep in mind that when a cager actually does have his head out of his and notices us, he gives us the same space as a car. While it may not dramatically improve it, it does add some improvement - and even if it only benefits the rider, so what? The rider is using far less fuel, making a far lower impact on the future needs of road maintenance. Why should he not gain the benefit of getting to his destination sooner?

It also increases the safety of a competent rider by removing him from the stop and go equation.

Incidentally, yes, in accidents involving a bike and a car, it is almost always the car's fault. That isn't exactly news either.

Are you interested in learning anything, or do you insist upon holding onto your ignorance like a talisman?

Last edited by honorsdaddy; 12-15-2011 at 01:42 PM.
honorsdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 01:57 PM   #55
kibitzer
Donkey punch 2 the soul

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2007 CBR600RR
02 XR100(tarded)
07 CRF50 (mini tard)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel View Post
2 hour drive at 120 is only an hour.
I agree with your post, but found this amusing.

For the people that oppose lane splitting based on stupid drivers, perhaps something should be done about the stupid drivers? For too long now we've seen the effects in this country of continuously regulating behavior to account for the lowest common denominator. We complain about it here all the time. Stop opposing beneficial acts to accommodate the dummies.
kibitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 02:02 PM   #56
obed
TMGP Pimp

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

lane splitting used to be legal in Texas, 40 years or so ago..
I used to get that I could lane split leaving the washburn tunnel on federal road, but would get a ticket if i slid up the side to RR tracks...
I preferred going up the side because fewer people cussed at me doing that than if I rode up the middle between the cars... and every once in awhile some would see me coming and open his car door...
we used to get caught at the tracks and have to set there for a long time.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:35 PM   #57
Mr F.
Throbbing Member

Bike(s):
- The bike I own

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibitzer View Post
I agree with your post, but found this amusing.

For the people that oppose lane splitting based on stupid drivers, perhaps something should be done about the stupid drivers? For too long now we've seen the effects in this country of continuously regulating behavior to account for the lowest common denominator. We complain about it here all the time. Stop opposing beneficial acts to accommodate the dummies.
Who's opposing it, and what exactly do you suggest we do about the stupid drivers? Whatever it is, realistically it will never happen. Good driver or not everyone gets complacent and minds wander. will always happen. If you want to lane split good for you, in my eyes, it's stupid. I think a lot of things are stupid and people still do them. The world keeps on turning...
Old 12-15-2011, 03:06 PM   #58
kibitzer
Donkey punch 2 the soul

Bike(s):
2007 CBR600RR
02 XR100(tarded)
07 CRF50 (mini tard)

Quote:
Who's opposing it, and what exactly do you suggest we do about the stupid drivers? Whatever it is, realistically it will never happen...
Yet, realistically, doing nothing about it will be what actually never solves the problem.
kibitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 03:07 PM   #59
Mr F.
Throbbing Member

Bike(s):
- The bike I own

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibitzer View Post
Yet, realistically, doing nothing about it will be what actually never solves the problem.
then what?
Old 12-15-2011, 03:08 PM   #60
kibitzer
Donkey punch 2 the soul

Bike(s):
2007 CBR600RR
02 XR100(tarded)
07 CRF50 (mini tard)