MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2011, 05:23 PM   #21
Nightster Ridester
Holmes Hot Rods & Cycles

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
1975 Harley Ironhead

Member Garage

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH OWNED!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Harley Davidson is The Original Gangster
Nightster Ridester is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BW8 lane filtering/splitting pics, bumpy ride on lane dividers urbanXJ General Discussion (Moto Related) 96 06-30-2016 12:29 PM
Share the lane (lane splitting is not a crime) stickers SideVinder650 General Discussion (Moto Related) 32 08-07-2014 08:30 AM
TX Bill for lane splitting goes to committee (yes, another lane splitting thread) exalted512 General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 04-14-2011 05:35 PM
Lane-Sharing lane-splitting, white-lining or filtering NoFear General Discussion (Moto Related) 165 08-14-2008 03:30 PM
lane splitting ImG General Discussion (Moto Related) 30 08-30-2005 11:28 AM
Advertisement
Old 12-14-2011, 05:27 PM   #22
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL
2013 Triumph Trophy SE (sold)
2009 Harley-Davidson Road Glide(sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1300T (sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1100 (sold)

Send a message via Yahoo to honorsdaddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightster Ridester View Post
I do realize this and thats why there are millions of videos of this exact thing, just cause the world does it doesnt mean it needs to be the way here and that its safe. Germany has the autobahn, should that mean we should drive 120mph + here in the states legally?
Why not? Our interstates were designed to enable over the road trucks in the 50's to move goods at high speeds.

I'm absolutely positive even the most technologically retarded car built in the past 20 years is light years ahead of the trucks for which the roads were designed.

There is nothing inherently unsafe about 120+ speeds. NOTHING. The problem in the US is our drivers...they seem to think they can get behind the controls of a 2-ton land-bound missile and switch off the brain.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:28 PM   #23
hotcknstrips
Bevo's royal guard.

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
09 Buell 1125CR

Cager's fault, but most importantly, rider's fault, he was trying to win the race and lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Weird Lady
Mucus Membrane!
hotcknstrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 05:31 PM   #24
Nightster Ridester
Holmes Hot Rods & Cycles

Bike(s):
1975 Harley Ironhead

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by honorsdaddy View Post
Why not? Our interstates were designed to enable over the road trucks in the 50's to move goods at high speeds.

I'm absolutely positive even the most technologically retarded car built in the past 20 years is light years ahead of the trucks for which the roads were designed.

There is nothing inherently unsafe about 120+ speeds. NOTHING. The problem in the US is our drivers...they seem to think they can get behind the controls of a 2-ton land-bound missile and switch off the brain.
Nothing Unsafe at 120+mph? Braking Distance, Tire traction, momentum when changing Lanes, Being able to see ahead enough to warn you, animals on road, debris on road etc etc. All these are reason why traveling 120+mph is unsafe. That was just 3 seconds of thinking about it

-Harley Davidson is The Original Gangster
Nightster Ridester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 05:44 PM   #25
Colonel
Big Blu

Bike(s):
BMW s1000rr

In Germany we drive over 120, it's been that way for forever. Of course we have laws that state change in speed for different areas and of course you can't do that residentially. But in areas it's deemed safe, speeding is awesome!!

It's nice to get somewhere in a hurry and getting a job far away makes life bare able!
2 hour drive at 120 is only an hour.

Lane splitting should be legal, but if not drive at your own risk!
Old 12-14-2011, 06:11 PM   #26
DAT GUY

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
95 Sportster 1200

Quote:
MEXICO!!!!! listen to him growl before he goes down lol
Motorcycle Crash - YouTube
guy in the truck appears to have been using his blinker too... and the motorcyclist has the nerve to call the fellow in the truck a Mother F lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotcknstrips View Post
Cager's fault, but most importantly, rider's fault, he was trying to win the race and lost.
DAT GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:15 PM   #27
Ulric
Dirty Old

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:

And want to add that the van in the video could have been responding to a situation on the other side of it and reacted safely to avoid an accident and got in another due to a rider lane splitting and driving where he shouldn't have.
If you paid attention to the video, the van was moving over due to vehicles parked on the left side of the curb...the rider failed to see it and adjust accordingly.

Further LEGAL lane splitting does not involve high speeds...
Old 12-14-2011, 06:20 PM   #28
CraigRR
CMRA # 147

Bike(s):
2009 Honda CBR 1000RR ABS
2011 EX250NinjaR
2001 Yamaha TTR-L (sold to Jimrad)
2015 KTM RC 390 CUP

I grew up in California where lane splitting is legal. I do my best not to do it here. If the traffic is stopped I sometimes lane split ( I know it people off ) and clear myself of traffic. It is dangerous, and you could easily end up in a bind while traveling at highway speeds. That is why I do my best not to. It isin't a race, and I like my bike the way it is.
CraigRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:34 PM   #29
Rykoson
Brawp Brawp!

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
www.shortfilmproductions.org
2009 YZF-R6-Rest in Peace
2011 ZX-6R Kawasaki Ninja-Track/Street

Member Garage

+1

Please read the Law. It's for low speeds... Write em now. Since Tx only meets every two years the bill may have to be reintroduced..

Anyways... Same ol argument!!!

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...lane+splitting
STREET SCHOLARS PRODUCTIONS-Hookit
Rykoson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:50 PM   #30
jimrad
Moderate pace forever .

Trackdays: 7

IMO..All of them were easily avoidable ..except the door opening...
jimrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:42 PM   #31
Bart
Thread killer

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2005 R6
'06 Suzuki Katana 750 (destroyed)

I'd love to see something like an autobahn. Imagine a "no speed limits" road running alongside another "speed-limited" route, like I-10 (outside the big city). It'd be mostly bikes (whatcha bet?) - and probably part of every Sunday ride. Me likey. Drive/ride at your own risk; if you want slow and safe just stay on the original highway with everyone else.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:59 PM   #32
mkgsxr
Banned

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
07 GSXR 600 "TRACK "
03 XR70 PIT

User is banned

mkgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:12 PM   #33
Rael
Communist Plant

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
'12 Griso 8v
'13 Wr250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart View Post
I'd love to see something like an autobahn. Imagine a "no speed limits" road running alongside another "speed-limited" route, like I-10 (outside the big city). It'd be mostly bikes (whatcha bet?) - and probably part of every Sunday ride. Me likey. Drive/ride at your own risk; if you want slow and safe just stay on the original highway with everyone else.
I'd love to see Autobahn style roads when we have German style licensing fees and tests.
Rael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:21 PM   #34
yumbeef
beef eater

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
08 ninja 250r
06 cbr600rr

fun stuff when folks block the left lane in houston. all other lanes going 70, some douche bag is going 70 or less in the left lane with no one in front of him.
yumbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:41 AM   #35
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL
2013 Triumph Trophy SE (sold)
2009 Harley-Davidson Road Glide(sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1300T (sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1100 (sold)

Send a message via Yahoo to honorsdaddy
Quote:
Nothing Unsafe at 120+mph? Braking Distance, Tire traction, momentum when changing Lanes, Being able to see ahead enough to warn you, animals on road, debris on road etc etc. All these are reason why traveling 120+mph is unsafe. That was just 3 seconds of thinking about it
Braking distance for a modern car moving at 120mph is ~300 feet.

Braking distance for a fully loaded modern truck moving at 60mph is about the same. That's a MODERN truck mind you - not a 1950s design with drum brakes...

Tire technology has improved exponentially.

Momentum? Modern cars are far lighter.

Sight distances? Once again, the roads were designed to be safe for 1950s level truck technology and took the required distances into account.

The speed itself is perfectly safe. This was actually tested a total of 5 different times by the NHTSA and at least twice by AAA back when 55mph was the national speed limit. The NHTSA kept trying to come up with a study where the results indicated higher speeds were inherently unsafe. Every SINGLE study came to the same conclusion - the problem is not higher speeds, but speed differential. In other words, if Americans would actually learn how to drive, rather than operate a motor vehicle, and exercised something resembling lane discipline, there is no reason why you could not safely drive at triple digits on the interstates.

Incidentally, Montana has no day time speed limit on the interstates, and many western areas have limits of 80 or above. Even Texas permits 80mph in the more desolate sections, and as anyone who has ever had the misfortune to be on I-10 out west knows, DPS pretty much ignores you if you keep in your lane and keep it in a straight line...even when you're doing 120.

Just because YOU are afraid of the speed, do not assume the rest of us are. I'm far more comfortable at 80-100 in my cage than I am at 60. Sixty puts me to sleep. If my bike could actually DO 120, I'd be happy with that too.

Last edited by honorsdaddy; 12-15-2011 at 09:43 AM.
honorsdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:53 AM   #36
Joshua42007

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
06' GSX-R 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by yumbeef View Post
fun stuff when folks block the left lane in houston. all other lanes going 70, some douche bag is going 70 or less in the left lane with no one in front of him.
That really grinds my gears.
Joshua42007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:25 AM   #37
Snow
Can I kick it?

Bike(s):
Sick 7-5

Interesting to see a motorcycle rider say lane splitting is "dangerous," while posting videos of crashes that occurred while lane splitting, as if "proof" that it should not be allowed.

I can produce FAR more videos of people slaughtering themselves just plain riding motorcycles if that is supposed to prove a point.

Guess it is time to outlaw motorcycles.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:35 AM   #38
yumbeef
beef eater

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
08 ninja 250r
06 cbr600rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by honorsdaddy View Post
... Every SINGLE study came to the same conclusion - the problem is not higher speeds, but speed differential. In other words, if Americans would actually learn how to drive, rather than operate a motor vehicle, and exercised something resembling lane discipline, there is no reason why you could not safely drive at triple digits on the interstates.

Incidentally, Montana has no day time speed limit on the interstates, and many western areas have limits of 80 or above. Even Texas permits 80mph in the more desolate sections, and as anyone who has ever had the misfortune to be on I-10 out west knows, DPS pretty much ignores you if you keep in your lane and keep it in a straight line...even when you're doing 120.
wrd. if a brick wall is moving in the same direction and speed as you, there is absolutely no way you'l run into it and die. it is a completely different story when you have a douche bag going 10-20 mph slower than the rest of traffic cutting across all lanes of traffic to take an exit. imo, houston driving isn't set up for really high speeds in some parts, because we have a bunch of left exits off highways. i.e. i10 heading east before down town, both the 45north and 45 south exits are on the left of i10. you're bound to have someone slow in the left lane just because of the exits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua42007 View Post
That really grinds my gears.
wrd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow View Post
Interesting to see a motorcycle rider say lane splitting is "dangerous," while posting videos of crashes that occurred while lane splitting, as if "proof" that it should not be allowed.

I can produce FAR more videos of people slaughtering themselves just plain riding motorcycles if that is supposed to prove a point.

Guess it is time to outlaw motorcycles.
lets ban birth. birth leads to a 100% chance of death

Last edited by yumbeef; 12-15-2011 at 10:38 AM.
yumbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:41 AM   #39
Mr F.
Throbbing Member

Bike(s):
- The bike I own
- All the bikes I used to own which I still list so everyone on the forums will know how cool I am

That guys is dumb, and lane splitting is retarded. That's like when there's someone trying to make a right at a stop light, and there's one car ahead of them, so they try to squeeze in instead of waiting a minute or two... You're not any more important that anyone else, so shut the up and wait.
Mr F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:44 AM   #40
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr F. View Post
That guys is dumb, and lane splitting is retarded. That's like when there's someone trying to make a right at a stop light, and there's one car ahead of them, so they try to squeeze in instead of waiting a minute or two... You're not any more important that anyone else, so shut the up and wait.
thats call filtering and is also legal in CA and done throughtout the world

if first car is going straight, whats the harm of bike moving forward and turning or even going straight as long as you get by and ahead of 1st car quickly.

and back to even if it becomes law, doesn't mean you don't have to do it.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote

Advertisement