MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track > Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2011, 04:58 AM   #1
obed
TMGP Pimp

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

kx65 hard to ride?

as some of you already know I am looking to get a bike for minigp racing next season and the two seemingly most popular are the crf100 and the kx65. when I listen to what the guys are saying I hear several of them saying the kx65 is a good bike but that it is harder to ride. If that is so, why is it? those of you have experience in this area and know please give me what you consider the reason for this.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how hard is it to ride again? Infinite General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 02-20-2012 12:13 AM
Hard To Believe No One Organized a Forest Ride For 1/29??? novajess1972 Events, Meets and Rides 7 01-30-2011 09:28 AM
Duc Hard to ride? calvinZx14 General Discussion (Moto Related) 37 07-07-2009 09:57 AM
Advertisement
Old 12-10-2011, 07:54 AM   #2
Jason_Canuck

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
A black one
and a red one

You have to keep it in the powerband or else its a dog.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:59 AM   #3
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Bike(s):
lots of em

depends on which one ya get, there is a highly modded one that pops up for sale in the classifieds here, its a little beast.

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:59 AM   #4
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

It all has to do with power delivery. The four stroke is smooth and predictable. The two stroke has to be "on the pipe" or "in the powerband" to make it go. A four stroke is also a little more forgiving of improper gear selection as you can usually lug it along anyhow. It's been a while since I've ridden either one, but the XR probably has a more comfortable chassis as well.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:07 AM   #5
TomballD

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
DR350
XR50
TDub-200
XR100-Tarded
1981 XR80

The 65 is also smaller and harder on the knees and back especially for longer races and OLDER guys
TomballD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:29 AM   #6
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2003 Honda CRF450R motard
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetcycles View Post
It all has to do with power delivery. The four stroke is smooth and predictable. The two stroke has to be "on the pipe" or "in the powerband" to make it go. A four stroke is also a little more forgiving of improper gear selection as you can usually lug it along anyhow. It's been a while since I've ridden either one, but the XR probably has a more comfortable chassis as well.
Bingo. I had a ktm65 briefly. I enjoyed my tmgp xr/crf 100 much better. I will say that few a friends who switched to kx65s said they hated the two stroke at first, until they worked on learning how to ride them properly; then they loved them.

I have had two smoke dirt biked, I just prefer the larger size and power delivery of a four stroke for a tmgp scenario.
CMRA#665 (neighbor of the beast)
The Problem - Endurance
Tojo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 12:30 PM   #7
rob78
. . . . . . . . .

Feedback Rating: (10)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Late Model Never-Was

there's a few tricks that they do to make the 65 easier to ride by making the powerband not so peaky and smooth, been wanting to ride one that is set-up to see what the difference is

personally I like the 4-storke's but that probably due to the fact that I haven't ridden the 2strokers enough to learn how to ride it properly. from a beginner's stand point I think it would be harder to ride a 2stroke in the beginning

I will say that if you go into a corner and your not in the powerband and you hit the powerband leaned over.........hold on and hope for the best, lol
TMGP #78
Team I Just Wanna Ride #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastynesto85 View Post
go ahead and cry so I can use the tears as lubrication to stick it in you
rob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:19 AM   #8
BlackWidow
The Doctor

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
A Ducati
A KaToom
Several Yamahas...
Some Kawis
No HONDAS! ;)

Send a message via AIM to BlackWidow
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob78 View Post
there's a few tricks that they do to make the 65 easier to ride by making the powerband not so peaky and smooth, been wanting to ride one that is set-up to see what the difference is

personally I like the 4-storke's but that probably due to the fact that I haven't ridden the 2strokers enough to learn how to ride it properly. from a beginner's stand point I think it would be harder to ride a 2stroke in the beginning

I will say that if you go into a corner and your not in the powerband and you hit the powerband leaned over.........hold on and hope for the best, lol
Very well said. In my experience as both a Novice Champion 2008-09 on a CRF100 and a KX65, going from the laid back CRF100 and making the transition to the KX65 I HATED it first! But over the hours (endurance races this is what I think the KX65 has to offer that the CRF can't/or does'nt to a great extent).

- More closer to "big bike" experience considering how your literally dragging knees every corner, specially through Katy's T5 all the way T7 (big one drag...) . I felt the Power Band (once you get into it felt more like a big bike and has enough grunt to throw you off if your careless, so to master it was challenging and both fun!
- The sitting position being lower - to be made it more of an "endurance/fitness" challenge. I once did a 4 hour straight stint on a CRF100 (had to take a mandatory pit stop with helmet off for water - finished 1st). When I tried doing the same on the KX65, I don't think I made it past 1:45 (we ran an endurance gas tank, but my knees gave out and I was truly challenged! - my team mate at the time Damon Harvey however even at 6 feet 4 inches rode the thing for the remaining 2 hours and 12-13 minutes! STRAIGHT with just one quick gas splash stop) - finished first as well.
- A KX65 with a build/bored motor to 74.9ccs with an Ohlins suspension is as close an experience to a big bike "mini" - if i may so say so... You have the POWER, which you have to respect... with the CRF100 (F7) you are usually T.W.O and not much power to worry about with wheelies or a "thrill" excitement of danger that you get from bike bikes.
- I also think the KX65 has more third party aftermarket support than the CRF100s (opinion made after going through 4 F7 XR/CRF100 bikes & 4 F5 KX/LEM65 bikes)...

In my opinion a big reason why a lot of us do Mini SuperMotos is becuase we want to have the feeling/practice/rush of a big bike on the track with out having to pay for it in damages to bike, body, bank... And IMHO (A KX65 bored to the max legal at 14-16HP with Ohlins suspension is the BEST way to go...)

I miss & regret not having time to ride my LCS Racing Tuned KX65 (74.9cc) in 2012 :(. Unfortunately after investing over $6000 in it I will be selling it shortly :(. All you guys still racing in TMGP are lucky and I'm jealous and miss you guys!

It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal...
BlackWidow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:38 AM   #9
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

KX is the way to go! Mo Betta Powah! Mo Betta Fun!
FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:50 PM   #10
switch
two fifty

Experience: 4 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godsuki View Post
KX is the way to go! Mo Betta Powah! Mo Betta Fun!
Fastline mini endurance team? just sayin'
CMRA #250
"Me? I stand for uncertainty, insecurity, bad taste, fun, and things that go boom in the night."
switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:32 PM   #11
GABRIEL

A 65 is way harder to ride. Very uncomfortable. I could do sprints on it all day but it is hard to get bast your first 15min if you are riding it in endurance. If you are off the pipe then it is a and you need to learn to stay in it or slip the clutch and keep the rev's up. Fun bike especialy when you have a fresh topend.

Xr/CRF100 is the way I would recomend you go. For comfort and affordability. You can carry the same corner speeds as the 65s but they will out power you everywhere else.

Mr.P and I had planded to endurace a xr100 for the fun of racing, doing it cheap and comfort.
GABRIEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:33 PM   #12
GABRIEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by switch View Post
Fastline mini endurance team? just sayin'
Yep, would be nice. Just need a team. Hummm?

Old 12-12-2011, 01:06 PM   #13
obed
TMGP Pimp

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

after reading all these posts, both from the guys i know and the ones I don't... I must say that I am as undecided now as before...
the Kx has more guts.. the crf has more comfort...
I am 61 years old, 6' tall and weigh 215 lbs... do not have the best knees and hips around, so the comfort thing does concern me some.
I have sat on the crf and it seems pretty small but do-able...
guess I just need to go sit on a Kx and see what it really feels like.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:17 PM   #14
GABRIEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by obed View Post
after reading all these posts, both from the guys i know and the ones I don't... I must say that I am as undecided now as before...
I am 61 years old, 6' tall and weigh 215 lbs... do not have the best knees and hips around, so the comfort thing does concern me some.
Way smaller, more cramped and wants to throw you off the back. I would not waste my time with it. The XR/crf would be the bike for you. It is easier to ride a slow bike fast than it is to ride a fast bike fast. Do the 100 for the learning experience and if you decide you want to ride a 65 later, I am sure someone will let you take one out or get on their team.

We enduranced the 65 and Peter always got off that bike saying that he would never ride it again.
When they are setup very well then they are a little easier to ride.

I posted in here to sway you to the 100. I have seen you ride and know that you are not a midget. So the 65 will be tight.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:07 PM   #15
rob78
. . . . . . . . .

Feedback Rating: (10)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Late Model Never-Was

Quote:
Originally Posted by obed View Post
lol, if you think the crf is small then the kx isn't for you
TMGP #78
Team I Just Wanna Ride #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastynesto85 View Post
go ahead and cry so I can use the tears as lubrication to stick it in you
rob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:59 PM   #16
Jason_Canuck

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
A black one
and a red one

My 2 pennies, for entry level, just having fun type TMGP racing, the XR100 is the platform. I've got a total of $800 into mine. It aint competitive with me on it, but I knew that going into it.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:02 PM   #17
Alan Phillips

I know I might not be well known on this forum but I have race TMGP and CMRA for many years now and have ridden everything form a ysr50 to crf150r in TMGP and ysr50 to 600 in CMRA and heres my 2 cents.

I am currently apart of the 3 time TMGP endurance overall champion team. We race a KX65 bored to a 75 with ohlins rear and cut and spaced stock forks. I have ridden this bike from stock till now and they are two completely different motorcycles. If you go the KX65 route the stock motor is fine but you will have no fun on stock suspension. you have to at the least get it revalved and sprung for your wieght so your not fighting the bike. The way you ride a KX 65 is different to a Xr100 but only by a little. The KX65 you have to shift more and be smoother with the throttle(everyone keeps saying keep the rpms high...that is true but also for any other bike your racing that goes for 2 or 4 stroke, twin, inline dosnt matter.) your position on the bike is more compact and a little less comfortable.

now on the XR100. the bike is a very good starter bike and can run competetive in f6 and f7. The bike is a lot more comfortable for us taller riders which is why my sprint bike next season will be a xr100 bored and stroked to a 130 on 17s bc I like to be comfortable when i ride..makes you ride faster which ill be riding in f5 and f6. Just like the KX you should stay high in the rpms or the xr will be just as turdy...you get a little more room is really the only difference besides power.

now for my opinion for you personally....go with a XR100 and learn the tracks and have fun your first year, see what people have done to theirs to make them better and faster. If you want to go full blown into it then build a xr100 motor that has a 115 kit and superhead and throw it in a CR80 or 85 chassis lowered two inches and spring it for your wieght and you will be legal for F7 F6 F5 and be competetive in all classes.

or if all your planning on is doing practice and two sprint races..you could try your hands at a crf150r with 17s and feel like your riding a 250 or 450 motard on the small tracks...id still go with the 100 to feel it out

-Alan Phillips-
Alan Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:31 PM   #18
switch
two fifty

Experience: 4 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Phillips View Post
-Alan Phillips-
listen to Alan, def knows his stuff
CMRA #250
"Me? I stand for uncertainty, insecurity, bad taste, fun, and things that go boom in the night."
switch is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement