MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2011, 03:11 PM   #61
tamucc2004

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
06 636, 06 DRZ400SM, 03 YZ 450 Motard, 07 Kawi Mean Streak, 08 Honda 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FC View Post
Sum buck, yall can fill a thread up.
Hard day at work

CMRA Novice #484
tamucc2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Obed makes a good Jamba Juice! NewRider Off Topic 15 05-09-2012 06:10 PM
What makes a good citizen of this nation in your opinion????? Grinchy Off Topic 134 09-19-2011 02:42 PM
What makes a GOOD Street Rider? Ulric General Discussion (Moto Related) 81 10-09-2009 12:50 PM
who makes a good integrator for an 05 r6 or 09 r6s? 1slocbr Performance and Modifications 7 04-20-2009 09:21 PM
What makes a good mini-moto? [poser] Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 31 07-17-2007 09:25 AM
Advertisement
Old 12-05-2011, 06:50 PM   #62
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by obed View Post
This is a very interesting point. What do instructors get out of it?
Why should they bother instructing at all?
Maybe that is a subject that those who want to instruct should take up with the trackday organizations, no body wants to work for free...
but then again, I wonder if the forum is the place to talk about that as all/most of us are potential customers...
Some folks that you think may be "volunteering" are actually getting paid or compensated in some way. With us, all of our instructors foot their own bill except the occasional hotel room or meal from MacMan (even customers get fed by him though, so not just staff perks ).

Why do they do it? What do they get out of it?

Well, since I can only speak from our org, I can say that our group (which is small, purposefully, and has almost no turn-over; again by design) does it because these dudes and dudettes just love it. Each of them has a genuine ability and knack for imparting knowledge and our student feedback has always reflected that. From our noobiest noobs to the fastest racers who take our 1:1 instruction Advanced Rider School, we consistently get kudos from our staff because they love to teach and they're really good at it. Job satisfaction at it's finest IMHO. I imagine that's why any "good" instructor does it.

For (coming up on) 12 years now we have had essentially the same staff of instructors remain with us. We've added some along the way, we've lost a very few, but the core group is the same. And they do it for free.

Hope that sheds some light on your question above Obed.
Quote:
I never ask the contractor what he pays his employees.. I as a customer am usually only concerned what it costs me and what I get in return for that expenditure.
As it should be. We also believe in value given and ROI.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:25 PM   #63
xhangyx

Feedback Rating: (18)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
09 repsol
06 r6 *track*
08 cbr1000rr Repsol fairings
07 crf70
02 crf450

I take my students on a case by case basis. I ask each individual student what their goals are and what areas THEY think they need improvements on. I then take their bike into consideration when teaching them the correct "line" if that is their area they need work on. An SV line will be completely different than a gsxr1000 line. Even 600's have different lines.
I do this with each area they request attention to. I have yet to have a student, in both lvl 1 and 2, who simply did not have an area they felt they needed work in, or a student who couldn't find the right words to tell me what they needed work in. If the case does ever come up, i'll simple follow them and make my decisions based on what I see and let them know my opinions of areas they need improvements.

My point is this, we can go back and forth on what an instructor should or should not do, but we can not simply come up with 1 universal statement or guideline that will cover every student or every instructor with every bike on every track. An instructor has to have the ability to adapt to each student/bike/track/weather/tires..etc situation and come up with a game plan on the spot on how to help that student get around the track in a safer and hopefully quicker time than they did when they came to the track that day. Communication is definitely key there though!
xhangyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:29 AM   #64
Cujo
RideSmart

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
R6
cbr 1k

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhangyx View Post
My point is this, we can go back and forth on what an instructor should or should not do, but we can not simply come up with 1 universal statement or guideline that will cover every student or every instructor with every bike on every track. An instructor has to have the ability to adapt to each student/bike/track/weather/tires..etc situation and come up with a game plan on the spot on how to help that student get around the track in a safer and hopefully quicker time than they did when they came to the track that day. Communication is definitely key there though!
Well said. Personality is also key. I recently started MMA training and had great eye opening experiance. Coming from an environment where I'm comfortable and being the instructor , I was now the "noob lvl1" if you will, student. After a few diffrent instructors I finaly found one that I connected with an it all fell into place. Not to say the others suck, but there are certain personality traits that appeal to certain people. Another thing I noticed and applied to track instructing was, I have no freakin clue what I need to work on so I don't knw what to ask. He saw where I was struggling and showed me the right way. Not just telling me but accually "hands on" (and let me tell ya he didn't hold back) and then physically put me in the right spot. What I thought was interesting was he disnt try to make feel good or sugar coat anything. That made my learning increase dramatically. Afterwards when we talked I told him how helpfully it was and he said something that I just loved ..." you pay me to teach YOU to fight, if you lose that means I failed! It's in my best intrest to ensure your success ."
Ok ramble done but food for thought.....
CMRA #257, 2007 R6, 2007 CBR 1k
Cujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:22 PM   #65
timboslice
public punchin bag

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
A quick one

Listen to House of Pain. This guy knows whats goin on
timboslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:06 AM   #66
S.D.W.
...Ready

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2011 ZX10 Racebike
2010 Crf450r
2009 zx6 race bike
2009 ttr110

I'll keep mine short...

I'll listen to guys faster than me

Like cdill
Old 01-28-2012, 01:23 AM   #67
Renzo
I do not consent

Feedback Rating: (13)

Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
r6

Member Garage

I think the instructors should pit with their students. It seems so basic, yet would help so much.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:20 AM   #68
Cujo
RideSmart

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
R6
cbr 1k

So how does work logistically ?
CMRA #257, 2007 R6, 2007 CBR 1k
Cujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:17 PM   #69
Renzo
I do not consent

Feedback Rating: (13)

Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
r6

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujo View Post
So how does work logistically ?
Each instructor usually has, or should have 4-5 in his group. So when the instructor pits he can leave room for his students to pit with him. That way after each session they can discuss it.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:36 PM   #70
Rykoson
Brawp Brawp!

Bike(s):
www.shortfilmproductions.org
2009 YZF-R6-Rest in Peace
2011 ZX-6R Kawasaki Ninja-Track/Street

Member Garage

I agree.. Less running around too!!