MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2011, 11:57 AM   #121
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

former MSF inst. and i disagree w/ alot of what he said. not all but alot.

my ARAI RX7-RR4 basically a $800 helmet was loud as all get out.......vs "A good helmet blocks wind noise and can actually help you hear better, "

and that just for starters.

i agree w/ this

"If anyone here thinks that gear is anything but secondary protection then you can stop that right here."
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Harley Davidson or cruisers down to ride? Texas_Style Cruisers Lounge 3 12-14-2011 03:50 PM
Sport bike riders going to cruisers.... how was it??? or have you done it?? floyd600 General Discussion (Moto Related) 78 06-07-2011 11:37 PM
Cruisers or Sportbike Riders? Whos better? morvegil General Discussion (Moto Related) 36 05-24-2011 01:58 PM
For Racers, Track Riders, Street Riders, Cruisers yellowjacket General Discussion (Moto Related) 34 09-21-2009 09:20 PM
Sport Riders Vs Cruisers Mr.Butts General Discussion (Moto Related) 63 02-20-2008 07:17 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-30-2011, 12:10 PM   #122
da1hobo
Local Hobo

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
77 Honda CT125 - sold
1995 Vulcan 800A - sold
2011 KLR650E

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
former MSF inst. and i disagree w/ alot of what he said. not all but alot.

my ARAI RX7-RR4 basically a $800 helmet was loud as all get out.......vs "A good helmet blocks wind noise and can actually help you hear better, "

and that just for starters.

i agree w/ this

"If anyone here thinks that gear is anything but secondary protection then you can stop that right here."
Yeah the helmet hearing thing is always a great argument starter. He showed us a study from a wind tunnel where someone with a helmet could better identify sounds than a helmet-less rider. Something about moving the wind rushing by your ears further away creates a diminished effect of wind noise. I'll see if I can't find the study. Also just because a helmet is expensive doesn't mean its good or quiet.
da1hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:40 PM   #123
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

something to read also

http://www.cyrilhuzeblog.com/2011/07...-hearing-loss/

Are Motorcycle Helmets Responsible For Hearing Loss?

New twist in the debate regarding motorcycling with or without helmets. Not about freedom of choice, not about health and safety benefits, not about DOT etc…

New studies published in The Journal Of The Acoustical Society Of America warn that if helmets can protect your brain they can also largely contribute to hearing loss.

Results show that the biggest and most dangerous source of noise is not the roar of your engine, but your helmet acting as a special air filter attenuating noise in the region above 500 Hz and amplifying noise in the regions below 500 Hz. Even at legal speeds, the sound of air rushing in areas underneath the helmet and near the chin bar can exceed safe levels.
For demonstration purpose, scientists placed motorcycles helmets atop mannequin heads, mounted them in a wind tunnel, and turned on the fans. By placing microphones at different locations around the helmet and at the mannequin’s ear, the researchers found that is a significant source of the noise that reaches riders” sensitive eardrums. It is the 1st time that the acoustic effect of helmets has been reported. These findings may incite or oblige, if governments get involved, helmet manufacturers to design quieter helmets and use the “riders’ ears protection” as a new marketing tool.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote

Advertisement