Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2011, 01:00 PM   #41
yumbeef
beef eater

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
08 ninja 250r
06 cbr600rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREEN600 View Post
If your going to get upset dont let it be over a stupid little post on a forum.
NW should post after keying something that bothers him.

jk nwcommuter, please dont go around keying harleys
yumbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Harley Davidson or cruisers down to ride? Texas_Style Cruisers Lounge 3 12-14-2011 03:50 PM
Sport bike riders going to cruisers.... how was it??? or have you done it?? floyd600 General Discussion (Moto Related) 78 06-07-2011 11:37 PM
Cruisers or Sportbike Riders? Whos better? morvegil General Discussion (Moto Related) 36 05-24-2011 01:58 PM
For Racers, Track Riders, Street Riders, Cruisers yellowjacket General Discussion (Moto Related) 34 09-21-2009 09:20 PM
Sport Riders Vs Cruisers Mr.Butts General Discussion (Moto Related) 63 02-20-2008 07:17 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-28-2011, 01:06 PM   #42
LCLF Brain
Mamaaaa! Yeah, mama!

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2014 stage 4 Street Glide
2011 Heritage Softail (sold)

Question for the OP, and any other sportbike rider who asks questions about the cruisers' gear selections...

How fast do you go on your bike?

Do you hit triple digits on state roads, streets, or highways?

Have you ever seen a Harley rider, and decided to just put the jets to your bike just to show off?

Do you think gear will help if you wipe out at those kinds of speeds?

I am a police collision reconstructionist. I investigate some of the worst wrecks around Houston. I will attest before and everyone that the ratio of bikes involved in fatal accidents is overwhelmingly sportbikes, and overwhelmingly involves them riding entirely too fast. Every other reconstructionist I know is of the same thought process.

So why are you worried about what cruisers are doing or wearing? It's like some of the sportbike crowd has this fixation on the Harley crowd. Harley riders certainly aren't worried about you, I assure you.
LCLF Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:07 PM   #43
Nightster Ridester
Holmes Hot Rods & Cycles

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
1975 Harley Ironhead

Member Garage

Guys I want to say, please don't throw "Harley" in as the common word for "Cruiser Style" bikes. Many of the Bikers/Cruisers you see are not Harleys but rather Yamahas, Choppers, Suzukis, Hondas etc. Yes most are Harleys, but please dont stereotype all Bikers as Harley bikes. I ride a Harley and always ride with helmet, Gloves, Pants, Jacket etc.

-Harley Davidson is The Original Gangster
Nightster Ridester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:16 PM   #44
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCLF Brain View Post
I am a police collision reconstructionist. I investigate some of the worst wrecks around Houston. I will attest before and everyone that the ratio of bikes involved in fatal accidents is overwhelmingly sportbikes, and overwhelmingly involves them riding entirely too fast. Every other reconstructionist I know is of the same thought process.

while i agree w/ alot you said

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/811389.pdf
this pub. does not differ sportbike vs "cruiser"

why is it that 40+y.o. riders(typ. cruiser riders) are the highest # of rider deaths? pg 3

an i'm sure but it looks like 72% of them were alky impaired
pg 6

and 65% that died were NOT helmeted vs 35% were
pg 8
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:16 PM   #45
Smart Shark
The Prodigal 250 Rider

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650
2006 Honda CBR600RR (RIP)
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (RIP)

Quote:
Do you think gear will help if you wipe out at those kinds of speeds?
Uhm... I would say abso-freakin-lutely! Impact will still suck, and you'll probably slide far enough to wear through whatever part of the gear is sliding... But I'd rather that then to have my scraping asphalt for the duration of the slide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thayleal View Post
Hmmm the prodigal 250 rider returns...
Smart Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:27 PM   #46
green600
HG Chairperson

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Quote:
you should keep an eye out for the RIP threads because a SHITLOAD% are actually cruisers.
green600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:30 PM   #47
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Bike(s):
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

the reality is that as a % wise, more sportbikers die compared to the # of sportbikers out there. but there are ALOT more cruiser riders, and they just sheer outnumber the sportbikers in riders and death.

and while LCF and his buddys are prob. older and don't want to see the reality becuase it resembles themselves, old guys on cruisers die as often if not more then sportbikes guys
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Old 11-28-2011, 01:32 PM   #48
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Harley riders certainly aren't worried about you, I assure you.
I'll bet their puckers when they are headed in the opposite direction on the outside of a turn separated only by a yellow stripe.
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:34 PM   #49
LCLF Brain
Mamaaaa! Yeah, mama!

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart Shark View Post
Uhm... I would say abso-freakin-lutely! Impact will still suck, and you'll probably slide far enough to wear through whatever part of the gear is sliding... But I'd rather that then to have my scraping asphalt for the duration of the slide.
Here is where your notions go entirely off kilter. Take that nice leisurely slide on the concrete and add a curb, fence post, or any other stationary object. Your gear will help you not a lick. It may make you presentable in your casket, however.

Delta-V is what kills. Nothing else. Change in velocity.

Yeah, the gear will save you road rash. Still... who is being hypocritical about safety? In my world, it's the guy all geared up to the nines and riding 120 MPH down the freeway. THAT is the bigger fool, not the Harley rider who wears a brain bucket.

I've seen it SO many times.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:35 PM   #50
LCLF Brain
Mamaaaa! Yeah, mama!

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREEN600 View Post
you should keep an eye out for the RIP threads because a SHITLOAD% are actually cruisers.
I do.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:36 PM   #51
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Bike(s):
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

and 65% that died were NOT helmeted vs 35% were
pg 8

btw, thats TX data.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Old 11-28-2011, 01:43 PM   #52
ZizouTriumph
Isle of Man TT

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2008 HD VRSCDX
2009 Triumph Thruxton 900
2001 YAMAHA R6(Sold)
1976 Triumph Boneville (back home)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCommuter View Post
If you're going to get twisted over someone else's business, why not do it over something like all the little hispanic children not riding in car seats (or even in a seatbelt at all)?
Yeah and all black children have crackhead parents, and all white children are the result of inbreeding, and all middle eastern children are getting blown up, and all asian children will eventually own a honda/toyota and crash multiple times.

Ah, the ignorance...
Old 11-28-2011, 01:46 PM   #53
LCLF Brain
Mamaaaa! Yeah, mama!

Bike(s):

@ RACER X

"In 2009, 35 percent of all motorcycle riders involved in fatal crashes were speeding"

"Helmets are estimated to be 37-percent effective in preventing fatal injuries to motorcycle riders and 41 percent for motorcycle passengers."

By this, it's roughly a wash, isn't it? If you're driving like a maniac, you're taking the same risk as if you were not wearing a helmet.

Also note the engine displacement in that study that talks about percentages. Most of the cruisers are greater than 1000cc. And you can add the under-500 cc to the "not cruiser" list as well. You'll note that those are the greatest fatalities.

I think there are more riders are over 40, which is why more riders over 40 are involved in fatal accidents, and that's about all.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:49 PM   #54
LCLF Brain
Mamaaaa! Yeah, mama!

Bike(s):

By the way, I'll never deny that helmets are lifesaving. I just think someone who worries about other people's gear but rides like a bat out of is pretty much a hypocrite, and ought to concern themselves with their own safety. That is all.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:50 PM   #55
petah50

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2012 BMW S1000RR
2011 HD XR1200X
2012 Ducati Monster 696

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightster Ridester View Post
Guys I want to say, please don't throw "Harley" in as the common word for "Cruiser Style" bikes. Many of the Bikers/Cruisers you see are not Harleys but rather Yamahas, Choppers, Suzukis, Hondas etc. Yes most are Harleys, but please dont stereotype all Bikers as Harley bikes. I ride a Harley and always ride with helmet, Gloves, Pants, Jacket etc.
I agree 100% I also ride a Harley, and never get on mine without my full gear. It's a riders choice, not the type of bike they ride.
petah50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:51 PM   #56
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Bike(s):
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Also note the engine displacement in that study that talks about percentages. Most of the cruisers are greater than 1000cc. And you can add the under-500 cc to the "not cruiser" list as well. You'll note that those are the greatest fatalities.

I think there are more riders are over 40, which is why more riders over 40 are involved in fatal accidents, and that's about all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
the reality is that as a % wise, more sportbikers die compared to the # of sportbikers out there. but there are ALOT more cruiser riders, and they just sheer outnumber the sportbikers in riders and death.

over 1000c is debatable, as somebody pointed out, there are alot of cc cruisers from the makers. since the study doesn't diff. HD and bikes.

and i agree it's sheer numbers, but the reality is that old guys die more often then you guys, and mostly old guys ride cruiser, you stated its young guys dieing more often, and thats incorrect.

being i'm 44 and riding a sportbike i'm an odity in more ways then 1,
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Old 11-28-2011, 02:02 PM   #57
Jaemeriiaa

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
96 harley sportster

While I can't speak for others...I require myself to wear certain gear (half helmet, glasses, boots, jeans, and gloves) since its my personal choice. I refuse to wear a jacket during summer since I had an incident involving heat exhaustion or dehydration or both. As far as worrying what other people are wearing or not wearing how about quit that . Sports bike conversations/debates never arise when I talk with other cruiser owners. What you ride is a personal choice, what you wear is a personal choice. Why do we have to explain ourselves to you?
Jaemeriiaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:03 PM   #58
Smart Shark
The Prodigal 250 Rider

Bike(s):
2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650
2006 Honda CBR600RR (RIP)
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (RIP)

Quote:
Here is where your notions go entirely off kilter. Take that nice leisurely slide on the concrete and add a curb, fence post, or any other stationary object. Your gear will help you not a lick. It may make you presentable in your casket, however.

Delta-V is what kills. Nothing else. Change in velocity.

Yeah, the gear will save you road rash. Still... who is being hypocritical about safety? In my world, it's the guy all geared up to the nines and riding 120 MPH down the freeway. THAT is the bigger fool, not the Harley rider who wears a brain bucket.

I've seen it SO many times.
I see what you mean. I will point out, though, that doing 120 down the freeway... There aren't that many stationary objects to hit. Unless you find a way to collide head-on with a wall or barrier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thayleal View Post
Hmmm the prodigal 250 rider returns...
Smart Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:04 PM   #59
Nightster Ridester
Holmes Hot Rods & Cycles

Bike(s):
1975 Harley Ironhead

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaemeriiaa View Post
While I can't speak for others...I require myself to wear certain gear (half helmet, glasses, boots, jeans, and gloves) since its my personal choice. I refuse to wear a jacket during summer since I had an incident involving heat exhaustion or dehydration or both. As far as worrying what other people are wearing or not wearing how about quit that . Sports bike conversations/debates never arise when I talk with other cruiser owners. What you ride is a personal choice, what you wear is a personal choice. Why do we have to explain ourselves to you?
I believe your heat stroke or dehydration is mostly your fault.....the lack of properly hydrating yourself and also the lack of knowledge to pick out suitable gear for the warm summer heat. But that is only my opinion of your mind-set

-Harley Davidson is The Original Gangster
Nightster Ridester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:06 PM   #60
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Bike(s):
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart Shark View Post
I see what you mean. I will point out, though, that doing 120 down the freeway... There aren't that many stationary objects to hit. Unless you find a way to collide head-on with a wall or barrier.
who says it has to be stationary, a veh. doing 60 and "you''re" doing 120 still has a DeltaV of 60.

120mph crash into stationary

both = dead rider
Trump/Zimmerman 2016

Advertisement