MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

View Poll Results: Ninja 250R or CBR250R
Ninja 250R 21 46.67%
CBR250R 24 53.33%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2011, 04:16 PM   #21
Rael
Communist Plant

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'12 Griso 8v
'13 Wr250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbangatsby View Post
since this is my first bike and I'm not familiar entirely with the particulars of buying use, I don't wanna buy a used bike that sucks or ends up up a month into it

if i got used from a dealership does it still have warranty or could i buy warranty even tho it's used?
Take a look at the www.ninja250.org They have pointers for used bike buying. Also you could see if the seller is willing to take it by Motorcycles Unlimited for a check-up.

The suggestions to get a DRZ400SM or WR250x are good too, if you are tall enough to be comfortable on them.

A big plus for the ninja is that it is older than dirt, so repairs are not daunting and used parts are plentiful.
Rael is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ninja 250r sloshedmrbones Performance and Modifications 9 08-31-2008 05:25 PM
Kawasaki Ninja 250r D & B RACING General Discussion (Moto Related) 16 06-11-2008 10:04 PM
ninja 250r Twitch General Discussion (Moto Related) 30 04-01-2008 10:55 AM
While I'm still waiting on the Ninja 250r to come in... AhmadHasib General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 02-12-2008 05:39 AM
Ninja 250R First Bike? AhmadHasib General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 01-07-2008 09:28 AM
Advertisement
Old 11-25-2011, 04:24 PM   #22
Alleykat

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4 years

I learned on a Honda rebel 250.To me its even easier to learn on that than a "sporty" 250.Might wanna look into them since you can usually find them used for like $1,500 and under.

Im glad I didn't jump straight to a 600 super sport personally.Not because of the added engine size but the rider position is WAY different and its not something I suggest for learning how to ride a motorcycle.

Oh and between the Ninja and the CBR 250 i will lean towards Honda.Im doing a carb cleaning for a neighbors Ninja 250 and dam I had to take apart half the dam bike just to get to the carbs.
Alleykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 04:29 PM   #23
C.Hern5972
Street Ninja Four Father

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
96 ZX7R 37k miles and still strong
2007 HD Softail
2002 Springer Classic
2007 GSXR600

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleykat View Post
I learned on a Honda rebel 250.To me its even easier to learn on that than a "sporty" 250.Might wanna look into them since you can usually find them used for like $1,500 and under.

Im glad I didn't jump straight to a 600 super sport personally.Not because of the added engine size but the rider position is WAY different and its not something I suggest for learning how to ride a motorcycle.

Oh and between the Ninja and the CBR 250 i will lean towards Honda.Im doing a carb cleaning for a neighbors Ninja 250 and dam I had to take apart half the dam bike just to get to the carbs.
thats good though, everyone should know the basics if you own a bike.

Chris H
"I dont follow rules to well"
C.Hern5972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 04:30 PM   #24
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL
2013 Triumph Trophy SE (sold)
2009 Harley-Davidson Road Glide(sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1300T (sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1100 (sold)

Send a message via Yahoo to honorsdaddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoogyns848 View Post
Dude neither bikes are good ideas....if you want to learn buy a 250 dirt bike. Don't waste your money on something like the ninja or Cbr 250's. They have resale value unless you pick one up extremely used.
How do i say this...

Hm...you're an idiot.

Both bikes are excellent ideas. The Ninja 250 holds its value frighteningly well.

A 250 dirt bike is not exactly a beginner machine.

I applaud him for making the intelligent choice to learn how to ride before he buys a bigger bike. You don't teach your kid how to drive on the Corvette...
Old 11-25-2011, 04:30 PM   #25
Alleykat

Well dam here goes one for $900

http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/2699630643.html

Consider it a throw away bike.If you drop it pretty bad it wont bother you so much opposed to messing up a bike with nice fairings and cost $4k'ish OTD.

I actually miss my Rebel a lot and wish I didn't get rid of it.
Alleykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 04:31 PM   #26
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL

Quote:
If you want brakes with suspension you might as well get a scooter. About the only thing learning on a 250 makes you appreciate, is how fast other bikes are in comparison. If you learn on a dirt bike you can crash the out of it, pick it up and keep going. No matter what, you will probably crash. That's the nature of the beast.
They have excellent brakes and suspension for a bike their size. No, they aren't S1000RR's but they aren't supposed to be. They are beginner bikes.

Riding on dirt is completely different than riding on the street.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:32 PM   #27
Urbangatsby
n00b Rider

Bike(s):
2011 Ninja 650R

Also is there a motorcycle maintance course in Houston? Something like a 6 week course that will teach you the basics of motorcycle maintance?
Old 11-25-2011, 04:33 PM   #28
C.Hern5972
Street Ninja Four Father

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
96 ZX7R 37k miles and still strong
2007 HD Softail
2002 Springer Classic
2007 GSXR600

Member Garage

Call and talk to patriick, they hold classes for maint. on your bikes, what to do and what to look for.

Motorcycles Unlimited
Talk to Patrik

Chris H
"I dont follow rules to well"
C.Hern5972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 05:05 PM   #29
Rael
Communist Plant

Bike(s):
'12 Griso 8v
'13 Wr250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by honorsdaddy View Post
They have excellent brakes and suspension for a bike their size. No, they aren't S1000RR's but they aren't supposed to be. They are beginner bikes.

Riding on dirt is completely different than riding on the street.
Plus the brakes are an easy fix with braided steel lines. Aside from that the stock tires are bad but a new set is cheap. The suspension does dive under really hard braking, but if you are braking that hard on a 250 you're doing it wrong.
Rael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 05:10 PM   #30
switch
two fifty

Quote:
Dude neither bikes are good ideas....if you want to learn buy a 250 dirt bike. Don't waste your money on something like the ninja or Cbr 250's. They have resale value unless you pick one up extremely used.
Quote:
If you want brakes with suspension you might as well get a scooter. About the only thing learning on a 250 makes you appreciate, is how fast other bikes are in comparison. If you learn on a dirt bike you can crash the out of it, pick it up and keep going. No matter what, you will probably crash. That's the nature of the beast.

great advice right here

250's are a great choice. the only reason i'd lean towards the ninja, they've been around for longer. parts are available, and cheap.

also, don't listen to the 'buy this bike don't buy that bike' talk. smaller displacement bikes have a lot to teach you. ultmately the decision is yours to make.
CMRA #250
"Me? I stand for uncertainty, insecurity, bad taste, fun, and things that go boom in the night."
switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 05:10 PM   #31
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rael View Post
Plus the brakes are an easy fix with braided steel lines. Aside from that the stock tires are bad but a new set is cheap. The suspension does dive under really hard braking, but if you are braking that hard on a 250 you're doing it wrong.
They do the job they are supposed to do - provide a basic, reliable, very forgiving motorcycle on which you can hone your skills before graduating to something faster. Its that "very forgiving" part which is key. They also rather force you to learn how to ride well because if you ride them like , you're only going nowhere slowly.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:14 PM   #32
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL

Between the Honda and the Kawi, its a tough choice. Both have their pros and cons. Like your choice of bed partner, it comes down to your personal feelings on the matter.

There's also the Hyosung GT250R. (the embedded link is a review). They're not the fastest or the best handling, but they are bigger and more comfortable. I've got mixed feelings about Hyosung personally, but I understand a lot of the guys who have them like them.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:35 PM   #33
Smart Shark
The Prodigal 250 Rider

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650
2006 Honda CBR600RR (RIP)
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (RIP)

I own a 2012 Ninja 250R. I test rode a CBR250R before it, but still sprung for the ninja. It almost just comes down to personal preference... Although, i just couldn't live with a single cylinder engine.

Do I wish I had something faster? YES.
Am I ready for something faster? NO.
Do I still have a retarded amount of fun on the 250? YES.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thayleal View Post
Hmmm the prodigal 250 rider returns...
Smart Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 05:51 PM   #34
NewRider
Riding, Eating & Partying

Bike(s):
Retrospec Fixie (Hipster ride)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart Shark View Post
I own a 2012 Ninja 250R. I test rode a CBR250R before it, but still sprung for the ninja. It almost just comes down to personal preference... Although, i just couldn't live with a single cylinder engine.

Do I wish I had something faster? YES.
Am I ready for something faster? NO.
Do I still have a retarded amount of fun on the 250? YES.
Do you still wreck it on parade laps? Yes.

J/K

HALFFAST GROUP
NewRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 06:24 PM   #35
Renzo
I do not consent

Feedback Rating: (13)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
r6

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokati View Post
Getting a 250 is fine, 99% of riders who "upgrade from a 250 to a 600" will be outridden by 99% of the people who race 250s.

ie. Their skill didnt outgrow their bikes, their ego outgrew their bikes.
I am the 1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRider View Post
This is not the best advice...bad Rykoson, that's a bad Rykoson...

If I were you, I would get the Ninja 250 08 and up, they have been around longer andthere are more things available for it... get a used one, theyare. Cheap and really good. Looking...

600 are fun, but I myself am not thinking of going down to a 650r or a 250 for the street and a just get a 600 for the track... 650r is plenty. Of power for the street..

Good luck in your search and once you get it, take it easy, even a 250 can killyou on the street, it's more forgiving than a 600 hundred, but you still have to respect it.

Last edited by Renzo; 11-25-2011 at 06:27 PM.
Renzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 06:30 PM   #36
imma_stocker
cager

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 5 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokati View Post
actually completely wrong tires on a 250 are much cheaper and last much longer, fuel on a 250 is much more efficient and overall the bike will always cost much less in the long run.
So you're saying tires on a new 250 cost less than a used 250? I guess I forgot to ask for the used bike discount for fluids, filters and pads. LoL

Good effort reading boss but you replaced what I wrote with something to debate. I'm asking why the OP is so insistent on getting a NEW bike to learn on. The maintenance will be almost the same in this class but savings on his purchase will cover other expenses like gas, insurance, and gear.
imma_stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 06:39 PM   #37
NewRider
Riding, Eating & Partying

Bike(s):
Retrospec Fixie (Hipster ride)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzo View Post
I am the 1%

Did you change my quote to say "not thinking about getting a 250 or 650r"?

Either way...I meant to say that "I'm NOW thinking of getting a 250 or 650r..

HALFFAST GROUP
NewRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 07:06 PM   #38
Smart Shark
The Prodigal 250 Rider

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650
2006 Honda CBR600RR (RIP)
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRider View Post
Did you change my quote to say "not thinking about getting a 250 or 650r"?

Either way...I meant to say that "I'm NOW thinking of getting a 250 or 650r..
Buy my 250?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thayleal View Post
Hmmm the prodigal 250 rider returns...
Smart Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:17 PM   #39
cuong-nutz
Resident 250 guru

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
Ninjer 250

Quote:
The suspension is more than adequate for anyone who doesn't know how to ride a motorcycle. The brakes on the 250 are more than plentiful to stop the bike any given situation. 250s are designed as an economical bike without all the jazz of a super sport. You're comparing apples and oranges brother. A new doesn't need all that technology. The newb just needs to understand how to ride and how a bike functions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imma_stocker View Post

OP: What's so attractive of getting a new 250 rather than a used bike? If its just maintenance costs, consider that all bikes new and used require the same maintenance schedule. Just like cars, the owner will cause a lot more problems than the bike's age.
The most costly maintenance on the 250 is doing the valve lash adjustment since the engine is tucked in that small compartment and is timely repair. Maintenance manual states to check the valve lash at 7,500 miles. Too tight of a valve lash can cause your engine to sieze up and we know what happens after that. You're looking at about 300 dollars to do the valve lash check and adjustment.

Truthly, a lot of MC riders just ride their motorcycles and disregard maintenance. Just ask Patrick at Motorcylces Unlimited.

My vote is go with the newer Ninja 250. I love mine and it does mostly all I want it to do: gets me from point A to B with no problems and saves gas. You an get 50+/mpg out of a tank (4.6 gal) if you're not flogging it constantly. The Ninja 250 builds power after about 6k rpms and keeps on going until about redline 13k.

The CBR250 gets even more gas mileage than that of the 250 only because of it's motor design and Fuel injection. Its a very noticeable amount of torque on the low end which is plenty enough for putting around the city. I don't personally have the CBR so I can't account for everything but this is all from reviews and other people's experience.
cuong-nutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:39 PM   #40
cuong-nutz
Resident 250 guru

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
Ninjer 250

Chain maintenance is done roughly 400 miles or when it gets dirty. Takes like 15 min to clean and lube.
The stock IRC Roadwinner tires on both the new ninja 250 and the cbr250 will last roughly 8000 miles depending on how hard you ride and how well you keep up with tire pressure.
set of 250 tires will cost you about 250 dollars and about 40-45 dollars/per tire to install.
oil changes are easy as you don't need to remove any fairings and you don't need to buy motorcycle specific oil. maybe 20 dollars for an oil change.
cuong-nutz is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement