MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2011, 10:20 PM   #21
Rykoson
Brawp Brawp!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
www.shortfilmproductions.org
2009 YZF-R6-Rest in Peace
2011 ZX-6R Kawasaki Ninja-Track/Street

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ek View Post
I think that I remeber that day. The guy that went down said he hit a pebble on the track.LOL
lol....yeah... this will live in his head all the way up to Alaska... think he gets to ride like one week out of the year..

plenty of other outdoors stuff to do though..
STREET SCHOLARS PRODUCTIONS-Hookit
Rykoson is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SERIOUSLY! Who is trying to learn? JRxGRUBZx Stunters Lounge 170 09-30-2015 08:35 PM
Want To Learn!!! -Jay4- Stunters Lounge 0 06-24-2013 12:06 AM
Is this ok to learn on gsxrjai Stunters Lounge 14 03-15-2009 11:28 PM
learn stoppies PowerSurgeD Stunters Lounge 2 05-28-2008 01:11 AM
would love to learn more/new here str8up Stunters Lounge 21 04-10-2008 06:54 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-22-2011, 10:51 PM   #22
675Raisinator

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2012 Triumph 675
2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Track scooter)

I did my first track day at msrh this month... i learned to trust the tires and stay on the of my feet... i also learned riding down and back is not optimal... i am addicted and i think this is going to get expensive
675Raisinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:53 PM   #23
ivancuriel
Sancho Pedotes

Feedback Rating: (4)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2009 Yamaha R6 Raven.
2012 Yamaha R1 Moto GP Edition

Quote:
I think that I remeber that day. The guy that went down said he hit a pebble on the track.LOL
I was behind the guy that went down, he just grabbed too much break. No such pebble existed hahaha.
ivancuriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:07 PM   #24
Ek

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
SV 650
KTM 125sx
Harley Street Bob
Husky 610 Tard
Vino 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by 675Raisinator View Post
I did my first track day at msrh this month... i learned to trust the tires and stay on the of my feet... i also learned riding down and back is not optimal... i am addicted and i think this is going to get expensive
Welcome to the addiction, a trailer, truck or a fried with either is needed. I rode my bike to my first track day last year. Never again.
Ek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:08 PM   #25
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to ArturoC Send a message via AIM to ArturoC Send a message via Yahoo to ArturoC Send a message via Skype™ to ArturoC

Thanks for sharing. Definitely see the progression through the pics.
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Sponsors: D&D - GoPro - Amsoil
ArturoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:21 PM   #26
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to ArturoC Send a message via AIM to ArturoC Send a message via Yahoo to ArturoC Send a message via Skype™ to ArturoC
Quote:
Originally Posted by switch View Post
what did i learn and still learning? gotta twist that wrist
^^^ This!

Part of my learning was the addition of data acquisition. This biggest part of this (for me) being the TIP. Recording the Throttle Input Sensor. Even as a relative n00b, this can be invaluable.

Things the data showed me right off the bat:

1. Not getting to WOT in some sections of the track (and should have been)
2. Sections I got to WOT, I didn't always get back to WOT after gear changes (usually in 5th and 6th.. read this as being a p000sy! )
3. Not getting on the gas early enough
4 . Not getting on the gas hard enough (rolling on too slowly)

That's just the beginning..

But just knowing those things gave me something to work on. The stock throttle tube for the 675 has ridiculously long twist action. I sometimes had to re-grip twice to get to WOT. A 10 dollar 'upgrade' to a speed triple throttle tube helped immensely. At least with making it easier to get to WOT. It didn't help with the p000syness of point #2.
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Old 11-22-2011, 11:40 PM   #27
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Side by side comparison of throttle. The first one is good because you can literally see me not going WOT. and just being a general chicken .

June 2010

October 2011 (also a repost)
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Old 11-23-2011, 04:21 AM   #28
GSXR848
CMRA # 848

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
09 Kawi ZX-10 (Special Edition)
07 Suzuki GSXR 1000 (trackbike)
2006 Suzuki GSXR 600 (trackbike) SOLD
03 Yamaha R6 (track bike) SOLD
07 Yamaha YZ250F & YZ450F,

That last lap was smooth and a 1:57. Nothing wrong with that, keep doing what your doing the times are dropping. My best lap time at TWS (Texas World Speedway) so far has been a 1:56 on Friday practice before the last CMRA race and that was after many laps. During my sprint classes on Sunday I never got below a 2:04. Many people has told me it is because I am concentrating on trying to go fast during a race than being smooth like when im practicing. You looked smooth and thats where its at (so i am told). Nice video and riding.

Also you said the throttle you bought was a Speed Triple? Where did you get it and the cost if you don't mind? Thanks

Last edited by GSXR848; 11-23-2011 at 04:25 AM. Reason: Throttle info
GSXR848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 08:36 AM   #29
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXR848 View Post
Also you said the throttle you bought was a Speed Triple? Where did you get it and the cost if you don't mind? Thanks
It's the stock throttle tube for a Triumph Speed Triple which happens to fit my Daytona 675 and has a bigger cam so basically acts as a quick-turn throttle compared to the stock 675.

Ordered it from bikebandit.com or 10 bucks.

Triumph GRIP, RH, THROTTLE

Part # 1390166

$10.45

CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Old 11-23-2011, 08:43 AM   #30
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

I learned that if you want to be fast, you MUST pick the throttle up early...and hard. You can't ride like a sissy always scared to spin the rear.
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:42 PM   #31
unswift

Bike(s):
2009 ZX-6R race
2008 EX250 race

I learned that Eric can also rail on an SV!

Seriously, I learned that for me that track was a place for me and my motorcycle (my street bike is still for sale!), and that racing was the best way to get faster.

I learned that I love riding anything, from my "primary" track bike, the zx6R, to my race bikes, a Ninja 250 and a SV650, and that you can have fun and learn something from all the displacements.

I learned that, despite the relatively low power and speeds, the most fun racing I had all year was a 10 lap, three way battle in the season ending Mini Endurance at TWS (Texas World Speedway) where equally matched riders and Ninja 250s took turns passing each other off the front straight draft into turn one. Felt like the finish of a GP125 race.

I learned that there is nothing quite like being on a "lightweight twin" and being passed by the "heavyweight" KTM RC8R on the No. 1 Big Bike Endurance team.

Most importantly I learned that there are a lot of cool people out at the track and the races, and I can't wait to see you guys out there again soon.

Heal up quick Eric!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Eric BBE.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	50802   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dave BBE.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	50803  

Last edited by unswift; 11-23-2011 at 01:46 PM.
unswift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:08 PM   #32
Get Some!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP220 View Post
Wow. AJ really got up in there, didn't he?
That's what she said...
103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 03:14 PM   #33
z71dustin

Experience: 1 year

What didn't I learn lol

I'd never rode a motorcycle in my life until around August 2010 and April 2011 was my first trackday. I've learned a ton since then and am still learning. Hopefully this next season I will continue to improve and can take it to the next level (CMRA)

Main things
1. Stay on de line
3. Let my drop more and quit being a sissy lol

Everything falls into those categories somehow
z71dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 04:22 PM   #34
ciao_strada

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
CBR600F4i '04

I had a lot of fun this year doing my first 3.2 track days. I still have a long way to go, but I feel I improved much and gained confidence.

Mostly I learned that if you want to track for a long time (not race), you have to take your time. At the end of the year my goal was to get in as many TDs as I could. I got hasty, I didnt put in enough time on maintenance, upgrades, and went for lvl 2 on a new track (had already done lvl 2 on different familiar track). None of that couldve been the actual cause of my crash, but in the long haul over many TDs, it might as well be... and being out for several months - not just from riding but basic everyday things - because you fell and broke your collarbone... just isnt worth it... Is it March yet?
ciao_strada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:47 PM   #35
Supa Dave
The Chupacabra

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
GSX-R 600
KX250 (sold)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
I learned that if you want to be fast, you MUST pick the throttle up early...and hard. You can't ride like a sissy always scared to spin the rear.
I are no sissy sir! I've seen u haul the mail.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:03 PM   #36
Ek

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
SV 650
KTM 125sx
Harley Street Bob
Husky 610 Tard
Vino 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by unswift View Post
I learned that Eric can also rail on an SV!

Seriously, I learned that for me that track was a place for me and my motorcycle (my street bike is still for sale!), and that racing was the best way to get faster.

I learned that I love riding anything, from my "primary" track bike, the zx6R, to my race bikes, a Ninja 250 and a SV650, and that you can have fun and learn something from all the displacements.

I learned that, despite the relatively low power and speeds, the most fun racing I had all year was a 10 lap, three way battle in the season ending Mini Endurance at TWS (Texas World Speedway) where equally matched riders and Ninja 250s took turns passing each other off the front straight draft into turn one. Felt like the finish of a GP125 race.

I learned that there is nothing quite like being on a "lightweight twin" and being passed by the "heavyweight" KTM RC8R on the No. 1 Big Bike Endurance team.

Most importantly I learned that there are a lot of cool people out at the track and the races, and I can't wait to see you guys out there again soon.

Heal up quick Eric!
I had a blast racing your SV at TWS (Texas World Speedway) and dropped 2 seconds a lap on my R6 after one session on it. I learned that you can learn to go faster by going slower. I look forward to us riding together again next year.

Another thing that I learned is that just because you can keep up with the experts in one corner it doesn't mean you can in the next. It took a lowside at ECR to drive that point home. I have a new respect for turn 3 now.
Ek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:41 AM   #37
MrBoom

Bike(s):
A Bike: 2013 RSV4 R
B Bike: 2010 RSV4 Factory
PPIHC A Bike: 2007 SXV 550
PPIHC B Bike: 2007 SXV 450

I learned that riding on the track is one of the most productive things I have going on. The people I ride with are some of the best on and off the track. The intensity of riding combined with the sense of community at the track creates good motivation for improvement.

I crashed hard this year and broke my collar bone, wrist, elbow, a tooth and had one of a concussion. I don't remember the accident or the week after. I do know that all I could think about was getting back on the track. The injuries did not heal as quickly as I wanted and that delayed me getting back. I learned that the community, you guys, were there to help out. It was appreciated.

I struggled with my employer telling me to quit riding and my desire to start racing. I ended up getting my prov nov, but haven't had time to race due to work. I learned it's very difficult to balance my professional life with my desire to race. Good thing there isn't a Mrs. Boom or she would be third on the list of priorities.

I learned a lot from the CMRA guys. Everything from body position to passing tech. Again, thanks for the help.

My biggest problem is finding time to get back to the track. The goals for next season are to solve that problem, get fit, ride faster, and stuff EK.
MrBoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 01:50 PM   #38
Get Some!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBoom View Post
and stuff EK.
103 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement