MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2011, 10:41 AM   #1
pinball
I got slow

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Motorcycle Checkpoints Ruled Constitutional

Hope it's not a repost...haven't seen it on here, yet. Yes, I know this in in New York, but it could find its way down here eventually.

Quote:
ALBANY, N.Y. ó A federal judge has rejected motorcyclists' claims that their constitutional rights were violated by New York State Police highway checkpoints that stopped thousands of riders and ticketed many of them.

The main focus of the 2008 statewide initiative by troopers, timed to coincide with rallies drawing crowds of riders, was safety, Judge Gary Sharpe concluded. That distinguishes the checkpoints from "a general interest in crime control" that could have amounted to unconstitutional seizures when there's no "individualized suspicion of wrongdoing."

Four motorcyclists sued troopers claiming safety was a mere pretext in looking for criminals and that the practice was intrusive and unfair to riders as a group. Attorney Mitchell Proner said many motorcyclists are interested in the case, the only such federal suit nationally though some other states have similar checkpoint programs, and he will appeal.

According to Sharpe's Thursday ruling, 5,342 vehicles passed through 17 checkpoints in 2008. Authorities inspected 2,278 and made four criminal arrests in addition to issuing 1,064 tickets, including 365 for helmet violations, 99 for other safety violations, and 600 for non-safety violations.

The ruling cited state data showing an increase in motorcycle fatalities the preceding nine years, and an increase in tickets issued for illegal helmets from 35 in 2007 to 796 in 2008, almost half at the checkpoints. Sharpe also cited a 17 percent decrease in motorcycle fatalities from 2008 to 2009.

"The court concludes the checkpoints were enacted to promote motorcycle safety, a manifest public interest; they were effective in addressing this interest; and that any interference with individual liberties was not only minimal, but also grossly outweighed by the interest advanced," Sharpe wrote.

The program gave police "appropriately" limited discretion and was "minimally intrusive," with depositions showing bikers were detained at most 45 minutes even when they got secondary inspections and were cited for inadequate helmets, he wrote.

Lt. James Halvorsen, detail commander of the state police motorcycle unit, said the ongoing program, similar to seatbelt enforcement, succeeded in raising safety awareness. Most riders with approved helmets are waved through the checkpoints, where they slow but don't stop, he said.

Statewide motorcycle fatalities were 188 in 2008, 155 in 2009 and 180 last year, while the peak in 2006 was 192, Halvorsen said. Whether other police showed up at the checkpoints, that wasn't coordinated and the troopers' program was strictly about safety, he said.

"The intrusion on civil liberties is something that shouldn't be countenanced," Proner said. The New York checkpoints have continued since even though motorcycles, like other vehicles, are already subject to annual safety inspections, he said.

"It's obvious just from their own internal documents they're looking for criminal activity," Proner said. A checkpoint near Buffalo's Peace Bridge included border patrol agents, and one in central New York near a rally sponsored by a motorcycle club included gang task force officers, he said.

"The fact they didn't find crime doesn't mean that wasn't what they're fishing for," he said. "That just shows you've got law abiding citizens on motorcycles primarily being inconvenienced."
http://www.dailyjournal.net/view/sto...e-Checkpoints/
pinball is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
US Senators Want to Defund Motorcycle-Only Checkpoints darranwil General Discussion (Moto Related) 0 03-10-2014 12:08 PM
New York State Motorcycle Only Checkpoints houstonch73 General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 06-04-2009 08:39 PM
constitutional convention witchdoctor575 Off Topic 10 12-14-2008 01:15 AM
Advertisement
Old 11-22-2011, 11:38 AM   #2
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

I ride clean so I don’t have a problem with checkpoints. Riders that don't have insurance or a valid license deserve to get popped.
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:47 AM   #3
triumphant675r

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
'09 Triumph Daytona 675 Triple

Member Garage

I ride clean too. But I also ride every day, sometimes literally hitting all four corners of houston. I'm going to be if they start poping up everywhere making me late.
Anyone wear chaps with fishnet shirts? My friends give me for it, but I feel most comfortable this way. Just seeing if anyone else out there feels the same. Also looking for other men interested in riding.
triumphant675r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:01 PM   #4
pinball
I got slow

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
I ride clean so I donít have a problem with checkpoints. Riders that don't have insurance or a valid license deserve to get popped.
It's not about riding clean or dirty. It's about singling out motorcycles. They should be stopping every vehicle, not just bikes. At DUI checkpoints, everyone stops. There's no singling out a specific type of vehicle.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:02 PM   #5
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Meh
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:45 PM   #6
cedestech

Feedback Rating: (12)

Trackdays: 10+

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinball View Post
It's not about riding clean or dirty. It's about singling out motorcycles. They should be stopping every vehicle, not just bikes. At DUI checkpoints, everyone stops. There's no singling out a specific type of vehicle.
That^^^^
cedestech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:19 PM   #7
C.Hern5972
Street Ninja Four Father

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
96 ZX7R 37k miles and still strong
2007 HD Softail
2002 Springer Classic
2007 GSXR600

Member Garage

Quote:
I ride clean so I donít have a problem with checkpoints. Riders that don't have insurance or a valid license deserve to get popped.
i agree

be carefull what you say..

Chris H
"I dont follow rules to well"
C.Hern5972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 02:33 PM   #8
pinball
I got slow

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Hern5972 View Post
i agree

be carefull what you say..
While I do agree with the second part of Bevo's comment, shouldn't that apply to ALL motorists, not just motorcycle riders?
Old 11-22-2011, 02:42 PM   #9
Rael
Communist Plant

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
'12 Griso 8v
'13 Wr250r

I forgot the case, but checkpoints are difficult for local or state police to implement in Texas. I would not be worried about a federal district court ruling in N.Y. anyway. It is fun to play chicken little with court rulings but this is so far removed from the reality of Texas law, both structurally and in fact, that it is inconsequential.
Rael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 02:47 PM   #10
C.Hern5972
Street Ninja Four Father

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
96 ZX7R 37k miles and still strong
2007 HD Softail
2002 Springer Classic
2007 GSXR600

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinball View Post
While I do agree with the second part of Bevo's comment, shouldn't that apply to ALL motorists, not just motorcycle riders?

I agree

Chris H
"I dont follow rules to well"
C.Hern5972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:16 PM   #11
Snarky
Eisen-Schwein!

Bike(s):
'12 R1200 GS ADV
'09 Versys
'01 XT 225 (sold) :(

Member Garage

I agree that it should include all vehicles, not just motorcycles. However, I'm also sure truckers say the same thing at weigh stations. Checking truck weights is just a bullshit excuse to look for other not in compliance.

The way they rationalize it for truckers is that they drive dangerous vehicles and aren't smart enough to make the right choices.
The way they rationalize it for motorcyclists is that they drive dangerous vehicles and aren't smart enough to make the right choices.

You know what? They are right. How many RIP threads are on this site in just a couple of months? How many motorcycle fatalities are there a week in Houston? How many across the nation when the temps are around 70? I bet you more than with cars per 100,000 drivers/riders. How many of those fatalities would have been preventable with the right gear and training? You know why they single out bikes over cars? Because a cager doesn't need a helmet to not die if he hits a curb with his vehicle. A cager doesn't need a helmet to not die if he gets rear ended by another dumb cager on her cellphone.

I don't like the erosion of liberties. I don't like giving cops an opening to look for other noncompliance to cite riders for.

It's our own fault (as motorcyclists everywhere). They were given an opening for bullshit citations because too many riders didn't wear our helmets and got splattered in New York, combined with a really crappy trend detected nationally with fatalities. I might be a cold , but I really don't give a about a rider I don't know, who got splattered if he wasn't at least wearing a helmet. Helps thin out the global population! However, I do care about those cage stains causing municipalities and state governments to have justification to hassle me.

You wanna do something about anti-motorcycle laws in Texas? Watch out for them in the news and send a letter to the legislature denouncing them when they pop up. Also think about joining the American Motorcyclist Association, they might be pro-helmet laws, they are anti-"motorcycle discriminatory" laws. I hate lobbyists, but you gotta fight corrupt government with corrupt government.

Please don't take any of this personally, I really don't hate your dead motorcycle friend. It just makes me very frustrated that you can practically watch our rights being eroded from afar, and not be able to do anything about it. What if I wanted to ride through New York on a long distance trip, where I get stopped by a checkpoint; and it turns out that they don't like the color of my visor? Or my auxiliary lights? Or whatever other bullshit laws they have up there that we're currently free of here? I get a free ticket in a state that I don't particularly want to support financially.

Last edited by Snarky; 11-22-2011 at 03:21 PM.
Snarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:18 PM   #12
morvegil
Banned

Bike(s):
2008 Night Rod Special(s)
2008 1200 Sportster(s)
2008 Triumph Bonneville(w)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
2010 Ducati Streetfighter

User is banned

morvegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:27 PM   #13
Stang Man
being rude

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2003 Z1000
2005 KTM 625 SMC(sold)
1994 ZX-11(sold)
1983 Honda Nighthawk(sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky View Post
I agree that it should include all vehicles, not just motorcycles. However, I'm also sure truckers say the same thing at weigh stations. Checking truck weights is just a bullshit excuse to look for other not in compliance.

The way they rationalize it for truckers is that they drive dangerous vehicles and aren't smart enough to make the right choices.
The way they rationalize it for motorcyclists is that they drive dangerous vehicles and aren't smart enough to make the right choices.

You know what? They are right. How many RIP threads are on this site in just a couple of months? How many motorcycle fatalities are there a week in Houston? How many across the nation when the temps are around 70? I bet you more than with cars per 100,000 drivers/riders. How many of those fatalities would have been preventable with the right gear and training? You know why they single out bikes over cars? Because a cager doesn't need a helmet to not die if he hits a curb with his vehicle. A cager doesn't need a helmet to not die if he gets rear ended by another dumb cager on her cellphone.

I don't like the erosion of liberties. I don't like giving cops an opening to look for other noncompliance to cite riders for.

It's our own fault (as motorcyclists everywhere). They were given an opening for bullshit citations because too many riders didn't wear our helmets and got splattered in New York, combined with a really crappy trend detected nationally with fatalities. I might be a cold , but I really don't give a about a rider I don't know, who got splattered if he wasn't at least wearing a helmet. Helps thin out the global population! However, I do care about those cage stains causing municipalities and state governments to have justification to hassle me.

You wanna do something about anti-motorcycle laws in Texas? Watch out for them in the news and send a letter to the legislature denouncing them when they pop up. Also think about joining the American Motorcyclist Association, they might be pro-helmet laws, they are anti-"motorcycle discriminatory" laws. I hate lobbyists, but you gotta fight corrupt government with corrupt government.

Please don't take any of this personally, I really don't hate your dead motorcycle friend. It just makes me very frustrated that you can practically watch our rights being eroded from afar, and not be able to do anything about it. What if I wanted to ride through New York on a long distance trip, where I get stopped by a checkpoint; and it turns out that they don't like the color of my visor? Or my auxiliary lights? Or whatever other bullshit laws they have up there that we're currently free of here? I get a free ticket in a state that I don't particularly want to support financially.
Truckers? How about they weigh a LOT more than a regular vehicle, are a lot larger than a regular vehicle, and will cause greater damage in the event of a crash.

Thats a good enough reason for me to hold them to a higher standard.
Family bikes: V-Star 1100, Harley 883, KLR-650
Stang Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:53 PM   #14
NewRider
Riding, Eating & Partying

Bike(s):
Retrospec Fixie (Hipster ride)

Quote:
Originally Posted by morvegil View Post
I will just blow them.

HALFFAST GROUP
NewRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 03:24 AM   #15
Snarky
Eisen-Schwein!

Bike(s):
'12 R1200 GS ADV
'09 Versys
'01 XT 225 (sold) :(

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang Man View Post
Truckers? How about they weigh a LOT more than a regular vehicle, are a lot larger than a regular vehicle, and will cause greater damage in the event of a crash.

Thats a good enough reason for me to hold them to a higher standard.
Motorcycles, they leave the rider a lot less protected than a regular vehicle, are a lot smaller than a regular vehicle, and will cause greater damager to the ride in the event of a crash.

That's the point I was making in the unequal regulations comparing passenger vehicles versus trucks and bikes.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:42 AM   #16
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky View Post
Motorcycles, they leave the rider a lot less protected than a regular vehicle, are a lot smaller than a regular vehicle, and will cause greater damager to the ride in the event of a crash.

That's the point I was making in the unequal regulations comparing passenger vehicles versus trucks and bikes.
dif is protecting others from 'you' vs protecting yourself from 'you'.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:35 AM   #17
FJRmgm

Bike(s):
Yamaha FJR 1300
Honda CBR 954RR
Yamaha WR250R

Quote:
+1 to that Brother.
FJRmgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:15 AM   #18
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
No offense but IMHO, this is bullshit.

Let's all toady along with whatever laws are thrown at us. We will look down our noses at those, scofflaws that don't.

What if they pass a law that says (like England has), no tinted visors?
What if they decide we must all wear approved gloves?
Or our bikes have to have reverse beepers?
Or we have to wear blast armor?

Obviously, I'm being a little sarcastic but the idea is that, somebody passes a law for "safety" and whether it makes us safer or not, we now have another layer of complication and detail that must be kept in order.

"Sir, your gloves don't have the certification label and tax stamped affixed in the correct location, I will have to cite you".
"Oh, and look, your emergency flares and reflector kit is out of date, I will have to cite you again".
"Sir, I see you are wearing nonapproved music headphones, I will have to write you up for that too".

To have the idea that, "I ride clean. Those who don't deserve a ticket, so I don't mind if they single out motorcyclists", is the same as, "I'm don't speed so, automatic cameras along the roads are OK. Those speeders deserve to get tickets".

The real problem isn't safety violations or speeding. It's the erosion of rights and the difficulty of retrieving them.
Maybe I don't need that right at this moment, but somebody someday might. If we let them go now, they are gone.

The right to move around the country unhampered is good. Checkpoints for "safety" or for "DUI sweeps" are not.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:49 AM   #19
Stang Man
being rude

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2003 Z1000
2005 KTM 625 SMC(sold)
1994 ZX-11(sold)
1983 Honda Nighthawk(sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
dif is protecting others from 'you' vs protecting yourself from 'you'.
Thats kinda what my point was, too. Truckers are held to a higher standard because of the damage they can cause to others- in that case its totally understandable.

Either way, motorcycle checkpoints are shady as . I'm legal, and stay legal, but it doesn't mean I want to be singled out so they "Can just check me out".
Family bikes: V-Star 1100, Harley 883, KLR-650
Stang Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:33 AM   #20
Rykoson
Brawp Brawp!

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
www.shortfilmproductions.org
2009 YZF-R6-Rest in Peace
2011 ZX-6R Kawasaki Ninja-Track/Street