MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2011, 06:09 PM   #1
matemike
Grip it 'n' Rip it!

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR 750
2007 GSXR 600...tracked out

Member Garage

GF wants to go to the track (kinda)

Fiance rather.

Wants to go to the track and knows it would be fun, but she's nervous. NOT scared, just nervous. She's aware of the safety a TD has to offer as opposed to riding faster and faster on the street. She's just nervous about being the slowest person in novice and being a danger. I told her it's perfectly okay to go her own pace in novice, just be consistent and have fun putt putting around. I mentioned to just practice being smooth, Don't try to haul . That's not what novice is about. Instead, it's about riding and in general being comfortable on a closed course. I compared it to like riding around in the neighborhood without all the stop signs.

I've only offered the idea and she's taking it from here. I would not at all push her, especially since that could make it not fun if she felt she HAD to go. We don't want that.

She's been riding for several months now. She owns a Harley Sportster, but is deciding she likes my sport bikes better after all. (tried to tell her)
Anyway, with the half price offered by Ridesmart for first timers and free leather/boot rentals, the opportunity couldn't be better for us to go to MSRH on Dec 10th. The track is only ten minutes from the house too. And she'd borrow my trackbike, which she is very comfortable on, and I'd ride in a different level. You can share a bike for two different levels with Ride Smart if I'm not mistaking?
We'll just need to bring more gas.

Any feedback, advice, words of wisdom?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
...... GF sent me this.. Lucar Off Topic 8 07-27-2013 12:31 PM
MudBug's GF Phydeaux Off Topic 13 07-17-2009 08:35 AM
My new GF drsmallo General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 05-28-2009 07:15 AM
Anyone else's gf... seratt Off Topic 31 09-09-2008 10:48 AM
They blew up a poor bike... Kinda cool/kinda sad Solracer General Discussion (Moto Related) 25 09-21-2007 02:21 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-18-2011, 07:23 PM   #2
D03Cobra

Feedback Rating: (0)

Tell her don't worry about being the slowest person out there. I rather have 20 people out there slow who are learning, holding their line and predictable than some fast person who is clueless and dangerous. Trackday is not a race day, we will be showing her how to take her riding to the next level and confidence in the bike.

Make sure you talk to the tire rep for the best pressure for this time of the year, in colder weather you might need to run lower pressures to get the tires to heat up.
D03Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:46 PM   #3
lorin70

Experience: 10+ years

December may not be the best time of year to do it. You might consider waiting until the spring when it is more likely that the weather, and thus the entire experience, will be more pleasant. The beginner group is desigend for people to start slow and get comfortable on track. If she's not having fun no one is going to force her back onto the track for subsequent sessions.
FZ6
lorin70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:31 PM   #4
Cujo
RideSmart

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
R6
cbr 1k

Yes you can share bikes, Dec 10th shouldnt be to bad at MSRH. Weather is hit or miss but scince you live right there youd knw better than anyone lol.
CMRA #257, 2007 R6, 2007 CBR 1k
Cujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:43 PM   #5
hotcknstrips
Bevo's royal guard.

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
09 Buell 1125CR

Yeah, maybe wait for next season when it's warmer? And I wouldn't worry much about her being the slowest person, I'm sure an instructor will be available to control her riding.

If she's used to ride a harley, why not let her ride your bike, or get her own sportbike, and get comfortable on it on the street first?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Weird Lady
Mucus Membrane!
hotcknstrips is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement