MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > Performance and Modifications
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2011, 12:31 AM   #1
Bart
Thread killer

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2005 R6
'06 Suzuki Katana 750 (destroyed)

Infinity taillights

Just a little thought I had; while I'd love to be all badass and everything and be the first, I know how I am when it comes to projects... so have at it.

Take a moment to open a new tab and lookup " infinity mirror " (try YouTube) if you don't already know what it is.

Would this make for some kickass taillights/brakelights or what?

quick description: place a row of LED's with a mirror behind them, and a "one-way" mirror in front, with the reflective portion facing in. Effect is a ring of lights that seem to form a tunnel that goes inward several feet.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
integration beyond taillights Bart General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 03-29-2011 11:35 AM
looking for taillights alternatives on an 07 ZX6R mrceotri Performance and Modifications 9 12-19-2007 04:56 PM
TO INFINITY AND BEYOND......... FastLine General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 12-28-2006 07:59 AM
Advertisement
Old 12-01-2011, 10:27 PM   #2
Snarky
Eisen-Schwein!

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
'12 R1200 GS ADV
'09 Versys
'01 XT 225 (sold) :(

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart View Post
Just a little thought I had; while I'd love to be all badass and everything and be the first, I know how I am when it comes to projects... so have at it.

Take a moment to open a new tab and lookup " infinity mirror " (try YouTube) if you don't already know what it is.

Would this make for some kickass taillights/brakelights or what?

quick description: place a row of LED's with a mirror behind them, and a "one-way" mirror in front, with the reflective portion facing in. Effect is a ring of lights that seem to form a tunnel that goes inward several feet.
BTW, I love this idea. I've been looking into it. At Fry's they got those LED strips that you can change any color. They are 12v and when you power them on they resume the previous setting. So you could have them pulse red when the brake light is on. I'm looking for a good, thin, round enclosure for them.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:39 PM   #3
Bart
Thread killer

Bike(s):
2005 R6

hey... a response

I'm looking for a taillight for an '05 R6 right now so I have one to play with / mess up. Still wondering where I'll get the materials & what kind, how on earth to get glass cut if necessary... but hey nothing gets done 'til ya get started.

Good luck to anyone that beats me to it; y'all post up pics of any kind of unique taillight as such.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:52 PM   #4
Snarky
Eisen-Schwein!

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
'12 R1200 GS ADV
'09 Versys
'01 XT 225 (sold) :(

Member Garage

Here's a video of an infinity mirror in action, for anyone else interested. It doesn't look hard to scale down to tail light sized. I want to make some to stick on the rear of my panniers. I don't know how it would look, but it would be fun for a time.

My taillight doesn't lend itself to conversion.

They sell plexiglass sheets at Lowe's generally, so that ought to work, and be easy to cut and seal.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:22 AM   #5
Bart
Thread killer

Bike(s):
2005 R6

Research says that optimal reflectivity level is about 80% for the one-way glass (outer pane). If only 20% of the light from the LED's is actually emitted, it won't be safe/legal. Which is why I'll keep the OEM installed while trying.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:50 PM   #6
imma_stocker
cager

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 1

Cool trick, should def get attention from everyone behind you. Infinity mirrors are pretty simple things really, just think of reflective angles like bank shots playing pool. You want a reflective surface in the back and sides to get the effect but idk if it'll work without mirror tinting the outer tail light cover.

Here's what I would try:
1. Open stock tail light, gut what you need to get your concave well or cone (not sure what reflective angle you need)
2. Pull out the light sockets and what-not to wire-in some LEDs around your cone
3. Line your now gutted tail light with mirror tint or figure out how to mirror polish aluminum sheet
4. Wire in the lights and readjust your reflective well to get the effect you want
5. Use the stock tail light housing to keep everything nice but you may need to do some grinding and plastic polishing to reduce distortion
Old 01-04-2012, 05:16 PM   #7
OpnCskt
OpnCskt

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR 600 (Wrecked)
2008 GSXR 600

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky View Post

Here's a video of an infinity mirror in action, for anyone else interested. It doesn't look hard to scale down to tail light sized. I want to make some to stick on the rear of my panniers. I don't know how it would look, but it would be fun for a time.

My taillight doesn't lend itself to conversion.

They sell plexiglass sheets at Lowe's generally, so that ought to work, and be easy to cut and seal.
So the Mirrored tint is like car window tint from wal-mart?
OpnCskt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:24 AM   #8
Bart
Thread killer

Bike(s):
2005 R6

The mirrored tint is a specialty product; it's the stuff used to make "one-way" windows/mirrors for interrogation rooms.

I'd probably have to re-line the inner rim of the tail housing with l.e.d. strip lighting. Then of course it'd take new resistors probably. Still down the road. I don't think normal auto window tint would work.

Advertisement